HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Objective Comments on Price

Old
11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Objective Comments on Price

Two articles posted this morning on www.habsinsideout.com about Price not yet playing up to the hype. Both seem pretty dead-on thus far. Neither suggests that Price won't emerge as the franchise goaltender that many think he will become, but both point out that he's not yet playing that way.

Earlier in the season there was an article interviewing Melanson. Rollie said that what he is really trying to work on with Price is his focus, a la Brodeur. It will take time but this is one aspect of his game that you really feel can be improved-- Price doesn't always looked "locked in" the way I would like to see. Part of it is the team's lack of confidence, but could you imagine how much more confident the team will get if they truly come to feel that they have a wall back there in goal. It's never a one man show, but Carey can be doing more to ensure that one bad goal doesn't occur. Of course, he's only 21 but I would like to see him quietly lead this team a little bit more through this current adversity. One word: consistency.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Thats so true...When hes ''locked in'' he's almost unbeatable. See Minny game. When he's not focused, see the game right after against the Isles. Just shows how incosistent he is at his young age. Hopefully they can prepare him to be ready for every game.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
AH

He's had 2 bad games this month out of 5 starts accentuated by the fact that the whole team was horrible in those two games. He had an outstanding October.

In those two bad games, his body language clearly showed that his focus was not there.

Not a big deal, really. It will come with time.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So in the end the problem isn't Price.....it's the hype. And I totally agree.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Genghis Keon

I think there's a bit of an inherent dichotomy when assessing Price's play (or any young player). There's the "all things being equal" view and there's the "looking what he's doing at x years old" view. All things being equal, Price is already a very good goalie. He's by no means elite of the elite, but he's still very good. However, for a 21 year old goalie to be already very good in the NHL is ridiculous and puts Price in very select company in NHL history.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:44 AM
zzoo

Now, Price is still very very far from being Jesus.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
I think there's a bit of an inherent dichotomy when assessing Price's play (or any young player). There's the "all things being equal" view and there's the "looking what he's doing at x years old" view. All things being equal, Price is already a very good goalie. He's by no means elite of the elite, but he's still very good. However, for a 21 year old goalie to be already very good in the NHL is ridiculous and puts Price in very select company in NHL history.
I was going to post the same thing, but you put it way better than I would have.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

It does look a lot like the team's tenative play and running around coincided with Price's ups-and-downs..... Not playing "blame the goalie" here, but if the skaters were brimming with confidence in their goaltender they'd probably have their heads on better when playing with the puck, which is not the case just yet.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:54 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
It does look a lot like the team's tenative play and running around coincided with Price's ups-and-downs..... Not playing "blame the goalie" here, but if the skaters were brimming with confidence in their goaltender they'd probably have their heads on better when playing with the puck, which is not the case just yet.
You are aware that analogy works both ways however..

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
goldglove

8-3-1 2.61 0,915

ranked 10th in sv% (10+ games)
ranked 10th in gaa (10+ games)
ranked 7th in wins

2nd year in the NHL

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
You are aware that analogy works both ways however..
No, it doesn't work both ways, unless the goalie is completely without hope that his team can win. I doubt that anyone on the team is in that state of mind yet.

Look at Price in the recent games. He's not squaring to the play as usual. He's looked unready on shots. Clearly his stuggles are mental. When the team sees a goalie looking like that on the ice, it puts them on their guard.

Most any #1 goalie can raise a team's play if they themselves are focused and ready, no matter the struggles of the team. Jose Theodore did it for 2 seasons.

Price is turning in good preformance, bad one, good one, bad one. Again, like Theo did after his MVP season..... and the team is playing the same way they did during that time. Different players, same result. I said it before - it looks like the team that was eliminated in last year's playoffs, no better, no worse.

To be sure - he'll be fine and all will be well in the end - but until he plays consistently well night in and out, the team won't find the confidence we've seen it have in previous times.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
ThePriceisRight

Price is the best Habs goalie of all time...

ThePriceisRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
goldglove

Quote:
No, it doesn't work both ways, unless the goalie is completely without hope that his team can win. I doubt that anyone on the team is in that state of mind yet.

Look at Price in the recent games. He's not squaring to the play as usual. He's looked unready on shots. Clearly his stuggles are mental. When the team sees a goalie looking like that on the ice, it puts them on their guard.

Most any #1 goalie can raise a team's play if they themselves are focused and ready, no matter the struggles of the team. Jose Theodore did it for 2 seasons.

Price is turning in good preformance, bad one, good one, bad one. Again, like Theo did after his MVP season..... and the team is playing the same way they did during that time. Different players, same result. I said it before - it looks like the team that was eliminated in last year's playoffs, no better, no worse.
The sharks are 10-2 with a bad season nabokov(by his standard) price stats > in both gaa and sv%

the difference is when nabokov give up 4 or 6 goals, his team score 4+ or 6+.

Last edited by goldglove: 11-18-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old
11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
HotPie

Quote:

To be sure - he'll be fine and all will be well in the end - but until he plays consistently well night in and out, the team won't find the confidence we've seen it have in previous times.
Yes, it does work both ways. Maybe his inconsistent play coincided with the fact that the team in front of him has been garbage? You can't expect a goalie to save the team night in and night out.

Maybe Price would be more confident if the team in front of him was more consistent? Maybe he's trying too hard to overcompensate for the lack of effort in front?

It works both ways.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:11 PM
LesCanadiens

As much as I am a huge believer in Price....he definitely has NOT been consistent.

Focus is key. As is intensity. It seems at times he's not wound-up tight enough...just a bit too loosey-goosey. Like the one goal the other day where he was just fixated on the puck passed cross-ice right in front of him....it was like he was trying to will it to stop on its own rather than simply laying down the stick to stop it. It resulted in an open net goal.

He's just a kid for sure, and I'm confident he'll mature out of these habits....but we really need him to step it up ASAP.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
GoldenForum

Before the season started, I thought to myself: IF the Habs have a chance at the Cup, Price will have to post at least a 2.35 GAA and a.930 save percentage.

Arbitrary I know, but based on reflection of what a top goalie produces-- and we'll need a top goalie to win. He may get there by the Spring (I very much think he can as he plays & matures), but his current totals are modestly/significantly (depending on your viewpoint) above those marks.

The difference between his current stats and the benchmarks above is basically a bad goal (which can be attributed to lack of 60 minute focus) every other game.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:13 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Yes, it does work both ways. Maybe his inconsistent play coincided with the fact that the team in front of him has been garbage? You can't expect a goalie to save the team night in and night out.

Maybe Price would be more confident if the team in front of him was more consistent? Maybe he's trying too hard to overcompensate for the lack of effort in front?

It works both ways.
Yeah, understand what you're saying...but he's our Crosby, Ovechkin etc. We need him to be the one to inspire confidence in his team...not the other way around. He's young, it'll come.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Yeah, understand what you're saying...but he's our Crosby, Ovechkin etc. We need him to be the one to inspire confidence in his team...not the other way around. He's young, it'll come.
No he's not. It's people like you who are making him out to be like that, hence why it's not Price the problem, it's the hype surrounding him.

People were expecting a Vezina winning season out of him FFS. With the team we have, we shouldn't need Price to be the best goalie in the league, or even elite, we just need him to be steady and good, which he has been for the most part. Even the best have mental lapses. How many times has Brodeur looked mediocre only to pick it up as the season goes?

If we're looking at Price to be the bastion of confidence and the one to inspire the team when we have guys like Kovalev, Koivu, Markov, etc., this team has greater problems than I thought.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
No he's not. It's people like you who are making him out to be like that, hence why it's not Price the problem, it's the hype surrounding him.

People were expecting a Vezina winning season out of him FFS. With the team we have, we shouldn't need Price to be the best goalie in the league, or even elite, we just need him to be steady and good.
Yes he is.

5th overall pick. MVP for WJC. MVP for Calder cup (in his first year). I'm not over-hyping him in the least.

Edit: And I'm not expecting Vezina trophy or the best goalie in the league....but he should be top 5 at least.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
8-3-1 2.61 0,915

ranked 10th in sv% (10+ games)
ranked 10th in gaa (10+ games)
ranked 7th in wins

2nd year in the NHL
any predictions on how he would fare on a team like Florida, Atlanta, or NYI?

just to play devils advocate

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Yes he is.

5th overall pick. MVP for WJC. MVP for Calder cup (in his first year). I'm not over-hyping him in the least.

Edit: And I'm not expecting Vezina trophy or the best goalie in the league....but he should be top 5 at least.
Again, no he's not. Expecting a goalie in his second and first full season in the NHL to be top 5 is absolutely and overwhelmingly ridiculous at best.

THAT is overhyping.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
goldglove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post

why predictions ? I just posted his season stats.

but, he would be 12-0 with the sharks. considering both sharks and habs are contender for their conference

Old
11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post

I'd bet he'd have less wins but probably a better save percentage etc.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
why predictions ? I just posted his season stats.

but, he would be 12-0 with the sharks.
but im saying on a bad team.

comparing with Lehtonen, Vokoun, or like Toskala. Not with a top, stanley cup contending team.

But then i can't even begin to imagine how good his stats would look on NJ or Bos or Min

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
Before the season started, I thought to myself: IF the Habs have a chance at the Cup, Price will have to post at least a 2.35 GAA and a.930 save percentage.
Of goalies who have played at least 10 games, only Thomas, Backstrom and Lundqvist meet your .930 SV% - and they won't keep that up. I agree that Price will have to be outstanding for the Habs to win the cup, but how about lowering the bar to .920 (Luongo/Brodeur's SV% in their great seasons) for the regular season?

IMO, GAA is more of a team stat than a measure of a goalie's contribution.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote