HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn/Luca Sbisa

Old
11-18-2008, 06:29 AM
miltons rules

vCash: 500
Luke Schenn/Luca Sbisa

I just cought the Bos. Tor. game lastnight after watching it I can't figue out all the hype about this schenn kid. I mean sbisa was drafted lower and appears to be playing alot better, if schenn is a franchise player I think the flyers have a real gem in sbisa.

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:12 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
You are right.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
They play two different style games, not a fair comparison.

Having said that, I'm quite happy to have Sbisa as we already have a Schenn-like player in Bourdon already in the system.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:17 AM
chaosof99*

If the fight between Sbisa and Schenn's brother Brayden is any indication, Luca beats the crap out of him:

Let's see how it goes on November 29th, when we actually play the Leafs.

Last edited by chaosof99*: 11-18-2008 at 07:24 AM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
If the fight between Sbisa and Schenn's brother Brayden is any indication, Luca beats the crap out of him:

Hahaha, I like how the commentator pronounces his name like Sahbisa.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:49 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

No need to compare the two, or make claim that Sbisa is better. They're two different types of d-men, and Schenn is a very good player in his own right.

Besides, after Luca's last couple of games...I wouldn't exactly say that now is the time to be hyping him.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:54 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i agree with everyone saying that schenn and sbisa aren't comparable; both show a lot of promise at different things. i am kind of tired of TO fans claiming schenn to be the heir apparent to sugar spice and all things nice. i'm glad they put luca with kimmo; veteran leadership is always a good thing. look what hatcher did for coburn (who admittedly needs to turn things up).

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
FlyersCup08

I too caught the game last night and was not impressed with Schenn either. That being said, the two are not comparable and I think Schenn has far more potential (I don't really see Norris Trophies in Sbisa's future).

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post

that'sa spicey meatball!! I mean he whooped him

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
I too caught the game last night and was not impressed with Schenn either. That being said, the two are not comparable and I think Schenn has far more potential (I don't really see Norris Trophies in Sbisa's future).
I don't think Schenn is/will be Norris material...just my opinion.

You guys want to see a solid 18 year old defenseman, miles ahead of Sbisa and Schenn...watch the Kings Drew Doughty.

Doughty <-----------------------------------------> Sbisa/Schenn

Old
11-18-2008, 10:20 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post

You guys want to see a solid 18 year old defenseman, miles ahead of Sbisa and Schenn...watch the Kings Drew Doughty.

i completely agree. doughty looks incredible.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:41 AM
27roenick97

i haven't seen any of doughty, but some of schenn. the adage goes for schenn that if you don't notice him, its a good thing.

as mentioned, we have a couple of prospects that we're grooming as defensive d-men (like parent and bourdon), but we need that all-around d-man to be part of our top for many, many years. watching sbisa, i can't help but think of kimmo in his little time with the team. great passing, vision, composure, a little bit of feistiness (moreso with sbisa, whom i think can have a legitimate mean streak to him). if we pulled a kimmo timonen from this draft, epic win for us...

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
phlocky

Here's one for you guys, I know we are all happy with Sbisa and are excited about the 09 draft being very deep and us getting a very good prospect even in the mid-late rounds however, would you trade Sbisa and our 09 1st for the #1 pick overall in 09 and the ability to take either Hedman or Tavares??? Our current best prospects are Sbisa, Parent, Giroux, JVR and (insert player to be taken in 09 draft, most likely) and when it's all said and done in about 5 or so years, I think only JVR will be better than Sbisa and whomever we take in the 09 draft. That being said, I still think I'd trade our 2nd and 3rd best prospects for a guy like Hedman.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Here's one for you guys, I know we are all happy with Sbisa and are excited about the 09 draft being very deep and us getting a very good prospect even in the mid-late rounds however, would you trade Sbisa and our 09 1st for the #1 pick overall in 09 and the ability to take either Hedman or Tavares??? Our current best prospects are Sbisa, Parent, Giroux, JVR and (insert player to be taken in 09 draft, most likely) and when it's all said and done in about 5 or so years, I think only JVR will be better than Sbisa and whomever we take in the 09 draft. That being said, I still think I'd trade our 2nd and 3rd best prospects for a guy like Hedman.
Not saying I'm not interested in Tavares or Hedman, but we desperately need a top goalie prospect first and foremost.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:20 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Not saying I'm not interested in Tavares or Hedman, but we desperately need a top goalie prospect first and foremost.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Top goalie prospects fizzle out all the time and the pool of forwards and defensemen dwarf the goalie prospect pool.

I'd almost always prefer to draft a skater over a goalie in the early rounds.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

In this draft Olivier Roy seems to be one of the few good goalies. Some project him to go in the first found

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:40 PM
kicksave27

NO NO NO, no top draft picks on goalies. The flyers system is the black hole of goaltending prospects. You have just as much chance getting a starter in the late rounds as you do early. If you look at a lot of the top goalies in the league probably half aren't playing with their original teams. Many weren't top round picks. Let other teams with better goaltending coaches then lemelin/little groom a kid, then trade for him. Preferably someone under allaire in Anaheim. If you have to draft a goalie, i'd go for scandinavian goalies, they have great goalie coaches like jukka ropanen, who groomed kipper and nitty. And those you can probably get in the mid rounds. Drafting goalies year after year in the 90s with first round picks was responsible for the lack of top end prospects. When the best the system had to offer was patrick juhlin and paul healey. Until they finally started drafting positional players again with gagne, zubrus, willams.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
mercury

Quote:
Yes, you have to trade Sbisa and a 1st for Hedman. He has the potential to be a perennial Norris winner/finalist.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
phlocky

I agree, we would most likely be trading a 2nd pairing dman (Sbisa) and a 2nd line forward (09 1st rnd pick) for a #1 dman. That's like Lupul and Coburn for Phaneuf. I like our 2 guys but to get Dion, that would be tremendous.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I would do it, but I don't think the Flyers would be able to fit Hedman/Tavares and JVR under the cap next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that. Top goalie prospects fizzle out all the time and the pool of forwards and defensemen dwarf the goalie prospect pool.

I agree with this. It's very early in their young careers, but we might consider ourselves fortunate that Nashville took Pickard. His stats are very mediocre at the moment, but I don't know if he has an actual defense in front of him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

I didn't mean take a goalie that was ranked let's say....25th, over Hedman or Tavares but rather use the pick to aquire a goalie prospect.

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
phlocky

Quote:
I didn't mean take a goalie that was ranked let's say....25th, over Hedman or Tavares but rather use the pick to aquire a goalie prospect.

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear.
I understand what you are saying but at #25 that goalie prospect is FAR FAR from a sure thing. Goalies are much harder to judge how they will progress to the NHL level than anyo ther position. Unless you are getting a sure thing in goal (like a Fleury or such) then using a lower 1st rnd pick is too much of a roll of the dice to warrent such. You are much better draftin skaters with your 1st and 2nd rnd picks and then taking all goalies after that. Drafting 4 goalies a year SHOULD produce at least 1 significant prospect.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:14 PM
mm6492

Quote:
yeaaa

sbisa is good but those 2 could be great

but that would not be enough for that pick

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:16 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy64 View Post
I just cought the Bos. Tor. game lastnight after watching it I can't figue out all the hype about this schenn kid. I mean sbisa was drafted lower and appears to be playing alot better, if schenn is a franchise player I think the flyers have a real gem in sbisa.
This is your conclusion after watching Schenn in one game. Great.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:37 PM
ORYX

Quote:

I said the exact same thing in the prospects threads, posters wanted to know who the best, i was speechless when sbisa was barely mentioned and some leafs fans thought scheen hands down.

Doughty clearly is miles ahead right now, not to mention he is on a much worse team then either of the young prospects currently playing (bogosian injured)

IMO right now it goes:

Doughty

Sbisa
Bogosian
Schenn

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote