HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It is time to put 1 or 2 players on waiver

Old
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
mariolemieux66

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
It is time to put 1 or 2 players on waiver

I think there is no more need for players like Begin and Dandenault.
Begin at 1 100 000$ and dandenault at 1 725 000 $ make them the most expensive regular healthy scratches in the league.

Laraque at 1 500 000$ should play 90% of the games
Lapierre, without putting lots of points on the board as been decent.Lapierre is a fast skater who does good backcheking that we need on our 4th line.
Kostopoulos gives it all every game and as more skills than Begin and less injury prone.

I will give Stewart, Chipchura and D'Agostini a few games sometimes in the next month.
If Bob is going to make a trade for a solid top 4 dmen, he should take a look at them and find out what they can do in important situations and make a evaluation.
If they perform well, it will also get the attention of other G.M.'s

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Beakermania*

We have two injuries on defence right now and you want to waive Dandenault??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

In a healthy setting, Dandenault I wouldn't think twice about it. Yes.

Begin....the man broke his body for us. Let's give him the courtesy of eating his whole contract for the year and spending the year in the bigs with us. We don't have to re-sign him next year though.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Laraque needs to get in shape,cause right now he doesn't belong in the NHL the way he his skating.He never was a fast skater,but this year he looks slower then ever and it's scary for the next 2 years

Dandenault,Begin,etc.. are all gone at season end

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Fido22

Dandenault and Begin are usefull players to have around in case of injury or to shake things up once in a while. No need to waive them.....unless you need the cap space....the Habs aren't waiving them....I take it as a sign they don't need the cap space.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Begin at 1 100 000$ and dandenault at 1 725 000 $ make them the most expensive regular healthy scratches in the league.

Laraque at 1 500 000$ should play 90% of the games
Lapierre, without putting lots of points on the board as been decent.Lapierre is a fast skater who does good backcheking that we need on our 4th line.
Kostopoulos gives it all every game and as more skills than Begin and less injury prone.

I will give Stewart, Chipchura and D'Agostini a few games sometimes in the next month.
If Bob is going to make a trade for a solid top 4 dmen, he should take a look at them and find out what they can do in important situations and make a evaluation.
If they perform well, it will also get the attention of other G.M.'s
Of any time up to now, this is the WORST time to consider putting anyone on waivers. You may as well forget about it, if these guys were going on waivers it would have happened by now. The only thing that would change the situation is if a deal was made to bring someone in and management had to shed salary to fit under the cap.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Beakermania*

Getting rid of them now makes no sense... for the amount of money you save, a few hundred grand... you are putting young players in the pressbox instead of letting them learn in Hamilton playing 15-20 minutes per night.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Henry or Belle are probably more effective playing D than Dandenault.
We all saw how he looked last year when he played D.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Henry or Belle are probably more effective playing D than Dandenault.
We all saw how he looked last year when he played D.
He didn't play D once last year... and he looked okay on D in the preseason.

I know Belle has nice stats and all, but i'm not convinced on him based on what i've seen of his play (3=4 dogs games plus preseason).

Henry i do think should be the first callup if we need one; but i'd still try dandy before either of them.

Old
11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Laraque needs to get in shape,cause right now he doesn't belong in the NHL the way he his skating.He never was a fast skater,but this year he looks slower then ever and it's scary for the next 2 years

Dandenault,Begin,etc.. are all gone at season end
It is my understanding that Laraque is out of shape due to the fact that he is suffering from a groin injury and on occasion, has been playing with that injury.
Give him time to heal and I think that you will see that he will be much improved.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Clearly the Habs have zero intention of using him back there. Brisebois has been god awful and still no change.

Im with the original poster, at least when it comes to Dandeneault...im sick of seeing him in the lineup. He needs to be waived. We could put his 1.7 million to much better use, IMO.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

once Komisarek is back, I'm all for waiving Begin or Dandeneault.

We'd be left with one extra forward and one extra defenseman, that should be enough.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
dutchy29

I agree with Dandenault and Begin being the next to go, Begin was a monster a couple years ago but seems to have burnt himself out, Kostopolus has taken his role on very well. Dandenault I havent really appreciated much the last year and a half.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Clearly the Habs have zero intention of using him back there. Brisebois has been god awful and still no change.

Im with the original poster, at least when it comes to Dandeneault...im sick of seeing him in the lineup. He needs to be waived. We could put his 1.7 million to much better use, IMO.
First off your a month and a half into the season so consider approx 1/4 of that 1.7million already spent and you aren't getting it back by waiving him now.

Secondly what are you gonna use it for... we have 2mill in cap space we will be able to aquire anything we need at the deadline.

Third we are 8-1-1 with Dandy in the lineup... he has not been playing badly, in fact he has far exceeded my expectations of him this year so far. I don't see what we gain by just waiving him.

Old
11-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Like any team would claim those guys at their salaries at this point of the year if we did put them on waivers. It would be basically pointless.

And before you say ''they are sunk costs, let's send them to the farm'', even then I say no. We already have a surplus of bodies down there and some prospects haven't been getting the ice time they need to develop.

Begin and Dandenault should just be happy they are in the NHL on a good team (which means not being regulars) and making 7 figures for the last time in their careers.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:02 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
First off your a month and a half into the season so consider approx 1/4 of that 1.7million already spent and you aren't getting it back by waiving him now.

Secondly what are you gonna use it for... we have 2mill in cap space we will be able to aquire anything we need at the deadline.

Third we are 8-1-1 with Dandy in the lineup... he has not been playing badly, in fact he has far exceeded my expectations of him this year so far. I don't see what we gain by just waiving him.
Same here, but once Komisarek's back I'd still waive him (though I'd rather waive Bégin), he may not be playing badly but, reality is, even on a good night is not really better than a Bégin or a Lapierre.

It's not just the money saved it's also about having our players, even the 4th liners, to play more than 1/3 of the games... and have some sort of competition on the other lines, right now they know they're safe, NO ONE can be called up to replace them, and that includes guys like D'Agostini who's tearing up the AHL right now.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:17 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
The Problem with Dandenaut and Begin is that they are fillers and they don't know it, or they havn't realized it yet.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:18 PM
jdmef8vtec*

lets blame the way were playing on those 2. Dandeneault in my opinion is a very useful 4th line, PK player, he's been very solid in his role so far this year. Begin on the other hand as struggled, but like someone else said no way Gainey direspects this player by waiving him a trade for 14th round pick maybe.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
TheCH*

There is Definitely a need for Begin.
See:
Our physical game against the bruins all last year and in the playoffs, compared to the last time we played them. He is the hardest hitter on the team, and will sacrifice himself to block any shot.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:

Well you would still be getting back about 1.3 or so million...pretty good to me.

I see the Habs record with Dandy in the lineup as a simple coincidence. He hasn't been a big contributor in any game he's played.

I'd personally rather have 3.3 million at the deadline (or earlier) to get what we need. There are a few areas that could use some shoring up.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I honestly think Begin will be re-signed for Hamilton or at a league minimum salary.

I hate when people want to call up rookies to sit in the press box. It makes little sense.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Well you would still be getting back about 1.3 or so million...pretty good to me.

I see the Habs record with Dandy in the lineup as a simple coincidence. He hasn't been a big contributor in any game he's played.

I'd personally rather have 3.3 million at the deadline (or earlier) to get what we need. There are a few areas that could use some shoring up.
2 million is worh over 7 million in salary at the deadline... more than enough... also remember you may al so be trading players away at the deadline or waiving them after that point... If you add players you wont need more bodies on the roster.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I'm guessing you didn't look at a single other team's healthy scratches before you arrived at this conclusion.

Just in the last week Jason Blake, Dustin Penner, Rob Niedermayer and Darryl Sydor were healthy scratches.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:06 PM
HabsoluteFate

someone might need to explain me why Higgin's skills are wasted with Kostopolous (and yes i complained when he was on Koivu's line but thats because i felt he wasnt ready yet...i think his hat trick showed he is now ready)

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egomania* View Post
i would, it isn't like he is a great 7th dman!

Put that clown in the minors with Begin and suck up the salary and sign Shanahan for some grit and leadership for those top 2-3 lines.

Call up Weber as well for the PP.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote