HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carbo Post Game Comments?

Old
11-17-2008, 12:22 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
Carbo Post Game Comments?

Does anyone have his postgame comments.

According to the Gazette, he was PLEASED with the game in St.Louis!

Maybe we should be starting a "I want whatever carbo is smoking thread"?

If we play like this against Carolina...we'll get smoked worse than the 6-1 killing in Boston.

He can't be serious.... can he???

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
He was pleased with both weekend games.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
My guess is he was happy with the level of effort, if not happy with the execution. So far this season the effort wasn't there.

Also he is trying to give them back some confidence. If you look at the last two games, they have been playing poorly because they have been nervous (not a lack of effort). So he is trying to quell that fear to get them back into top shape.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

The team played better in both weekend games, too.

Don't know why he shouldn't be pleased with getting 2 points on the road, OP, would you care to enlighten us? Does the improvement not merit at least a temporary slowdown of bashing Carbo (WTK excluded, he's got his bÍte noire and he's sticking to it.)

Yes I saw the game - we've been better - we played better than against Philly and in Philly we played better than against Boston. Hopefully we'll play better still vs. Carolina.

You want him to say "this team is terrible, their efforts will never result in wins at this rate" ?????

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:33 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I agree. The effort was there, they are clearly just discouraged. When you aren't confident, you lose that extra push that gives you the lucky bounces (as strange as that sounds).

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Krautso

I think Carbo was pleased with the defensive positioning and the overall effort level. The team did not capitalize on its chances and seemed out of sync on the PP but they did work hard. This wasn't a game where they turned the talent on for 10 minutes and won a hockeygame. They spent two periods in the blues zone (not shooting, mind you, but whatever) and battled hard to win.

I think it was a good win for the club. Winning when you're not firing on all cylinders is good. It was nowhere near the debacle against the bruins or the leafs - there was no effort or positioning in those games and the games got out of hand because of it.

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
MathMan

The effort was there... and so were the two points.

Considering that the game was on the road, less than 24 hours before the start of the previous game after a hefty plane flight, it wasn't a bad result at all. Certainly an improvement.

Don't forget all the posts, either.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Miller Time

I was a little annoyed with his comments as well...

especially when you compare it to Murray's comments (st-louis coach), who said something along the lines of: those guys (habs) are supposed to be one of the top teams in the league, im proud with how the guys played and happy that we got a point out of it...

contrast that with some of carb's comments:
''I thought tonight was one of our best games,'' Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau said. ''We were able to battle back in the third and win it in a shootout, so we're really happy.''

who was the favorite team in that game? who "should" be expecting to win if they play well?
Does Carbo really believe that our "best game" = a shoot-out win over a short-handed st-louis? and if it's just the context of being our best game this season... well 16 games in shouldn't a team with lofty expectations be playing a heck of a lot better than that?

it's about expectations, and style.

carbo doesn't seem to be concerned about holding the guys as accountable as some around here (including me) would like.

Some people prefer "softer" coaching styles, some prefer the more "abrasive" (and mind you, murray is known as one of the more abrasive type guys).

certainly in the NHL, and in every other sports league, there are many examples of both ways succeeding.

but i think it's fair for some people to be questioning how a "supposed" cup contending team can be "Happy" with needing a shoot-out to beat a reeling bottom tier team.

"happy to get the points but we can/need to play better"...
"happy that we are moving in the right direction, and we know we can play better"...
"happy about the win, but I hope/know nobody is satisfied with this performance"...

something, anything, that indicates a little more fire, a little more expectation, a little more realization that this team can and should take it to a team like the blues, especially after they lose one of their best players/1st C in the first period.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

carbo doesn't seem to be concerned about holding the guys as accountable as some around here (including me) would like.

Some people prefer "softer" coaching styles, some prefer the more "abrasive" (and mind you, murray is known as one of the more abrasive type guys).

certainly in the NHL, and in every other sports league, there are many examples of both ways succeeding.
Unlike us, he is the coach. And his declarations to the media are part of his coaching.

He can't go blasting his players in the media after the last game, even if he might feel like it. You want your team to build on last night painful success. The same applies to Murray.

There is a time for "holding players acountable" like after the Toronto game. But it was not yesterday.

And besides, they actually did work last night. They lacked precision in execution and luck. But this will come.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Unlike us, he is the coach. And his declarations to the media are part of his coaching.

He can't go blasting his players in the media after the last game, even if he might feel like it. You want your team to build on last night painful success. The same applies to Murray.

There is a time for "holding players acountable" like after the Toronto game. But it was not yesterday.

And besides, they actually did work last night. They lacked precision in execution and luck. But this will come.
obviously psychology goes into everything he says, and what he says to the media might be exactly the opposite to what he says in the dressing room (in this case im actually pretty sure it was)...
i get all of this.

i just personally prefer a guy in the Parcells/Bowman model, who have no reservations about calling out there team/players, and who tend to hold themselves (and by default the team they run) to a higher standard than even the media/fans.

we arent talking about little boys and girls playing house-league here, if a guy is going to get his panties in a knot because his coach expects effort AND execution, than he probably isn't built for professional sports.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Maverik

Quote:

especially when you compare it to Murray's comments (st-louis coach), who said something along the lines of: those guys (habs) are supposed to be one of the top teams in the league, im proud with how the guys played and happy that we got a point out of it...

''I thought tonight was one of our best games,'' Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau said. ''We were able to battle back in the third and win it in a shootout, so we're really happy.''

who was the favorite team in that game? who "should" be expecting to win if they play well?
Does Carbo really believe that our "best game" = a shoot-out win over a short-handed st-louis? and if it's just the context of being our best game this season... well 16 games in shouldn't a team with lofty expectations be playing a heck of a lot better than that?

but i think it's fair for some people to be questioning how a "supposed" cup contending team can be "Happy" with needing a shoot-out to beat a reeling bottom tier team.

"happy that we are moving in the right direction, and we know we can play better"...
"happy about the win, but I hope/know nobody is satisfied with this performance"...

something, anything, that indicates a little more fire, a little more expectation, a little more realization that this team can and should take it to a team like the blues, especially after they lose one of their best players/1st C in the first period.
What the media or what the fans expect of the Habs is not what Carbo expect of his players. Who cares if Murray thought that Montreal should have trounced his team, that's his motivationnal speech for his players.

We all know, including Carbo, that Montreal is NOT the best team in the East. Maybe they should, but they have not been playing that way all season, so untill they can show me for a good period of time that they are the best team in the East, I am going to treat them as what they are, a good hockey team, not the best. Carbo is doing the same.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:47 AM
mcphee

Quote:
obviously psychology goes into everything he says, and what he says to the media might be exactly the opposite to what he says in the dressing room (in this case im actually pretty sure it was)...
i get all of this.

i just personally prefer a guy in the Parcells/Bowman model, who have no reservations about calling out there team/players, and who tend to hold themselves (and by default the team they run) to a higher standard than even the media/fans.

we arent talking about little boys and girls playing house-league here, if a guy is going to get his panties in a knot because his coach expects effort AND execution, than he probably isn't built for professional sports.
MT, one of Bowman's many attributes was when to be a ***** and when to be nice. Being a tough guy after the Toronto game meant that he has to dial it back for a bit. It's a parenting 101 mistake and we all make it. You yell about the same thing too loud and too long and they stop listening.

I think Carno says what he thinks is in the team's best interests at that moment. What he thinks or believes may not be relevant. He calls players out, lets it be known, but you can't do it consistently.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
dutchy29

I agree with many above posts, the coach needs to have a positive comment, positive reinforcement every now and then or you risk losing the room. The Habs have battled back the past two games following a horrid display vs. Boston. I also think Carbo is trying to focus the team on "the win" because at the end of the day thats all that matters, however ugly or maybe undeserved at times if we can focus on winning and not how bad our PP is or injuries or whatever then we will do alright.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
dutchy29

Quote:

I could'nt disagree more with your overall attitude here. Their are many top notch teams in the league right now and the difference between a first place finish and 8th is often 10 points or so. I really don't think the Canadiens or Carbo or Gainey think their "cup contenders" or a "favorite" I think its their goal and their aim but don't go waltzing around thinking just because we finished 1st in the conference last year that we are some kind of shoe in to face Detroit in the cup final. If the Habs carried the same attitude you have displayed in this post on the ice they would be dead in the water. (or ice)

Old
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
I could'nt disagree more with your overall attitude here. Their are many top notch teams in the league right now and the difference between a first place finish and 8th is often 10 points or so. I really don't think the Canadiens or Carbo or Gainey think their "cup contenders" or a "favorite" I think its their goal and their aim but don't go waltzing around thinking just because we finished 1st in the conference last year that we are some kind of shoe in to face Detroit in the cup final. If the Habs carried the same attitude you have displayed in this post on the ice they would be dead in the water. (or ice)
???

I read and re-read my post, and I can't seem to find the sense in your response.

I'm not advocating that gainey/carbo/players walk around talking about how they are the best or thinking that they have an automatic bye into the cup finals...

but if you think that this collection of players that make up the 2008-09 habs roster should be happy about a performance that allows them to in a shoot-out against one of the worst teams in the league after almost 1/4 of the season, then we have a difference of opinion about expectations.

Expecting to live up to your potential, expecting to perform at a high level, expecting to play consistently... these are the expectations of champions, regardless of the sport.

Nothing wrong with losing, obviously this team will lose a ton of games this season. but if the goal is indeed the stanley cup, then you have to have a certain level of expectation in regards to nightly performance... you don't just "magically" make the playoffs and stroll to the cup... you build and build and build all season long, and you have to believe that your team has what it takes (talent, desire, depth) to get to that level.

anyways, i don't pretend to know what's in carbo's head, and I'm not even calling him out for his comments...
I just personally prefer a coach that is more apt to hold high standards of execution/performance, consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
MT, one of Bowman's many attributes was when to be a ***** and when to be nice. Being a tough guy after the Toronto game meant that he has to dial it back for a bit. It's a parenting 101 mistake and we all make it. You yell about the same thing too loud and too long and they stop listening.

I think Carno says what he thinks is in the team's best interests at that moment. What he thinks or believes may not be relevant. He calls players out, lets it be known, but you can't do it consistently.
you're absolutely right McP... that's why coaches like Burns, Hitchcock, Keenan, Tortorella (recent example), tend to flame out relatively quickly despite undeniably leading their teams to great success. their style wears thin, as few athletes are able to handle the pressure for more than a few seasons, cup ring or not, playoff success or not.

Teams are faced with the choice of dramatically overhauling the roster, or changing coaches, and the latter is much easier.

Smart guys, like Bowman (or Parcells and Belicheck in the NfL) either put themselves in positions of enough power to move guys who can't deal with/stop responding to the "Noise" any longer, or they simply move on and wait for another up and coming team to take over and start from scratch again... unfortunately (or not) parents don't have that kind of power

We'll see if Carbo master's the "nice guy" routine well enough to keep this group of players playing well enough to go to the promise land. I certainly hope he succeeds. i just tend to be more inclined to appreciate the guys that arrive like a wrecking ball, even if it means burning out (too) fast...

Old
11-18-2008, 10:39 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
???

I read and re-read my post, and I can't seem to find the sense in your response.

I'm not advocating that gainey/carbo/players walk around talking about how they are the best or thinking that they have an automatic bye into the cup finals...

but if you think that this collection of players that make up the 2008-09 habs roster should be happy about a performance that allows them to in a shoot-out against one of the worst teams in the league after almost 1/4 of the season, then we have a difference of opinion about expectations.

Expecting to live up to your potential, expecting to perform at a high level, expecting to play consistently... these are the expectations of champions, regardless of the sport.

Nothing wrong with losing, obviously this team will lose a ton of games this season. but if the goal is indeed the stanley cup, then you have to have a certain level of expectation in regards to nightly performance... you don't just "magically" make the playoffs and stroll to the cup... you build and build and build all season long, and you have to believe that your team has what it takes (talent, desire, depth) to get to that level.

anyways, i don't pretend to know what's in carbo's head, and I'm not even calling him out for his comments...
I just personally prefer a coach that is more apt to hold high standards of execution/performance, consistently.

you're absolutely right McP... that's why coaches like Burns, Hitchcock, Keenan, Tortorella (recent example), tend to flame out relatively quickly despite undeniably leading their teams to great success. their style wears thin, as few athletes are able to handle the pressure for more than a few seasons, cup ring or not, playoff success or not.

Teams are faced with the choice of dramatically overhauling the roster, or changing coaches, and the latter is much easier.

Smart guys, like Bowman (or Parcells and Belicheck in the NfL) either put themselves in positions of enough power to move guys who can't deal with/stop responding to the "Noise" any longer, or they simply move on and wait for another up and coming team to take over and start from scratch again... unfortunately (or not) parents don't have that kind of power

We'll see if Carbo master's the "nice guy" routine well enough to keep this group of players playing well enough to go to the promise land. I certainly hope he succeeds. i just tend to be more inclined to appreciate the guys that arrive like a wrecking ball, even if it means burning out (too) fast...
I'm a little confused on what you are saying. It seems like you think Carbo is going with the nice guy routine all the time, when last week he called them out and they responded with more effort (if little execution most likely caused due to gripping the stick too much). Now is probably not the time to make them even more nervous, so Carbo decides to praise their effort level and tell the players that the execution will come if they keep trying hard.

At least that is how I read it. I might be wrong

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Judge Sauer*

Here's Carbo's audio

http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideou...ckey/carbo.mp3

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Maxpac

I think he knows that we know the Habs didn't play very well this weekend, the team is discouraged right now and Carbo has to motivate the guys, right now he just can't start getting pissed off after a victory, it's not the time to do it. Players like Plekanec and Sergei Kostitsyn aren't doing anything usefull on the team, we have to get guys like them going, and fast.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
I'm a little confused on what you are saying. It seems like you think Carbo is going with the nice guy routine all the time, when last week he called them out and they responded with more effort (if little execution most likely caused due to gripping the stick too much). Now is probably not the time to make them even more nervous, so Carbo decides to praise their effort level and tell the players that the execution will come if they keep trying hard.

At least that is how I read it. I might be wrong
one of the quotes from after the leafs game:

That left Carbonneau in a foul mood. There were many things he didn't like about the way his team played: "The lack of effort, the lack of concentration, lack of focus, lack of everything."

and from two days later (after the hour long meeting/video session):

The coaches asked for more effort, because talent alone will not win games.
"We wanted the players to know that we have a good team when we work hard," said Carbonneau

neither of these comments strike me as particularly "calling them out", or being the "bad guy"...
none of the players are stupid, obviously the leafs blowing them out was the result of a lack of many things.

Being a "nice guy" coach doesn't mean never critisizing the way your team plays, or never calling them out, it's more about the way you do it, and the way you respond to lackluster or average play after a win.

picture how a Bill Parcells might have responded to a thrashing like the one the leafs handed us... or a Ken Hitchcock...
I don't think he would have stopped at "we lacked this we lacked that".

but anyways, I realize this isn't carbo's style.

It sort of amazes me how much people emphasize the "not time to make the players nervous" aspect of it.
I somehow don't doubt that just as many people (not you persay) would be cheering on a Pat Burns if he came out of the St-Louis game guns blazing, telling the world that this team needs to expect more from itself (or something of that nature).

Some players respond to tough love, some to soft gloves...
Some coaches try to find a balance, and cater to what they think will best help their players play
others might do that a little, but overall set a high bar and demand/expect everyone to reach it, not worried about letting those that can't fall away. *** sometimes to disastrous effect... witness just about any Keenan coached team prior to him getting canned!

Old
11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Does anyone have his postgame comments.

According to the Gazette, he was PLEASED with the game in St.Louis!

Maybe we should be starting a "I want whatever carbo is smoking thread"?

If we play like this against Carolina...we'll get smoked worse than the 6-1 killing in Boston.

He can't be serious.... can he???
first of all , I'd like to point out that Carbo has the right to like the level of effort, in a boring mtl-stlouis game. Now, when you are coaching , and your team is in a slump, you need to BUILD on what works instead of saying out loud what didn't work.
The effort was there, and it was the main component that was missing lately, so I'd say that if the effort is there every game, we'll get the results very soon.

When Carbo speaks to journalists , after a debrief with the boys, do you actually expect him to start flaming at his players? he needs to give the young guys confidence ... and tell his veterans he liked the effort. I love a coach that can read between the lines instead of a little girly panic blame game that dumb coaches use to try and get out of what is beyond them.

besides , a couple of key things like the powerplay and the offensive transition needs to be worked on ... kovalev is loosing to many pucks , and he needs to simplify the zone entry for his line to work.... but once we are settled ...

give them time, peaking in november doesn't bring you the cup.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:21 PM
dutchy29

[QUOTE=Miller Time;16386503]???

I guess I just find it amusing how last year we had a surprise finish when predicted at 13 in the conference. Now the same analysts are predicting a first or second place finish in the conference and its amusing how many fans buy into this. I didnt believe the analysts last year and I don't believe em again. This day in age teams have to fight tooth and nail for every win. Montreal is not a dominating team such as Detroit or San Jose, we just arent, I think we can compete with them, but my expectations for this team is that they all give 100% and hopefully they will develop a great chemistry thru out the year. The win over St. Louis did display growth and building as anytime a team can score with seconds left to tie a game shows character. Plus I'm sure Carbo was pretty tough on them following a couple other stinkers we were involoved in last week, and he probably wanted something positive to say to the troop.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I agree. The effort was there, they are clearly just discouraged. When you aren't confident, you lose that extra push that gives you the lucky bounces (as strange as that sounds).
Doesn't sound strange, when you give your max effort, not only do you get more chances, you force situations that sometimes can give you puck even if you think you might've lost the battle. It's weird, but speed and anticipation are the keys to everything in hockey. That and skill but skill is just practice

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote