HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Could Salvation Be At Hand For The Florida Panthers?

Old
11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Sure Burke won Anaheim a cup.. but uhh he left Vancouver in shambles, and now hes leaving Anaheim in shambles with 14 ufa I believe.

Screw that crap.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Burke isn't what this team needs. It needs consistency from its star players and maybe 1 more scoring forward. Plenty of talent on the blue line and in net, and some forward talent too. Maybe add 1 more scorer and this team really should be on track.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Crossbar

Burke is the most hated and overrated GM in hockey, why on earth would we want him? So we can have very few trade partners, get into cap trouble, and then be forced to put good/decent players on waivers? No thanks.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Burke is the most hated and overrated GM in hockey, why on earth would we want him? So we can have very few trade partners, get into cap trouble, and then be forced to put good/decent players on waivers? No thanks.
You're not kidding there. Burke has done HORRIBLE with the cap.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:37 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Stay
the
Course
Yarp. Anyone who says JM isn't doing his job right is plain wrong. Our team is better in every category and he hasn't made a single mess-up since stepping down as Coach.

Everyone thought Tampa was doing the right thing when they made 400 trades and 400 signings for a bunch of people they thought we're good...Didn't turn out well did it? Doing whats popular isn't always whats right.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Yarp. Anyone who says JM isn't doing his job right is plain wrong. Our team is better in every category and he hasn't made a single mess-up since stepping down as Coach.

Everyone thought Tampa was doing the right thing when they made 400 trades and 400 signings for a bunch of people they thought we're good...Didn't turn out well did it? Doing whats popular isn't always whats right.
I was one who was very down on all the moves TBL made. In all honesty, the correct way to word that would be: Currently not working out well, not "didn't." Koules and Barrie need to relax and allow the team to gel. They keep making all these trades and it's not at all helping with chemistry.

Still, signing Malone and Vrbata (two guys with tags of not living up to expectations) to play with Stamkos was a mistake.

11-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

One of the main reasons Burke is leaving Anaheim is to be closer to his first family in the northeast. He's not coming here. Besides, Cohen can't afford him anyway.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Hit Somebody

Burke is a bit of a maverick (if I can say that). He's really not all that much different than Keenan. He favors experienced players over youngsters. Looks for hard nosed Europeans and prefers the North American type player. No argument from me on those attributes.

I don't think that he would come into a situation as unstable as the Panthers unless he was given full autonomy. Meaning maybe he comes in as VP of Hockey Operations to advise and watch over JM's shoulder and the rest of the team.
At some point JM would probably get tired of that, and there's no way he wins a power struggle with Burke.

If Cohen hires Burke and fires Martin, that does fly into the stability issue. And then we have created another monster.

Although, we have done this kind of thing before, it wouldnt surprise me if it happened. Alot depends on what the Panthers do by X-mas. If they are not in a playoff spot, and have not yet traded Jay, then I think things will happen.
The question is, do we wait that long?

Hit Somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Quote:
Everyone thought Tampa was doing the right thing when they made 400 trades and 400 signings for a bunch of people they thought we're good...Didn't turn out well did it?
I hate Tampa, but the last time I checked they have more points then the Panthers...

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 04:53 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
I hate Tampa, but the last time I checked they have more points then the Panthers...
Rofl its been how many games? When Mike Smith goes back to his usual self, which he will, they will still be one of the worst teams. They gave Malone a laughable contract and are below us in goals-for. The only reason they are above us is because they lost 1 game in overtime instead of regulation.

**Edit: Also, does 4-0 ring a bell?

Old
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
FlaPanthers7

SI.com has a rumour that the 3 teams interested in Burke are Boston, Chicago and Toronto.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Quote:
Rofl its been how many games? When Mike Smith goes back to his usual self, which he will, they will still be one of the worst teams. They gave Malone a laughable contract and are below us in goals-for. The only reason they are above us is because they lost 1 game in overtime instead of regulation.

**Edit: Also, does 4-0 ring a bell?
Yes.. that's one of a handful of wins that this team has. Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back listen to your own advice. It's a long season.

**Edit: Also, does a 6-game loosing streak ring a bell?

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Panthers_Fan

I don't think Burke is the answer...To his credit he was GM of a recent cup winning team, but since then he's made some questionable moves (Bertuzzi?, Bobby Ryan in the AHL because of cap mismanagement?) that have handicapped the Ducks with the cap (to be fair some of that is the fault of Scott Neidermayer and Selanne).

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 10:06 PM
jal2155

Who was in charge of the Senators when they drafted Hossa, Havlat, Spezza and Redden? We need that guy. (I'm pretty sure they all went under the same GM--maybe Muckler.)

Still, I'd rather stay the course, since stability is necessary for success. I want to see what Martin can do, now that he has only one responsibility.

jal2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:47 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
Yes.. that's one of a handful of wins that this team has. Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back listen to your own advice. It's a long season.

**Edit: Also, does a 6-game loosing streak ring a bell?
We've beaten teams like San Jose and Anaheim...I'm pretty sure that we're a good team and a good amount of teams go through trouble at times in the season. I'd rather talk about it again in a month to see whose right.

Old
11-14-2008, 03:07 PM
jol

How about following, Brian Burke to Toronto (as GM), Cliff Fletcher to Florida (as Hockey tzar (sp)), Martin stays as GM.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 06:15 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Marakkech? Where's that? What're you doing there?

I think it's a lot more than "this team sucks," etc. There's a lot to this team's psyche, it's fragile. They're riding high right now.

yeah, that does seem to be how it always is.
it's a surreal oasis in morocco, north africa and i'm just killin' some time before a conference in spain next week

haven't read the detroit thread yet and haven't seen the score so i'm not sure just how high we're riding now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
How about following, Brian Burke to Toronto (as GM), Cliff Fletcher to Florida (as Hockey tzar (sp)), Martin stays as GM.
ah... how about no and no. as madhatter said in his best capt kirk, stay the course.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
ESPN's Scott Burnside lists Florida as one of the landing spots for Brian Burke.

Florida Panthers
Speaking of franchises with myriad problems, is there a worse team from top to bottom in the NHL? We suggest not. But if owner Alan Cohen ever wanted to turn this tub around, he should be on the phone to Burke at the earliest opportunity. With all due respect to GM Jacques Martin, he is ill-qualified to do the job, and the team's moribund performance so far this season (14th in the Eastern Conference as of Wednesday) suggests yet another year without playoffs in a market where the team already has laid off staff because of the economy.

The Panthers must decide what to do with top defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season; and, after the team botched the June 2006 trade of franchise netminder Roberto Luongo, this stands as a seminal moment in the team's history. Which would you rather have pulling the trigger on such a deal: Martin, who was forced to become a GM after failing as a coach, or Burke? Asked and answered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=3699161

I'll believe it when it happens though if Cohen wanted to give Panther Fans a Christmas present this would be an excellent one.
Brian Burke isn't the answer to the Panthers woes...and he won't go to Florida anyways, he'll end up in the Northeast part of North America. More than likely Toronto.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Brian Burke isn't the answer to the Panthers woes...and he won't go to Florida anyways, he'll end up in the Northeast part of North America. More than likely Toronto.
Honestly, as disapointed as I am with being dead last on the PP, and on the bottom of the East, I do want to see how this team gels. We did keep up with Detroit,and beat the Ducks and Sharks so I think we do have a decent team but we need at least 1 more scorer and need A LOT of work on the powerplay.

So I say,keep Martin for rest of season to see how the season pans out

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:59 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Martin stays till next season at least, IMO. He needs to be given one more offseason to see how he addresses the Bouwmeester situation, and what he does with our forwards. It has been mentioned several times that he has fixed the goalie situation one year, and the defense the second year. So we all think the third year he will fix the forward spot. lets give him that offseason to see what he does. I think for what he has done so far, he deserves it.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
it's a surreal oasis in morocco, north africa and i'm just killin' some time before a conference in spain next week

haven't read the detroit thread yet and haven't seen the score so i'm not sure just how high we're riding now...

ah... how about no and no. as madhatter said in his best capt kirk, stay the course.
Nice, sounds like fun.

They lost, hopefully they understand that they played well against the defending champs.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:51 AM
+73*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Oh, we most definitely deserve criticism. But to say top to bottom we are the worst team? ********! Our offense sucks and our defense and goaltending is far above average. I can name at least 5 teams who are way worse off then we are.
pls name these five teams... in the NHL, right?

+73* is offline   Reply With Quote