HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Next Draft

Old
11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
The Next Draft

I want the Habs to draft a guy with some grit, à la Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Brendan Morrow, and heck add Milan Lucic to the ****ing list.

I want us to develop a physical threat and who's name is not Tom Kostopoulos.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
le_sean

Like Ryan McDonagh, Max Pacioretty, Andrew Conboy, Joe Stejskal, Steve Quailer?

They are trying to do that now and I don't think they will stop.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Price4Prez

LoL, every team wishes they can draft someone like those above mentioned players. Its not as easy as you make it out to be. I do think Timmins has done an excellent job at drafting great talent. When most of our young players pan out and hit their prime, you will be just as happy as having a Lucic.

P.S: At leats Kostopolous doesnt back down from a fight or choose his opponents***cough cough****

Price4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Prez View Post
LoL, every team wishes they can draft someone like those above mentioned players. Its not as easy as you make it out to be. I do think Timmins has done an excellent job at drafting great talent. When most of our young players pan out and hit their prime, you will be just as happy as having a Lucic.

P.S: At leats Kostopolous doesnt back down from a fight or choose his opponents***cough cough****
I'm not dissing Kostopoulous, I'm just pointing out the fact that it's ridiculous that your most gritty player is on the 4th line, shows how weak your team can be and lack aggresiveness.

Old
11-18-2008, 11:17 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I'm not dissing Kostopoulous, I'm just pointing out the fact that it's ridiculous that your most gritty player is on the 4th line, shows how weak your team can be and lack aggresiveness.
Kostopoulos is actually on our 2nd line now

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Habs8517

draft some guys with character that can be dirty when we need to stir things up

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I'm very very high on Jacob Josefson.. and IMO he could fill our need at center.

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Zach Kassian is that type of guy.....should and will be top 10 though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:23 AM
SpreeEndaz

We have a hole on defense; let's get that Hadman guy.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Like Ryan McDonagh, Max Pacioretty, Andrew Conboy, Joe Stejskal, Steve Quailer?

They are trying to do that now and I don't think they will stop.
I'd take Quailer off that list, add Greg Stewart, he isn't the biggest guy but the kid seems to have no fear in dropping the gloves with anyone, plays physical as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Zach Kassian is that type of guy.....should and will be top 10 though.
Kassian is my guy, I don't see him as a top 10 pick but it's still really early.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
We have a hole on defense; let's get that Hadman guy.
Slowly but surely....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:15 AM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
They should tank and draft Tavares because this season is over. Gainey

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Pascal

A Getzlaf clone would be the ideal pick for this team.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'd take Quailer off that list, add Greg Stewart, he isn't the biggest guy but the kid seems to have no fear in dropping the gloves with anyone, plays physical as well.

Kassian is my guy, I don't see him as a top 10 pick but it's still really early.
I really like Stewart, but he's never going to make it in the NHL until we get rid of the 7M 4th line... hopefully at the end of this season.

On a sidenote, I want the Habs just to keep the main guys that will play top6 minutes (Tanguay, Koivu, Kovy, Higgins, Plekanec --- realistically perhaps impossible to keep all 5), and fill up the vacant spots on the 3rd-4th line with kids from Hamilton. Never hurts to give youth a chance.

Old
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM
BulldogFever

Conboy's a beast! And Stesjkal will take your head off. Old-time hockey like Eddie Shore!

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I want the Habs to draft a guy with some grit, à la Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Brendan Morrow, and heck add Milan Lucic to the ****ing list.

I want us to develop a physical threat and who's name is not Tom Kostopoulos.
The Habs' first pick this year will be in the 20-30 range. Whoever they get with that pick will most probably not be ready to make an impact with the team before the 2012-13 season, at the earliest. Who knows what kind of team we will have by then.

Who do you suggest from this draft? Outrage without any suggestions seems pointless.

Quote:
It's actually quite common, not ridiculous at all. Fourth line players are generally among the grittiest on their teams, they have to be to make up for their lack of skill.

Quote:
I really like Stewart, but he's never going to make it in the NHL until we get rid of the 7M 4th line... hopefully at the end of this season.
I suspect it's your imagination running wild based on that one game of Stewart's last year, that makes you believe he'd be better than Begin, Lapierre or Kostopoulos right now. But I do hope Stewart makes the team one day.

Quote:
On a sidenote, I want the Habs just to keep the main guys that will play top6 minutes (Tanguay, Koivu, Kovy, Higgins, Plekanec --- realistically perhaps impossible to keep all 5), and fill up the vacant spots on the 3rd-4th line with kids from Hamilton. Never hurts to give youth a chance.
Really, you want to fill half the team with AHL'ers? I'm sure the Kings and the Coyotes would be flattered that you'd prefer them to the Habs. Seriously, rookies have to be sheltered from top NHL'ers - fill two lines with rookies, and you won't be able to protect them any more, they'd get destroyed. I'd say there's room for two forwards and one defenceman on next year's team, maximum.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 06:12 AM
NLHabsFan

From Gainey's and Timmins recent draft picks; Kristo, McDonagh, and Fischer; the player they will take at the next NHL Draft will be Zach Budish. They seem to like drafting these top players out of Minnesota and that is where he is from like the others mentioned above. I think he would be a good pick for the Canadiens as he is a Power Forward listed at 6'2.5" tall and 229lbs and is a Center (looks to be what the Habs need in their system!). He did just recently under go surgery on his ACL so his stock should drop and the Habs will more than likely pick him up. Could end up being a steal. Go Habs!

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
A Getzlaf clone would be the ideal pick for this team.
Too bad we passed on him in the 2003 Entry Draft.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Chris Nilan

Quote:

I want us to develop a physical threat and who's (sic=it's "whose" )name is not Tom Kostopoulos.
It was grit that enabled the Flyers to score the fluke goals in the playoffs last spring--one off a guy's sleeve only allowed b/c he missed it with his hand; one off the side of the net; one off a terrible bounce from the back boards--and it was the lack of grit that allowed the Cdns to come back every time and have a shot at winning?

It was a complete lack of character that allowed AK46 to overcome his illness, new language, new culture and move thousands of miles over here when all those gritty Ontario boys rack up $400/month phone bills when they move to other parts of the 401?

French Canadiens completely lack grit except enough to play the most dangerous and demanding position in the 4 major leagues? Of course, what was I thinking. Oh and it's just a language issue, kinda like Ireland and England. Where were you guys to solve "The Troubles" with that predictable insight? "Hey IRA, it's just a language issue." I mean, it's not even a language issue. It's just an accent issue.

Yep. Right. You fixed it. I'll tell you where Bob sits when he comes to Hamilton--usually under the stairs in 126. You can go talk to him. I'm sure he lacks the grit needed to come up with an idea on his own.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
It was grit that enabled the Flyers to score the fluke goals in the playoffs last spring--one off a guy's sleeve only allowed b/c he missed it with his hand; one off the side of the net; one off a terrible bounce from the back boards--and it was the lack of grit that allowed the Cdns to come back every time and have a shot at winning?

It was a complete lack of character that allowed AK46 to overcome his illness, new language, new culture and move thousands of miles over here when all those gritty Ontario boys rack up $400/month phone bills when they move to other parts of the 401?

French Canadiens completely lack grit except enough to play the most dangerous and demanding position in the 4 major leagues? Of course, what was I thinking. Oh and it's just a language issue, kinda like Ireland and England. Where were you guys to solve "The Troubles" with that predictable insight? "Hey IRA, it's just a language issue." I mean, it's not even a language issue. It's just an accent issue.

Yep. Right. You fixed it. I'll tell you where Bob sits when he comes to Hamilton--usually under the stairs in 126. You can go talk to him. I'm sure he lacks the grit needed to come up with an idea on his own.
Nice Insight!

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:13 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Timmins should have picked Danick Paquette, he can score goals, his opponents are afraid of him and he's a good fighter. But instead, it was Kristo...

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:14 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Timmins should have picked Danick Paquette, he can score goals, his opponents are afraid of him and he's a good fighter. But instead, it was Kristo...
From what I'm told way before the last draft, Timmins was very high on Kristo, and it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing at the draft table, agreed?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:14 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
He did pick him, he was just took too long to get to the podium, so we picked a guy who can skate instead.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:16 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I wasn't saying that because I hate Kristo, I don't even know him, but just saying it was another missed opportunity. I'm sure Timmins will surprise us with Kristo...

Old
11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He did pick him, he was just took too long to get to the podium, so we picked a guy who can skate instead.
Personnally, I prefer a player who can still skate when playoffs come than a player who stop skating and start to be afraid of the opponent when it's getting dirty.