HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NEW IMPROVED Rangers' Prospect Poll #19

View Poll Results: Who is the Rangers' #19 Prospect?
Zdenek Bahensky 4 6.15%
Alexandre Giroux 3 4.62%
Nathan Guenin 1 1.54%
Marcus Jonasen 15 23.08%
Greg Moore 2 3.08%
Darin Olver 18 27.69%
Corey Potter 0 0%
Ken Roche 8 12.31%
Jake Taylor 7 10.77%
Chad Wiseman 7 10.77%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2004, 08:33 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
That's what I was thinking. The tone sounds awfully similar to a certain poster of different names.
Agreed. But said old poster much have had quite the fit when Tukonen was not taken as he swore was going to happen. Let's recall the "write it down as fact" comments.

Old
07-12-2004, 09:57 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
That's what I was thinking. The tone sounds awfully similar to a certain poster of different names.
Pasha?

Old
07-12-2004, 10:00 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I'd love to know how you have come up with any of this. Moore may not appear like a huge prospect, but he is, AT THE VERY LEAST, the equivalent of Wiseman. Neither of them currently appear to be more than 4th liners. Moore actually looks to have the potential to be a 3rd liner.
Graham is a joke? Have you either seen him play or read enough about him? Unlike most of the players in his league, he actually DID use his body quite well this past year. Him still being there in the 2nd round is an absolute steal. He has the size. He just needs to learn consistency (and whom can't that be said about?). Taylor needs to improve his skating if he is to be a player at the AHL level, let alone the NHL level. Jonasen is not such a big deal and does not have a better chance than Graham of making the NHL level. Guenin and Potter are longshots to make any splash at a pro level.
How can you say that Pock has no chance to be better that Baranka. Pock looked pretty good in his handfull of games. How has Baranka looked in his NHL debut? Oh, wait. He has not had one yet. So how can you state that Pock has no chance to be better than Baraka, when one has yet to step a toe onto NHL ice?

How can you say Jonasen is nothing big while Grahame is some great prospect? How many times have you seen any of them play?

Like I keep saying, newer names get more respect around here.

Helminen. Olver. Grahame. Montoya.

And it will be an absolute joke if Olver is voted in ahead of Jonasen, who has proven a hell of alot more as a prospect than Olver.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
12) Ivan Baranka
13) Nigel Dawes
14) Bruce Graham
15) David Liffiton
16) Dwight Helminen

Putting Moore on this list is a joke. He will never become a good NHL player. Wiseman is twice the player and continues to get ZERO respect on this board.

Putting Graham on this list is a joke as well. He's a long shot at best to make the NHL. He has no clue how to use his size yet. Putting him over players like Potter, Guenin,Taylor and Jonasen is madness. Pock also has little if any chance to be better then Beranka
First off it's BAranka, not Beranka so if your going to claim how great a player you never saw player is going to be at least know how his name is spelled for Christ's sake!

Secondly, I love how you say Pock has no shot at being better than Baranka does when in fact it was you who just last week under the other screen name you got chased out of here with you predicted in your post about point totals for last year that Pock would have 11 goals and 25 assists totaling 36 points as a rookie blueliner and follow it with the comment "I beleive in this kid".

So if that's what you expect from Pock in his rookie season no less I'm just on the edge of my seat to see what you have Baranka predicted to do in his rookie season.

So either you simply talk out of your a$$ or you simply have no clue as to what these kids will actually offer once they make the big club.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
It's a tight race between Jonasen and Olver. I'm leaving this one open until later tonight.

In the secondary voting, Ryan is leading Crabb and Walsh 3 to 2.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Just wanted to throw this out there, even though at this point its a crapshoot going with anyone on this list - Greg Moore is underrated here. There's a reason this guy was chosen for the U20-WJC team. Also no coincidence that team won the Gold & Moore's U of Maine team were in the NCAA finals. IMO, he should've been at #13.

Add Joey Crabb, another one who's underrated

Old
07-12-2004, 11:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Just wanted to throw this out there, even though at this point its a crapshoot going with anyone on this list - Greg Moore is underrated here. There's a reason this guy was chosen for the U20-WJC team. Also no coincidence that team won the Gold & Moore's U of Maine team were in the NCAA finals. IMO, he should've been at #13.

Add Joey Crabb, another one who's underrated
At this point, I think its clear that people have different criteria for voting. I think Moore is somewhat underrated, also. Look at the current poll - compare Olver and Jonasen. Jonasen has come over, established himself as a team leader in juniors and has the upside os a 2nd liner, plus has the physical makeup to reach the NHL. Olver, while highly skilled, is undersized and his upside is 2nd line center. Both have varying degrees of skill, but, Jonasen is further along the path AND is probably more physically capable of handling the tough play of the NHL at this point.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
At this point, I think its clear that people have different criteria for voting. I think Moore is somewhat underrated, also. Look at the current poll - compare Olver and Jonasen. Jonasen has come over, established himself as a team leader in juniors and has the upside os a 2nd liner, plus has the physical makeup to reach the NHL. Olver, while highly skilled, is undersized and his upside is 2nd line center. Both have varying degrees of skill, but, Jonasen is further along the path AND is probably more physically capable of handling the tough play of the NHL at this point.
Olver is also the newer and shinier prospect. He has a "diamond in the rough" quality to him right now, so people might think that his upside might be higher than it is. Personally, I'm trying to avoid voting for our recent draftees (save for Montoya and Korpikoski) because most of us really do not know a thing about them at this point. In a year or so, the shine will be off them and we can make a better judgement about their potential.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:41 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Olver is also the newer and shinier prospect. He has a "diamond in the rough" quality to him right now, so people might think that his upside might be higher than it is. Personally, I'm trying to avoid voting for our recent draftees (save for Montoya and Korpikoski) because most of us really do not know a thing about them at this point. In a year or so, the shine will be off them and we can make a better judgement about their potential.
Like I've said before, I think to get fair picture, there should be a balance in the approach. Players like Prucha, Immonen and Lundquist may have all the talent in the world, but until they prove willing to set foot on North American soil, it's hard to put them higher than European players like Tyutin, Baranka, Jonasen and now Bahensky who either have or are going to do that very thing. OTOH, Dom Moore may have reached the NHL, but from all reports I've seen, he is third line material at best. Someone like Graham may never reach the NHL; OTOH his potential is listed as high as first line center, according to some scouting reports.

Old
07-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I wonder why Dubinsky is being rated so low. He was a second round pick and is one of the most skilled players in the WHL. Andrew Ladd had 75 points in the WHL and is 6'2 and was a high pick. Brandon Dubinsky score more points than Andrew Ladd with 78. Now im not comparing Ladd to Dubinsky but if Dubinsky scored more points then Ladd. I would assume that Dubinsky is just as skilled as Ladd. The only downfall is he is 5'11 180. I seem to like everything I read about Dubinsky. Now if he was a bit bigger, u think he would be a first round pick?
Yes I wondered this as well. From what little I did read on them I think Ladd is extremely strong and physically mature and at least 3 inches taller. And Ladd has really improved his speed and skating. While Dubinsky is smaller, not a great skater and takes some bad penalties. But Dubinsky basically carried his team, that had very little top talent on his team, while Ladd had Getzlaf. Also Ladd likely has a better overall game: defense, corners, checking, etc.

Last edited by Prucha73: 07-12-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old
07-12-2004, 04:57 PM
kc13

I find it quite amazing that the Ranger scouting staff rated both Byers and Olver higher than Graham, but posters here, 99% of which have never seen any of them play, see it a different way.

Old
07-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Kodiak

Okay, it seems like the votes have stopped coming in. Moving along to 20...

Old
07-12-2004, 08:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
i'll close it.

Closed Thread