HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2008, 12:51 PM
  #201
King Kovalev
Registered User
 
King Kovalev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Poland
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I posted a proposal in the Kovalev thread on the forum that is receiving pretty decent reviews from Pittsburgh fans.

TO PITTSBURGH
A. Kovalev
R. O'Byrne

TO MONTREAL
P. Sykora
R. Whitney

PS. Whitney has 4-years remaining at $4M per year. Sykora is a UFA at years end.
And you think Kovalev is inconsistent lololololol. I hope something like this can get threw so I could laugh my ass off. Why the hell would they trade Whitney for OByrne again?

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
  #202
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Kovalev is going to make a lot of people eat their words. MMWs.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat mine.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:30 PM
  #203
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Kovalev is on pace for 34 even-strength points this year. As bad as that sounds, though, that total would only fall short of his 2007-08 output by one point. I mean, Nik Antropov outproduced Kovy at even-strength last year, so it's really not a good idea to expect much out of him at 5-on-5.

Kovy had huge numbers last year because he was lights-out on the powerplay (47 points, tops in the NHL), and now that the powerplay's gone south, so has he. This begs the question: Was the powerplay amazing because of Kovalev, or was Kovalev amazing because of the powerplay?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
  #204
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,320
vCash: 500
Kovalev is obviously just jealous. Just like Koivu was jealous last year. Not sure what they're jealous of, but yeah. That's it. Obviously.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
  #205
yukoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
This begs the question: Was the powerplay amazing because of Kovalev, or was Kovalev amazing because of the powerplay?
Pretty obvious answer really.

There's only been one major difference in our PP this year, and it's the fact that Kovalev is no longer making the passes, or the shots, from the half-board area.

Sure, he's trying, but his execution is just way off, and on some shifts he doesn't even seem to want the puck, constantly throwing it back to the point...

Kovy was our PP, and as he goes, so does our PP.

I'm a big Kovy fan, but he's just being lazy and non-commited out there lately. His dekes which usualy work >50% of the time, are now working maybe 10%? His passes are not connecting, they're either too short, or too long, or too slow, or too fast...he just doesn't have his mojo right now. Normally a guy the very rarely loses a 1 on 1 battle, he's now losing them constantly.

I think it's a combination of him 'pacing' himself (i.e. not giving 100%), and also him genuinely struggling with executing his normal, precision based, game.

What worries me most is Carbo seems unaware. I'd like to see him give Kovy a break for a game or two, and send a message that if you don't want to play, we don't want you on the ice either.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:44 PM
  #206
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
Pretty obvious answer really.

There's only been one major difference in our PP this year, and it's the fact that Kovalev is no longer making the passes, or the shots, from the half-board area.

Sure, he's trying, but his execution is just way off, and on some shifts he doesn't even seem to want the puck, constantly throwing it back to the point...
This is also because now that we have no shooter on the point, the opposing PKers couldn't key on Kovalev because they knew they also had to respect the shot - which gave Kovalev a lot more room to work with. Now that we have no shooter, teams aren't afraid to overplay Kovalev because they know that if he flips it back to the point, a shot from Markov or Tanguay is not nearly as dangerous as a shot from Souray or Streit was.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
  #207
yukoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This is also because now that we have no shooter on the point, the opposing PKers couldn't key on Kovalev because they knew they also had to respect the shot - which gave Kovalev a lot more room to work with. Now that we have no shooter, teams aren't afraid to overplay Kovalev because they know that if he flips it back to the point, a shot from Markov or Tanguay is not nearly as dangerous as a shot from Souray or Streit was.
Naw, I don't buy that for a second.

The problem is that Kovy's dekes are not working, and this is why he's running out of room along the boards.

Teams were never afraid to overplay Kovy because he'd pass to the point for a shot...they were afraid to overplay him because he would deke them, and take a lane to the net.

Now that he's not doing that, and not being able to win the 1 on 1 battles, they simply shove him off the puck, and he makes some deperation pass with usually ends up leaving the zone...

It's all Kovy, not Streit, not anyone else, our PP has been #1 since Kovy got to town. That's not a coincidence.

I will say that Markov hasn't been his usual self either, which certainly hasn't been helping.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 07:48 PM
  #208
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,585
vCash: 500
What last year turned the Habs into a clearly average squad to a first place team was the Kovalev transformation. When you have a player playing at the best of his abilities it change everything. Look at the Canucks: They're an average group from top to bottom, can't buy a goal to save their lives but Luongo can be so dominant that he inspire that team to be better and play with great intensity. This year Kovalev has returned to what he was two years ago and the Habs are lost, they don't know what's going on, their system is failing. But they shouldn't go nuts by over-thinking; It's not The Kosti Bros's fault, it's not the Coachs' faults, it's not the new players' fault. It's just that the super-player that we had last year is nowhere to be found anymore.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:00 AM
  #209
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,012
vCash: 50
I knew Kovalev was going to struggle this season when he cut his hair.


Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:23 AM
  #210
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post

It's all Kovy, not Streit, not anyone else, our PP has been #1 since Kovy got to town. That's not a coincidence.
Yes but you are ignoring the fact that those 2 years the pp was #1, we also had a great point shot(Souray, Streit). This year, nobody.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
  #211
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This is also because now that we have no shooter on the point, the opposing PKers couldn't key on Kovalev because they knew they also had to respect the shot - which gave Kovalev a lot more room to work with. Now that we have no shooter, teams aren't afraid to overplay Kovalev because they know that if he flips it back to the point, a shot from Markov or Tanguay is not nearly as dangerous as a shot from Souray or Streit was.
I agree with that. Losing Streit hurt us more than some think. Markov's shot is not too respected. They focus entirely on stopping his passes.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:55 AM
  #212
Azalichio
Registered User
 
Azalichio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I agree with that. Losing Streit hurt us more than some think. Markov's shot is not too respected. They focus entirely on stopping his passes.
Losing Streit hurt us mainly because now that we don't have a D with a good shot, we use Markov on the right side. Now markov can't move to the net like he used to nor can he make a cross ice pass to kovalev on the right side.

Our two best weapon on the power play are on the same side. That makes it much easier to counter.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
  #213
yukoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Yes but you are ignoring the fact that those 2 years the pp was #1, we also had a great point shot(Souray, Streit). This year, nobody.
Markov's shot is pretty close to as good as Streit imo. Not as hard, but more accurate. Then you've got Hammrlik, also has a deadly shot, and Breeser / S SKost are not too shabby either.

Missing a point shot is not our problem, it's passing. Our passing has been very uncharacteristic, and Kovalev is a big reason why that is...


I really don't understand how this isn't obvious to you guys??? How can you put the blame on Streit when Kovy is so obviously not doing what he was doing last year. Streit was nothing but a minor piece of our PP, a bit player, Kovalev was the star.

Which is more likely to be the cause, the star is no longer playing like a star? or we've lost one of the bit players?

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:24 AM
  #214
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
Markov's shot is pretty close to as good as Streit imo. Not as hard, but more accurate. Then you've got Hammrlik, also has a deadly shot, and Breeser / S SKost are not too shabby either.
Markov simply doesn't excel as a shooter on the pp, how is that not obvious to you? Plus he has trouble getting his shot through. He needs to be back on the left side where he is most comfortable as a set up man. Hammer, Sergei, and Breezer have an ok shot, nowhere near deadly as you say. To have a great pp you need a great point shooter, we don't have that.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:23 PM
  #215
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He is suppose to be one of the leaders of this team but he's been terrible.
We went through this debate last year. Kovalev is not supposed to be a leader, has never been one and will never be one.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
  #216
andreconstantin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
Leave Kovy alone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris-crocker.jpg‎ (3.6 KB, 17 views)

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.