HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Swedish newspaper NHL-blog (Rangers-blog).

Old
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Jyrgen

vCash: 500
Swedish newspaper NHL-blog (Rangers-blog).

A swedish newspaper runs a NHL-blog written by their USA correspondent Per Bjurman. He is based in NY so naturally he almost only attends the Rangers games in MSG. It´s quite funny and usually he writes 4 parts per game (before, each break and after) and it always include comments from the locker room after the game.

The comments are from the swedish players (even from the opponents) mainly but sometimes he gets some quotes from other players and the staff as well. Especially Valiquette likes to say something, prefeably in swedish! Hank has tought him some basic words and he likes to use them

Honestly I really like it because he reports mostly about things outside of game details. From the Garden, the press stands, other teams homer fans and the responds that they are given from the Rangers dito (F.., Moth... F..., as... etc), people that work in the Garden, other journalists and the staff surrounding the team.

I will translate some stuff from yesterdays great come back against Boston.

From yesterdays game http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/18756

Bjurman says that his teams never comes back late in games. Lundy says it sure is strange, when sitting in the locker room in his cap all sweaty. I cant remember us coming back late in a game one single time during my first three seasons here i NYR. But it is damn nice when it happens, indeed.

Bjurman - The roaring in MSG when something like this comes down - Rangers coming back to win the SO - is nothing less than surreal. That unified roar, the only thing comparable was the roar ar Cape Canaveral when Christer Fuglesang took off for his space trip.

Bjurman - Rosie O'Donnell (the guys at the press stands made a joke about misprinting number 3 in the Rangers. They said it should have been Rosie O'Donnell and not Rozsival) had already left the locker room when the press was allowed in. Not really high odds on that one.

Lundy was faced against Wheeler, Kessel and Bergeron but it was only one of the Boston shooters that made him nervous and that was Per-Johan Axelsson!

Lundy - Yes actually that´s true. I was standing there thinking about all the SMS that he was going to send me if he scored. Well, now you know what an elite goalie thinks about when the game is to be decided.

Näslund is obviously surrounded by the press afterwards. But he is not the extatic type of guy, he is calm and correct always and that is the impression he has already established on his new coast.

Per-Johan Axelsson gets a big smile in his face when he hears about Lundys comment earlier. Noo, I have not sent him that many SMS, a few maybe Well, now it is my turn to get some from him instead. Lundy, fire away!

Lundy had no idea whether or not the last penalty shot went in. No, but I saw it on the jumbotron after the reviewing that it hit the post.

Bjurman asks Fast Freddy Shoestring if he will go out celebrating the win in the NY night. Freddie says - No, i did not earn that tonight and looks quite low when he says it.

That self critisism has no ground, of course Shoestring earned a drink or two.

Sal, the press section guard steps up to Bjurman when finished and gives him a high-five and says what he always says - He's a hell of a swede (about Lundy of course)!

Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Ola

The blog is awsome, he is a great writer. I guess its hard to translate and keep the "touch" he got though...

My favorite from last night, loosly translated "In the press room Brooks sits alone in his corner. The others, thoose who hates Brooks -- partly because he is the best, partly because he isn't social -- sits in the other corner and drools over their dinnerplates".

I thought about translating his blogs, but he writes so much trash about everyone so it might not be the best idea...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:18 PM
hdw

Hush now, you're revealing state secrets!

The good part is that he doesn't do any form of even remotely objective game reporting (that's saved for the articles that pays his salary). It's much more about all the around the game. Random comments from the press section, reactions from the crowd, of the cuff remarks from the locker rooms and such.

Which makes me wonder. Is there any blogs like that from the NYC beat reporters?

The ones I've found are all good, but they are so focused on the raw facts, there's no much about the atmosphere in the Garden (or where ever he happens to be).

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
dkich96

Thanks for the translation, funny stuff I must say.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:24 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I thought about translating his blogs, but he writes so much trash about everyone so it might not be the best idea...
Well, some of the code names for his press sections fellows aren't exactly flattering

But at least he doesn't name them ...

Old
11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Sjostrom continues to amaze me. He had a solid game, but still feels he needs to do better. I would definitely buy him a drink for his performance thus far into the season.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:04 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Jyrgen, that was great! I hope you do this often

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Chimp

Yeah, that journalist blog is pretty awesome, especially the informal locker room comments and internal jokes that you would never hear about. Or when he comments the scrums between visitors and the hardcore fans who sit right behind him, or when he talks trash about his journalist colleagues who takes up too much space.

Last night, he bashed his "hockey journalist friends" who didn't show up, especially "The oak" who went to NJ to watch Caps - NJ instead, because he has a huge man crush on Bäckström. He later wrote "The oak" probably made cartwheels towards the trainstation home, because Bäckström had a 5pt night.

He's a huge Rangers homer (with some taint of Red Wings blood in his socks), so it's far from objective things he writes. Anytime he mentions Brodeur, he usually writes "Maaaaartyyyy", which according to him is such a subtle, simple but most humiliating taunt ever.

I guess the Swedes on this board could try to make a joint effort to translate the stuff he writes, because it's usually great stuff. The problem is, he writes so damn much.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:29 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Yeah, that journalist blog is pretty awesome, especially the informal locker room comments that you would never hear about. Or when he comments the scrums between visitors and the hardcore fans who sit right behind him, or when he talks trash about his journalist colleagues who takes up too much space.

Last night, he bashed his "hockey journalist friends" who didn't show up, especially "The oak" who went to NJ to watch Caps - NJ instead, because he has a huge man crush on Bäckström. He later wrote "The oak" probably made cartwheels towards the trainstation home, because Bäckström had a 5pt night.

He's a huge Rangers homer, so it's far from objective things he writes. Anytime he mentions Brodeur, he writes "Maaaaartyyyy", which according to him is such a subtle, simple but most humiliating taunt ever.
We need more of this. Could one of our Swedish friends keep up to date on his articles? I'd love to see some no holds barred Rangers homerism. Maybe an old article, a personal favorite? Pleeaase?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Chimp

Well, some old personal favourites, from various games...
Quote:
Originally Posted by First game vs. Devils this autumn
A shame FivePoints (a blog reader) went to bed.

Devils continues being Rangers' little ***** - and how fun wouldn't it had been to nag about it? Especially since the idol Maaaaarty fumbled like an old man on that first goal...
Quote:
I never had the time to enter the Devils cabyss - and didn't spot Albelin now either dammit - but Varpu (A Finnish hockey journalist) reports the mood in there is "miserable".
Quote:
No, "Ejvery", the one who gets me coffee during intermission is certainly not a loser (with one "o", if I can be a poindexter). The loser factor is for us who have to stay in our seats and write, in my case to you.
Quote:
Seems like poor Brodeur forgot his contacts at home tonight. He fumbled like an old, worried retired man who looks for his wallet on Dubinsky's goal - and now he has to endure the most taunting "Maaaaaaaarty"taunts ever heard of.
Various texts when he was in Detroit this autumn to watch a Red Wings game.
Quote:
The first scoop of the season comes here:
Andreas Lilja has stopped using snuff! Yes, it's true.
- It was a doctor who had the opinion I had skin differentials under my lip. I even had to take a cell sample, they believed I had cancer. Luckily, that was not the case, but I stopped immediately, he says.
As a result, Andreas gained 20 pounds during the summer that he had to sweat away.
- Yeah, snuff burns fat, he claims.
That, I haven't noticed...
Anyhow, this is good news. I don't have to bring extra boxes every time I travel up here...
Quote:
Lidas (Lidström) thinks it's weird I've been to country bars in Nashville.
- I thought you were more into that stuff you could hear in the parks during the 90's, kind of Highway Stars.
Say what!?! Highway Stars!?!?!
Please, mr World's best defensman, I'm not completely mentally retarded either.
Quote:
I hardly have the time to stuff myself down on top of a worned out seat on top of Detroit's players' entry before there is an unmistaken, Swedish/English sound down from the ice.
– Systembolaget! (The only place in Sweden where you can legally buy alcohol)
It's the goalie trainer Jim Bedard speaking. He only knows one word in Swedish and he loves using it. But, sure, there are more boring words - and things - imaginable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last game, Stanley Cup finals, 2008
Nobility here now. All General Managers found it fitting to have a meeting at Marriott during the day and now they will watch hockey. That's good. A guy like Sather needs to see how potential champions really play.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-16-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 03:56 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Originally Posted by First game vs. Devils this autumn
A shame FivePoints (a blog reader) went to bed.

Devils continues being Rangers' little ***** - and how fun wouldn't it had been to nag about it? Especially since the idol Maaaaarty fumbled like an old man on that first goal...
LMAO. I wish our writers could throw those sentiments in the blogs.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Jyrgen

Quote:
The blog is awsome, he is a great writer. I guess its hard to translate and keep the "touch" he got though...

My favorite from last night, loosly translated "In the press room Brooks sits alone in his corner. The others, thoose who hates Brooks -- partly because he is the best, partly because he isn't social -- sits in the other corner and drools over their dinnerplates".

I know, but sometimes I just feel that the other board members (english speaking) are really missing out of some funny comments from Lundy, Shoe, Näslund, Valli etc that they would never hear of in any other type of media. Since it between the swedes and just kind of off the record conversation, it is a very rare thing I guess. So, if sticking to the player comments it will be fine I suppose and leaving out the ironising parts regarding the other journalists etc

Old
11-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
This is hilarious stuff - is this all he gets paid to do, report these random comments, or does he have a column or something similar that he writes, and just blogs on the side?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Macke*

so is this going to be posted in english from now on?

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen View Post
I know, but sometimes I just feel that the other board members (english speaking) are really missing out of some funny comments from Lundy, Shoe, Näslund, Valli etc that they would never hear of in any other type of media. Since it between the swedes and just kind of off the record conversation, it is a very rare thing I guess. So, if sticking to the player comments it will be fine I suppose and leaving out the ironising parts regarding the other journalists etc
Yeah, we can translate it anyway.

I know for a fact that atleast one of the major writes both used to read and write at HF regulary though -- but thats Bjurmans problem... But he have left now anyway.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Jyrgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
This is hilarious stuff - is this all he gets paid to do, report these random comments, or does he have a column or something similar that he writes, and just blogs on the side?
Khelvan, he's the papers US correspondent so he's working with whatever of interest at the moment. For example, he was quite busy with giving reports from the US papers, TV etc before the presidential election. The hockey-blog is on the side (well, kind of) since he is a hockey fan and a Rangers fan.

Ola and Macke, we swedes can try to make a joint effort of translating the blog into english, at least the most interesting parts of it. As mentioned earlier by the Chimp the only problem is that he writes so damn much about every game

Old
11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
As Jyrgen stated, he's working for one of our two national tabloids.
Assigned to cover whatever can be assumed to be interesting to the Swedish readers. From politics to sports, from entertainment to natural disasters and from coast to coast.

The reason why his post-game post always is late is that he has to provide the paper with the "proper" article about the game first.

One nice side-effect of his "proper" job is that when he's shipped away from NYC to cover something else, he often tries to sneak into any other NHL game he can find.

Quote:
Yeah, we can translate it anyway.

I know for a fact that atleast one of the major writes both used to read and write at HF regulary though -- but thats Bjurmans problem... But he have left now anyway.
Quote:
Ola and Macke, we swedes can try to make a joint effort of translating the blog into english, at least the most interesting parts of it. As mentioned earlier by the Chimp the only problem is that he writes so damn much about every game
The best would be to focus on the pre-game and post-game posts, since they often contain the funniest or most interesting for outsiders. Quite much of the other contains so much yapping between "Mr Editor" and his readers that most of it doesn't make sense unless you've read (and understood) the comment trail on the previous post(s)

Old
11-17-2008, 10:03 AM
mikjo344

I love Bjurman's stuff too. I think he must feel very liberated not having to worry about being politicallly correct all the time in his blog!

And of course I love the fact that he's a Ranger homer and not ashamed to be one either.

mikjo344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Jyrgen

Ottawa@Rangers - pre game

The Senate race!

For 12 hours you are depressed over a how a mid-november monday can be, ugly weather, meaningless, bad writing, poor ideas, bad food, jacket not fitting etc. But, you get to the garden, takes the elevator to press room, steps out in the empty arena and smells the magic that lives in an ice hockey arena. Suddenly you got that groove back to your walking steps. Besides Mojave desert sunsets, gorgonzola salad at Elaine's, women and Aaron Nevilles song hockey is gods best inventions.

Tonight settles the faith of Rosie O'Donnell (Rozsival). If the fans keeps booing every time he gets the puck it's official, Rangers have a new Malik.

Renney is not happy about it, he held a distinct speak of defense for Rosie saturday. "I'm disappointed, wonderful person, team mate and player and I'd like to see the booers controling a bad pass on this bad ice".

Well, one can think and say that. I'm a softie myself in soul and heart and when it's over I always feel sorry for the players that are picked on and booed against by the crowd. But if you're like that you should play somewhere else cause it's rough in this town.

Fans in NY pays good money to see their favs and they are right in demanding something back. Thats the way in basball, football, certainly in basketball and even so in hockey. Stupid? Well, some might say that but can do nothing about it. Rosie has to prove them wrong, live with it or ask for a trade.

Ottawa, a team in crisis after two straight losses against the stinking Islanders. Coach Craigsburgs solution? Uniting the Pizza-line, Alfie, Heatley and Spezza.Has worked in the past but only patological optimists can wish for an instant success, or?

A game in the game, Redden with eleven seasons in Ottawa are facing his former team for the first time. The outcome? Well, as the headline in the Post says - "Wade and see".

The Ottawa press becomes almost imbarassed when questioned about Alfie's season so far. Hm, mumbling with low voices, he hasn't scored for ten games. Remarkable really, but usually he likes to play against Lundy so who knows.

Näslund didn't practice yesterday due to a scratch wound says Renney. A better example of how silly the coaches neurotic fear for revealing the truth about injuries can't be found.

As the great Bruce Garrioch at Ottawa Sun says, Ottawa is at least leading the NHL in one aspects and that's in the number of internal meetings. Obviously they have spent endless hours trying to talk about their problems. Play hockey instead as a classic swedish goalie would have said.

- Hi Sal, I say to the press section security guard.
- Howdy he responds.
and then it comes...
- Henrik..he's a hell of a swede

Dan Girardi is refreshingly honest in an interview with NHL.coms Sam Rosen when asked about his favourite internet sites.
- Definitely my bank account, says Dan.
I wish I could say the same.

A bit cocky after the Näslund spotting saturday (Bjurman said that Näslund looked hot) I say that Fast Freddy Shoestring looks hot today during the warm up.

She wasn't fun to talk about regarding the hatred for swedes during the finals, but Varpu (finnish journalist) says she's never better then when speaking to Jarkko Ruutu. So tonight she is all that, the finn.

Alfie's warming up without helmet, the blog is appreciating such things.

Rangers are normally a good springboard for teams in need of turning the trend around, so I'm not sure at all when saying that Rangers will win 4-2. Varpu thinks that Ottawa will win 3-1, because they need to.
- They are pissed she says.

What do you think?

Old
11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
hdw

Quote:
What do you think?
Excellent, just remember to always include a link to the original text, even if the text is in Swedish.

Old
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Jyrgen

Point taken. about the what do you think line it was actually Bjurmans ending in the blog

Old
11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Jyrgen

The Senate Race part 2 (first break)

Translation of http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/18756

0-0 after first and you don't exactly get your eyes stressed out by watching. As varpu says - "Euh, how boring". But I'm optimistic this game will explode.

So far, Rosie are only getting a few booings but Renney isn't expose him to power plays either.

Fast Freddy has not been that hot, he gets a delay of play after 2 minutes. But i have faith in him he is going to do something great sooner or later this game.

Well get to see power plays from both sides that are som impotent that I'm thinking about trying to make a Viagra joke about these teams power play. But I failed at it.

It is fascinating to see The Kings self confidence at the moment.

Perry Pearn, thats his name. He's the most laughed at sports coach in NY. He is the one responsible for the Rangers power play.

Of course, Ruutu keeps throwing his mouth around but we wouldn't want it another way, or would we?

Old
11-17-2008, 10:46 PM
KRM

He faced Wheeler, Kessel, and Bergeron.
But it was only one of Boston's shooters who managed to make Henke nervous.
Pebben. (PJ Axelsson)
– Yea, indeed. I was thinking of all text messages he would send if he scored...

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Jyrgen

The senate race - part 3

Translation of http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/18756

The game didn't explode, infact it was quite the opposite. The game implodes into it's own boring "regular season down the stretch fashion". But towards the end Alfie, at last for him, scores and I refuse to give up the hope for this turning into a tango tonight.

There is a real thick headed and drunk "Homer" sitting right above the press section who's commenting on everything except being half a minute to late.
- Uuuh, play the puck he mumbles slowly when the refs already callec an icing several seconds ago.

Next comment from Homer:
- Uuuh, it's a power play shoot the puck.
Actually it's Ottawa having the power play.

As mentioned, Alfie likes to play against Lundy and his determination showed from a mile away, that enough is enough, and literally forced the puck behind Lundy.

Homer comments:
- Great Shanny!
That's when Näslund makes a sweet move inside the blueline.

- Uuuh, turn off the lights.
Don't really understand what he means but it sure sounds entertaining.

I can't stop loving the fact that they're playing Ramones "Blitzkrieg bop" when they've got a chance to.

What the f..., Renney sends in Rosie on the power play. That's not only playing with fire, it's like holding a flaming match stick above gasoline.

Old
11-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Jyrgen

The senate race - post game

The Queen (Valiquette) allows himself to make fun of the blog when I'm sneaking into Henriks corner in the locker room to get some quotes from him, before the rest of the press understands that he is available.
- Ah well, the swedes are here. Then you know we won tonight, he's yabbin around.

Well last time Rangers lost it wasn't Lundqvist in goal so really there was no reason for the swedes to go to the goalie-corner.

The drunken Homer is silent during the last parts of the game, it's due to the "pint-factor". That sort of guy is always having too much to be able to speak towars the end of a game.

I admit is comes down to luck when my prediction about Fast Freddy comes through but nevertheless I inform about he looking good during warm up.
- Nice going he says, keep that up and maybe I will keep doing well he laughs.

Redden about the game.
- Both teams didn't get a lot going.

Senator coach Craig Hartsburg:
- We played a heck of a game.
Hmm, that makes me think about a classic comment from George Bush.

Näslund's being quiet as usual in the locker room, especially when the press is about, but when he spots tonights hero Sjöström being surrounded by the NY journalists he cries out loud:
- Freddy Shoooo...

There was some rumble about Ruutu at the end and my finnish sources says that Ruutu's stating that some Ranger tried to take a swing against him with the stick after him shooting the late and lost puck at Lundy. If the swing can be found on tape the Senators says they will report it.

It has to be the first time Big bad Jarkko is on the "right side" of a report.

Alfie doesn't look too depressed when arriving to the spot where the away team always meet up before taking the stairs to the bus.
- We have had a tough period but performed better tonight, it was a step in the right direction. But it is typical that it comes against a hot Henke ha says showing a bit of frustration.

Nevertheless he did score on the hot one and when reminded about it he shines up.
- It's always a nice thing.

Henke is less satisfied with the fact that Alfie ended his dry streak tonight.
- Ah what the hell, I got a bit stuck at someones stick he says.