HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Objective Comments on Price

Old
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Selanne08*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
I'd bet he'd have less wins but probably a better save percentage etc.
oh ok. thanks

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:40 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Again, no he's not. Expecting a goalie in his second and first full season in the NHL to be top 5 is absolutely and overwhelmingly ridiculous at best.

THAT is overhyping.
I totally disagree....he is widely (by most hockey people and fans) touted as the best goaltending prospect in the world. He HAS shown he can play up to that expectation and be amongst the best in the NHL. He simply has been playing BELOW his already proven ability. That does not make him overhyped!!

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I think it's fair to say that Price always had to work on consistency. I remember that the year prior to his draft year, obviously not thinking we would be aiming for him, I remember thinking that he looked great but with always the bad goal from time to time and a lack of consistency. Mind you, this was a kid we were talking about, lack of consistency is normal stuff.

Price won the Juniors and the AHL championships. The kid won a lot by just playing the percentage and basing himself solely on talent. Now he's learning that he needs to be quicker, needs to be in shape and need to compete harder.

Price is just the perfect example of what the Habs are all about this year.....talent alone won't do it....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
I totally disagree....he is widely (by most hockey people and fans) touted as the best goaltending prospect in the world. He HAS shown he can play up to that expectation and be amongst the best in the NHL. He simply has been playing BELOW his already proven ability. That does not make him overhyped!!
Well it depends. Price was good in the Worlds....but was he that great? People in here keep saying how Pogge was overrated 'cause in the end his defense was so great ahead of him, it made his job easier.....but was Price's defense so bad? And a real example of overhyping is Pierre McGuire calling Price's performance in the shootout as one of the best he has seen from a goalie.....euh...what? 4 goals in 8 shots, one of the greatest performance?

Then the AHL playoffs where he was really good. Some experts calling it one of the best performance they've seen from a goalie...but again, phrases like that contributes to the hype, deserved or not.

Nobody is saying that he's bad, but there is a difference between a good young goalie in route to a great career with the potential of being a franchise goalie. And the Jesus that we've all been waiting for and is ready NOW to change the face of this team. He's not there yet. A lot of mental work to become what we all expect he will be.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:11 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well it depends. Price was good in the Worlds....but was he that great? People in here keep saying how Pogge was overrated 'cause in the end his defense was so great ahead of him, it made his job easier.....but was Price's defense so bad? And a real example of overhyping is Pierre McGuire calling Price's performance in the shootout as one of the best he has seen from a goalie.....euh...what? 4 goals in 8 shots, one of the greatest performance?

Then the AHL playoffs where he was really good. Some experts calling it one of the best performance they've seen from a goalie...but again, phrases like that contributes to the hype, deserved or not.

Nobody is saying that he's bad, but there is a difference between a good young goalie in route to a great career with the potential of being a franchise goalie. And the Jesus that we've all been waiting for and is ready NOW to change the face of this team. He's not there yet. A lot of mental work to become what we all expect he will be.
I do agree.

Thing is...he's shown in the NHL that he can be top-5. We saw some lengthy stretches last year where he was arguably the best goalie in the league. So I think he's not overhyped (HotPie's stance). I think he's hyped just right.

It seems we all agree he has to sharpen-up mentally for him to play to his potential consistently. Like you say, he has the talent.

Oh, and if anyone is overrated and overhyped, it's Pierre Maguire .

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceisRight View Post
Price is the best Habs goalie of all time...
I hope you were being sarcastic in that statement. Don't forget the

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 01:22 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
I do agree.

Thing is...he's shown in the NHL that he can be top-5. We saw some lengthy stretches last year where he was arguably the best goalie in the league. So I think he's not overhyped (HotPie's stance). I think he's hyped just right.

It seems we all agree he has to sharpen-up mentally for him to play to his potential consistently. Like you say, he has the talent.

Oh, and if anyone is overrated and overhyped, it's Pierre Maguire .
Well there you go. I'm not saying Price doesn't have the POTENTIAL to be a franchise goalie, or a top 5 goalie in the league.

It's expecting him to be a top 5 goalie and franchise goalie RIGHT NOW that makes him overhyped, especially when knowing that goaltenders take longer to develop than any other position.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
The sharks are 10-2 with a bad season nabokov(by his standard) price stats > in both gaa and sv%

the difference is when nabokov give up 4 or 6 goals, his team score 4+ or 6+.
The Sharks are heand and shoulders better than the Habs, it's not really even close. Also Nabokov has a long track record of awesome, Price is still a young guy. You can't compare the two.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Newhabfan

Any team can win with a goalie that stops everything. If the habs want to go far in the playoffs they have to lear ways to win games precisely when Price is not top shape. You know, the kind of game that the wings used to play, allowing 20 SoG max on Osgood per game.

We all know (hope) the habs will make the Playoffs - all this season is a training ground for the PO.

The team has a very good opportunity to learn playing well and winning without a goalie that stands on his head. Price is giving them this opportunity right now (not that he intended to )

I would be worried like hell if the Habs would win many games 1-0 or 2-1 over brilliant performances from Price.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:24 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
but im saying on a bad team.

comparing with Lehtonen, Vokoun, or like Toskala. Not with a top, stanley cup contending team.

But then i can't even begin to imagine how good his stats would look on NJ or Bos or Min
Does it matter? Luongo didn't do anything in Florida yet he's still one of, if not the, best goalie in the league.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Yes, it does work both ways. Maybe his inconsistent play coincided with the fact that the team in front of him has been garbage? You can't expect a goalie to save the team night in and night out.

Maybe Price would be more confident if the team in front of him was more consistent? Maybe he's trying too hard to overcompensate for the lack of effort in front?

It works both ways.
No, it doesn't work both ways. Don't know where you get that idea, sorry.

He's not "trying too hard to overcompensate for the lack of effort in front", he's just not mentally ready for each and every period of hockey. Goalies don't let in softer goals than normal simply because the team in front of them is playing worse. That's total bunk. A team with a goalie that is letting in softies will be worse, NOT the other way round.

And I find the expectations for Price are bang on - a #5 overall pick is expected to be a star and that's the expectation here.

But I'm not even talking about saving his team night and night out. I'm talking about not costing his team a lead, or putting them down a goal early, etc. on saves that a "locked in" Price (great turn of phrase there) should be making. We know he's capable of better, but hasn't brought it each night - we are expecting an off game 1 out of 9 or 1 out of 10, not, "which Price is in nets tonight?" all the time. That's the end of the Theodore era in a nutshell, and it didn't help the team's confidence.

Maybe the team *is* in a lot more trouble than you thought. Right now the only guy inspiring the team is Koivu (the REAL Jesus on the Habs).

But I think it's just a matter of getting this kid on track in a zone for a few games. Once he does that, hands relax on sticks, and then when we get down an a goal that maybe could've been saved, we score our way out of trouble. It's really that simple, a mentality that starts with a goalie on top of his game.

Old
11-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
And I find the expectations for Price are bang on - a #5 overall pick is expected to be a star and that's the expectation here.
Not for a goalie it shouldn't. We do see how Fleury, a #1 pick evolved over the years....same for DiPietro and most of the goalies anyway. A #5 pick is expected to be a great player in the long run but especially if he's a goalie. Any other top 5 pick might be expected to start in the lineup as soon as the year after and make an impact either the same year of the year after.....but then it also depends of the quality of the draft.

Old
11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Ishmael

Ritalin... he needs Ritalin.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
8-3-1 2.61 0,915

ranked 10th in sv% (10+ games)
ranked 10th in gaa (10+ games)
ranked 7th in wins

2nd year in the NHL
End thread...

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

McGuire said Price's performance in the Overtime and the Shootout... not just the shootout..... Go watch that 10 minute overtime again.... Canada should have lost that game 3 or 4 times if not for Carey.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Rayne*

Goalies typically reach their prime around 30. Price is 21. I can't fathom how good this kid will be by that time.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:47 PM
DaHabMan

he'll be fine imo, the games in which he let in 6 goals the team just plain sucked and left him out to dry. Our defensive game is the problem, we let too many scoring chances and at some point theyre bound to go in no matter who is in nets. Sure, weve beeen better the last two games and our goalies were able to do their jobs

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Not for a goalie it shouldn't. We do see how Fleury, a #1 pick evolved over the years....same for DiPietro and most of the goalies anyway. A #5 pick is expected to be a great player in the long run but especially if he's a goalie. Any other top 5 pick might be expected to start in the lineup as soon as the year after and make an impact either the same year of the year after.....but then it also depends of the quality of the draft.
Fair enough, a "star in the making" if you prefer. FWIW I totally agree with your comments in this thread, I'm not at all impatient with Price, he just needs to get back on track.

Road trip should help !

Old
11-18-2008, 03:14 PM
BulldogFever

Rip him down! Just like the fans rip everyone down! 3rd pro season and he has to be better than the best goalie of all-time. If anyone has forgotten Patty Roy wasn't too good after 1986, it took him 3 years to get back to the final. And before anyone says that he won them the Cup in 1986, Claude Lemieux could aave wont the Conn Smythe too!

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:14 PM
superstar436

Does he still play hybrid style like Brodeur and Luongo or is he a butterfly goalie now.
I see him going way too much on his knees. Is it lack of confidence

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:25 PM
znk

I dont like him as much as most here.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
dutchy29

A little inconsistent at times, but bounces back well, which I think shows great character.
Hes so young, it just wouldnt be normal if he was playing crazy awesome at this point in his career. Lets face it their is not many Roy's or Brodeur's in the world.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

My honest to God objective opinion : The guy is only 21 friggin years old with a tremendous upside and unlimited potential.

Just let the kid grow.

Luongo didn't dominate at that age, neither did Brodeur, neither did any other goalie in regular season. He would be a first.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
So in the end the problem isn't Price.....it's the hype. And I totally agree.
Damn French Media!

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:52 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

People have to remember that he is still only 21.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote