HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Objective Comments on Price

Old
11-18-2008, 03:56 PM
rheroux

vCash: 500
I think Carbonneau has to start Price for 5+ games straight so the kid can get into a groove. I know that they may be showcasing Halak for trade bait but I'll take a consistent Price (which translates into wins for the Habs) over showcasing Halak.

To get consistent you need to play more than two or three games straight. I would have started him against the Flyers to give the kid a chance to redeem himself after the Boston debacle.

Just my .02.

rheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheroux View Post
I think Carbonneau has to start Price for 5+ games straight so the kid can get into a groove. I know that they may be showcasing Halak for trade bait but I'll take a consistent Price (which translates into wins for the Habs) over showcasing Halak.

To get consistent you need to play more than two or three games straight. I would have started him against the Flyers to give the kid a chance to redeem himself after the Boston debacle.

Just my .02.
lol @ saying Halak being showcased

Probably every Price's fanboys wet dream but nah, Halak is just young, reliable and Damn good

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:04 PM
rheroux

Heh, I'm not a Price fan boy.

I love both goalies, but neither have been anything you could call consistent. Halak was pretty mediocre against the Bluejackets and the Ducks IIRC.

rheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 04:10 PM
TheCH*

I find when Price is having a good game and he lets in a goal that you could say was unstoppable, he continues on playing well.

But, in a game where he lets in a goal that you would say he'd like to have back, he really lets it effect him and his play suffers for it. He is supposed to be mentally tough, i haven't seen that at all though. He is young so its not like i am giving up on him or anything, he is just open to criticism just as much as anybody else on the team.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
smon

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Price is a very young player in the highest pressure role as a goaltender. Of course, last playoff all the hype was dreaming of Dryden, Roy, etc...which is unfair to Price and the team. He's inconsistent, but he's shown he can be very good - meaning he's not an elite goaltender right now who will steal games night in and night out, aka Luongo, but he could be in the future.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
LastRide

When I was watching the islanders and Habs. Stan Fishler called Price a stiff.

Last edited by LastRide: 11-18-2008 at 06:20 PM.
LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

When Price makes an awesome save, I get the feeling that he's not going to be scored on for the rest of the game.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:11 PM
JrHockeyFan

The kid is doing more than just fine. What exactly is the point of this thread?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Don't know. Some seem to think the team is playing shaky because of lack of confidence in Price. Clearly tonight proved that the goalie isn't the problem.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:27 PM
JrHockeyFan

This year I have more confidence in the goaltending than last year.

This year the power play has not been anywhere near as good for a lot of reasons. Talk about that.

Several players have not been scoring like they used to. talk about that.

What would we change in net to make things better? Frankly i see no problem there at all.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I knew this post would come today. I guess you haven't been watching all season. Price is doing fine, but he's been far from consistent, and that's an objective comment on Price..... y'know, what with the title of the thread and all.

I don't think too many people here are bashing Carey Price

It's too bad we can't make a thread about a player and put some objective comments in without some sour comments about "hey he ain't the problem, why aren't you guys complaining about Kovy, Plek, PP, etc."

Why don't YOU go make those threads.... oh wait.... they're already there. This thread is an objective look at the goaltending of our #1 netminder. So now you know. That should have been obvious from the thread title.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:47 PM
CanadienErrant*

Right now, he is no better than DiPietro or Fleury during their first steps in the NHL. He looks brilliant or totally garbage depending of the games. Consistency is the word. A season in the AHL last year would had been good for him. So, let's live with his ups and downs for the time being.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Right now, he is no better than DiPietro or Fleury during their first steps in the NHL. He looks brilliant or totally garbage depending of the games. Consistency is the word. A season in the AHL last year would had been good for him. So, let's live with his ups and downs for the time being.
Disagree. Fleury and Dipietro were both outmatched, not NHL caliber in their first couple of stints in the league.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:10 PM
FrankMTL

Carey Price is a great talent..most people will agree with that. His major issue is consistency and concentration...some game he's spot on..and in others it looks like he's playing a game of solitaire in his head.

This consistency will come with time. We know how well he can play because we've seen it so often...Now its just a matter of getting it out of him on a more consistent basis. He is not the problem this year for sure, but he could have played better in some games and he'd be the first one to admit it.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
How often does a rookie goaltender waltz into the NHL and stand on his head every night?

Price is young, which means that he's not going to be amazing every single time he takes the ice. I wish that the fans and media who're piling all this pressure on him would step back and let the kid develop already.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Cumulative NHL career stats up to and including their 21 year old year:

DiPietro GP-30 W-5 L-20 T-3 0.885sv% Min-1668 shots per game-28.3

Fleury GP-72 W-17 L-41 T/OTL/SOL-8 0.897sv% Min-3963 shots per game-32.7

Price GP-54 W-32 L-16 OTL/SOL-4 0.920sv% Min-3186 shots per game-31.9

Obviously statistics don't tell the whole story, but they do tell something.

Stats aside, despite his inconsistencies, I think most people would agree that Price is a good NHL goalie right now. When they were 21, I think most people would have agreed that DiPietro and Fleury held a lot of potential, but weren't necessarily good NHL goalies yet (though were obviously very good for their ages). Price still has to grow into his potential as DiPietro and Fleury did and still do (assuming Price does continue to realize his potential), but he's already paying dividends right now--I don't think you could say the same for DiPietro and Fleury at 21, despite flashes of brilliance (though I don't really remember many flashes from DiPietro, but I'm not an Islanders fan).

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote