HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Who Owns The Montreal Maroons Today?

Old
11-18-2008, 02:19 PM
CH4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
The correct order is:

Jubilée
Montreal Arena
Jubilée
Mont Royal
Forum
Bell Centre
But Dan Bigras has proofs that the Montreal Forum has never existed!

Always have been a cinema...

everyone in this thread is so wrong

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
in BB its Hurricanes, Fede de l'est, Fede 76, P.A.T, Braves Ahuntsic and JSH. Its an 8 team league when you include the 2 teams from Bourassa.(www.hockeymontreal.ca)

CC no longer exist in Montreal

AA has Maroons de Montreal who are connected with Fede 76 amd Hurricanes and Ahuntsic from the BB level. and Etoiles de l'est who are connected with Fede de l'est, P.A.T, J.SH.
(www.liguemontrealmetro.qc.ca)

Midget AAA.. Montreal-Bourassa changed 2 years ago.
Montreal is now on it's own.
Laval is now with Bourassa and form a team called le Rousseau sports de Laval-Bourassa.

back in the day it was les Regents de Laval-Laurentides-Lanaudiere
now its Vikings des Laurentides, Rousseau Sports de Laval Bourassa and Draveurs de Crabtree.
JayDee you bring back alot of old memories. My brother and I coached in the eighties the PAT Jets and we were part of the original Etoiles de L'Est teams. We played against some pretty good teams and players. We had some memorable games against the Hurons specifically. We once coached Martin Brodeur in a Bantam AAA end of year tournament (Montreal-Bourassa all-star team) and Felix Potvin was our call up goalie at les Etoiles de L'est. My brother still coaches professionally in first division France (Briancon)

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
I am not sure about that. I think that the Nordiques belongs to the Avalanche, the Jets to the Coyotes, etc.

And there is at least one exception: I think that the Whalers belongs to the city of Hartford (and this is why you can't use Whalers jerseys in hockey video games when you take Carolina, because they don't have the rights.)
This isn't true. I'm about 90% certain that the rights to the Jets are owned by the city of Winnipeg.

11-18-2008, 03:04 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
This isn't true. I'm about 90% certain that the rights to the Jets are owned by the city of Winnipeg.
But they had Bobby Hull's #9 retired in their arena and Brett asked if he could wear his father's number. It was up to the Coyotes, so I assume they own the rights to the Jets.

Last edited by le_sean: 11-19-2008 at 02:11 AM.
le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:06 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
But they had Bobby Hull's #16 retired in their arena and Brett asked if he could wear his father's number. It was up to the Coyotes, so I assume they own the rights to the Jets.
A retired number doesn't have anything to do with the rights to a team's name and logo.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:30 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
A retired number doesn't have anything to do with the rights to a team's name and logo.
Yes it does, that's part of the team's history. If you don't have the rights to it then how can you hang it up? Especially considering the Jets team he played for was in the WHA, not the NHL.

Look at Ron Francis in Carolina. He spent most of his years with that organization as a Whaler. Those were also his best years offensively. But his jersey is retired as a Cane, probably because the Hurricanes don't own the rights to the Whalers for whatever reason.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:49 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's correct. If I happen to run into someone who would know for sure, I'll ask.

Speaking of Habs history, has anyone else read The Montreal Canadiens by D'Arcy Jenish? I think it came out fairly recently... I got it last month when I was in Montreal and I couldn't put it down.
It is on my Christmas Wish List for 2008 that my relatives requested I create.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Norois...

Just a follow up on what is "Norois" ?

I thought it meant...maroon in French...

However

http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/norois

Seems it is the ancient medieval language of Scandinavia...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
chitownhabsfan

After a little research, I would say that the heirs of Donat Raymond's estate are the owners of the Montreal Maroons since he was the last owner of the team.

I don't think that the NHL would be the owners, unless the heirs or estate sold the Maroon's rights to it.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:16 PM
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Wen I am tire of travail-trop
I put on coat of coon
And go see Canadiens make meence-meat of Maroon

When Joliat skate out I yell
Unteel I have a pain
I trow my ‘at up in the hair
And shout “Urrah,” again.

“Shut up, Pea Soup”, an Henglishman
Sourcastic say to me;
So I turn round to heem and yell :
“Shut up, you Cup of Tea.”

Dat was a ver’ exciting game:
De score eet was a tie;
An’ den dat leetle Joliat
Get hanger een hees heye.

He was so queek he mak’ dem look
Jus’ lak’ a lot of clown
An, wen he shoot, de wind from ‘er
Eet knock de hompire down.

Dat was de winning goal, ‘urrah;
De game she come to hend.
I yell: “Bravo for Joliat;
You ‘ear: ‘e ees ma friend.”

De Henglishman he say: “Pardon,”
An’ he tak off hees hat:
“De Breetish Hempire steel ees safe
Wen men can shoot lak’ dat.”

An’ den he say, “Bravo,” as hard
As Henglishman can whoop:
“I tink tonight I’ll change from tea
To bally ole pea-soup.”
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I've been looking for this for over 30 years and nobody I've spoken to about it, including a number of local poets,has ever been able to point me towards it.

Originally came across it in an old English text that has long since gone out of use in Quebec. they must have burned every copy in the province because I've never seen it in any supply room and schools don't hardly ever throw anything out.

This is worth a six-pack to me. Double if you can tell me the author's name. think it was Wilson Somebody or Somebody Wilson.

I also remember a line about the author never having met Joliat personally but "I know a man who know a man who know heem very well."

Last edited by justsomeguy: 11-18-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: recovered memory
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:16 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yes it does, that's part of the team's history. If you don't have the rights to it then how can you hang it up? Especially considering the Jets team he played for was in the WHA, not the NHL.

Look at Ron Francis in Carolina. He spent most of his years with that organization as a Whaler. Those were also his best years offensively. But his jersey is retired as a Cane, probably because the Hurricanes don't own the rights to the Whalers for whatever reason.
It really doesn't. A retired number isn't any kind of contract or anything more than a ceremonial honour and a banner that it meaningless except emotionally. The Coyotes honour Bobby Hull's number because it's the same organization, however the Jets logo and name (actual legal entities) may or may not be part of that organization. I believe the logo and name were kept with the city of Winnipeg when the team left town, but I may not be correct in that.

The Cleveland Browns more or less did this (as apparently did the Whalers). When they left to go to Baltimore they ended up settling with the city so the team's name and logo, etc. would stay with the city of Cleveland. And then the NFL said they'd get a new team so they're named the Browns. The Ravens could have kept numbers retired if they wanted, it doesn't indicate anything.

What I'm saying is, I might be wrong, but a retired number isn't evidence of that. Is there a Jets logo on the banner?

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:26 AM
panorama01*

The Montreal AAA - that won the cup in 1893 - influenced the naming of the Red Wings - that team was nicknamed the Winged Wheelers and one former member of that organisation was the one who took control of the Detroit Falcons and renamed them the Red Wings....

Anyway the Maroons and Canadiens shared the arena, shared owners and were run by Senator Raymond, and had many players in common. Apart from Blake, Cain and Siebert there was Paul Haynes who was one of the scoring leader on bad Canadiens teams in the late 30s who was previously a Maroon. They were run by Tommy Gordon and had Lorne Chabot as a goaltender for short periods of time (it was the Canadiens who picked him up and flipped him to the Maroons in time for the 1936 "longest game") - though curiously the Maroons seemed to get most of their goaltenders from the Senators after they were finished with them (Benedict, Connell and Breveridge)...

The rivalry between the Canadiens and Maroons punctuated the '20s and '30s period of the Canadiens' history and should be acknowledged somehow but the difficulty at this time would have to be that there are few people left from that time. I remember in the '80s there were still people from the '20s team around and who were around for the Maroons and the '30s and '40s but now it seems the history started in the '50s when they went from being the oldest, though not exceptionally successful team, to becoming the team that became exceptionally successful, above all other franchises in the NHL.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I've been looking for this for over 30 years and nobody I've spoken to about it, including a number of local poets,has ever been able to point me towards it.

Originally came across it in an old English text that has long since gone out of use in Quebec. they must have burned every copy in the province because I've never seen it in any supply room and schools don't hardly ever throw anything out.

This is worth a six-pack to me. Double if you can tell me the author's name. think it was Wilson Somebody or Somebody Wilson.

I also remember a line about the author never having met Joliat personally but "I know a man who know a man who know heem very well."
This is "Monsieur Joliat" by Wilson MacDonald, easy to find on Google...

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Goalie Interference
Rookie User

No one owns the Montreal Maroons as a company. I doubt it was ever incorporated, as the Canadiens were not incorporated until 1935 (probably to shelter the owners from losses). It ceased to exist as an operating, unincorporated company in 1938. I suppose you could say it existed on paper as an asset until 1947, when the NHL refused to recognize the former team owners as having any rights to a team anymore.

The NHL almost certainly owns the Montreal Maroons trademarks under common law because they have been selling products with the name and design on it. Other have tried to register the trademark in Canada, but none have done it successfully. So to the extent the Montreal Maroons exist anymore, they exist solely as a common law trademark by which the NHL sells retro sweaters and lapel pins. Which my 95 year old Montreal Maroons fan great aunt would find sad if I ever mentioned it to her.

Goalie Interference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
You should ask McPhee. He was a player-coach with the Maroons for the first few years.
Youre right! i'd forgotten about that!!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Joe Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
We totally own at this sport, you guys.

41 Stanley Cups. Can another city claim to have had that many league championships via multiple teams in one sport? I'm thinking New York in baseball.
I only count 40, still damn impressive !

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
But Dan Bigras has proofs that the Montreal Forum has never existed!

Always have been a cinema...

everyone in this thread is so wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Where's Daniel Bigras when you REALLY need him....
Why do people keep asking for him ?

That poem.. Is it a poem ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote