HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why do the Rangers always play more games than everybody?

Old
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Larry Brooks about 5 years ago said that another reason for the front loaded schedule (not true now) was that back in the early part of this decade and the late 90s the Rangers were always a veteran laden team and wanted to have an easier schedule on the vets late in the season.
I find it hard to believe that the league is making a schedule to benefit a certain team at that team's request. Perhaps Brooks wrote that it was a blessing that those veteran laden teams were assigned the schedule that they did, and not that it was was developed specially for the team.

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:57 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Why wouldn't they just have a home heavy early schedule if MSG booking was a problem? I mean, it works out well for the team, but for a more balanced 82 game span, why not make the majority of the home games early in the season, and avoid the MSG scheduling problems? The NHL does things in a very weird way, but hey I'm not going to complain, a lighter stretch at the end of the season is great.
I'm sure the team would fight it they were forced to play the majority of their games on the road in the second half of the season. At least the home/away distribution remains even throughout the year this way. Can you imagine the uproar from both the team and the fans if they were subjected to multiple grueling road trips during the most important time of the season?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I think Dallas had this problem last year....I remember them being something like 9 pts up on San Jose, and San Jose had played 5 fewer games, then won all of them, and a whole bunch more, to run away with the division, lol.

Lately though, it seems like the Stars are playing a game a week.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:23 PM
hdw

I actually did the points per game math yesterday for a completely different reason and the changes insignificant.

Sharks still lead at 1.61 pts/game, Rangers (1.53) and Red Wings (1.56) swap places.

But all down the list there's almost no changes (or very minor).

The differences are more down to what teams they've met, home/away and such things.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
It's the Circus and the chance that the Knicks might make the playoffs.
Well that could be this year they're making tremendous strides this year.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news..._fans_discover

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:21 AM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Sharks and Ducks have both played 19 games, 1 behind the Rangers 20, and the Sharks play tomorrow, making it their 20th. Rangers play their 21st tomorrow. It is a pain, think the teams gonna get tired out and all that, but that's just how it goes some times.

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
I find it hard to believe that the league is making a schedule to benefit a certain team at that team's request. Perhaps Brooks wrote that it was a blessing that those veteran laden teams were assigned the schedule that they did, and not that it was was developed specially for the team.

I think he said teams were request backloaded, frontloaded or evenly distributed schedules and the NHL would try to accomodate. Again though it is a really old article and I dont think I have heard him mention it since so I could be wrong.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote