HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Try AK46 on the point

Old
11-18-2008, 02:47 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Dude. Ever heard about opportunity cost? Google it up.

If you sacrifice the one-timer, you gain more passing options, which is the strength of this team. And, you'll get one-timers from either, players in the slot or high in the O zone (where Kovy used to score on his one-timers so often) or if the player in the right corridor (Kovy), send it back to you.

Either way, I saw Weber doing a few one-timers from passes by Markov or Hammer, so I bet he can take some from the PPQ too!

I don't even know why I'm arguing with you, I want Andrei or Sergei on the point more than a righty at this point in time. Keep kovalev on the right side, it's his spot.
I disagree Chomsky... it needs to be a LH shot to shot the one timers from Markov.

The whole reason we need a shooter instead of another passer is that noone is respecting the shots from 2 of the 3guys at the top of the umbrella in the PP. The only shot they respect and try to prevent is the Kovy wrister.... if you can have a good onetimer slapper on passes from Markov at RD it will force the defence to spread their box... this will lead to better diagonal passes and more room for Kovalev. It really is the key to the PP to expand that box and not allow them to collapse into the passing lanes cause the point guys don't have the big slapshot.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:50 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I disagree Chomsky... it needs to be a LH shot to shot the one timers from Markov.

The whole reason we need a shooter instead of another passer is that noone is respecting the shots from 2 of the 3guys at the top of the umbrella in the PP. The only shot they respect and try to prevent is the Kovy wrister.... if you can have a good onetimer slapper on passes from Markov at RD it will force the defence to spread their box... this will lead to better diagonal passes and more room for Kovalev. It really is the key to the PP to expand that box and not allow them to collapse into the passing lanes cause the point guys don't have the big slapshot.
I was going to agree, but I wonder if teams just haven't taken that away. Streit and Souray are gone, but it's a staple play that they were known for, maybe the right side is just being suffocated ? Last year at a point, Kovy shifted to the left, which is an option if Markov is to stay on the right. Just a thought.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Bingo!

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I was going to agree, but I wonder if teams just haven't taken that away. Streit and Souray are gone, but it's a staple play that they were known for, maybe the right side is just being suffocated ? Last year at a point, Kovy shifted to the left, which is an option if Markov is to stay on the right. Just a thought.
I think the way to get rid of that suffocation is the big point shot.... right now guys are cheating off of Markov and covering Kovalev a little bit more closely... you add the big shot beside Kovalev and you can avoid this.

Will it happen overnight?? No cause you can't just plug someone in there and get teams to respect it right away... but you need to put someone there and just start setting them up and let them fire the puck for the next little while when teams wont respect them.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
It's worth a shot, although it might leave the door open for shorties. Why not just call up Weber and bench Brisebois instead? When Komi comes back, then O'Brutal can sit.
"O'Brutal" i LOLed

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
shamrun

At the beginning of the year i wanted to keep A Kost in front of the goalie. That's where he was effective last year. This year (i dont know if it's a lack of confidence, teams have a book on our pp, Markov not setting up plays etc) we need a little variety on the pp.

A Kost has a big wrist shot, im just not sure if his timing is crisp enough for one timers (like sourray and streit had). For what its worth if i was Jarvis id try it out. Hopefully tanguay or saku could offer some type of screening.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
I can not for the life of me understand why people want to call up Weber, considering that he only has 2 goals and 4 assists in 16 games, with only ONE powerplay goal.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
11alias11

Without that LH shooter on the right everything becomes much more one dimensional. Markov on the left side now only has 1 "lethal" option and thats to pass to Kovalev. No one-timer from the right point means the defense can focus more on stopping that pass. Trying to guess where Markov would go before was harder, will he pass to the lethal Kovalev, or the lethal one-timer? Now it's easier to defend. Without having to worry about a booming shot from there, defenses can focus more on Kovalev which is why his PP production is down.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:27 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11alias11 View Post
Without that LH shooter on the right everything becomes much more one dimensional. Markov on the left side now only has 1 "lethal" option and thats to pass to Kovalev. No one-timer from the right point means the defense can focus more on stopping that pass. Trying to guess where Markov would go before was harder, will he pass to the lethal Kovalev, or the lethal one-timer? Now it's easier to defend. Without having to worry about a booming shot from there, defenses can focus more on Kovalev which is why his PP production is down.
Too bad Lang can't shoot, otherwise Markov would be able to skate towards the center and have a choice between passing back to Lang (RHS) or Kovalev (LHS) who would be at his usual spot. Basically an umbrella set up. But with Lang's missing the puck, we'd go no where fast.

Honestly, I think I'm beginning to understand why Carbo wants a RHS on the PP.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
I can not for the life of me understand why people want to call up Weber, considering that he only has 2 goals and 4 assists in 16 games, with only ONE powerplay goal.
I can see what you're saying, he isn't burning the league with his stats and he still has parts of his game that need to be developed.

I suspect people want to see him because he looked good in preseason (for the little that's worth), has a great shot and might provide not only the PP in Montreal with a boost but might get a few people to step up their game if they see kids from the farm being called up.

As far as his stats go, what you don't mention is that he leads the team in scoring among Dmen, which doesn't suddenly put him in contention for a callup I know, but by saying he "only" has those stats, you almost make it sound like he is struggling. In regards to his PP stats, nothing special yet but the Dogs PP is going back to what worked a few years ago when A.Kost/Grabs were there. The forwards are more involved in controlling the PP down low because they have guys who can do it well this year. They still have the option of going back to the point, but they don't rely on a big shot and then looking for rebounds, as seemed to be the case at times last year. Once other teams start addressing what the forwards are doing down low, especially when Lehoux gets it around the left wing corner/half boards, there should be more room back at the point and the team knows by now how well the kid can shoot. Give him a little time and the stats will come, unless he suddenly stops hitting the net with almost every single shot he takes.

All in all, he's probably not worth a callup at this point unless Carbo wants to shake things up, but he's doing well so far and may be worth a callup at some point this season if things don't improve.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Squeaky

I'd be happy to try it out with AK on the point. I've been advocating having a big LH shot for the PP since the off-season. Heck, I was one of the seemingly few people who realized that just because we replaced Souray with Streit without a problem doesn't mean we can replace Streit with nobody and still have a dominant PP. You need the big shot to keep the other team honest, and it frees up all kinds of space for Kovalev off the half-boards.

Personally, I'd try Hamrlik on the point first. He's got a decent shot and plenty of veteran savvy, I'm sure he could handle playing triggerman for a bit.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote