HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next full season to have 21 PPV games.

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2004, 11:58 PM
BAuldie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan
Bang on. Geez people, it was only like 10 years ago when half the games weren't on TV anywhere. It's amazing how greedy people can get.

This is what bugs me -- how quickly people forget.

People act like every Canuck game used to be on TV, but now this blasted PPV has come in and stolen games from them. This is not true at all.

It used to be: 60 games on TV, 22 games nowhere.

Now, it's: 60 games on TV, 22 games on PPV.

Seriously, which is better?
Pfft.. you don't know how good you had it.. try not having cable when growing up and listening too all of the Canuck games on the radio.. even the playoff ones.. oh those were the days.. go Jim Robson go!

Old
07-09-2004, 01:06 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
It used to be: 60 games on TV, 22 games nowhere.

Now, it's: 60 games on TV, 22 games on PPV.

Seriously, which is better?
In 2001 VTV picked up some broadcasts as well as Sportsnet. I believe 79 games were on free TV that season.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Peter Griffin

The thing that pisses me off is the games that are shown on PPV. Sure there are a lot against the crappier teams, but when games against Detroit are supposedly "not wanted by Sportsnet or TSN", thats bullcrap and the Canucks are lying through their teeth.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
In 2001 VTV picked up some broadcasts as well as Sportsnet. I believe 79 games were on free TV that season.
Yeah well, we didn't have VTV over here in Kelowna.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
The thing that pisses me off is the games that are shown on PPV. Sure there are a lot against the crappier teams, but when games against Detroit are supposedly "not wanted by Sportsnet or TSN", thats bullcrap and the Canucks are lying through their teeth.
Somehow I doubt that Sportsnet sits down and goes "Hmmm, we'll take that one...and that one...not that one, we'll take that one...umm how many more picks do we get?"

It's probably based on something else.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:31 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Somehow I doubt that Sportsnet sits down and goes "Hmmm, we'll take that one...and that one...not that one, we'll take that one...umm how many more picks do we get?"

It's probably based on something else.
I remember Burke saying last year that the games that were on PPV were games that were unable to be broadcast(Saturday games) and games that Sportsnet/TSN didn't want to pick up.

Old
07-09-2004, 02:33 AM
orcatown

Man last year I ordered all the games but missed several because of heavy work schedule - that sucked. My wife who hates hockey watched them just so she wouldn't feel ripped off.

One thing I think they need to do is up grade the production. Having all these novice annoucers and ex-Canucks repeat the same point a gillzillion times is flat out boring. Also repeating the same player interview a 100 times (especially the one with Linden) gets a little tiresome. I like the feature where you can isolate on a player (I think everyone does it on Bert) and the parts where they get in the dressing room.

However, I will be very loathe to sign up again if the Canucks do not upgrade thru' free agency. I want to see some of the money going back into the team not just lining McCaw's pockets. That is if there is any room left in there to be lined.

Old
07-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Aerolanche

Great news for me...I love PPV games, it reminds me of the four times I've been to GM Place.

Old
07-09-2004, 03:37 AM
bert2nazzy

Send a message via MSN to bert2nazzy
Quote:
Sweet.

I love PPV. Tom and Shorty + TV + no ads.
+ money.

This is royal crap, ugg!!! I'll be ordering, most likely every game, i cant afford to miss 21 games.

Stupid Media is realising that Vancouver is hockey crazy.

Old
07-09-2004, 04:13 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2nazzy
+ money.

This is royal crap, ugg!!! I'll be ordering, most likely every game, i cant afford to miss 21 games.

Stupid Media is realising that Vancouver is hockey crazy.
Meh.

The money I pay for the PPV package is about the same it would cost to go to ONE game in person, right?

And I don't get to go to games in person.

Old
07-09-2004, 06:34 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
People act like every Canuck game used to be on TV, but now this blasted PPV has come in and stolen games from them. This is not true at all.
You're dead wrong on this. The number of games on "normal" tv *has* declined each year for the past three or four years. Last year, we had 2 or 3 less games than the year before. Next year, we'll probably have the same thing, since the PPV is up again. PPV games have gone from 4 to 10, to 17, now 21. Not all the increased in games have come from the "not scheduled to be televised" pile. They've been grabbing some from each. And it's not just attributable to the demise of VTV, the number of games on Sportsnet and CBC has declined.

Further, it's not just the quantity of games, it's the *quality* of games as well. The old untelevised games used to be the Florida's, Atlanta's, Columbus's of the world, while the televised games were the marquee matchups. Now, the PPV lineup has lots of games with teams like Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, while the "normal" broadcast gets the crappy teams.

PPV is a scourge, and most fans are too stupid to realise they're paying the hockey team to provide them less.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
You're dead wrong on this. The number of games on "normal" tv *has* declined each year for the past three or four years. Last year, we had 2 or 3 less games than the year before. Next year, we'll probably have the same thing, since the PPV is up again. PPV games have gone from 4 to 10, to 17, now 21. Not all the increased in games have come from the "not scheduled to be televised" pile. They've been grabbing some from each. And it's not just attributable to the demise of VTV, the number of games on Sportsnet and CBC has declined.

Further, it's not just the quantity of games, it's the *quality* of games as well. The old untelevised games used to be the Florida's, Atlanta's, Columbus's of the world, while the televised games were the marquee matchups. Now, the PPV lineup has lots of games with teams like Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, while the "normal" broadcast gets the crappy teams.

PPV is a scourge, and most fans are too stupid to realise they're paying the hockey team to provide them less.
yeah...uh...wrong.

The number of games sportsnet carries is set in their contract. It just feels like more BECAUSE NOT EVERY GAME USED TO BE TELEVISED.

Old
07-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Eddie Vedder

i'll be pimpin a combination of my friends US sattelite system and telus arena vision, and maybe a little bar action.

Im not worried.

Old
07-12-2004, 05:29 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
yeah...uh...wrong.

The number of games sportsnet carries is set in their contract. It just feels like more BECAUSE NOT EVERY GAME USED TO BE TELEVISED.
Yeah...uh... I'm not wrong. Perhaps you might wish to CHECK THE FACTS before pulling this crap out of your ass.

00/01 Sportsnet - 34 games televised
01/02 Sportsnet - 49 games televised (new deal signed)
02/03 Sportsnet - 46 games televised
03/04 Sportsnet - 45 games televised

Yes, they have a contract. It specifies a *minimum* of 45 games. We used to get more than the minimum. Now, we only get the minimum.

And in two more years, look for the new contract to have even fewer games.

02/03 + TSN 3, CBC 17, = total non-PPV games = 66
03/04 + TSN 3, CBC 15, = total non-PPV games = 63

The numbers *have* been declining the last few years by a few games each year. That is a fact.

Old
07-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Meh.

The money I pay for the PPV package is about the same it would cost to go to ONE game in person, right?

And I don't get to go to games in person.
Bingo. I'd rather pay for 21 games, pay what.. $120? I'm sure there's some sort of discount if you buy the entire package. And that dollar amount will get you maybe one Canuck ticket in a decent seat to a game. Sorry, but I'll take my 60 free games on TV and 20 PPV, rather than attending one or two in person.

Old
07-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Egil

1) Isn't the season going to lose 10 games and go down to 72 or so?

2) The Canucks should create a package that has all their PPV games and NHL Center Ice for a small discount

Old
07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Yeah...uh... I'm not wrong. Perhaps you might wish to CHECK THE FACTS before pulling this crap out of your ass.

Yes, they have a contract. It specifies a *minimum* of 45 games. We used to get more than the minimum. Now, we only get the minimum.

The numbers *have* been declining the last few years by a few games each year. That is a fact.
Congrats. Have a cookie. BTW, the fact that rogers is not choosing to show more games than their contract sets as the minimum is not the fault of PPV, it's roger's choice. They probably figure they can make more money on certain dates covering certain events. The 'scourge' of PPV is just picking up the games not covered. I really don't understand how anybody is offended by this.

Old
07-12-2004, 04:22 PM
TonyTanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Congrats. Have a cookie. BTW, the fact that rogers is not choosing to show more games than their contract sets as the minimum is not the fault of PPV, it's roger's choice. They probably figure they can make more money on certain dates covering certain events. The 'scourge' of PPV is just picking up the games not covered. I really don't understand how anybody is offended by this.
I'd bet a large sum of money Sportsnet would love to have more then 45 games to broadcast. Just because the Canucks won't let the games be televised doesn't mean that no one wants to broadcast them.

Old
07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Quote:

How many games were shown before PPV existed?

34 games on sportsnet + TSN 3, CBC 15 = 52 games.

52 games on TV, 30 games to be shown nowhere.

Last year it was 63 games on TV and 19 games on PPV.

Which is better? I don't get the whining.

Old
07-12-2004, 05:06 PM
C'nuckleHead

No commercials... I love it!

Old
07-12-2004, 05:39 PM
nazzy

Quote:
How many games were shown before PPV existed?

34 games on sportsnet + TSN 3, CBC 15 = 52 games.

52 games on TV, 30 games to be shown nowhere.

Last year it was 63 games on TV and 19 games on PPV.

Which is better? I don't get the whining.
Before PPV existed, VTV was still around and they/Sportsnet brodcasted most of the games along with a few CBC games. Then VTV merged into CTV and games were no longer shown on CTV Vancouver, just Sportsnet.

I think there was one season where there was a lot of games shown nowhere but im not sure at all on that.

Old
07-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Well I didn't get VTV over here, so I wouldn't know.

Closed Thread