HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Atlanta: What a disaster

Old
11-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Psyfer
Thrashers forever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
i can't believe atlanta traded that package for Zhitnik. I was flabbergasted... Zhitnik for Coburn straight up is moronic.. Zhitnik wasn't about to solve any real problems. Weren't there better d-men they could have targeted? What were they thinking
It turned out to be a really bad deal but at the time they were in need of a puck moving defense men that could help their power play. Its a shame he started sucking the year after.

Psyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:52 PM
chaosof99*

Well, since this thread came about from Atlanta being destroyed 0-7 against Philadelphia earlier this season, I think it's a good thing to discuss the game today. Philadelphia still won 4-3 but it was rather close. I believe this is mostly due to Atlanta fielding Hedberg instead of Lehtonen

Anyways, games against Philadelphia aren't really a good measuring stick for Atlanta. Philly now has a 12-0 streak against them, Niittymäki is 11-0 lifetime against Atlanta and since Atlanta exists the Flyers' record against them is 27-3-3-1. There is weird coincidence and then there is total domination.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:58 PM
fokov

If the thrashers actually played in the first 30 minutes of the game, it might have been a better game. Then again, Philly sat back and still won. There are no excuses of being tired when they went 4 days off, game, day off, game, and now 3 days off. Sounds like the teams needs to get a better pregame prep.

fokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Rayne*

The Habs aren't living up to unrealistic expectations either. Contract them!

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Psyfer
Thrashers forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Ottawa lost twice to Islanders I thinks its almost their time as well

Psyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:06 AM
MVP of West Hollywd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Well, since this thread came about from Atlanta being destroyed 0-7 against Philadelphia earlier this season, I think it's a good thing to discuss the game today. Philadelphia still won 4-3 but it was rather close. I believe this is mostly due to Atlanta fielding Hedberg instead of Lehtonen

Anyways, games against Philadelphia aren't really a good measuring stick for Atlanta. Philly now has a 12-0 streak against them, Niittymäki is 11-0 lifetime against Atlanta and since Atlanta exists the Flyers' record against them is 27-3-3-1. There is weird coincidence and then there is total domination.
Holy cow I think Nashville has a dominant streak over the Blues too, something like winning 22 of 24 at home against them, if I recall.

MVP of West Hollywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokov View Post
If the thrashers actually played in the first 30 minutes of the game, it might have been a better game. Then again, Philly sat back and still won. There are no excuses of being tired when they went 4 days off, game, day off, game, and now 3 days off. Sounds like the teams needs to get a better pregame prep.

Don't make it sound like the game wasn't close. I'm a Flyers fan and I know for a fact that this Flyers team is painfully inconsistent - and as a player, I know the inconsistency has a lot to do with other teams just as much as yours.

The funny thing is, the first 30 mins of the game, the Flyers were still only up 3-1 after totally dominating play. The Thrashers blew the doors of the Flyers in the last half of the game - for whatever reason. We're a little lucky we won this one.

The Thrashers had tied it up and had all the momentem - if it wasn't for a really skilled, individual effort by Lupul, I don't think the Flyers win this. The Thrashers were all over them, as evidenced by the 21-4 shot advantage in the third.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:36 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Yes because it is soo unrealistic for a team to win 1 game in the playoffs after 10 years. Sweet jesus what sort of impossible tasks are to be asked of this poor unfortunate team?

Any other organization with those sort of amazing draft picks in that short of a time frame would probably have a dynasty by now. The only sort of change will have to start with the fanbase obviously, when they decide they are tired of it they will vote with their cash.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yes because it is soo unrealistic for a team to win 1 game in the playoffs after 10 years. Sweet jesus what sort of impossible tasks are to be asked of this poor unfortunate team?
Wasn't talking about Atlanta having unrealistic expectations, just Montreal. It made light of the fact that someone believes a team should fold because of their current struggles.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 06:02 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
i can't believe atlanta traded that package for Zhitnik. I was flabbergasted... Zhitnik for Coburn straight up is moronic.. Zhitnik wasn't about to solve any real problems. Weren't there better d-men they could have targeted? What were they thinking
Well, to be fair to Atlanta, Coburn looked like crap at the time. Like David Hale crap...

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

we just cant seem to solve the flyers for whatever reason, tho last night was a much better game than it usually is against them. the thrashers biggest problem is playing well for a full game. they seem to take a period off almost every game

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:22 AM
txpd

My question is, whats it like in Blueland when the team is wearing red? What is up with that?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
My question is, whats it like in Blueland when the team is wearing red? What is up with that?
i believe it turns into purpleland

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
en_fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Just wondering Thrashers fans, how have John Anderson and Mike Haviland(I think) helped the team in terms of structure, system, different attitude, etc. As I understand it, both were head coaches in the AHL last year and I'm curious to hear what Thrashers fans have noticed under their brief stewardship. Thanks in advance.
John Anderson and the big assistant coach ATL got was Randy Cunneyworth. Focus has been put on puck possession (a relief after Hartley's dump-and-chase system) and offense. JA pushes the defensemen to get involved (and I think some traditionally stay-at-home dmen like Nic Havelid have been taking a while to get use to that system). Still giving up too many shots, special teams aren't anything to write home about. They still have problems playing a full 60 minutes. Thrashers are getting killed in 2nd periods - no idea why they keep taking that period off. JA has been really emphasizing team unity and doing activities with the team during off days, which never really happened in the past. I think the system is coming together - you can tell the young guys (Oystrick, Little) who played under JA in Chicago are comfortable and look solid. Other guys are picking up on it. There's some good chemistry on all the lines. The new guys we signed are looking really good - Reasoner is solid on the 3rd line with Armstrong and on the PK, Hainsey is no doubt our best dman and some fans want him picked as captain over Kovalchuk, Williams struggled at first but has been really picking it up since he was moved to center on the 1st line. It's coming together - we still have to see if the Thrashers have the right amount of talent and balance to get anywhere with it. A problem in the past was streakiness. The Thrashers just lost 6 games and won 5 games - we'll have to see if they can bring any sort of consistent winning this season.

Quote:
Well, at the time, Coburn had attitude problems and Hartley wasn't fond of playing young guys - he always loved the vets. DW was willing to do anything to get us into the playoffs that season, and Zhitnik did help with that. But he sucked the season after that. Coburn trade stings, but when he was in the Atlanta system, he wasn't playing at the level he's playing at right now. We all knew the potential was there, but he wasn't really showing it. Wolves fans hated him - they said he slacked off and had a bad attitude about being in the minors and he only ever played well if DW happened to be there checking up on the prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
They're calling it a "code red alert" or something. IDK all our marketing is terrible.

en_fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:03 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Well, to be fair to Atlanta, Coburn looked like crap at the time. Like David Hale crap...
Well to be fair, he wasn't getting a lot of playing time with the Thrashers. Flyers gain and Atlanta's loss I say.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:09 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yeah, 8th in the league in attendance yet they had to make a salary dump trade so they could pay their bills. Cheap tickets perhaps?
I bought seats 5 rows up for $20 a pop

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Well to be fair, he wasn't getting a lot of playing time with the Thrashers. Flyers gain and Atlanta's loss I say.
Well to also be fair, I'm a fan of both teams. The Flyers and Thrashers are the two teams I root for in the east.

Coburn for Zhitnik is/was a bad deal everyday of the week.

However, Coburn has also been pretty bad this season - very reminiscient of his days in Atlanta - his positioning has been awful, his puck-handling has been questionable, and his thought processes are sketchy at best - save a game or two here and there (and I've watched every Flyers game this season).

He seems lost whenever he's not paired with Timonen - so let's not pretend like he's an elite defenseman yet. He's got a long way to go to be able to anchor a second pair, much less a top pair.

Matt Carle whos' only been on the Flyers for 4 games seems much better - I'm also well aware it could be short term - but still it's still confusing as to what happened to him in Tampa/SJ.

He's been extremely solid - and has actually helped Coburn out when they formed the second pair, instead of the other way around like I expected.

He's made the occasional lapses, but that's also because he tries to make plays. I'm ok with the occasional turnover or what not because he's trying to make something happen. Seems like he's got a much better head than Coburn. Hope he keeps it up.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
The Thrashers are a cult franchise of the NHL; watching them makes you want to drink poisoned Kool-Aid.

Don Waddell was hired by CNN/Time-Warner based on the fact that he was the Assistant GM of the Red Wings during the 1997-98 season. That really makes him qualified to be the GM of an NHL team. During that time period, they could have hired some guy walking past the Joe as the Assistant GM and still been successful. Waddell was barely a successful GM in the IHL, as his teams never even won the Turner Cup.

Waddell (as well as Hartley) should have been gone after the collapse at the end of the 2005-2006 season. The only thing that saved them was the fact that we had so many issues with goaltending. Then again, it was Waddell who in his infinite wisdom, signed Steve Shields during the height of the goalie-go-round. They definitely should have both been canned after the team phoned it in against the Rangers in the first round of the playoffs the next season.

The goodwill that was generated as the result of winning the division two season back, is gone. The season ticket base plummeted and honestly, unless the ownership gets their act together, the casual fan will spend their money elsewhere. Who in their right mind raises ticket prices after subjecting their fans to such a shambles of a season? Ownership is as inept as management.

The lawsuit with Steve Belkin is almost as long of a running joke as the Thrashers (At least ASG has gotten the last laugh in regards to the deal that sparked this whole affair.). This entire drama has been going on for THREE years; the uncertainty there probably isn't instilling confidence with current and potential STH (of both teams) and corporate accounts. I wish Arthur Blank would to step in and offer to buy ASG (and Steve Belkin) out in order to save both the Hawks and Thrashers.
This reminds me of when Time-Warner hired a Pizza guy to run WCW.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:16 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yeah, 8th in the league in attendance yet they had to make a salary dump trade so they could pay their bills. Cheap tickets perhaps?
What trade exactly are you speaking of that was a salary dump to pay bills? I would love to know, considering there wasnt one.

Cheap tickets? I believe they are in the middle tier of league ticket prices, and in fact were one of the few teams that didnt lower prices this past season.

And for the guy who said $20 a pop for seats 5 rows up... glad to know what you can buy tickets for on the street from a "scalper" is what the organization is charging for them.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 07:55 PM
fokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Well to also be fair, I'm a fan of both teams. The Flyers and Thrashers are the two teams I root for in the east.

Coburn for Zhitnik is/was a bad deal everyday of the week.

However, Coburn has also been pretty bad this season - very reminiscient of his days in Atlanta - his positioning has been awful, his puck-handling has been questionable, and his thought processes are sketchy at best - save a game or two here and there (and I've watched every Flyers game this season).

He seems lost whenever he's not paired with Timonen - so let's not pretend like he's an elite defenseman yet. He's got a long way to go to be able to anchor a second pair, much less a top pair.

Matt Carle whos' only been on the Flyers for 4 games seems much better - I'm also well aware it could be short term - but still it's still confusing as to what happened to him in Tampa/SJ.

He's been extremely solid - and has actually helped Coburn out when they formed the second pair, instead of the other way around like I expected.

He's made the occasional lapses, but that's also because he tries to make plays. I'm ok with the occasional turnover or what not because he's trying to make something happen. Seems like he's got a much better head than Coburn. Hope he keeps it up.
I haven't watched many tampa games, but I think Carle was just blamed by the owners and/or Barry. If I remember right he was suppose to be the replacement for Boyle in the trade. The way I see it Philly doesn't need to draft any defensemen they can just trade with the South East to get good first rounders Besides, the SE is much different than the pacific in terms of playing styles. With the offense not scoring and knowing 'you' are suppose to be an offensive defensemen, I can see him taking high risk, high reward plays. Either way, I think Tampa made two bad moves in that case (Boyle, Carle). As an ATL fan, the funny thing is I wished our owners took more interest in the team such as holding DW accountable and then I see Tampa where the owners are way too much hands on and need to back off. Oh well.

fokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Mister Rogers

Quote:
Zhitnik actually had a pretty good season and Coburn was never going to develop here. After alexei came over here in 06-08 he had 14 points in 18 games and was a +4.

Mister Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote