HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev

Old
11-19-2008, 12:51 PM
King Kovalev

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I posted a proposal in the Kovalev thread on the forum that is receiving pretty decent reviews from Pittsburgh fans.

TO PITTSBURGH
A. Kovalev
R. O'Byrne

TO MONTREAL
P. Sykora
R. Whitney

PS. Whitney has 4-years remaining at $4M per year. Sykora is a UFA at years end.
And you think Kovalev is inconsistent lololololol. I hope something like this can get threw so I could laugh my ass off. Why the hell would they trade Whitney for OByrne again?

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Jigger77

Kovalev is going to make a lot of people eat their words. MMWs.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat mine.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Kovalev is on pace for 34 even-strength points this year. As bad as that sounds, though, that total would only fall short of his 2007-08 output by one point. I mean, Nik Antropov outproduced Kovy at even-strength last year, so it's really not a good idea to expect much out of him at 5-on-5.

Kovy had huge numbers last year because he was lights-out on the powerplay (47 points, tops in the NHL), and now that the powerplay's gone south, so has he. This begs the question: Was the powerplay amazing because of Kovalev, or was Kovalev amazing because of the powerplay?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Kovalev is obviously just jealous. Just like Koivu was jealous last year. Not sure what they're jealous of, but yeah. That's it. Obviously.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
This begs the question: Was the powerplay amazing because of Kovalev, or was Kovalev amazing because of the powerplay?
Pretty obvious answer really.

There's only been one major difference in our PP this year, and it's the fact that Kovalev is no longer making the passes, or the shots, from the half-board area.

Sure, he's trying, but his execution is just way off, and on some shifts he doesn't even seem to want the puck, constantly throwing it back to the point...

Kovy was our PP, and as he goes, so does our PP.

I'm a big Kovy fan, but he's just being lazy and non-commited out there lately. His dekes which usualy work >50% of the time, are now working maybe 10%? His passes are not connecting, they're either too short, or too long, or too slow, or too fast...he just doesn't have his mojo right now. Normally a guy the very rarely loses a 1 on 1 battle, he's now losing them constantly.

I think it's a combination of him 'pacing' himself (i.e. not giving 100%), and also him genuinely struggling with executing his normal, precision based, game.

What worries me most is Carbo seems unaware. I'd like to see him give Kovy a break for a game or two, and send a message that if you don't want to play, we don't want you on the ice either.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
Pretty obvious answer really.

There's only been one major difference in our PP this year, and it's the fact that Kovalev is no longer making the passes, or the shots, from the half-board area.

Sure, he's trying, but his execution is just way off, and on some shifts he doesn't even seem to want the puck, constantly throwing it back to the point...
This is also because now that we have no shooter on the point, the opposing PKers couldn't key on Kovalev because they knew they also had to respect the shot - which gave Kovalev a lot more room to work with. Now that we have no shooter, teams aren't afraid to overplay Kovalev because they know that if he flips it back to the point, a shot from Markov or Tanguay is not nearly as dangerous as a shot from Souray or Streit was.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This is also because now that we have no shooter on the point, the opposing PKers couldn't key on Kovalev because they knew they also had to respect the shot - which gave Kovalev a lot more room to work with. Now that we have no shooter, teams aren't afraid to overplay Kovalev because they know that if he flips it back to the point, a shot from Markov or Tanguay is not nearly as dangerous as a shot from Souray or Streit was.
Naw, I don't buy that for a second.

The problem is that Kovy's dekes are not working, and this is why he's running out of room along the boards.

Teams were never afraid to overplay Kovy because he'd pass to the point for a shot...they were afraid to overplay him because he would deke them, and take a lane to the net.

Now that he's not doing that, and not being able to win the 1 on 1 battles, they simply shove him off the puck, and he makes some deperation pass with usually ends up leaving the zone...

It's all Kovy, not Streit, not anyone else, our PP has been #1 since Kovy got to town. That's not a coincidence.

I will say that Markov hasn't been his usual self either, which certainly hasn't been helping.

Old
11-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

What last year turned the Habs into a clearly average squad to a first place team was the Kovalev transformation. When you have a player playing at the best of his abilities it change everything. Look at the Canucks: They're an average group from top to bottom, can't buy a goal to save their lives but Luongo can be so dominant that he inspire that team to be better and play with great intensity. This year Kovalev has returned to what he was two years ago and the Habs are lost, they don't know what's going on, their system is failing. But they shouldn't go nuts by over-thinking; It's not The Kosti Bros's fault, it's not the Coachs' faults, it's not the new players' fault. It's just that the super-player that we had last year is nowhere to be found anymore.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I knew Kovalev was going to struggle this season when he cut his hair.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:23 AM
TheCH*

Quote:

It's all Kovy, not Streit, not anyone else, our PP has been #1 since Kovy got to town. That's not a coincidence.
Yes but you are ignoring the fact that those 2 years the pp was #1, we also had a great point shot(Souray, Streit). This year, nobody.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I agree with that. Losing Streit hurt us more than some think. Markov's shot is not too respected. They focus entirely on stopping his passes.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I agree with that. Losing Streit hurt us more than some think. Markov's shot is not too respected. They focus entirely on stopping his passes.
Losing Streit hurt us mainly because now that we don't have a D with a good shot, we use Markov on the right side. Now markov can't move to the net like he used to nor can he make a cross ice pass to kovalev on the right side.

Our two best weapon on the power play are on the same side. That makes it much easier to counter.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Yes but you are ignoring the fact that those 2 years the pp was #1, we also had a great point shot(Souray, Streit). This year, nobody.
Markov's shot is pretty close to as good as Streit imo. Not as hard, but more accurate. Then you've got Hammrlik, also has a deadly shot, and Breeser / S SKost are not too shabby either.

Missing a point shot is not our problem, it's passing. Our passing has been very uncharacteristic, and Kovalev is a big reason why that is...

I really don't understand how this isn't obvious to you guys??? How can you put the blame on Streit when Kovy is so obviously not doing what he was doing last year. Streit was nothing but a minor piece of our PP, a bit player, Kovalev was the star.

Which is more likely to be the cause, the star is no longer playing like a star? or we've lost one of the bit players?

Old
11-20-2008, 10:24 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Markov's shot is pretty close to as good as Streit imo. Not as hard, but more accurate. Then you've got Hammrlik, also has a deadly shot, and Breeser / S SKost are not too shabby either.
Markov simply doesn't excel as a shooter on the pp, how is that not obvious to you? Plus he has trouble getting his shot through. He needs to be back on the left side where he is most comfortable as a set up man. Hammer, Sergei, and Breezer have an ok shot, nowhere near deadly as you say. To have a great pp you need a great point shooter, we don't have that.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He is suppose to be one of the leaders of this team but he's been terrible.
We went through this debate last year. Kovalev is not supposed to be a leader, has never been one and will never be one.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
Leave Kovy alone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris-crocker.jpg‎ (3.6 KB, 17 views)

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote