HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to the other NY Rangers?

Old
11-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
true. we are in agreement on that point.

however, you see, im one of those odd long time nyr fans who want this team to WIN THE CUP, not just make the playoffs for "4 straight years" blah blah blah. and yes, before you say it, i was around for the 7 years of no playoffs....

im one of those freaks that wants his team to actually score a pp goal on occasion and maybe win a game that isnt a nailbiter every single night.
You're definitely not one of the patient ones who understands there are 82 games in a season, not just 21

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
true. we are in agreement on that point.

however, you see, im one of those odd long time nyr fans who want this team to WIN THE CUP, not just make the playoffs for "4 straight years" blah blah blah. and yes, before you say it, i was around for the 7 years of no playoffs....

im one of those freaks that wants his team to actually score a pp goal on occasion and maybe win a game that isnt a nailbiter every single night.
So in your heart of hearts, do you really think this team has the personnel up front to challange for the cup? Do you really think they should be scoring much more then they are? I dont know how you could answer yes to either of those questions...and in turn I dont know how you can then fault Renney for doing a poor job. You act as if Tortarella came in here that Naslund would shave 5 years off his life and return to a 90+ point player.

I remember just after the trade deadline, noone knew what the hell to think of this team. At 14-5-2, they've certainly been a pleasant surprise to me.

And even with all this said, you have to make it to the playoffs to have a chance, and this team seems to be on its way. Once you're there with a great goaltender, then anything can happen.

But if you're expecting this team to compete for the cup 1 season after about half the core was essentially blown up, well, maybe thats your problem right there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Ola

BTW, last time I checked we were 3rd overall in the league in shots.

Hardly a indication that we are a defensive team.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

You guys are asking for free-flowing offense, yet we have a coach punishing those who try to initiate just that type of game.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

But what was it 24th in goals?

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
You guys are asking for free-flowing offense, yet we have a coach punishing those who try to initiate just that type of game.
Punishing? Whys that? Because the pretty pony Zherdev got benched for a period?

For the most part, a free-flowing offense does not correspond to this team's strength. Barring Zherdev, we just dont have the horses for it. Therefore, its Zherdev's responsibility to buy into Renney's system...not the other way around.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

For the most part, a free-flowing offense does not correspond to this team's strength. Barring Zherdev, we just dont have the horses for it. Therefore, its Zherdev's responsibility to buy into Renney's system...not the other way around.
Whether you like it or not...Zherdev is this teams go-to guy. He's the best talent on the squad, and quite honestly I find his benching of last night abysmal. I saw no need, same goes for Voros's benching. Renney probably had soemthing up his ass for a few minutes last night. That's all it was.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Punished?

You can't build a free-flowing offense when six of your top 10 forwards have combined for 9 career goals.

11-18-2008, 04:09 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Punished?

You can't build a free-flowing offense when six of your top 10 forwards have combined for 9 career goals.
I said it before the season began. That this team is one PURE GOAL SCORER away from being a legit cup contender. Gaborik is intriguing, but he's probably going to cost us alot. Dubinsky and Zherdev have soemthing going, if this team can find a LW for that line, a LW that can finnish -- we'll start seeing much better results.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:10 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
So in your heart of hearts, do you really think this team has the personnel up front to challange for the cup? Do you really think they should be scoring much more then they are? I dont know how you could answer yes to either of those questions...and in turn I dont know how you can then fault Renney for doing a poor job. You act as if Tortarella came in here that Naslund would shave 5 years off his life and return to a 90+ point player.

I remember just after the trade deadline, noone knew what the hell to think of this team. At 14-5-2, they've certainly been a pleasant surprise to me.

And even with all this said, you have to make it to the playoffs to have a chance, and this team seems to be on its way. Once you're there with a great goaltender, then anything can happen.

But if you're expecting this team to compete for the cup 1 season after about half the core was essentially blown up, well, maybe thats your problem right there.

um........ tampa bay rays.. ever heard of em?

it can happen. not if u dont score runs...er... goals tho.

worst to first does happen in sports. this team can and will compete for a cup if hank stays healthy. i want them to do more than compete.

you think the red wings want to "compete" for the cup?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Whether you like it or not...Zherdev is this teams go-to guy. He's the best talent on the squad, and quite honestly I find his benching of last night abysmal. I saw no need, same goes for Voros's benching. Renney probably had soemthing up his ass for a few minutes last night. That's all it was.
The thing I love about this team is there is no "go-to" guy. As such, the team doesn't look to one guy to carry the scoring load.

Let's not go overboard on Zherdev here. He can be very exciting and he's extremely talented - but that has not neccesarily translated to NHL success. The guy has never scored 30 goals.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

maybe that's the whole problem. Renney's system. It seems like he wants his players to play "not to lose" instead of playing to win. To cautious, and to passive for my liking. Good teams play cautious, and defensive. Great teams push and make lesser teams play defensively.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Im quite sure Renney realizes that Zherdev is the most talented forward on the Rangers. Maybe thats why he felt it necessary to make it known that this team cant afford for Zherdev to take a night off.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
maybe that's the whole problem. Renney's system. It seems like he wants his players to play "not to lose" instead of playing to win. To cautious, and to passive for my liking. Good teams play cautious, and defensive. Great teams push and make lesser teams play defensively.
14-5-2.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
um........ tampa bay rays.. ever heard of em?

it can happen. not if u dont score runs...er... goals tho.
If you don't have the hitters, you win with pitching and defense.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If you're bored with this team, then there are plenty others to watch.

Me? I like winning hockey games.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
you think the red wings want to "compete" for the cup?
Where are the Hossas, Datsyuks and Zetterbergs on this team?

Old
11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

shots mean nothing. last time i checked goals win games. id rather shoot alot less and score more.

so is that like if you lead the league in swinging strike outs thats somehow a positive?

we take alot of shots and im sick of hearing... high, wide, miss, block, deflected away, tipped wide, post, pipe, crossbar, in close missed the net!, its a 3 on 1 and they pass the puck and get no shot off and the famous.... 5 on 3 powerplay and they register no shots on goal.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:21 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
If you're bored with this team, then there are plenty others to watch.

Me? I like winning hockey games.
yeah but if henrik goes on a little cold spell, we won't be winning at all. so yeah there is reason to be concerned w/ how we play this game. we are very overrated defensively, and give up way to many good scoring chances. Henrik has been nothing short of God like this year. he has won us most of our games.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where are the Hossas, Datsyuks, Zetterbergs and this team?
isnt it strange. the detroit game was an exciting game. up and down, wide open exciting hockey. other than our usual slow start, we went toe to toe and couldnt over come home town bogus line change calls.

we have the talent to compete at a high level. we have better goaltending and a defense which is close to detroit. the difference is their top 6 forwards are PLAYING better than ours. now.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
yeah but if henrik goes on a little cold spell, we won't be winning at all. so yeah there is reason to be concerned w/ how we play this game. we are very overrated defensively, and give up way to many good scoring chances. Henrik has been nothing short of God like this year. he has won us most of our games.
Theres too many IFs in life to worry about them.

Guess what? Henrik hasn't had a cold spell, and the team is built around him for a reason.

IF any team's best player went through a cold spell, they'd probably have a tough time winning as well.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
isnt it strange. the detroit game was an exciting game. up and down, wide open exciting hockey. other than our usual slow start, we went toe to toe and couldnt over come home town bogus line change calls.

we have the talent to compete at a high level. we have better goaltending and a defense which is close to detroit. the difference is their top 6 forwards are PLAYING better than ours. now.
Their top 3 forwards are also inheritantly better than our best forward.

Overrating our talent up front at the expense of our coach seems to be a popular position these days.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Supposedly minnesota had scouts at last nights game..

Old
11-18-2008, 04:31 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Theres too many IFs in life to worry about them.

Guess what? Henrik hasn't had a cold spell, and the team is built around him for a reason.

IF any team's best player went through a cold spell, they'd probably have a tough time winning as well.
but he has one every season. everyplayer goes through them. good teams find a way to overcome them. Crosby an MAF was injured for a while last year and pitt still won the division.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
but he has one every season. everyplayer goes through them. good teams find a way to overcome them. Crosby an MAF was injured for a while last year and pitt still won the division.
Yeah. And their second best player went 47g 59a 106 pts. Malkin carried that team with Crosby out.