Location: Bay Area, California (South Bay) "The Yay"
Five favorite sharks?
Just curious who everyone has liked over the past 13yrs, with all the players that have come and gone thru this organization name five that have been your favorites, for moi it has been....
Pat Falloon- He has always been my favorite, he was a god to the fans that first season and was fun to watch and was the first pick, i idolized him back in those days. Falloon still holds most of the sharks rookie records and he was on a much less talented team back then yet alot of the fans still bash the guy like he was horrible, patty was rushed up way to fast, he was fed to the sharks is another way to put it.
Link Gaetz- The guy was awesome and would kill everyone he fought, he was one of the main reasons why the fans made the drive up there, you always looked forward to seeing link. He would have been a good hockey player and its a shame what he did to himself with the booze.
Dean Evason- Alot of people wonder why i have an evason jersey, he didnt put up big numbers and wasnt a flashy skater but the guy was one of the hardest working sharks to put on a uniform, to be on a team that awful and still hustle every shift is the reason why i liked the guy so much.
Arturs Irbe "like wall"- The little guy was so much fun to watch and had crazy skills, after that 39 save shutout performance against the kings i and i know many other fans were sold on irbe.
Marco Sturm- Love the guys speed and hustle, he plays his heart out every night and he still has his best seasons ahead of him, gotta love it when he scores to.
1. Doug Wilson - My favorite player since day one. He stood out because he was the captain and he didn't wear a helmet. I started playing hockey when the sharks were in their second season and his son was on my team so I got to know him pretty well. I don't know too many people who know their favorite player.
2. Jeff Odgers - San Jose's original Mike Ricci. Ugly as hell, and one of the hardest workers every shift.
3. Mike Rathje - He had a rough start to his career, but he's turned things around 180 degrees. Despite getting blamed for anything and everything by most San Jose fans, he still goes out there and does a great job.
4. Mark Smith - Please please please please let him get playing time next year.
5. Craig Janney... just kidding. He'd go on my top five most hated Sharks.
5. Jaime Baker - Great guy and a very important part of Sharks History. Scored two goals against LA to help get the win that clinched a playoff spot for the first time. And gets the series winning goal against Detroit in the playoffs that soon followed.
Let me be honest, I'm a sucker for top prospects, especially high draft picks.
So Currently, My two favroite players are, Patrick Marleau and Milan Michalek.
All time though .....
1. Arturs Irbe.... No question here at all....0....Sharks were soo bad in 92-93 but this guy played hard and well, Irbe is still my hero, I wear #32 for my teams always because that was his number. I loved how he wore that disntinct and ugly helmet..I forgot to mention old, I loved his all white beat up looking pads (Well I guess they just weren't beat up "looking" they were beat up!) I liked how he was small, flexible. He was an underdog to suceed yet he caried the Sharks threw most of my favroite times to be a fan, He was my hero, and all time favroite Shark, and I have TONS of Irbe stories I tell every other Sharks fan in conversations lol.
2. Owen Nolan : For about 6 years he was the face of the franchise, a powerforward who put in the numbers, He was very entertaining and all around just one of the best Sharks to ever play. Still one of my favroites no question. I also have alot of Nolan stories.... Greatest Shark forward of all time likely.
After that it's a big time toss up in the air.
I would have to say that Pat Falloon would be a close 3...Now today I wouldn't say he was a great Shark or yada yada, but he was one of my favroites of all time, I rember him being my go to guy in all my videogames , from the first year of NHLPA hockey from ea sports to NHL 95...He was my fav Shark to play as, he was always the guy that when I looked for the scores in the news paper that I was hoping to read his name as a guy who scored, a shame that injuries have pretty much done him and in, and now today it's easy to say that he was likely rushed.
Jeff Friesen. Still would loooove to have him back. One of those guys who I couldn't stand seeing him leave, now I didn't cry when he left like I did Irbe, but man it was tough to see him leave, we've all watched him grow and devolope, and everyonce in awhile he would make an amazing looking play, he was one of the best players on the ice in his rookie season, and all around was a big favroite of mine. One of those guys that played hard and looked good even in a 6-1 loss to the Red Wings
Vinny Damphouse and Mike Ricci are difficult to see let go walking, both have been huge in the Sharks success in the past years.
Sergei Makarov was a big favroite of mine, but Larionov was a bigger fav of mine, I loved watching that guy play, believe it or not Ulf Dahlen was a fav of mine to.
Jamie Baker. I have to just echo Frank The Tanks reasonings here....His goals vs the Kings and his play in th eplayoffs, especially in game 7 vs the Wings he responsable for the most memorable goal in Sharks history.
I must say i'm starting to really love CHEEEEEECCCCCCCHHHHH. He was a prospect that I really followed closely for along time and he's really paying off huge and he is a heart and soul kind of player. Other young guys I love...Michalek and all first round picks and top prospects
Sean Donovan was actually a fav of mine back in 94-95 untill the trade. I almost got his jersey,,, jeeez i'm glad I didn't.
Tony Granato was one of my favroite Sharks, definitly, Great story all around.
Doug Wilson, wore the C but didn't wear the Helmet. He was the voice of the Sharks early on and when he signed on with the team, I was giddy. Still the best defensman to wear a Sharks jersey, mabey best player, and now he's are GM ...how cool is that? #24's HUUUGE Shot from the point and his passion and smarts for the game really helped the Sharks threw some dark days...to bad he couldn't have stuck out for a year and enjoyed the 93-94 Sharks success.
OZO was always a favroite of mine, Kelly Kissio and Johan Garpenlov are some of my favs.
Link Gaetz. I still remember some of his fights, Especially the one where he fought the baddest boy of the NHL ..Mr. Probert and handled him self and even won the fight in front of a sold out Cow Palace,One of the brighest momemts in 92-93 and I still have that fight in my childhood journal with a picture What a great player.
Dody Wood, I saw him play in the minors alot and really pulled for him.
Mike Rathje is the first prospect the Sharks had that my dad told me about from the Hockey news and showed me pictures, so he's a special player always, AND A DAMN GOOD DEFENSMAN!
Marcus Ragnarson, What a pick he was, and a great player....Really devoloped from his rookie season year after year. He worked very very hard and when he was traded it really hurt to see him go.
Gary Suter: I have his autograph and have met him, a great guy, a class act that really helped out a lot of the Sharks younger talents, Stuart and Jillson, even though Jillson isn't the same no more.
Steve Shields, Mike Vernon, some of my all time fav goaltenders right there. Shields mainly because of his performance vs the Blues...and Vernon, well who could forget rhis peromance to us in the playoffs and he did quite well in 98.
My Dads favroite Sharks: 1. Mike Ricci 2. Stephane Matteau or ( Step on my toe)
Brian Hayword ....his goalie mask in SJ was AWESOME!
I dont know, so many great Sharks, and to be honest I love/loved them all.
Currently I really like Marleau, Michalek, Sturm, Cheech, Nabby, Rat, Stuart, McLaren, Hannan, Goc, I mean I could go on for along time...I love are team.
1. Jonathan Cheechoo: I love this guys energy, plus he has some great goal celebrations. Sounds like a pretty nice guy too.
2. Owen Nolan: My first season as a Sharks fan was 2000, or Nolans 84 point year. Ever since then he has been my favorite Sharks and one of my top5 favorite players of all time, excluding Cheechoo. I still think of him as the face of the Sharks, so to speak. Also the fact that he was born in Ireland is kinda cool!