HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How bad is Lucic gonna get beat by BGL?

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2008, 11:15 AM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
this is no Bruins boards!!! why do we start moral victory threads?
I agree. So many of us were saying that it would be dumb for Komi to fight Lucic, given the value trade-off and the risk of injury. Now, people are saying Lucic should fight Laraque despite the value trade-off and risk of injury. It's a total 180.

I would love to see Lucic get beat up by Laraque, there's few Habs fans that wouldn't. But I doubt it'll happen Saturday. Lucic has way more value to his team, and has no real reason to oblige BGL. It will probably take some extenuating circumstances (big score differential, dangerous hit, etc.), or a bit of a build-up, if Lucic-Laraque ever happens. Anyways, I'm more concerned with seeing the Habs get back to demolishing the B's as they have in the past couple seasons.

Anybody that wants to see Lucic get beat up, just youtube the fight he had with Erskine last year. It soothes my jangled nerves when people start hyping Lucic as one of the best fighters in the league.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I agree. So many of us were saying that it would be dumb for Komi to fight Lucic, given the value trade-off and the risk of injury. Now, people are saying Lucic should fight Laraque despite the value trade-off and risk of injury. It's a total 180.
It just never ends. True that we shouldn't expect Lucic to go with Laraque. Still if some Bruins fans would have admit that Komi going with Lucic LAST YEAR was just as bad as a trade Lucic going with Laraque THIS YEAR, we wouldn't be here.

And contrary to most Bruins fans, the way I thought last year didn't change. Was dumb for one of our 2 best d-men to go after a 4th liner last year, it's dumb for Lucic to go after a 4th liner/not always dressed goon this year....

Old
11-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It just never ends. True that we shouldn't expect Lucic to go with Laraque. Still if some Bruins fans would have admit that Komi going with Lucic LAST YEAR was just as bad as a trade Lucic going with Laraque THIS YEAR, we wouldn't be here.

And contrary to most Bruins fans, the way I thought last year didn't change. Was dumb for one of our 2 best d-men to go after a 4th liner last year, it's dumb for Lucic to go after a 4th liner/not always dressed goon this year....
Do you think that Lucic going with Komisarek last year would be just as bad as Lucic going with Komisarek this year? Honest question.

I can see your point if you think Laraque has a chance of making it to Montreals top line, but as it is he can't even nail down a permanent spot because of his play.

I do agree with you in part though, for the first four to six games last year it wouldn't have made sense at all from a Habs perspective. However it's hard to argue that Komisarek taking Looch off for 5 minutes in any of the 7 games of the playoffs wouldn't have helped your cause. Hell, he had of obliged in Game 6 the series would have ended right there.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:25 AM
ottsens08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Komi won't do a rematch, and shouldn't.

There's still 6 more games after that one anyways, right?

I doubt Lucic will have much of a choice but to fight Laraque... At least I hope so.

I mean.. How can you hope to be respected as a fighter when you turn down fights?
Especially after beating a teammate of his.

Anyways, What I really hope is that Laraque won't give him a choice... Hit him to the limit of charging until he blows a fuse (which shouldn't take long at all, considering Lucy's temper...)
Lucic is a smart hockey player he won't fight Laraque if he don't have to. Laraque can't act like an idiot if he wants to and give the Bruins PPs.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:38 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
This was always one of the things I made fun of Bruins fans for. Habs fans would explain that Komi was our 2nd defenceman and that trading him off for an energy player from the B's was not a good idea. Plus there was the risk of injury. Then, a B's fan would respond with:

"Komisamuellson is a *****. He's scared of LOOCH. Komisicknov needs to grow a set and man up. USA, USA, USA!!! LOOOOOOOOCH!!!" I might be generalizing a bit, but I'm not too far off.

It drove me nuts, but at least they were the ones embarrasing themselves. Now, I'm starting to see the same thing from our side. Everybody knows that Lucic is becoming an impact player on their team. He's undoubtedly way more valuable to the B's then Laraque is to the Habs, yet since the 6-1 game I've seen so much of "Lucic's afraid. He has to man-up. Blah, blah blah."

I thought it would end with a Komi-Lucic throwdown, but it just came back stronger than ever. The only difference is, now the Habs fans' argument is the one that makes no sense.

I think that eventually, the only way to settle it will be to have every Habs HF boarder's dad fight every Bruins HF boarder's dad. That's where it's heading.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
hickles46

Begin better be dressed, he just manages to get under the skins on the bruins.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Do you think that Lucic going with Komisarek last year would be just as bad as Lucic going with Komisarek this year? Honest question.

I can see your point if you think Laraque has a chance of making it to Montreals top line, but as it is he can't even nail down a permanent spot because of his play.

I do agree with you in part though, for the first four to six games last year it wouldn't have made sense at all from a Habs perspective. However it's hard to argue that Komisarek taking Looch off for 5 minutes in any of the 7 games of the playoffs wouldn't have helped your cause. Hell, he had of obliged in Game 6 the series would have ended right there.
Was Lucic as important to your team last year than this year? Why would Komi start a fight with Lucic in the playoffs? Are there a lot of fights in playoffs anyway? Wasn't Lucic a 4th liner for most of the year last year? We're not talking about the ceiling of Lucic versus Laraque here but how important each of Looch and Komi were to their team. And in the regular season, like in the playoffs, Komi was more important even if Lucic began to step it up as the season progressed. But in NO WAY was the Lucic-Komi trade was good enough last year and I'm obviously not only taking about the 5 minutes spend in the penalty box but what can happen in a fight (see this year.....). Komi didn't fight Lucic, and we ended up winning. Let's then pretend Lucic fight Komi in the playoffs, Lucic wins decisively and Komi is lost for a week....do we win the series?

It made no sense last year to see Komi fight Lucic like it makes no sense for Lucic to go after BGL.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Megaforce

That's cuz B's fans suffer the curse of the Irish. Look it up.

BGL had better scrap with Lucic, that's why we're paying the money. No more excuses. No overanalysis. Just drop the gloves and hit the dancefloor.

And who cares about the instigator penalty, we'll just ice the puck a few times and we'll have the penalty killed off.

As always, I am, and remain, here to help.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Not quite. We were fine physically until we let Boston back into the series... at which point we took extra abuse and which wore us down for the Philly series. Komisarek became invisible against Philly... same for Markov. We were physically weakened by the inability to finish off Boston.
Really? So, how on earth does every Stanley Cup winning team go through typically 4 rounds of hell....play through injuries, battered, beaten to a pulp....to win the cup?

We were out-physicalled in both those series. The difference between round 1 and round 2 was that Price was clearly not as good against Philly. It's got nothing to do with coaching.

It was embarrassing watching some of our players get all frustrated, and give-up on plays to feel sorry for themselves because the refs weren't calling everything as they do during the regular season.

We need a Shane Doan-type player....and badly.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Was Lucic as important to your team last year than this year? Why would Komi start a fight with Lucic in the playoffs? Are there a lot of fights in playoffs anyway? Wasn't Lucic a 4th liner for most of the year last year? We're not talking about the ceiling of Lucic versus Laraque here but how important each of Looch and Komi were to their team. And in the regular season, like in the playoffs, Komi was more important even if Lucic began to step it up as the season progressed. But in NO WAY was the Lucic-Komi trade was good enough last year and I'm obviously not only taking about the 5 minutes spend in the penalty box but what can happen in a fight (see this year.....). Komi didn't fight Lucic, and we ended up winning. Let's then pretend Lucic fight Komi in the playoffs, Lucic wins decisively and Komi is lost for a week....do we win the series?

It made no sense last year to see Komi fight Lucic like it makes no sense for Lucic to go after BGL.
Fair enough, I got my honest answer which is all I asked for and you make good points.

To answer one of your questions in this post, yes, from likely the midway mark of last season on he was as valuable as he is now to this team. Of course you ask a different Bruins fan and you'll get a different answer, but in most cases you will find we thought he proved his worth somewhere around that midway mark.

To answer the other, he was on the 4th and 3rd lines for the first half of the year, then steadily made his way up into a top 6 role. He saw the occasional 4th line duty after that but that is more a result of CJ line juggling (eg. Kobasew and Wheeler both saw 4th line spot duty this year, but CJ used them more then your typical 4th line). Where many teams role 3 lines, CJ has been quite successful at rolling 4.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Pr3Va1L

What I really meant is that Lucic is gonna have to answer to someone about that fight.. That's how hockey fighting works, isn't it?

And Komisarek shouldn't fight with him, AT LEAST FOR THIS GAME, since he'll be just coming out of injury and all...

And yes, we need a Ruutuu/Doan/Thornton type player... At least someone like Kostopoulos but bigger. A fighter that can play hockey and that people aren't *afraid* to fight with.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
No. Because Komi never did a little victory dance taunting the opposition after a fight.

Due to that stunt Lucic now requires mandatory behaviour modification through fist contact therapy.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
No. Because Komi never did a little victory dance taunting the opposition after a fight.

Due to that stunt Lucic now requires mandatory behaviour modification through fist contact therapy.
Exactly my thoughts.

After a fight like that, you have to answer to somebody..

Turns out the only one on our team that can do that is BGL

Old
11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Kalcon

Komi should be the one who fights Lucic!!
Absolutely no question about it.
Komi is 6'4" and 240lbs! He should fight his own battles! If not, IMO, he'll lose alot of the respect he has gotten throughout the league. Every team will take liberties with him. He has to get back his pride and send a message to the Bruins as well as the rest of the league that he is still a force to be reckoned with.
It's a no lose situation...if he loses then he loses, nothing changes. But if he wins, it literally could turn the team around and get them back playing the style of hockey we expect..
I, for one, would be embarrassed as a Hab fan if BGL went with Lucic. And if I were Mike Komisarek, I'd be emabarrassed if someone else fought my battles for me.
It's the perfect time for Komi to show his metal.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
Komi should be the one who fights Lucic!!
Absolutely no question about it.
Komi is 6'4" and 240lbs! He should fight his own battles! If not, IMO, he'll lose alot of the respect he has gotten throughout the league. Every team will take liberties with him. He has to get back his pride and send a message to the Bruins as well as the rest of the league that he is still a force to be reckoned with.
It's a no lose situation...if he loses then he loses, nothing changes. But if he wins, it literally could turn the team around and get them back playing the style of hockey we expect..
I, for one, would be embarrassed as a Hab fan if BGL went with Lucic. And if I were Mike Komisarek, I'd be emabarrassed if someone else fought my battles for me.
It's the perfect time for Komi to show his metal.
I respect him more for standing up for himself. I also think that Guy had his gloves tied on and finally decided to let Komi deal with it. It seemed to be getting worse and worse each game.

Old
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Taylorzzz

The Komi/lucy fight was just one small incident in one of the greatest rivalries in pro sport! BGL will be given many opportunities to do what he does best against the bruins, it won't have to stem from this most recent fight.

GO HABS!

Old
11-19-2008, 01:05 PM
snakeye

What would be more awesome than Laraque beating the crap out of Lucic is Lucic turtling out of a fight. Oh man imagine the thread that'd make on the general board.

Old
11-19-2008, 01:06 PM
8BostonRocker24

Boston fan here, but also a rather large Fight-Fan.

BGL is a great fight, (IMO) still the best in The NHL, but he doesn't break faces, or KO people. He is the smartest, and best fighter in The NHL for 2 reasons:
1.) He can tie anyone up, and "lock" them out. He does this time and time again. He doesn't have an 'open' fighting stance like Orr. He is very smart and does not let the other guy throw one punch.

2.) When BLG gets in close, he has the only arm lose and jack-hammers the other guy in the head. Easy win.

He doesn't have punching power like Chara or Orr. (Both fight very open). BGL wins 9 out of 10 fights because of his stance, and strength to lock the other guy out. That being said, if Lucic can get the first shoot in and prevent BGL from locking him down, BGL is going to lose. As a Bruin fan, I have no problem with Lucic fighting him, it's an 82 game season; Boston plays Montreal 8 times. Lucic has to answer the bell at least once. I also expect BGL to win a fight between these two, he's just too good at what he does.

Thornton vs. BGL is much more interesting. Thornton is the fighter that I can think of that has matched up well vs. BGL. BGL has been unable to lock him out and jack-hammer him, this dates back multiply fights too.

Old
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

In answer to the question posed: Quite possibly not nearly as bad as many here might like to think.

BGL is a better fighter experientially, but he's quite a bit older now and Lucic is probably a physically stronger specimen.

Should be a good fight.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there.
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
Old
11-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Kalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
I respect him more for standing up for himself. I also think that Guy had his gloves tied on and finally decided to let Komi deal with it. It seemed to be getting worse and worse each game.
I'd sooner see Komi fight Lucic and lose than BGL fight Lucic and win.
As another poster eluded to, BGL don't fight crazy, he fights like a gentleman. Lucic will not be bothered by that. He's too tough. Also, Lucic will not be expected to win so, in my estimation, it will give the Bruins a bigger lift if he does drops them with BGL regardless of the outcome. And god forbid if Lucic gets lucky and wins (which could very likely happen), then it will be an even bigger boost to the Bruins and their fans.
It would mean a hell of a lot more if Komi exacted his own revenge on Lucic.
Can you imagine the noise in the Bell Centre if Komi takes down Lucic?
It's things like this that change the tide of a season, let alone a single game!

Old
11-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Newhabfan

If you had to choose between a) a 3-1 victory over the Bruins and b) a 1-3 loss coupled with BGL smashing Lucic's face, what would you choose ?

For all those that choose b), I'm not going to argue with you anymore. No point to that.

Old
11-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
What would be more awesome than Laraque beating the crap out of Lucic is Lucic turtling out of a fight. Oh man imagine the thread that'd make on the general board.

Yeah indeed, it WOULD look great.

Now just imagine if it's Laraque that gets destroyed by Lucic ?! What would happen ?! Lucic is a very underrated fighter and the win could go on either way IMO. I'm pretty sure some crazy people might wants to pay to watch this fight on HBO...

Old
11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
TCIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
I'd sooner see Komi fight Lucic and lose than BGL fight Lucic and win.
As another poster eluded to, BGL don't fight crazy, he fights like a gentleman. Lucic will not be bothered by that. He's too tough. Also, Lucic will not be expected to win so, in my estimation, it will give the Bruins a bigger lift if he does drops them with BGL regardless of the outcome. And god forbid if Lucic gets lucky and wins (which could very likely happen), then it will be an even bigger boost to the Bruins and their fans.
It would mean a hell of a lot more if Komi exacted his own revenge on Lucic.
Can you imagine the noise in the Bell Centre if Komi takes down Lucic?
It's things like this that change the tide of a season, let alone a single game!
To answer the bolded, sure. I could also imagine the lack of noise if (when) Komisarek lost against Lucic on home ice.

There's too much of a discrepancy in fighting talent between the two. Talk all you want about which one is stronger or tougher in a hockey setting, but when the gloves are off my money's on Lucic 9 times out of 10, and the last thing the team would need is to take the crowd out of the game. Especially considering how Montreal's low confidence is contrasted by the fact that the Bruins are soaring right now.

As for the original question, I don't think Lucic would do too bad against Laraque, but if they do drop them, it should get the crowd going no matter what the outcome (if Lucic gets the decision, I doubt it would be lopsided enough to sap the energy from the crowd/team). The only issue is getting Lucic to accept the challenge, something I suspect may not happen.

Old
11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
If you had to choose between a) a 3-1 victory over the Bruins and b) a 1-3 loss coupled with BGL smashing Lucic's face, what would you choose ?

For all those that choose b), I'm not going to argue with you anymore. No point to that.
Eh, I'd take B).

Old
11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
That's cuz B's fans suffer the curse of the Irish. Look it up.

BGL had better scrap with Lucic, that's why we're paying the money. No more excuses. No overanalysis. Just drop the gloves and hit the dancefloor.

And who cares about the instigator penalty, we'll just ice the puck a few times and we'll have the penalty killed off.

As always, I am, and remain, here to help.
You should've just said 'look up'. Then you could've wondered how many of us actually looked up.

Closed Thread