HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/17/08: Nashville vs. San Jose

Old
11-18-2008, 05:37 PM
snaggle toof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Brad Lukowich Interference in the second on Radek Bonk, I was wondering why the face-off was outside our offensive zone when the foul occurred inside our defensive zone. Anybody figure that one out??

I don't have a link but I believe it was because of an icing call on the play. If I'm not mistaken the only exception to the faceoff in the offencive zone after a penalty rule is when the play ended on an icing call, in such situations they move the faceoff outside the zone.

snaggle toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by byter View Post
Do you have a link to somthing that confirms this because I have not heard of anything like this.
Where have you been?? It's a shame us little Preds fans know more than the MIGHTY Sharks fans. Like Foghorn Leghorn use to say "I say I say boy pay attention". LOL Just kidding with ya

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:47 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by byter View Post
I don't have a link but I believe it was because of an icing call on the play. If I'm not mistaken the only exception to the faceoff in the offencive zone after a penalty rule is when the play ended on an icing call, in such situations they move the faceoff outside the zone.
That makes some sense but what would make more sense would be the penalty negating the icing because the player being "interferred" with might have gotten to the puck if not being fouled??

Old
11-18-2008, 05:53 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Disagree with your take on Pav's deserving a 5 min.

Also, I really disagree with your assessment that Pavs and JT dive... you want to see a diver look at Crosby. Pavs NEVER dives. In fact, that's the first time I've seen anyone accuse him of this. I've said this for a while, but Pavs has future Captain written all over him. He's so determined, in the right place, and plays great CLEAN hockey, despite the incident tonight. I do NOT think that was dirty, it was just a freak accident. Shoulder to shoulder. Arnott was coming in so fast that I think Pavs contact (which was entirely legal) just sent him flying. If you crash the net, or go to the net, expect to pay for it. Unfortunately Arnott paid for it in a way that I hate to see.

Also, Tootoo is the guy I 'hate' on your team... and I say 'hate' cuz I really think that's a strong word which I tend not to use, but since Pavs seems to be so bad I guess hate would be the right word for me with this crowd. I think anyone outside of a Predators fan would agree that Tootoo is WAY more of a dirty player than Pavs. In fact, when dirty/lame players come to mind, Pavs is on the opposite spectrum to most of the league.

All in all, your physical play impresses me, but it needs to be a disciplined physical game.

Anyways, peace.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:57 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

In response to SJ announcers dubbing a video game, I would imagine that has alot to do with price and availability as opposed to popularity outside the Bay area and demonstrated analysis skills. Just saying.

BTW: If you really want some entertainment and have about 3 hrs to kill, browse the SJ GDT. It is 27 pages because you get 7-8 3 word posts with every score, penalty, incident, commercial, etc. It reads like what I imagine the AOL chat log of a bunch of 7th graders would look like. And they have guys that want to come to our GDT and instruct the ignorant hillbillies on the game of hockey.

I won't characterize it any further. Just compare the content quality of those posts with ours here. I would rather have 15 posts that actually say something and analyze the game than... that.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think SLake makes a much better case than you do Brian. There is no way that was simply shoulder to shoulder contact. I will agree that in most situations it is overlooked, but this was not your normal situation in any aspect. This fact alone changes things. By the letter of the rule, it was clearly a minor penalty, and as SLake pointed out, by the letter of the rule, this was a 5 minute major escalation due to the injury.

As for Tootoo, I'm not a big fan, and I never have been. With that said, fans around the league view him in an ignorant light and thrust it upon him whenever he is on the ice. The fact of the matter is, he rarely throws big hits anymore. In fact, his physical game is usually only evident when he barrels into a player while he is carrying the puck or retrieving the puck along the boards. This is far from dirty, and while it is frustrating to see your defenders get bowled over, this is a rare occurrence and certainly not the reason for the vitriol directed towards him. Fans view him as J. Ruutu or Ville Niemenen, and this could not be farther from the truth. He never was that good of an agitator, and aside from big hits, he has mostly simply tried to play each shift hard and physical. In the past, say, two years ago, his hits were questionable. They were dirty. They were over the edge. The past two years, and especially this year, his hits have been toned down significantly. If you take off the Shark glasses, I think you could agree that he threw maybe one questionable (as in illegal) hit last night in the first two periods (I say first two b/c these are the periods I watched), and it was anything but devastating, nor was it that hard. The charging call was really a reputation call, and I do not think it was made on him "leaving his feet" (which appeared to be after the hit to begin with.) If the Sharks announcers didn't painstakingly dissect all of his shifts, this is a non-issue. If you want to question him for sticking up for his players, then I call you a blatant hypocrite because the Shark smash Predator theme has been a virtual one way street for the past 4 years of our competitiveness. Again, I didn't see the third period, and my opinion could therefore change. With that said, I'm going to give him a pass on last night because it was not your normal night, especially with Arnott going down in such a horrible looking fashion. On any other team in the league, 3-4 guys are head-hunting immediately in the second period.

11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Disagree with your take on Pav's deserving a 5 min.

Also, I really disagree with your assessment that Pavs and JT dive... you want to see a diver look at Crosby. Pavs NEVER dives. In fact, that's the first time I've seen anyone accuse him of this. I've said this for a while, but Pavs has future Captain written all over him. He's so determined, in the right place, and plays great CLEAN hockey, despite the incident tonight. I do NOT think that was dirty, it was just a freak accident. Shoulder to shoulder. Arnott was coming in so fast that I think Pavs contact (which was entirely legal) just sent him flying. If you crash the net, or go to the net, expect to pay for it. Unfortunately Arnott paid for it in a way that I hate to see.

Also, Tootoo is the guy I 'hate' on your team... and I say 'hate' cuz I really think that's a strong word which I tend not to use, but since Pavs seems to be so bad I guess hate would be the right word for me with this crowd. I think anyone outside of a Predators fan would agree that Tootoo is WAY more of a dirty player than Pavs. In fact, when dirty/lame players come to mind, Pavs is on the opposite spectrum to most of the league.

All in all, your physical play impresses me, but it needs to be a disciplined physical game.

Anyways, peace.
Uh, take off your homer glasses there Sharkie boy. Also, why did you fell the need to defend Pavs on being a dirty player, I don't recall calling Pavs a dirty player. That's just like a Sharks fan putting words in peoples mouth and talkin with a blind eye. How many games have you watched since Pavelski been playing? Well I guess I have to be some what happy you didn't dispute with any type of argument that Thorton dives other than you "disagree". That "BIG STRONG" Thorton, gets a stick on him and he goes down. Then the ref feels the need to call some sort of foul because that "BIG STRONG" Thorton went down, so there has to be a penalty called. You also bring up Crosby does he dive? at times!, do some of our players dive? at times! The only difference is I can admit it unlike Sharks fans that "NEVER" see your players dive or embellish a play. "NEVER" would a Sharkie do dat!! You saying Pavelski "NEVER" dives would be the same as me saying that EVERYONE of your players dive.

Last edited by Enoch: 11-18-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: for content....
Old
11-18-2008, 09:06 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipera1960 View Post
By the way, on the puck that hit the frame of the goal, that puck should have remained in the zone because the rules were changed this season causing pucks that deflect out of play off the frame of the goal to remain in the offensive zone.
It wasn't off the frame, it was off the back of the net. That rule doesn't seem to include pucks off the net, so it should have gone out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Oh by the way where was the "cheap shots" that Toots took on your team?
THE cheap shot I was referring to was hitting Staubitz before he even dropped the gloves.

In response to the "many sharks fans with limited words in their posts" comment.
Keep in mind:

1. We have a larger fan base. (so you get long-winded and short comments)
2. We are the heart of Silicon Valley (so more of us have access to the web)
3. The GDT for the Sharks start and end with more in-depth comments, but during the game, yes, it's like a chat room.

Last edited by nodq: 11-18-2008 at 09:21 PM.
nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:54 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It's called sticking up for your teammates, it happens all across the NHL... except here, apparently.

The funny part is, this team thinks they've got some grit to them, when in reality we're a small, soft team that gets pushed around and consistently controlled by an aggressive forecheck. This has happened at some point or another in every game I've seen us play this season. The Los Angeles game was an anomaly in this respect - it's not the style of game we as a team like to play, but I think it's the style that we as a team NEED to play to be successful. Crashing the net, sacrificing the body, finishing checks, and not taking crap off of any other team in the Western Conference is the kind of game we need to be playing with our current talent (or lack thereof).
But there's sticking up for your teammates and then there's fighting because a teammate got hit. I agree with everything you said, I just think it's ridiculous that a player has to expect to fight just because he put a hard clean check on someone. I love fighting I really do, but it seems that some guys go overboard and it becomes a useless tool in the game. If the hit was high to the head or from behind or the guy gets injured, then yes someone should step up for that teammate but not for just a good clean hard check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
Announcers:
I've heard most teams throughout the league (via Center Ice) and I find the Sharks team to be among the LEAST biased (although they still are, as are all teams announcers).
That's because you listen to them as a Sharks fan. I've watched Sharks games, just random late night games and I just can't take them. Everything that SJ does is perfect and is such a beautiful play, penalties are all tickytac calls, the other team is completely wrong and deserving of every penalty.

Quote:
In response to the "many sharks fans with limited words in their posts" comment.
Keep in mind:

2. We are the heart of Silicon Valley (so more of us have access to the web)
What the hell? Are you really saying that no one outside of SJ has equal access to the internet? I'm pretty sure that anyone who wants to, can find the internet at their home, work, library, school, or even on their phone. What do you think we all live out in the country with no electricity, and we post here with 2 cans and a string plus a typewriter? I'll give you credit though, that's a new one for me.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Nodq has a point though - Their fanbase here is much larger, and they draw from a larger group of fans. The majority of our fans post at the main website's board (for whatever reason), and the ones that do post here, generally attend home games and use a chat room for those that do not attend.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 7800
my friends, always remember this very powerful HFboards tool:

if you ignore the Sharks fans, they will go away and we will all be happy.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
my friends, always remember this very powerful HFboards tool:

if you ignore the Sharks fans, they will go away and we will all be happy.
You have truly grasped the idea of this forum where we can talk about the sport we love. Ignore is the answer...

As for the Sharks announcers, they are somewhat biased, but not by far the most in the league.

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
THE cheap shot I was referring to was hitting Staubitz before he even dropped the gloves.
Ok since all you Sharks fans know Toots and his "cheap shots" that makes Staubitz is the DA for skating up on Toots the way he did after the hit. I believe Toots wanted to fight and Staubitz was wanting to draw a penalty. You could tell the way he laid there like he was hurt for a moment(like Pavelski does), then got up and only then did he drop the gloves . Toots was in the box telling Staubitz "be ready next time". Unfortunatley he thought he was in the third when Thorton started hackin on Nichol after the face off and fought. Didn't look like he was , I thought it was hilarious to see Toots smiling and Staubitz mad rubing the eye that just got popped two good times.

Last edited by DManPreds11: 11-19-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
You have truly grasped the idea of this forum where we can talk about the sport we love. Ignore is the answer...

As for the Sharks announcers, they are somewhat biased, but not by far the most in the league.
You're right ... the BJ announcers take homerism to a new level

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:13 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
...As for the Sharks announcers, they are somewhat biased, but not by far the most in the league.
I'll grant they are not the worst also. But they can be hard to listen to if you don't eat/breathe/sleep Shark.

And I'll not bother to comment on whether we hicks are still using tin cans and string rather than the internet.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
You're right ... the BJ announcers take homerism to a new level
No, not Columbus... anything but Columbus... the horror... the HORROR...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Rickety Cricket

Wow you guys really hate the Sharks and Pavelski

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I actually like Pavelski. Would trade for he and Marleau in a heartbeat (no, Weber is not on the market).

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I actually like Pavelski. Would trade for he and Marleau in a heartbeat (no, Weber is not on the market).
Well I was mainly referring to DMan about Pavelski

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Pavelski is, excluding Ryan Clowe, my favorite Shark...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Pavelski would fit on this team like a glove. I have no gripes against him. Big, tough, and he scores big goals.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
What the hell? Are you really saying that no one outside of SJ has equal access to the internet? I'm pretty sure that anyone who wants to, can find the internet at their home, work, library, school, or even on their phone. What do you think we all live out in the country with no electricity, and we post here with 2 cans and a string plus a typewriter? I'll give you credit though, that's a new one for me.
I didn't say that at all. You did. I know Nashville is a popular city. I said more people have access to the web in SJ area due to it being part of silicon valley. Tell me one other place in the world that has as many computers (or access to them) as Silicon Valley. That combined with a larger fan base will generate more forum posts, and not all the posts will be "in-depth".

However, if you would like to discuss this further, I suggest we set up our own private can-string-can system.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:36 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Tell me one other place in the world that has as many computers (or access to them) as Silicon Valley.

However, if you would like to discuss this further, I suggest we set up our own private can-string-can system.
Um, everywhere. Walmart sells computers, every person in the country has access to computers and the internet.

But hey since you have so much more access to the internet than I do, I'll let you go ahead and find out how much string we'll need to connect our cans together.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote