HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

If Gretzky got back in shape and came back to the NHL...

View Poll Results: How many points could Gretz put up?
1-5 22 8.43%
6-15 23 8.81%
16-30 58 22.22%
31-40 45 17.24%
41-50 52 19.92%
51+ 61 23.37%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
  #26
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 42,521
vCash: 500
He couldn't even make his own team. He's so old. I'm not voting because their is no zero option.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:11 AM
  #27
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,177
vCash: 500
Lemieux, being 43, could come back and score 80 points, and I stand by this. First PP unit left winger, he would be deadly. If Messier can do it, Mario can easily do it.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:19 AM
  #28
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,430
vCash: 500
You stick him out on the PP with some decent players and he'd get 51+ points.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:23 AM
  #29
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
You stick him out on the PP with some decent players and he'd get 51+ points.
I agree. Play him like 5 minutes a night at ES, and then the rest of the time on the top PP unit. He'd put points up. Maybe not a massive amount, but I could see him putting up around 50 in an 82 game season.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:23 AM
  #30
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,513
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
As a fourth liner that never saw time outside of a last ditch offensive effort/PP-time, he'd probably put up 30-45 points. Yes he's old, but the ability to see players and pass doesn't disappear with age.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 01:47 AM
  #31
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Will Ferrell sucks.
Will Ferrel is a saint!

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 01:50 AM
  #32
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Every year this thread comes up and every year it gets worse for Mr.Gretzky.
Well, isn't that what you'd expect?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:44 AM
  #33
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
As a fourth liner that never saw time outside of a last ditch offensive effort/PP-time, he'd probably put up 30-45 points. Yes he's old, but the ability to see players and pass doesn't disappear with age.
That's a new one on me. I know what you're saying, but the reason I don't think old people should be allowed to drive is diminished vision and reaction time. Both of which a) aren't conducive to sporting excellence, and b) don't just happen all of a sudden when you turn 75. He's not over the hill yet, but he also wasn't blessed with the body of Gordie Howe.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:53 AM
  #34
Hav-a-lot*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
I don't think senial elders encroaching 80 years is a good premise for Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky's vision and hand-eye hasn't diminished to the point where it affects him on a fundamental level. He's 47 years old, cut the guy some slack.


Last edited by Hav-a-lot*: 11-18-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:46 PM
  #35
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav-a-lot View Post
I don't think senial elders encroaching 80 years is a good premise for Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky's vision and hand-eye hasn't diminished to the point where it affects him on a fundamental level. He's 47 years old, cut the guy some slack.
Obviously you didn't get the completely unveiled use of "nobody's getting any younger", and I already said that I don't think he is "over the hill". And of course he is still Gretzky at the fundamental level. It's the functional level that would prove to be a large obstacle.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:02 PM
  #36
Hav-a-lot*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
So you're saying the fundamentals of Gretzky's ability to see and react are strong... If they're still intact I wouldn't worry about Gretzky's ability -- or 'functionality' -- to put up a bulk sum of points.

Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:28 PM
  #37
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav-a-lot View Post
So you're saying the fundamentals of Gretzky's ability to see and react are strong... If they're still intact I wouldn't worry about Gretzky's ability -- or 'functionality' -- to put up a bulk sum of points.
No. But lol at the attempt. There is no way one's body and senses can be "as intact" in their 40s, or soon to be 50s, as they were in one's 20s. It would probably take him atleast 3 years of dedicated training to get back to a physical level he would be confident enough to jump on the ice at. By then he's 50, everyone around him is younger, faster, bigger, stronger, and sharper having played uninterrupted for years previous... Bet you he would still look decent skating around in practice though. Or against the Asian League.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:07 PM
  #38
ObnoxiousPensFan*
 
ObnoxiousPensFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Herndon,VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,523
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObnoxiousPensFan*
-156

ObnoxiousPensFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:09 PM
  #39
ronnyweed
Registered User
 
ronnyweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
No. But lol at the attempt. There is no way one's body and senses can be "as intact" in their 40s, or soon to be 50s, as they were in one's 20s. It would probably take him atleast 3 years of dedicated training to get back to a physical level he would be confident enough to jump on the ice at. By then he's 50, everyone around him is younger, faster, bigger, stronger, and sharper having played uninterrupted for years previous... Bet you he would still look decent skating around in practice though. Or against the Asian League.
your answer makes no sense, the thread is titled "if gretzky got back in shape..." so there would be no transition, he would already be in shape... the thread assumes he is back in shape again, so your whole "3 years to get back to a physical level" disregarded the whole thread premis...

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:54 PM
  #40
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
your answer makes no sense, the thread is titled "if gretzky got back in shape..." so there would be no transition, he would already be in shape... the thread assumes he is back in shape again, so your whole "3 years to get back to a physical level" disregarded the whole thread premis...
Well, I mean, there's back in shape and there's fit and strong enough to play in the NHL again. My whole point is that the premise of the thread is flawed. The guys who play/have played at his age played largely uninterrupted, and we're able to maintain a certain level of strength/fitness (Chelios, etc... even Gordie only took 2 years off at age 43, 44, and Gretzky does not have the gift of a freakish body like Gordie). But sure, Gretzky at 48 after 10 years off...

...While we're at it then, what if he was 6 foot 4 instead of 5 foot 10, how many points would he get?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
  #41
czechmate25
Registered User
 
czechmate25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hershey, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Was he not in game shape during his last NHL season? He scored 53 points then.....now after 10 years of aging even more, there are some who think he would be just as good?

Ok then.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
  #42
Hav-a-lot*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
No. But lol at the attempt. There is no way one's body and senses can be "as intact" in their 40s, or soon to be 50s, as they were in one's 20s. It would probably take him atleast 3 years of dedicated training to get back to a physical level he would be confident enough to jump on the ice at. By then he's 50, everyone around him is younger, faster, bigger, stronger, and sharper having played uninterrupted for years previous... Bet you he would still look decent skating around in practice though. Or against the Asian League.
Every effort to interpret the jumble of sentences you call a post is an attempt. How can something be more intact than something else? Either it's intact or it's not. What's intact for Gretzky might not be as great as it once was, but no one in good mental health is saying that.

Quote:
...While we're at it then, what if he was 6 foot 4 instead of 5 foot 10, how many points would he get?
Did you run into walls as a kid? "On the condition that Gretzky got back in shape, how would he perform?" It's a viable premise. Gretzky could get back in shape, the human body is capable of such a thing. The human body isn't capable of growing 4 inches in your middle ages.

Gretzky is 6 foot btw.

Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:05 PM
  #43
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
NHL is both faster and better now, he wouldn't even be the best player in the league if he got to come to 2008-2009 in his prime.'

Having said that, he could probably amass 25 points if he got to play on the pp. And if the same rule applied to everyone today as it was during his hey days (noone was allowed to hit him), he could get around 40 points.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 06:05 PM
  #44
Kamina
Amok
 
Kamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
NHL is both faster and better now, he wouldn't even be the best player in the league if he got to come to 2008-2009 in his prime.'

Having said that, he could probably amass 25 points if he got to play on the pp. And if the same rule applied to everyone today as it was during his hey days (noone was allowed to hit him), he could get around 40 points.
Fail.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
  #45
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
NHL is both faster and better now, he wouldn't even be the best player in the league if he got to come to 2008-2009 in his prime.'

Having said that, he could probably amass 25 points if he got to play on the pp. And if the same rule applied to everyone today as it was during his hey days (noone was allowed to hit him), he could get around 40 points.
This is true. Gretz would be a top player, but not the best. Top 5 I'd say, but can you imagine Malkin playing in his era with his skillset?

It would be ridiculous.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 03:20 AM
  #46
Sykie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Geneva
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
Yeah and can you imagine Kovalchuk playing in the 80s/90s? He could score a goal per period easily!

People need to stop comparing areas. Respect the past, and enjoy the new game, but stop comparing areas. That's my opinion...

Sykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:38 AM
  #47
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav-a-lot View Post
Every effort to interpret the jumble of sentences you call a post is an attempt. How can something be more intact than something else? Either it's intact or it's not. What's intact for Gretzky might not be as great as it once was, but no one in good mental health is saying that.



Did you run into walls as a kid? "On the condition that Gretzky got back in shape, how would he perform?" It's a viable premise. Gretzky could get back in shape, the human body is capable of such a thing. The human body isn't capable of growing 4 inches in your middle ages.

Gretzky is 6 foot btw.
Well, Gordie Howe (with his freakish strength, incredible ability to recover, and unsurpassed cardiovascular strength), after warming up for 6 years in the WHA, came back to the NHL and put up 0.5 PPG (after 8/9 years absence). Gretzky, even if he did "get into shape" (whatever you and others hold that standard to be), he would be lucky to produce at half that rate. And I am a huge Gretzky fan (who has supported him through all the top 3 of all time threads) saying this.

What you call "physically possible" I call so unlikely that it's a notion not worth being taken seriously.

And I've stood next to Gretzky. I am pretty sure he's not really 6 foot. MAYBE 5'11".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:58 AM
  #48
Hav-a-lot*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, Gordie Howe (with his freakish strength, incredible ability to recover, and unsurpassed cardiovascular strength), after warming up for 6 years in the WHA, came back to the NHL and put up 0.5 PPG (after 8/9 years absence). Gretzky, even if he did "get into shape" (whatever you and others hold that standard to be), he would be lucky to produce at half that rate. And I am a huge Gretzky fan (who has supported him through all the top 3 of all time threads) saying this.
THIS is what you should've said in your first post

Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:07 PM
  #49
Qubax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,990
vCash: 500
He's only like a year older then Chelios, and heaven knows Gretz has less miles on his body then Chris.

If Gretzky went on a specially designed training regime. Something that no one would have done in the days he played. I think he could do alright.

I think it would take atleast 6 months to put in place, but I think he COULD come back and be a 30-40 point PP specialist.

First of all he'd have to train at altitude. So much so that he only played games directly after training at altitude. He'd never play back to backs, he would barely travel.

But I believe if a team of the most knowledgable nutritionists and scientists on the planet had 6 months to get Wayne in shape and to use every available resource on this planet to get Wanye ready....then yah, I think he could come back and play 50 games a season at a prorated 30-40 points in a full year. Or he could play the full year and watch the PPG dip.

It's amazing what the human body can do...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:18 PM
  #50
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Gretzky was listed at 6' his whole career, but in fact, he was no more than 5'10" and 165-170 pounds.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.