HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Not showing up costs points.

Old
11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Judge Sauer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
My b-day is in a few hours, thanks for nothing habs.

Bold prediction: loss to Ottawa, destroyed by Boston
Speaking of predictions....**** you Fido

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sparepart

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
This is not the time for rational thought, and certainly not for patience. The Habs must win every game, and every win must be convincing and epic....that is all.

Oh come on, the people complaining do have a point.

The habs have been giving lousy efforts for pretty much every game this season, (ESPECIALLY the past 4-5). Its not just about winning, its about the effort the team is giving.

What pisses me off the most (and worries me) is that Carbo doesn't even seem to realize that their is a problem with the team, he thinks the guys are playing great, if you listen to his usual post-game comments. I have no clue what game he's watching (or what mind games he's playing?)

Sparepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Quiet Robert

Pretty embarrassing month November is shaping up to be. The guys have shown up for 1 1/3 games so far. (Ottawa and 1 period against NYI). I'm surprised we have a 3-4-1 record to be honest. We've played terribly for most of the month.

Kovy's looking more like 06-07 version than 07-08. I think you had to be quite the fanboy to expect a repeat of last year, but he just looks awful more often than not this year. A bit more effort and simplification would go a long way with Kovy this year. A PPG is too much to expect, but effort and impact aren't.

Markov's had a pretty bad month, I wonder what his problem is. Just a ton of boneheaded plays again tonight.

Positives from tonight:

Kositsyn is much better without Kovalev. He was flying tonight. I really felt if anyone was going to tie this game up, it was A.Kost, not Kovy or any of the vets. He did have a few dumb turnovers and some plays that made me think he still looks rusty, but he definitely looks better without Kovy.

Price had a solid performance. Can't blame this loss on him at all.

Lats-Begin-Dandenault was a pretty effective 4th line. Who would have thunk it.

Anyways, I said it at the start of the year (oh yes, this is me tooting my own horn) but we have a very little depth on defence and an injury to the big three would be more damaging than imagined. When Hamrlik was out we saw the results and now without Komo (who despite having not played that well this season was still a valuable member of the team) players are being forced to play more minutes than they can handle.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
My lineup for the game against Ottawa:

Tanguay-Koivu-Volunteer
Volunteer-Volunteer-Volunteer
Volunteer-Volunteer-Volunteer
Volunteer-Chipchura-Volunteer

Gorges-Volunteer
Volunteer-Volunteer
Volunteer-Volunteer

Price

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Andy

Few things..

-Anyone who doubted Price's ability is just plain dumb, tonight proved it.

-Andrei Kostitsyn's liberation to his own line, pure genious, been the best forward two games in a row. Also, he had like three scoring chances coming off the RIGHT SIDE!! Also, his first slapper beat Ward, doesn;t that tell you something. Oh and one more thing, I don't think he's that bad on the penalty kill either. CARBO, he has the most potential of anyone on the team, USE HIM PROPERLY!! Play him on the right and at the point on PP, give him the ice-time, and give him his line with Koivu and Tanguay!

-For the 10000000 time, the one man forecheck does not work!Stop using it.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:49 PM
TCIH

vCash: 883
Price did everything he had to do to keep the team in it. Great performance, undeserved L.

I think this is the first time since 06/07 that I don't want to see Kovalev with the puck when the team is down and in need of a spark. I used to sit up in my seat when he'd get it, gain the zone and create a chance. Now I hold my breath hoping he'll pass it off at the first opportunity. Not a welcome change.

Tanguay and Koivu seemed elsewhere. Not to say they didn't try, but it wasn't enough to overcome bad bounces. When the puck's hopping off your stick and you can't connect your passes, you try even harder to overcome that. I didn't see the extra effort, and as a result they remained non-factors.

The fourth line (Latendresse/Begin/Dandenault) played strong in the first half but their second half was weak.

Lang & the Bros seem to be gaining chemistry, but they don't seem to be quite at the point where they can carry the offense. Maybe more time is needed, but the club needs a spark fast.

I'm impressed with the shot blocking, impressed with the effort from certain players and impressed with Price's ability to improve his play even when the team isn't. But at this point, it's not enough and losing 5 in their last 7 signals a free fall that needs to end quick, because the hockey isn't going to get any easier as the season goes on.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparepart View Post

The habs have been giving lousy efforts for pretty much every game this season, (ESPECIALLY the past 4-5). Its not just about winning, its about the effort the team is giving.

What pisses me off the most (and worries me) is that Carbo doesn't even seem to realize that their is a problem with the team, he thinks they guys are playing great. I have no clue what game he's watching (or what mind games he's playing?)

Hey, I'm one of the ones complaining, believe me, just wanted to inject a little humour into the doom and gloom.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
We're in a slump. This sort of thing happens to every team, every season. We're still 10-5-2 and have the talent to be contenders the moment some players snap out of their funk.

Can we please not go nuts by suggesting firing the coach, trading half the team, or benching our best player ?

Its a competitive league and we won't win every game, if we continue to play like this for another 2 weeks, then it might be time to think about making some changes, but now is the time to be patient.

Its better to learn how to lose in November than in April.
It sucks to be a fan right now

But you are the voice of reason

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Holy Puck
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Outhshot vs Carolina....more games like this and I'm hopping on the "well we officially suck" bandwagon, and If it doesn't exist I'll create it

Holy Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

Someone should be waived or someone should be be fired. Carbo has either lost the room and no one is listening to him or they just dont care anymore.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
JustJen

Watching L'Anti-Chambre is a bad idea after a bad game. They have some harsh words for Andrei..who I thought had a pretty solid game despite the loss....

JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

The only thing a see to get back with our energy, it's to waive Begin, put Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque has our fourth, and call-up a young kid in hamilton. This guy will bring the energy and the other will follow him...!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
It is 3 yrs in a row that opposite teams outshoot us.
This is just about completely irrelevant. Especially in Carolina where the official markers award shots to the Canes like party favors.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:

What pisses me off the most (and worries me) is that Carbo doesn't even seem to realize that their is a problem with the team, he thinks the guys are playing great, if you listen to his usual post-game comments. I have no clue what game he's watching (or what mind games he's playing?)
What is he supposed to do, throw one of his players under the bus ? Have a nervous breakdown ? Carbo is doing what every good leader does in such times, he takes the responsability for the loss and defends his team. Which is a big improvement from how he acted during his first season (Rivet, Perez, Samsonov, etc) Benching Kovalev or another vet would be a sign of panic. We are 10-5-2 and still have 60 some games left to play, this is not a time to panic, like I said before it time to be patient.

Only in Montreal does a Jack Adams runner up get fired and last year's team MVP benched after a dismal record of 10-5-2.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I wish the Bulldogs could play in place of the Habs, then they'd at least lose with pride.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post
Price did everything he had to do to keep the team in it. Great performance, undeserved L.

I think this is the first time since 06/07 that I don't want to see Kovalev with the puck when the team is down and in need of a spark. I used to sit up in my seat when he'd get it, gain the zone and create a chance. Now I hold my breath hoping he'll pass it off at the first opportunity. Not a welcome change.

Tanguay and Koivu seemed elsewhere. Not to say they didn't try, but it wasn't enough to overcome bad bounces. When the puck's hopping off your stick and you can't connect your passes, you try even harder to overcome that. I didn't see the extra effort, and as a result they remained non-factors.

The fourth line (Latendresse/Begin/Dandenault) played strong in the first half but their second half was weak.

Lang & the Bros seem to be gaining chemistry, but they don't seem to be quite at the point where they can carry the offense. Maybe more time is needed, but the club needs a spark fast.

I'm impressed with the shot blocking, impressed with the effort from certain players and impressed with Price's ability to improve his play even when the team isn't. But at this point, it's not enough and losing 5 in their last 7 signals a free fall that needs to end quick, because the hockey isn't going to get any easier as the season goes on.
All very strong points. Good to see Price have a strong game.

Kovalev remains what he is I guess. But I agree that this year there is a distinct shift for me. Last year it was edge of your seat when he touched the puck, this year I just don't see many positives coming from him being on the ice. But I think he can bounce back. As I said, expecting over a PPG from him isn't realistic based on his track record. But a solid 25g 40a season with the kind of effort he put in last season would be a welcome boost from what he's giving now.

I didn't see all that much chemistry between Lang and the Kosts but I think Carolina has to get some credit for completely taking away our time and space. There were a few nice passes strung together, and S.Kost had the nice drop pass to Lang, but for the most part all 4 lines seemed to have trouble controlling the puck and putting passes together. In one on one situations we were terrible. It seemed as the guys got frustrated there were more attempts at 1 on 1s and none of them worked. Again credit to Carolina for playing a strong defensive game.

Good point about the shot blocking. I like how the guys can stay on their feet and still clog up the shooting and passing lanes. It's been a real positive in the defensive zone this year.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Nedved

what i learned from tonights game

lats cant skate backwards
transition game doesnt existwe play shoot the puck out and hope they turn the puck over
carbo, i wouldnt even want him coaching timbits hockey
kovy looks disinterested still
price was a beast
lets stuff the ballots with an all habs starting line-up.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:00 PM
CPrice

48 shots on our damn net. Ridiculous.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Carbo knows they are not playing great... he is just unwilling to publically criticize them as it could easily backfire

Old
11-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Carbo knows they are not playing great... he is just unwilling to publically criticize them as it could easily backfire
Backfire? What, they may put in even more gutless losing performances?

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Only in Montreal does a Jack Adams runner up get fired and last year's team MVP benched after a dismal record of 10-5-2.
Last year's record after 17 games was 10-4-3. It's not like this is irrecuperable.

But it would be good to snap out of it soon.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:05 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
48 shots on our damn net. Ridiculous.
Actually this is fairly typical of Carolina games. The officials hand over shots like candy canes over there. These games are great to pad a goalie's stats.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:07 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Don't worry, the Senators are slump busters.

For the other team.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

so true...

The fans just want to see some GUTS and FIRE and PRIDE

I honestly thought every game would feature a new offensive hero everytime

Higgins one night
AKost the next
then Kovy's turn to light it up
then Tanguay sinks a pair at the next game
etc.

Old
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Don't worry, the Senators are slump busters.

For the other team.
Hey let's cancel our next game against you guys. Since, you know, no player will show up...

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote