HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Patrick really deserve the honor?

Old
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
rocketlives

vCash: 500
Does Patrick really deserve the honor?

Roy is the winningest goalkeeper in NHL history and he played a little more than half his career with the Montreal Canadiens. I guess he deserves to have his number 33 retired at the Bell center but I won't watch the ceremony.

Patrick didn't have a gun on his head when, in December 1995, he raised his arms in defiance of the fans and went to Corey's seat in the crowd telling him he had played his last game with the Habs.

If the Habs had then traded him to the Winnipeg Jets, he would never have become the winningest goalie in the league.

In this centennial year, I would have like to see the jerseys of the Rocket's two linemates on the Punch Line retired: no 16 for Elmer Lach and no 6 for Toe Blake. The Habs had a glorious team in the mid forties which also won 2 Stanley Cups. It makes no sense that Maurice Richard is the only player of that era who had his jersey raised to the rafters. Someone didn't do his job.

Was it Frank Selke Sr, was it the guy who was President then or one of the Molsons. I really don't know but Ronald Corey or Pierre Boivin should have corrected that mistake. Roy could have waited another year.

Last edited by rocketlives: 11-17-2008 at 11:08 AM.
rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Judge Sauer*

yes.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
ReVeuF

without Roy we would not have won the cup in 30 years and be laughed at like the Leafs...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:59 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Roy was pushed around until he gave up and left. I can't begin to imagine the amount of crap he got from Tremblay. Considering Roy's temper (which is partly what made him so great), its not surprise that things came to a head in such a dramatic fashion.

But that is not why he will have his number retired. The 33 is going up because Roy took the team more or less on his own to get two cups. He also revolutionize goaltending style (butterfly). He was pretty much the last superstar the habs had.

So yeah he deserves it. Toe Blake and some others might deserve it as well, but that doesn't diminish Roy's involvment and impact on the Habs' history.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Newhabfan

yes

/end thread

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:05 AM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
without Roy we would not have won the cup in 30 years and be laughed at like the Leafs...
Scary thought !!

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:17 AM
TheCH*

This topic has been beat to death already on here!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:20 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
yes

/end thread
+1
exactly what i thought

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:30 AM
McTusk

Your name is rocketlives but were you alive in 86 and 93?

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
In this centennial year, I would have like to see the jerseys of the Rocket's two linemates on the Punch Line retired: no 16 for Elmer Lach and no 6 for Toe Blake. The Habs had a glorious team in the mid forties which won 2 Stanley Cups. It makes no sense that Maurice Richard is the only player of that era who had his jersey raised to the rafters. Someone didn't do his job.
I think Durnan is the one from that era that should have had his number retired. His level of dominance over a short career was almost Dryden-like. I believe he wore #1, so he should have been jointly honoured with Jacques Plante.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Roy is the winningest goalkeeper in NHL history and he played a little more than half his career with the Montreal Canadiens. I guess he deserves to have his number 33 retired at the Bell center but I won't watch the ceremony.

Patrick didn't have a gun on his head when, in December 1995, he raised his arms in defiance of the fans and went to Corey's seat in the crowd telling him he had played his last game with the Habs.

If the Habs had then traded him to the Winnipeg Jets, he would never have become the winningest goalie in the league.

In this centennial year, I would have like to see the jerseys of the Rocket's two linemates on the Punch Line retired: no 16 for Elmer Lach and no 6 for Toe Blake. The Habs had a glorious team in the mid forties which won 2 Stanley Cups. It makes no sense that Maurice Richard is the only player of that era who had his jersey raised to the rafters. Someone didn't do his job.

Was it Frank Selke Sr, was it the guy who was President then or one of the Molsons. I really don't know but Ronald Corey or Pierre Boivin should have corrected that mistake. Roy could have waited another year.
I'm really fed up with the people still bitter about how Roy left.
MOVE THE **** ON!

Roy got us our 2 last cups, without him we don't even come close to the finals. His records speak for themselves and it's the perfect time because Brodeur is close to a few of them. Next year, he'll most likely have beat a couple of them.

As for your claim that he wouldn't have the most Wins had he been traded to the jets, well that's just a dumb statement. This is a pure assumption from your part that is completely useless because he DIDN'T get traded there and he IS the goalie with the most wins.
So stop inventing scenarios, it won't change the facts.

In this centennial year, I'm very happy Roy's jersey is getting retired. I'm 25years old, much respect to the old Habs, but I couldn't care less about Elmer Lach or Toe Blake.
Who better to honor than the guy that got us our 2most recent cups?..it's perfect timing.

It also annoys me a great deal to see some people hesitant as to Roy's jersey retirement when he is arguably the best goalie of All-Time. Just because he had internal problems with the Habs and he went out making a big splash, doesn't mean he's not deserving.

In terms of individual accomplishments, there isn't one player that is more deserving than Roy to have his jersey retired.

It's been 13years, get over it little baby.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
otto bond

Quote:

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Habsolutely

I'm so tired of seeing this topic...Get over it already.

What's amazing about this coming Saturday, is that we won't see these threads anymore!

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Pascal

Roy was the Canadiens from 86 up until his trade. What he did in 86 and 93 was amazing and in itself makes him worthy.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:53 AM
LyleOdelein

I think some people need to look past the thread title and read the OP more closely. The level of ire in a few of the posts I've seen is undeserved. Rocketlives is not saying that Roy's jersey should never be retired, he's just saying that he would prefer to see a couple of the Habs from Richard's era honoured in the Centennial year, rather than Roy. He clearly states that the Habs could wait to retire Roy's jersey next year, so he obviously is open to the idea that Roy is more or less deserving of the honour.

I personally think that we should have our cake and eat it too in this situation. I would have loved if the Habs would have decided to retire a couple of the overlooked players from the history of the Habs, as well as Roy's jersey this year. I am 27 years old, so Roy's the greatest player I've seen on this franchise (although I did get to see a bit of Big Bird in his last year here). However, I know enough about this team's history to recognize that there are some players who's contributions to the Habs have been overlooked for one reason or another and I would certainly not mind seeing one or two of them honoured this season as well.

The Centennial is about celebrating the entire history of this great franchise, so I think it would be fitting to honour the last great Hab (Roy), and one or two of the other great Habs from bygone eras. I know that if there's a slew of jersey retirements, that there's logistical problems, but I'm not worried about new players having to wear less conventional numbers, if it's the result of paying tribute to the men that built and carried the legacy of this team.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
mcphee

[QUOTE=Kriss E;16367053]I'm really fed up with the people still bitter about how Roy left.
MOVE THE **** ON!

Roy got us our 2 last cups, without him we don't even come close to the finals. His records speak for themselves and it's the perfect time because Brodeur is close to a few of them. Next year, he'll most likely have beat a couple of them.

As for your claim that he wouldn't have the most Wins had he been traded to the jets, well that's just a dumb statement. This is a pure assumption from your part that is completely useless because he DIDN'T get traded there and he IS the goalie with the most wins.
So stop inventing scenarios, it won't change the facts.

In this centennial year, I'm very happy Roy's jersey is getting retired. I'm 25years old, much respect to the old Habs, but I couldn't care less about Elmer Lach or Toe Blake.
Who better to honor than the guy that got us our 2most recent cups?..it's perfect timing.

It also annoys me a great deal to see some people hesitant as to Roy's jersey retirement when he is arguably the best goalie of All-Time. Just because he had internal problems with the Habs and he went out making a big splash, doesn't mean he's not deserving.

In terms of individual accomplishments, there isn't one player that is more deserving than Roy to have his jersey retired.

It's been 13years, get over it little baby.[/QUOTE]

Pretty well, you're a very ignorant young man.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
snakeye

I probably already said this a few times, but the attitude that ended his career in Montreal is the same attitude that won us two Stanley cups. Either you accept that or you don't, but you can't cut Roy in half and say I'll take the two stanley cups, but don't agree with his number being retired because of the way he left the team.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Roy was pushed around until he gave up and left. I can't begin to imagine the amount of crap he got from Tremblay. Considering Roy's temper (which is partly what made him so great), its not surprise that things came to a head in such a dramatic fashion.

But that is not why he will have his number retired. The 33 is going up because Roy took the team more or less on his own to get two cups. He also revolutionize goaltending style (butterfly). He was pretty much the last superstar the habs had.

So yeah he deserves it. Toe Blake and some others might deserve it as well, but that doesn't diminish Roy's involvment and impact on the Habs' history.
I think that those 2 phrases are grossly overstated and have grown in legend over the years.

I think Roy deserves this honor. I think that of the players that have had their sweaters raised, I probably have the least good feelings about him personally, but he merits it.

Old
11-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I think some people need to look past the thread title and read the OP more closely. The level of ire in a few of the posts I've seen is undeserved. Rocketlives is not saying that Roy's jersey should never be retired, he's just saying that he would prefer to see a couple of the Habs from Richard's era honoured in the Centennial year, rather than Roy. He clearly states that the Habs could wait to retire Roy's jersey next year, so he obviously is open to the idea that Roy is more or less deserving of the honour.

I personally think that we should have our cake and eat it too in this situation. I would have loved if the Habs would have decided to retire a couple of the overlooked players from the history of the Habs, as well as Roy's jersey this year. I am 27 years old, so Roy's the greatest player I've seen on this franchise (although I did get to see a bit of Big Bird in his last year here). However, I know enough about this team's history to recognize that there are some players who's contributions to the Habs have been overlooked for one reason or another and I would certainly not mind seeing one or two of them honoured this season as well.

The Centennial is about celebrating the entire history of this great franchise, so I think it would be fitting to honour the last great Hab (Roy), and one or two of the other great Habs from bygone eras. I know that if there's a slew of jersey retirements, that there's logistical problems, but I'm not worried about new players having to wear less conventional numbers, if it's the result of paying tribute to the men that built and carried the legacy of this team.
Well said. The masses on this board post reactionary thoughts and have no substance in their argument. If Roy had been dealt to Winnipeg, his career would have ended in like Jack Nicholson in About Schmidt.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think that those 2 phrases are grossly overstated and have grown in legend over the years.

I think Roy deserves this honor. I think that of the players that have had their sweaters raised, I probably have the least good feelings about him personally, but he merits it.
Yeah, maybe an overstatement, but didn't he win the conn smyth both times? Basically he was a huge factor to those two cups. As for Tremblay, its pretty clear that he was on Roy's back for a while at that point. Tremblay wanted to be the only boss in the room, and Roy wasn't too happy about that (as well as a few others).

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I had mixed feelings about Roy's jersey number being retired. But as usual, us Habs fans are making much ado about nothing. If Carbo and Gainey are OK with it, why shouldn't I be?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post

Patrick Roy appeals to a desirable demographic though. The Durnan and Butch Bouchard fans aren't buying ipods by th etruckload, and certainly not jerseys.

Yeah, a bit cynical.

Old
11-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't mind this happening because this will be a happy day and the Habs should be a happy family.

But if it were me, the moment Patrick made a scene at the Forum(or Molson Centre?) and disgraced what the Habs were all about he should have been banned for life.

But it's not my call. And i'll accept it since it's the 100th.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I had mixed feelings about Roy's jersey number being retired. But as usual, us Habs fans are making much ado about nothing. If Carbo and Gainey are OK with it, why shouldn't I be?
That's the way I look at it. If you want to try and impose a standard, it's hard to imagine what it might be. Maybe Savard and Gainey don't qualify, Boomer ?

What I do know is that I enjoy the ceremony and remembering the times I watched the guy and his contemporaries play.

For all we make of these feuds and lingering bitterness, I don't think players and people in the game look at it the same way.

Old
11-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I've come to accept that a large portion of Habs fans want to see his number retired (the vast majority for all I know), and that it will be a special moment for them so they should be able to enjoy it.

That being said, I won't be watching the ceremony.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote