HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Melrose on CBC : TB would be 1st in Division if they could score

Old
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
I've seen a couple Tampa games this year, and that team is a trainwreck:

- Too many spare parts added this year.
- The stars are playing OK, but can't get their best game going so far.
- The team was running around in every game I saw. Melrose either had no system, or couldn't successfully implement it.
- Mike Smith looked good from what I saw of him, though

All in all, Melrose seemed to be the symptom of a larger organizational problem. If they don't right the ship soon, things could get ugly.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
sounds like the 'ning are a bunch of whiney puds. good for barry for speaking out. better for me as a caps fan; hope they implode.
A few of those KEY "whiney puds" were Cup champs under a real coach, Tortorella. AND, there are several others on the team with championship pedigree. What has Melrose ever done. Seriously.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:29 PM
SpezDispenser

This problem begins and ends with the treatment and subsequent trade of Danny Boyle. How the heck are you going to win when you have a D core like that? We feel it here in Ottawa too, but man, if you have Boyle and he wants to be in TB, thank your lucky stars and build you D around him.

Management sucks, Melrose was obviously the wrong choice though.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
beardedgraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The problem is, no other team (especially an expansion team) would have hired Melrose in the first place.
maybe, maybe not.. but i meant that more in terms of expectations. its unfair for the ownership to expect a winning season from a team that was horrible last year, then signs a handful of mid-low range free agents. this team resembles nothing of the team that won the cup a few seasons ago, but someone forgot to tell that to the owners

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:35 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Yah, the Lightning do have a low GAA, but why? Because Mike Smith has been standing on his head every stinking game this season. This team very well could have 1 or 2 wins and that would be fair. Melrose limited the offense by pissing off Vinny and limited his time by pissing off the owners (by not playing Stamkos). His coaching *might've* worked in theory but he completely failed to consider that his players are human beings with their own habits and thoughts, not robots. Why can't everyone remember this is NOT a video game? Half of being a coach or manager in any pro sports is managing personalities!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:46 PM
bleedgreen

that was standard melrose, straight forward and honest. he wasnt rude or bitter, he just told it like is. i dont know why anyone would have a problem with this interview. he doesnt say he had the "best"defensive team in the league, he said he had "one of the best", and said the problem was the guys supposed to score werent, and how can you argue with that? the whole thing about the players going to lawton and saying they didnt like him is pure crap. burke had a great quote in an interview recently, he said in only have two rules..i forget what the first one was but the second was "if you come to me to ***** about the coach ill punch you in the face". lawton threw barry under the bus cuz the leaders on the lightning went to him and complained about some tough love.

thats weak.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 11-17-2008 at 01:07 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:49 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
that was standard melrose, straight forward and honest. he wasnt rude or bitter, he just told it like is. i dont know why anyone would have a problem with this interview. he doesnt say he had the "best"defensive team in the league, he said he had "one of the best", and said the problem was the guys supposed to score werent, and how can you argue with that? the whole thing about the players going to lawton and saying they didnt like him is pure crap. burke had a great quote in an interview recently, he said in only have two rules..i forget what the first one was but the second was "if you come to me to ***** about the coach ill punch you in the face". lawton threw barry under the bus cuz the leaders on the lightning went to him and complained about some tough love.

thats weak.
That doesn't sound like what happened at all, actually.

(Forget Tortorella already? Some of these guys have dealt with tough love and did so for quite a while. Difference appears to be Torts had a black and white system to go with the tough love aspect, while Melrose had no structured system at all with lots of meandering grey area. It was time for Torts to go and Melrose was a mistake from the start, although secretly I was hoping the owners knew something the rest of the hockey world didn't about Melrose, but it seems they didn't get past asking Blake and Robitaille who they recommended and went with it.)

ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

At least he had the balls to go in there and face the music.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Tampa is turning into a real joke.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote