HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev

Old
11-19-2008, 12:01 AM
m00ks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I hope you don't mean me, because I've never said that he's the main cause of the Habs slump. It's a team game, which means that 22 other guys need to pick up their game as well.

My point was that because Kovalev is our team's MVP from last year. When he doesn't perform up to his standards, it has a greater effect on the team.

When things don't go well for Kovalev he seems to mope around the ice. Which is what it looks like to me these last few games. He doesn't have that fire he seemed to have last year. I don't know what's different, but I've watched him play long enough to know that something is up.
No I don't mean you. It was mostly a response to a thread like this or when I hear irate callers on the radio asking to trade him. I do agree with you that he looks like he's moping a bit. "Do I really have carry this team again" kinda thing. I personally would find it extremely difficult to motivate myself while half the team are too busy skating around, feeling too sorry for themselves to make an effort and contribute.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
OMG enough!!!!!!!
You feel better now? Good...now let the adults have our conversation.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
No I don't mean you. It was mostly a response to a thread like this or when I hear irate callers on the radio asking to trade him. I do agree with you that he looks like he's moping a bit. "Do I really have carry this team again" kinda thing. I personally would find it extremely difficult to motivate myself while half the team are too busy skating around, feeling too sorry for themselves to make an effort and contribute.
Honestly this thread is BS, and if we would have won tonight, it wouldn't be here. But since it is, I'll continue this.

I probably would have problems motivating myself as well if that were the case. But he's a paid professional, and a valued leader on our team. He's got to find it inside him to step it up and try to lead by example.

As for the posters suggesting he should be traded. Our fans are passionate and famous for over reacting sometimes. So it doesn't surprise me how Kovy can go from Hero to Zero so quickly.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:11 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

how fast people forget
how fast they will jump back on the bandwagon

hockey fans huh?

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Honestly this thread is BS, and if we would have won tonight, it wouldn't be here. But since it is, I'll continue this.

I probably would have problems motivating myself as well if that were the case. But he's a paid professional, and a valued leader on our team. He's got to find it inside him to step it up and try to lead by example.

As for the posters suggesting he should be traded. Our fans are passionate and famous for over reacting sometimes. So it doesn't surprise me how Kovy can go from Hero to Zero so quickly.
Well I can see him trying to do too much right now.. that's for sure.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
You feel better now? Good...now let the adults have our conversation.
Real cheeky and unappreciated.

Firstly I agree with you that this thread is b.s. Secondly, Kovalev may not be playing well, but he will. He wasnt amazing 5 vs 5 last year and scored the majority of his points on the powerplay. Now the powerplay isnt working and he is probably frustrated. When things begin to go bad he usually turtles. Someone will call him out whether its Gainey or whoever.

I am just really in awe about how most people are freaking out. Its an 82 game season. Relax.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
What the hell are you doing bringing sense to this thread?

I totally agree, and you can see it when Kovy starts to over handle the puck.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
VictownSulley

From a Van point of view I like Ohlund for Kovalev. UFA for UFA. Kovalev-Demitra-Raymond would be nice 2nd line. Ohlund would give you a rock on D with a mean streak and the O from the back end to take the heat off Markov. Win-Win.

VictownSulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Real cheeky, firstly I agree with you that this thread is b.s. Secondly, Kovalev may not be playing well, but he will. He wasnt amazing 5 vs 5 last year and scored the majority of his points on the powerplay. Now the powerplay isnt working and he is probably frustrated. When things begin to go bad he usually turtles. Someone will call him out whether its Gainey or whoever.

I am just really in awe about how most people are freaking out. Its an 82 game season. Relax.
Sorry MR, that was me letting off steam, nothing personal.

You might not believe me, but I am a big Kovalev fan. When he was traded to us from the Rangers. I went out the very next day and bought a Habs jersey and put his name on it.

So I have no doubt that he will bounce back. He has way too much talent, and pride not too. It just worries me to see him lose the drive that he normally has when things are going well.

I've seen it in spurts this year, but not like it was last year. I just hope that whatever it is that's bothering him he's able to overcome quickly.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:22 AM
m00ks

Quote:

That's true, but then again, they are all paid professionals and should all act accordingly. As for leading by example, Saku's been doing it since the start of the season and no one seems to be responding, so if they won't follow even his lead then...

I do agree with you on some level and I think that's why Kovy was put in that line in the first place even though I don't think he's a good fit. Get the leaders and veterans to lead by example. Temporary band-aid but I just think it's more of a question of Pleks and Akost finding their game and confidence and being reunited with Kovy than having the latter carry the team once more like he did last season.

Quote:
This is also true. No confidence in his teammates leads to puck hogging and bad decisions. It's all one web that make up disappointing results.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
That's true, but then again, they are all paid professionals and should all act accordingly. As for leading by example, Saku's been doing it since the start of the season and no one seems to be responding, so if they won't follow even his lead then...

I do agree with you on some level and I think that's why Kovy was put in that line in the first place even though I don't think he's a good fit. Get the leaders and veterans to lead by example. Temporary band-aid but I just think it's more of a question of Pleks and Akost finding their game and confidence and being reunited with Kovy than having the latter carry the team once more like he did last season.
We're definitely on the same page m00ks, just different paragraphs. Absolutely, Kovy isn't the only one that should be stepping up his play. They are all paid professionals and shouldn't need anyone to help motivate their play.

I think that's why Carbo put Kovy with Koivu, to kind of give him a kick start. But I've never seen any real chemistry between the two, so I think it will only be a temporary option.

Pleks and Akost are two very good examples of two players that need to step up their games. Akost has already started to, while Pleks might need a little more time.

Bottom line is, I don't expect Kovy to put the team on his shoulders and carry us to the cup. I just want him to play more like the Kovy from last year. Since when he doesn't, it seems to have a strong effect on the rest of the team.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Kovalev is dangling too much. He has to get back to the basics. Carry the puck, pass the puck, receive the puck, finally, shoot the puck.

Kosty bros and Lang were pretty good. But really we need energy guys who care and can score.

Chipchura, Stewart, maybe D'ago... even though hes not what we need. Shanahan would be a great fit. I dont care what anyone thinks about that.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Kman777

IMO he was not bad at all against Carolina. He set up our one goal, and was looking dangerous all night.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman777 View Post
IMO he was not bad at all against Carolina. He set up our one goal, and was looking dangerous all night.
If you mean that the majority of the time it looked like he was stick handling a grenade instead of a puck....then I'll agree with you.

But besides the great play he helped set up with Koivu to get the puck to Lang in the slot. I really didn't see him looking too dangerous tonight.

Old
11-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you mean that the majority of the time it looked like he was stick handling a grenade instead of a puck....then I'll agree with you.

But besides the great play he helped set up with Koivu to get the puck to Lang in the slot. I really didn't see him looking too dangerous tonight.
he wasnt dangerous at all. Like you said, all he did was set up that goal.
The only other time I noticed him was in the last minute when he made a rush, deked 3 guys, gained the zone, lost the puck and the puck was dumped out.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:07 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
PLZ God, I dont want any gifts for Christmas, I just want Kovalev away from this team.. thank you
lol ... good one.

I'm gonna stop here before I burn down your fantasy world ... GTFO with that thread...

blame it on kovy ... but just so you remember, koivu sucked last year, all year long. He played great hockey in the playoffs but that was IT. So now, kovalev , with 13 pts in 17 games ain't playing good enough?

He is used as a consistent 5 on 5 player, and he is not , he's a pp/game breaker guy who should play every second of our pps and end up with 18 to 20 mins of TOI/game.

Our dmen and our goalies sucked , but somehow , we have to blame it on the kostisyns, or kovalev ... if they would be getting decent service 5 on 5 btw, we'd have a much better team.

mery christmas

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
What the hell are you doing bringing sense to this thread?

I totally agree, and you can see it when Kovy starts to over handle the puck.
I'm like this guy. Can't help it.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Kovy's been average this year and very weak of late, so it's not out of the realm to want Gainey to maybe not give him a huge contract offer. But to want him traded? Those calling for his trade are certifiably nuts. No way, no how do you trade your potentially most dangerous offensive player because he's slumped to start the year. Do people realize how stupid they sound when they yell "Trade Kovalev!"?

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
I'm like this guy. Can't help it.

Awesome picture.

Old
11-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
last year was just to good to be true.Well he wants to play until hes 50 I really don't know who the hell is going to give this clown a contract

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Kovy's been average this year and very weak of late, so it's not out of the realm to want Gainey to maybe not give him a huge contract offer. But to want him traded? Those calling for his trade are certifiably nuts. No way, no how do you trade your potentially most dangerous offensive player because he's slumped to start the year. Do people realize how stupid they sound when they yell "Trade Kovalev!"?
What if you could replace him with another? Kovalev for Gaborik. Obviously not straight up, but they're both offensively talented UFAs with significant downsides, and the salary difference kind of balances things out a bit.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I posted a proposal in the Kovalev thread on the forum that is receiving pretty decent reviews from Pittsburgh fans.

TO PITTSBURGH
A. Kovalev
R. O'Byrne

TO MONTREAL
P. Sykora
R. Whitney

PS. Whitney has 4-years remaining at $4M per year. Sykora is a UFA at years end.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Habruti!

Kovalev is inconsistant and dangerous out there. He refuse to shoot the puck and tries too many fancy plays, its that simple. He is killing Plekaneks performance lately (pleks does work Hard), even Andrei lately I have noticed he was working hard.

This team needs to stop relying on Kovy which is what they did last year and he felt that. I would say move him with Lang and Sergei, make him feel this is the third line and give him plenty of time to redeam himself with major minutes on the PP. This would give us the following top two lines...

Tanguay, Koivu, Latendresse
Higgins, Plekanek, A.Kostsitsyn

Six hard working guys ... Andrei as not been himself since he was injurred but he seems to be battling more lately and to give him more room is not a bad idea IMO.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:31 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I posted a proposal in the Kovalev thread on the forum that is receiving pretty decent reviews from Pittsburgh fans.

TO PITTSBURGH
A. Kovalev
R. O'Byrne

TO MONTREAL
P. Sykora
R. Whitney

PS. Whitney has 4-years remaining at $4M per year. Sykora is a UFA at years end.
I'm sure Kovalev and Therrien will get along just fina and Shero can start looking for a new job.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Kovalev is inconsistant and dangerous out there. He refuse to shoot the puck and tries too many fancy plays, its that simple. He is killing Plekaneks performance lately (pleks does work Hard), even Andrei lately I have noticed he was working hard.

This team needs to stop relying on Kovy which is what they did last year and he felt that. I would say move him with Lang and Sergei, make him feel this is the third line and give him plenty of time to redeam himself with major minutes on the PP. This would give us the following top two lines...

Tanguay, Koivu, Latendresse
Higgins, Plekanek, A.Kostsitsyn

Six hard working guys ... Andrei as not been himself since he was injurred but he seems to be battling more lately and to give him more room is not a bad idea IMO.
And a 3rd line of;

S. Kost - Lang - Sykora (if the Pittsburgh trade is done) would look nice to go with;

Markov - Komi
Hammer - Whitney
Bouillon - Gorges

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote