HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drawing a Line

Old
11-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
We need a number one, a Norris winner still in his prime or someone who is emerging as one. I simply have no faith in Markov.

And in addition, we need to add a selke winning calibre forward to our top three lines.
I think we'd all like to see Gainey pull that off. But unfortunately the chances in him succeeding are going to be pretty slim.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
My feeling is that they have good players and a good team to compete for the Cup but something is funky with them right now. I don't know what it is or what it will take to fix it, but certainly people within the team need to look at themselves in the mirror and man up. No one will ever doubt the talent of the team because it's evident but the work ethic and desire seems to be lacking. It's up to the players and coaching staff to get themselves back together or I believe Gainey will make a change.

Do I believe they can win a Cup playing the way they are right now? No.

Do I believe they have the personnel capable of winning a cup right now? Yes.

I don't know where that puts me but I just want them to start earning their ****ing paychecks.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:37 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Good team, but as they are now, not a Stanley Cup Winner type team.

I'm on the right.
I'm on the left , to cancel out your silly vote

your argument is rationnal , mine is emotionnal.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Cenzo_

left

Cenzo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
1) Take a paper sheet
2) Put it in front of you
3) Take a pencil in your right hand
4) Take a ruler in your left hand
5) Press the ruler on the sheet
6) Press the pencil's edge over the top-left corner of the ruler
7) Drag the pencil's edge towards the right until you reach the top-right corner
8) Take away the pencil and ruler
9) Admire your newly drawn line

Alternative cases:

3a) Pencil not sharp; sharpen pencil
4a) Ruler not clean; clean ruler.
4aa) Ruler not available, take any straight and flat object.
And if you're left handed?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
HotPie

I think what's frustrating is that you look at Boston's start and it's as if they've carried all the momentum from last season on top of adding improvements and having a lot of their younger players improve.

I think this is exactly what we expected from the Habs, to carry the momentum we had going last season on top of our younger players continuing to improve as well as adding guys like Tanguay and Lang.

That's not what we're seeing though. On paper we've improved but it seems as a team we've regressed. I know this start is very similar to last seasons, but I think with the team we have now, we expected that we'd be even better, and right now it's not happening.

I still have faith that this team can put it together, but I sure as hell hope it happens sooner than later...

I'm still convinced that replacing some of our useless players with hungry rookies would change the dynamic of this team, much like it did last year.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
We need a number one, a Norris winner still in his prime or someone who is emerging as one. I simply have no faith in Markov.

And in addition, we need to add a selke winning calibre forward to our top three lines.
No faith in Markov? The only thing I question a little at times maybe is his heart, as I do with all European born players, but I feel he has the skill, They need to set him up to shoot more on the PP. The working down low with the skilled players was awesome last year but seems to be snake bitten, I think we should go back to more point shots with traffic. Also Chipchura is amazing defensively, I cannot agree with the coaching staff in not dressing this guy.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Sitting on the left.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
No faith in Markov? The only thing I question a little at times maybe is his heart, as I do with all European born players, but I feel he has the skill, They need to set him up to shoot more on the PP. The working down low with the skilled players was awesome last year but seems to be snake bitten, I think we should go back to more point shots with traffic. Also Chipchura is amazing defensively, I cannot agree with the coaching staff in not dressing this guy.
So that he can miss the net more often?

He needs to return to his passing role and someone else needs to be the trigger man.... but who?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Eband00

Left left left left. Were are just in a slump right now, a bit of confidence and hard work.. and we can get there!

Eband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

lol? Left

Most of the righties won't put it here. And it won't stop them to be in the first row on St-Cath

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Right. But I think we can win it if a few minor tweaks are made at the trade deadline.

I think we're close though. I do think we'll be a contender for the cup and likely be favorites come the playoffs. Just not RIGHT NOW.
My thoughts exactly.

No cup this year without a single change.

Maybe add a D and change the mentality of some of the current players, and we might be onto something

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:29 PM
totalrecall

Left.. so we hit a bump on the road.. Who said the road to the Stanley Cup is going to be easy

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
speed11

bit premature, but if this team stays mainly as is, i don't see a Cup, i just don't. I'm sorry, but this is not a playoff built team, this team hasn't passed the 2nd round since when...93? 15 years and we still can't get it right, and now, suddenly, we have the winning formula...? until we get a Holmstrom type, and a top 4D guy, i just don't see it...most of you guys are thinking with your heart rather than your head...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Devulous

I'm on the right, any team lead by Kovalev is bound to fail.

Devulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Left

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:41 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
I'm on the left , to cancel out your silly vote

your argument is rationnal , mine is emotionnal.
Spell check is your friend...

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Erika

Right side.

Good team ? Sure (At least on paper).

Championship team ? Not at all. Not with Carbo and Kovalev leading this team. The lack of a number 3 or 4 defencemen and a true gritty forward with skills ala Erik Cole, Brendan Morrow, Dustin Brown, Milan Lucic are also deadly. Wannabes like Chris Higgins doesn't qualify in this category just in case someone wants to argue. I have my doubts on Carey Price too... Too much missing pieces at this moment IMO.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Time to draw the line, folks.

If you believe that this incarnation of the Montreal Canadiens, with Gainey, Carbo, staff and the majority of the players can win the Stanley Cup this year, move to the left.

If you believe that this incarnation of the Montreal Canadiens, with Gainey, Carbo, staff and the majority of the players cannot win a Cup without a major coaching change, GM change, or trading major superstars, or we just can't win the Cup this year period, move to the right.

I want a thread to reference in April when people are trying to claim they believed in this team from the very start.

And I'm standing to the left.
I believe in this team with a skilled d-man added HOWEVER I'm not sold thatr Carbo can handle a skill team. He reminds me of a junior coach that I know that could always get overachieving returns from a team of grinders but his skilled teams always underachieved because he could not deal with players with ego's and personality. An NHL coach earns his $$$ by getting all players to buy into the team concept and pull in the same direction, right now Carbo is not pushing hard enough and I'm not convinced he knows which buttons to push.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Right. But I think we can win it if a few minor tweaks are made at the trade deadline.

I think we're close though. I do think we'll be a contender for the cup and likely be favorites come the playoffs. Just not RIGHT NOW.
I think this sums up my position: sitting barely on the right. I don't think the core problem is the D or goaltending, I think it's lack of physical play up front that will sink us come playoffs, if it's not addressed during the season.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:03 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I think this sums up my position: sitting barely on the right. I don't think the core problem is the D or goaltending, I think it's lack of physical play up front that will sink us come playoffs, if it's not addressed during the season.
Problem is this was the same problem as last year, and it wasn't addressed.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
AH

Quote:
The question is very fair.

Feeling the team is very good but can't win a Cup means you are on the right. You don't believe the team can win the cup this year.
The question is not really fair since it makes it sound like being on the right is somehow a bad thing. It's not.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:40 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Left fo sho'

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:44 PM
DaHabMan

on the right but we have the players in place to possibly win the cup but i dont think the players are playing in the right system.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:55 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
If you believe that this incarnation of the Montreal Canadiens, with Gainey, Carbo, staff and the majority of the players cannot win a Cup without a major coaching change, GM change, or trading major superstars, or we just can't win the Cup this year period, move to the right.
What if you believe they won't win without a major attitude change? You didn't list that. What if you believe that the team the Montreal Canadians are now would win the Cup but if and only if they stopped being Montreal celebrities and instead decided to play some hockey?
Does that mean you're on the right or on the left?

I'm not trying to be smart. I really want to know where your line is, LR. No incarnation of any team in any sport is ever going to win any championship without working hard. And the Habs are not doing that right now. How do I know they're going to start working hard?

I thought they would after Toronto, and that Sens game fooled me into thinking they were going to step up, but then Boston, Philadelphia, St-Louis and Carolina proved that they just won't learn.

So, right or left? I will have no problem eating crow in June if you think I should be standing on the right in November.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote