HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ran in to a favroite writer of everyones last night

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2004, 11:28 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
ran in to a favroite writer of everyones last night

While leaving the rink where I play I noticed someone sitting in the stands that looked very familar (although I've only seen his face in the NY Post) so I asked Larry? Larry Brooks?

Said it was him and we talked for a few. indicated that Montoya wants to play this year but that Sather is playing hard ball (makes me think that Sather has reverted back to the small market mindset) Also indicated that Dan Blakcburn will not be ready to play by the time training camp opens.

I advised him that he should check ou this website, and in a half joking manner I adv him to bring his thickest skin because he's not well liked here.

He got a kick out of it, we talked a bit more about the league and both of us feel like there's to many big money teams and that the GM's are not going to want a Luxury Tax where as in Baseball it was only George, in Hockey there's close to 10 teams that would be affected and I doubt that happens.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I have met the enemy...

And he's a nice guy.

Old
07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
While leaving the rink where I play I noticed someone sitting in the stands that looked very familar (although I've only seen his face in the NY Post) so I asked Larry? Larry Brooks?

Said it was him and we talked for a few. indicated that Montoya wants to play this year but that Sather is playing hard ball (makes me think that Sather has reverted back to the small market mindset) Also indicated that Dan Blakcburn will not be ready to play by the time training camp opens.

I advised him that he should check ou this website, and in a half joking manner I adv him to bring his thickest skin because he's not well liked here.

He got a kick out of it, we talked a bit more about the league and both of us feel like there's to many big money teams and that the GM's are not going to want a Luxury Tax where as in Baseball it was only George, in Hockey there's close to 10 teams that would be affected and I doubt that happens.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I have met the enemy...

And he's a nice guy.
sounds interesting, keep an eye open for suspicious looking new members

Old
07-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Cool. I hope the thing about Montoya isn't true. I'd like him to stay one more year at Michigan before playing at Hartford. Hope Blackie recovers soon.

Old
07-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Rodent

Larry is actually sensitive to the harsh reviews.

The above sentence is 100% observational. I'm not casting judgement. I'm saying that he is aware of the ridicule that appears on many public message boards and it does unsettle him.

Apparently his nephew visits Bird's board and somehow got "Uncle Larry" to take a read. Brooks did not hide his displeasure. To his credit, Brooks was "big" about it and he did grant an email interview to Bird. Bird knows the details far better than I. But this is the top-level summary I was provided.

Brooks is aware that he is often ridiculed on message boards. And he doesn't feel it is justified.

I don't believe he specifically has a problem with objective criticism. Rather, it's the element of ridicule and nastiness which is so often associated with these criticisms that he objects to. Again, this is the impression I came away with after chatting with Bird. I cannot claim to be speaking for Brooks.

Old
07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Prucha73

I don't know why Larry gets such disrespect. I like to read his articles. Sure he can say something stupid once in a while or make a mistake, but who doesn't?

Old
07-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Mr. Lack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Cool. I hope the thing about Montoya isn't true. I'd like him to stay one more year at Michigan before playing at Hartford. Hope Blackie recovers soon.

From your mouth to God's ears. Montoya should stay at Michigan. He plays on a good team and he should get to play in a lot of important games this year.

Let Blackburn take over in Hartford when he is healthy. Lundquist and Labarbera can battle for a job in Broadway and the loser can split with Blackburn

Old
07-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Broadway Brett

IMO, Larry Brooks is the best hockey writer in the US. The guy has an amazing writing style, and alot of passion. His job is to make people read his columns, and he sure as hell does that. He says things that sometimes, if you look deep into it, makes alot of sense. Brooks doesn't deserve the ridicule he gets, he deserves praise. Brooks is a great writer, and we should start to appreciate that.

Old
07-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I'll be honest in the sense that I am not a huge fan of Brooks, but I give credit to him for at least putting his heck out there.

Old
07-12-2004, 05:54 PM
sickboy35

well i'm on the "i like larry brooks" bandwagon! always have been. who else writes about hockey in the new york area with the frequency of brooks? he talks hockey more that any other writers in new york. so he might throw one out there once in a while, so what it makes for interesting reading and conversations. he stirs it up a little bit but i like to read any hockey news, in the summer i'm searching for any news and he provides it until august at least. i never understood why people get so mad about hockey rumours anyway, they are all just rumours until it actually happens and its fun reading imo!

Old
07-12-2004, 06:03 PM
pld459666

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
well i'm on the "i like larry brooks" bandwagon! always have been. who else writes about hockey in the new york area with the frequency of brooks? he talks hockey more that any other writers in new york. so he might throw one out there once in a while, so what it makes for interesting reading and conversations. he stirs it up a little bit but i like to read any hockey news, in the summer i'm searching for any news and he provides it until august at least. i never understood why people get so mad about hockey rumours anyway, they are all just rumours until it actually happens and its fun reading imo!

Brooks job is to report about the Rangers and on a secondary level the NHL.

It's not like he can just jot down an article about the Yankees or Knicks and submit that and have it published, maybe he can but I've been reading the post for a while now and I don't ever remember reading a Brooks article about something other than Hockey. He's the New York Rangers beat writer and has to justify the salary by writing stories about the Rangers.

Old
07-12-2004, 06:18 PM
sickboy35

yeah but on sundays he writes about other happenings in hockey, in "Slap Shots." yeah he is the rangers beat writer and he has to have some credibillty when he writes something about the rangers. i just find it enjoyable to read. he is a thousand times better that sherry ross!

Old
07-12-2004, 06:38 PM
xander

Brooks gets ridiculed becouse he has a tendency to sometimes report the bigger (and often more outlandish and less reliable)rumor. He gets flack for it, I've given him some myself, but I think alot of it has to do with the paper he works for. I wouldn't be suprised at all if the editors at the post encouraged him to push the flashier headline. I don't take everything he writes as fact, but I do consistantly read him, which means he's doing his job.

Last edited by xander: 07-12-2004 at 07:07 PM.
Old
07-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
Brooks gets ridiculed becouse he has a tendency to sometimes report the bigger (and often more outlandish and less reliable rumor.) He gets flack for it, I've given him some myself, but I think alot of it has to do with the paper he works for. I wouldn't be suprised at all if the editors at the post encouraged him to push the flashier headline. I don't take everything he writes as fact, but I do consistantly read him, which means he's doing his job.
Xander is correct
i as well always read his articles, actually check for them everyday, but part of that is that he is the only reporter who always writes about hockey even during the summer, whereas JD from the ny dailynews disappears and only writes when something happens, at least brooks writes articles all the time

but back to reality for a second, ever since the messier trade brooks has gotten off track with his reporting speculating all sorts of trades and garbage which isnt neccessarily true which although can be a fun read, is equatable with the garbage stan fischler writes, just whatever comes to his mind

brooks is wrong more than he is right and instead of just writing about rumours or his ideas, he feels the need to take sides, which is interesting because he sometimes bashes sather, than loves him and his stance on UFA's to me is still undetermined

does brooks want this team to really rebuild and just sign some stopgaps or does he wants big name ufa's? what about his articles at the end of the year that said sather wanted dunham gone? well dunham is still here and doesnt appear to be goin anywhere

i read brooks but dont believe anything he says, however as edge said, brooks deserves credit for sticking his neck out, although he is considered the largest laughing stock among the nhl writers

Old
07-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Brooks is aware that he is often ridiculed on message boards. And he doesn't feel it is justified.
Like sickboy and Janerixon, it's at very least refreshing to see some hockey coverage in NY's mainstream media and to use it as a springboard for discussion.

The accuracy of the work is what's in question. That's what leads to ridicule. You "put your neck out there" everyday too Rodent, but your facts aren't cut with conspiracy theories, drama and opinions thinly veiled as facts. Might make for good 'stories' in the Post, but not beneficial for a real hockey fan looking for real information most of the time. We're not the target Brooks audience. The guy who follows NY Sports and needs a "blurb" to remain interested in the Rangers over the summer is.

Old
07-12-2004, 08:09 PM
pld459666

I agree and I do read everything he writes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
yeah but on sundays he writes about other happenings in hockey, in "Slap Shots." yeah he is the rangers beat writer and he has to have some credibillty when he writes something about the rangers. i just find it enjoyable to read. he is a thousand times better that sherry ross!
And I'm glad that there's someone that consistently writes about the Rangers wether I agree with the content all the time or not.

Closed Thread