HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get Benot Brunet off the air

Old
11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I wouldn't give on him like I hated that we gave up on rookies like we did way too early.....

If it's good for the players, has to be good for commentators.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Maverik

vCash: 500
Anyone noticed Saturday vs Philly when Brunet showed us a replay of why Andrei was NOT scoring. He had the replay and paused it and made a circle right in front of the net saying "If I wanted to score, that's where I would go". The he let the replay continue and guess what? Andrei went straight through the circle, with a guy fighting him all the way there.

My friend and I could not stop laughing at him. Houde actually went : "uh, oh.. let's get back to the game".

Like some other poster said on here somewhere, he has too much of a 4th line mentality. Everyone must crash the net and screw the fancy plays... He's starting to sound like Pedneault, he focuses on 1 player that is not doing so well and tries to find flaws in every moves he makes on the ice while in fact, he's not doing THAT bad

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:42 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Anyone noticed Saturday vs Philly when Brunet showed us a replay of why Andrei was NOT scoring. He had the replay and paused it and made a circle right in front of the net saying "If I wanted to score, that's where I would go". The he let the replay continue and guess what? Andrei went straight through the circle, with a guy fighting him all the way there.

My friend and I could not stop laughing at him. Houde actually went : "uh, oh.. let's get back to the game".

Like some other poster said on here somewhere, he has too much of a 4th line mentality. Everyone must crash the net and screw the fancy plays... He's starting to sound like Pedneault, he focuses on 1 player that is not doing so well and tries to find flaws in every moves he makes on the ice while in fact, he's not doing THAT bad
Pretty much. I was laughing when he was saying how coaches always told him that if HE wanted to score, HE had to go in front of the net. He never realized that it was due to his shooting ability and what not. I wish someone just sit with the guy and make him realize that there is more than one way to score a goal.

That being said, when things are going bad, dumping the puck and making the D work isn't a bad strategy and he does point that out often enough. I just wish he had a bit more diversity and the like.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Overall though, I think I've gotten media overload . I like Houde, Brunet doesn't make the game any better or worse for me, I would miss play by play if it wasn't offered but all the talking heads, it's just too much now. I tend to use the pvr watching games, and I start watching a bit late, or watch something else for 15 minutes, just to avoid it all.
I hear you. I stopped my addiction to Team 990, l'Antichambre, 110%, La Zone, CKAC, and especially anything on RDS. (Gave up on CBC years ago)

They add nothing to my appreciation of the game. The micro (bad) analysis of every dump in. The worst part is that 99% of the time, they take every play and gesture out of the context of the flow of the game.

Sports media has decended into the uninformed story making of "Loft Story/Occupation Double" , but for guys.

I can only stomach "NHL on the Fly".

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I hear you. I stopped my addiction to Team 990, l'Antichambre, 110%, La Zone, CKAC, and especially anything on RDS. (Gave up on CBC years ago)

They add nothing to my appreciation of the game. The micro (bad) analysis of every dump in. The worst part is that 99% of the time, they take every play and gesture out of the context of the flow of the game.

Sports media has decended into the uninformed story making of "Loft Story/Occupation Double" , but for guys.

I can only stomach "NHL on the Fly".
with all the available news and up to the minute updates that we get now, the info they seem to base converstaion on is usually dated. Morning show x is often ranting about why a player is in a certain situation without knowing that drive show y has already reported a reason for something. Reading a board tends to update a lot of info and we're often better informed than some of these guys. It just seems that there's less to be gained.

Once the season gets going, you see the games, you recognize trends, I don't see what any of these shows has to offer, other than somehwere to go during commercials when you really should be going to bed.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
with all the available news and up to the minute updates that we get now, the info they seem to base converstaion on is usually dated. Morning show x is often ranting about why a player is in a certain situation without knowing that drive show y has already reported a reason for something. Reading a board tends to update a lot of info and we're often better informed than some of these guys. It just seems that there's less to be gained.

Even worse, is that stories are relayed based on reports from other news outlets, verified or not. Fact becomes perception, becomes opinion, becomes legend, becomes concensus (becomes Eklund ).

Old
11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:

Once the season gets going, you see the games, you recognize trends, I don't see what any of these shows has to offer, other than somehwere to go during commercials when you really should be going to bed.
Can't throw the baby out with the bathwater, though. For instance, I listen to CKAC on the morning drive to work. Pat Burns' segment is usually pretty interesting, I like to get his take on things.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Can't throw the baby out with the bathwater, though. For instance, I listen to CKAC on the morning drive to work. Pat Burns' segment is usually pretty interesting, I like to get his take on things.
I was going to say that. Marinaro on the Team sounds like a nice enough guy, but I have a hard time with his show at times. He has solid guests at times though. I like to hear what Derek Wills, the 'dogs broadcaster has to say, and a few others.

I've always been a Melnick fan, but I don't always have it on. I make a point to hear Brunt and McGuire's segments whenever I can.

Radio's easier, your attn. isn't always required, and they aren't working as hard to be provocative.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Ya... agree.

Sometimes the hosts interaction is not the greatest.

As for Melnick, the Brunt and McGuire parts are the only meat of his show nowadays. The rest is repeated sports "updates" and fluff. 4 hour show, 1/2 hour content.

The obsession he has with any female (Andie Bennett, previous Brithish girl) on the show is getting tired. Yes, she has nicer privates than the dudes on the show. Get over it.

I guess I am just in a pissy mood.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:47 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalrecall View Post
i was tuned on rds so i didn't listen CBC. What happen?
It's like he's still speaking French although English words are coming out. I know what he's trying to say because it seems my mind translates his words into French and voila, it makes sense. I can just imagine what the Albertan is thinking when watching Yvon.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
It's like he's still speaking French although English words are coming out. I know what he's trying to say because it seems my mind translates his words into French and voila, it makes sense. I can just imagine what the Albertan is thinking when watching Yvon.
I wish I could speak French as well as he speaks English?

Nah, never mind.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Wilson and Brunet are both bland and boring.

RDS should hire the next generation of broadcast hockey guys. Guys with a sane state of mind that are objective and bring new angles to make the viewers understand what it's all about. I'm telling you if I had the job I would assemble this squad of no non-sens effective professionals like it has never been seen on Quebec sport television. I would snatch Pierre Lebrun from CBC for his contacts. I would hire Sportsnet's Louis Jean for his overall skills but he would be there doing interviews with players between periods. The guy possesses a good mastery of the english language along with french.

I wish...
Is Pierre Lebrun bilingual? I know he's from North Bay Ontario and his English is impeccable but I've never heard him speak French. He is one of the best at his job.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:51 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
I wish I could speak French as well as he speaks English?

Nah, never mind.
Lets not get political here!

Old
11-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Lets not get political here!
My post wasn't political. Unless yours was.

Old
11-18-2008, 11:39 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
My post wasn't political. Unless yours was.
Not at all!

Old
11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Agreed, get that guy off air. At least let Pierre Houde comment the game alone.
oh you wouldn't do that , poor pierre.

get a crazy junky , any kind of chantelois or any pseudo analyst who exagerates and always swims in controvertial waters and it'll be great... they are over analysing, just like TSN , sportnet .... everybody has a take on how the canadians play ... ect... when it actually gets to joel bouchard, I'm already fed up. And its not that I don't like Demers, I have so much respect for the guy, but having him, brunet, houle, and the two others makes it so boring.

u know, just a jean perron ... a guy that's a big edgy in there, instead of the love tandem of demers and bouchard .... its like an american soap, I'm listening just because I don't want to miss the last episode when they are obviously going to kiss.

bouchard with houle, and then bring a funny , colored guy to be with demers ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

As bad as Brunet might be, and IMO, he is at times, its a long way to beat Pedneault's performance on CBC... At first I loled... but then it became extremely irritating, evenmoreso then when he did his antics on RDS.

God... could he at least call l'institut linguistique and get a crash course on proper English prenounciations. His English is even worse than his talent for analysis and he can't analyse dick to start with.... Horrible horrible... CBC's getting lower and lower... I mean Bob Cole AND Pedneault, I almost wanted to become deft when I heard that. That's like the Family Guy gag where they put Ray Romano and Kermit the frog and other guests with the same type of voices on the same panel. Ugh.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote