HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Disrespect from Local Media

Old
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
MMessier11

vCash: 500
More Disrespect from Local Media

It still amazes me how marginalized the Rangers are in the local media. No backpages, one article (at most) a day, etc.

Well check out today's article in the Daily News. Anybody else see a picture of Paul Mara with the caption reading "Markus Naslund?"

Doesn't anybody check this stuff??

MMessier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Hockey is always a sidenote in NY, unless we're in the Cup finals.

And thats okay, keep the masses away, thats what I say

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Hockey is a distant fourth in this market. Its not an issue of disrespect, it's an issue of sales.

And I think the caption being wrong is more about the News being a lousy paper.

11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
MMessier11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Hockey is a distant fourth in this market. Its not an issue of disrespect, it's an issue of sales.

I have to be honest, I think that the papers and media DETERMINE what's important to the masses, not vice versa. If they showed some more respect to hockey, people would think it was more relevant. I'm not saying it would overtake the big 3, but the irrelevant state that it's in is a joke.

Old
11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMessier11 View Post
I have to be honest, I think that the papers and media DETERMINE what's important to the masses, not vice versa. If they showed some more respect to hockey, people would think it was more relevant. I'm not saying it would overtake the big 3, but the irrelevant state that it's in is a joke.
No way. The goal is to sell more papers, to more people, more often. You do that by appealing to the greatest number of people. And there are way more baseball, football (especially with the Giants and Jets having good seasons) and basketball fans then there are hockey fans.

And the irrelevant state its in is not the papers/media's fault. It's the commissioner's. He put his product on an irrelevant and pretty much unknown network.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
MMessier11

Quote:
No way. The goal is to sell more papers, to more people, more often. You do that by appealing to the greatest number of people. And there are way more baseball, football (especially with the Giants and Jets having good seasons) and basketball fans then there are hockey fans.

And the irrelevant state its in is not the papers/media's fault. It's the commissioner's. He put his product on an irrelevant and pretty much unknown network.
It's definitely a mix of both. You can still sell papers with a Giants back page, but a top line on the back about the Rangers beating the Devils.

It's obviously on the commish for removing the NHL from ESPN, but that's my point. If ESPN treated the NHL like they did when it was on the network, more people would care.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It's definitely a mix of both. You can still sell papers with a Giants back page, but a top line on the back about the Rangers beating the Devils.

It's obviously on the commish for removing the NHL from ESPN, but that's my point. If ESPN treated the NHL like they did when it was on the network, more people would care.
Why should ESPN? On the average baseball, football, baskestball, golf, NASCAR, college football, and college basketball all get better ratings than the NHL. Heck, poker and women's softball do.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:08 PM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:
Why should ESPN? On the average baseball, football, baskestball, golf, NASCAR, college football, and college basketball all get better ratings than the NHL. Heck, poker and women's softball do.
Dev's fan here...in peace....just like to comment on this issue, as I am a bit surprised, with you guys being in first place and having a really good team, that the papers arent covering hockey much at all, I buy the Daily news every morning and somewhere in the sports section there will be a small article on last nights game, and not much more. And as far as ESPN....I remember turning on ESPN last year during the NHL playoffs....and they had rodeo, and a freeking spelling B on. How the heck is that more of a popular choice than hockey??????????????????

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hargsy View Post
Dev's fan here...in peace....just like to comment on this issue, as I am a bit surprised, with you guys being in first place and having a really good team, that the papers arent covering hockey much at all,
It's November. Its early in the hockey season. In the heart of football season. And there's hot stove baseball.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

This is America, positive news doesn't sell.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
MMessier11

Quote:
But there's a reason for that...lack of coverage and respect. That never used to be the case. It was the Big 4. Now the NHL ranks in the low teens. I'm not saying the NHL isn't at fault, because they CLEARLY are. But there is a definite effect on the way people view it based on media coverage. If the media says its irrelevant...it's irrelevant. If they cover it, it spikes interest.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
But there's a reason for that...lack of coverage and respect. That never used to be the case. It was the Big 4. Now the NHL ranks in the low teens. I'm not saying the NHL isn't at fault, because they CLEARLY are. But there is a definite effect on the way people view it based on media coverage. If the media says its irrelevant...it's irrelevant. If they cover it, it spikes interest.
Its the NHL marketing itself. And they suffer because it's not regarded to be a good TV sport.

Look I just don't think that more people are going to watch more hockey just because the media writes about it or ESPN spends more time on SportsCenter or ESPNews covering it. Also, the NHL left ESPN, why should they spend time giving coverage to competitor's programming?

The media is going to give the fans what they want, what what they feel the fans should want.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
AGMongoose

Quote:
I agree with this. It is a combination of both (NHL and the media) but I think the media plays such an important part in today's world that they are able to control to some extent what we deem important and what we deep irrelevant.

AGMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Think how good baseball and football's publicity teams must be to combat the raging scandals and crimes committed by the players.

But then again they have a huge advantage for being beloved sports here.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGMongoose View Post
I agree with this. It is a combination of both (NHL and the media) but I think the media plays such an important part in today's world that they are able to control to some extent what we deem important and what we deep irrelevant.
I hardly think the media is going to make hockey important to people. ESPN could because they could make it accessible and they were great at marketing their own programming (and in the process, the league).

The media is not going to cover something that few people care about.

Its the same way the News, Times and Post really don't cover NASCAR people in the NYC region, by and large, don't care about it.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Think how good baseball and football's publicity teams must be to combat the raging scandals and crimes committed by the players.
I don't think it has to do with publicity. I think that people don't really care about those scandals.

The referee bribe scandal should have destroyed the NBA. People don't care.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
flankerbill13

Quote:

I think you're wrong about that. While hockey is not near the top, I think it has been gaining on basketball as a more popular sport. Definitely not a "Distant Fourth". And if the trend continues where the Rangers are getting better and the Yankees and Mets keep failing, it might even gain on baseball. Long shot, but a possibility.

This city wants winners, that's what will make hockey successful.

flankerbill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:24 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hargsy View Post
Dev's fan here...in peace....just like to comment on this issue, as I am a bit surprised, with you guys being in first place and having a really good team, that the papers arent covering hockey much at all, I buy the Daily news every morning and somewhere in the sports section there will be a small article on last nights game, and not much more. And as far as ESPN....I remember turning on ESPN last year during the NHL playoffs....and they had rodeo, and a freeking spelling B on. How the heck is that more of a popular choice than hockey??????????????????
A network has to have the rights to broadcast a sporting event, and ESPN parted ways with the NHL years ago because the ratings were in the toilet.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flankerbill13 View Post
I think you're wrong about that. While hockey is not near the top, I think it has been gaining on basketball as a more popular sport. Definitely not a "Distant Fourth". And if the trend continues where the Rangers are getting better and the Yankees and Mets keep failing, it might even gain on baseball. Long shot, but a possibility.

I think if a sport is dependant on a team winning to be relevant in a market, it shows what a tenuous position it has in that market.

The NFL is going to relevant whether the Giants and Jets are good or not. Same with MLB. And while the Knicks have been down of late, I would still think they either have better ratings than the Rangers.

Old
11-19-2008, 12:27 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankerbill13 View Post

Baseball and football are in no danger -- I repeat, NONE -- of losing ground to hockey.

Basketball looked like it was in trouble for awhile in NY, but with Isiah out of the picture, the Knicks are going to become more relevant again. And as long as the NBA's marketing efforts continue to blow the NHL's out of the water, there's not going to be any movement there, either.

I don't get why some hockey fans have this seeming thirst for acceptance. It's not a popular sport. So what? As long as it has diehards like us, the NHL won't be going anywhere.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Shake and Bake

Wow the saddest part about that is the article is all about Naslund...haha, they cant even get the picture right? jeez...come on...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:

Def. agree with that, but wasn't it already declining in terms of popularity even when it was still on espn? Well, the sport would certainly be in better shape if it were on espn, but do you think it would still be a distant fourth?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I like it better since it is less popular. Shakespeare is less popular than JK Rowling. Bach is less popular than The Jonas Brothers.

PS how about Betts getting the second "A" - love that.
Ok back to work

Old
11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
ogie

the whole 'goal is to sell more papers' argument is total BS. People are going to buy the post/DN no matter what. It is daily ritual for a lot of people. Stop for a coffee and the paper. Most people don't even look at the cover when they buy. They just grab it and go. So what if there is a rangers cover here and there during a time of the year when the Yankees aint playing.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The ratings for the NHL in the US were at an all time high in June of 1994. The league, Bettman, pretty much threw that all away. Defensive hockey taking over didnt help the cause.

Whatever, NHL hockey has always been this cool kinda club I share with friends and people I meet. Every girlfriend i've had I've turned onto hockey and theyve become fans. But not everyone is into it, and i'm fine with that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote