HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Avalanche @ Flames, Game 19

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP tonight?
Adrian Aucoin 14 82.35%
Curtis Glencross 2 11.76%
Michael Cammalleri 0 0%
Rene Bourque 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Hyde

vCash: 500
PGT: Avalanche @ Flames, Game 19

Fire away......

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:07 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

MVP = Moss for actually scoring a PP goal.

Nah, my MVP vote goes to Aucoin. Probably his best game of the year, with the GWG and an assist.

The whole team played well. If not for Budaj's great play, this would have been a blowout given how many shots the Flames had on net.

Good team effort all around, and a much needed win.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grannys

What a game, it was intense all the way and Im glad the Flames were able to win it in the end because they deserved it bad. So I guess the Flames dilemma is that they need a big loosing streak to scare everyone and then they come back and play like they should.

Over 50 shots!!!! Thats sweet considering they couldnt even do half of that against the Sharks. But hats of and major respect to Budaj for giving the Avs and fighting chance.

Now lets keep this going, everyone played well and man I do love big Bert. The guy is just amazing and you can see it in the way he sees the ice and handless the puck, glad hes doing well in Calgary.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
saillias

Keenan for canceling the California vacation. Whole team effort tonight

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
KiwiFlamesFan

I won't vote for an MVP cause I only got to watch the 3rd period. From what I saw though we had a strong game and most important got a big rebound win.

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
I miss the 'Other'-option to vote for you, Hyde!

Jokes aside, big win by the Flames and arguably the best game of the season. Flames were all over the Avs, and if not for Budaj's outstanding play, the game would have been a total blow-out.
My MVP-vote goes to Adrian Aucoin, whose bomb finally beat Budaj. In addition, he was +3 and had over 25 minutes of ice-time. On the flip-side, he had three turnovers, of whom one turned into the great scoring chance for Smyth in the final minute. Fortunately, Kipper was on his feet on this play.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Lanny'sDaMan

The third period was again much the same as the rest of the game. Flames totally dominating every aspect of the game, and Budaj making saves he had no business making.The forecheck was relentless, the backcheck solid, I can only find one aspect of the game tonight to pick on.

That would be the powerplay. one for eight on the night, scoring only when it really no longer mattered. Tho I have to point out that the second unit, as I commended earlier was who scored with Moss potting the puck right over the short side shoulder of Budaj.

The penalty kill unit finally got to show their stuff with 2 minor penalties called on the Flames in the third. And as one might expect they were flawless, with active sticks, and good shot blocking. Miikka, while only facing 23 shots, was stellar and really stood tall when called upon.

This was without a doubt, the most complete and well executed game of the season thus far for the Flames. The score tho somewhat more indicative of the rout that this game was, still flatters Colorado by alot. Without the magnificent play of Budaj, this game is an utter blowout.

The Flames, knowing they had to show a much better effort after the abysmal game on Saturday, came out firing on all cylinders. They had intensity, smart passing, and solid defensive play throughout the lineup.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

First star of the game should have been Budaj. I thought Aucoin played extremely well, but went with Glencross just to be different.

Now lets see if we can repeat this effort next game, against the same team. Should be interesting to see which Budaj shows up.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Hyde

^ This the "Flames MVP" not best Player of the Game. I guess I could have made Budaj a selection though.....BUT if I really think about it nope...no Avs no Nucks no Wild no Oil will ever grace our POLL! Never, never, EVER!

Old
11-19-2008, 12:19 AM
BadNewsBearcat

I'm voting for the line of Nystrom - Primeau - and Prust for MVP. They really caused a lot of problems for the Avs and created numerous scoring chances while they were on the ice. Props to Nystrom for stepping up and going with Laperriere. He really held his own.

But since that's not an option, I voted for Bourque. I thought he played really well tonight.

All in all, great game by the Flames tonight. I hope they can keep this momentum going into Thursday.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:23 AM
GoFlames

What a great game! Voted for Aucoin as his goal was the spark but wanted to vote for Regehr also at +3.

A great total team game from Kipper to the offence. Bring it on!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Pomeranian

good game. The final score did represent all the hard work the team put in. I thought they might get frustrated abit, but I thought they kept the intensity going and it paid off. The days off to get healthy and the practices have paid off.

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Hyde

The Flames just played a really solid defensive* game by everyone tonight. I am just a very happy Flames Fan right now.

MVP: Aucoin

*Word of the Day

Old
11-19-2008, 12:53 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Great game by the boys tonight. Completely dominated. Defensively everyone was helping out and obviously offensively we were able to do pretty much anything and the avs had nothing to stop us. Kipper was solid was asked upon.

Glencross was phenominal. Perfect 3rd line guy. Great speed, had some good chances with the puck, and was good on the PK. Really like that third line of Glencross-Conroy-Moss. 4th line as they have all season were great. You know exactly what you are going to get from them every shift every game.

Have to give props to Aucoin. Gets bashed a lot, but tonight he had a great game. Nice step up (anyone think it was offside) and a hell of a shot. Was also steady defensively. Thought Pardy looked very good and easily his best game as a flame. Didn't make any mistakes and stepped up a few times in the offensive zone. Someone else said it and I couldn't agree more that he looked comfortable out there.

Great game, but they need to follow it up with another one. Can't get to high off this game and have a letdown for the rematch on Thursday.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Noori

vCash: 1673
Kipper's slowly mending his numbers.

Great effort. Aucoin for MVP. They better play like this again on Thursday.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:46 AM
AndersEriksson*

MVP honours are a tie between the effort from the Flames, the effort from the Avs and the absence of Joe Sakic.

Great game by the Flames but the Avs were really brutal as well.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Complete domination.

51 shots on goal, 40 blocked shots by the Avs. This tells me two things, first that the game plan from Keenan was shoot at every opportnuity, and second, the flames followed through on the game plan and got rewarded for it. Even after going down 1-0 early on a bad defensive play (3 flames chasing one Av behind the net) the flames stuck with it, didn't panic, and came back in convincing fashion.

Though on that note, one thing that is less than stellar is that the Flames have given up the first goal in the last 5 games, and through the season as a whole, have given up the first goal 11 times (to 8 times where the flames score first). We've battled back to win some of those games, but the long-term trend on that isn't promising.

I absolutely loved Bertuzzi last night, the way he carries the puck was noticably smooth and that between the leg shot just amazed me. I never expected him to have playmaking ability. His penalty could have been avoided, but it was killed off so it was all good.

MVP vote goes to Aucoin for the points, but this was a whole team win, very much deserved.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:58 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Complete domination.

51 shots on goal, 40 blocked shots by the Avs. This tells me two things, first that the game plan from Keenan was shoot at every opportnuity, and second, the flames followed through on the game plan and got rewarded for it. Even after going down 1-0 early on a bad defensive play (3 flames chasing one Av behind the net) the flames stuck with it, didn't panic, and came back in convincing fashion.

Though on that note, one thing that is less than stellar is that the Flames have given up the first goal in the last 5 games, and through the season as a whole, have given up the first goal 11 times (to 8 times where the flames score first). We've battled back to win some of those games, but the long-term trend on that isn't promising.

I absolutely loved Bertuzzi last night, the way he carries the puck was noticably smooth and that between the leg shot just amazed me. I never expected him to have playmaking ability. His penalty could have been avoided, but it was killed off so it was all good.

MVP vote goes to Aucoin for the points, but this was a whole team win, very much deserved.
It doesn't tell you that the Avs played their worst game in years? Not to take anything away from the Flames and their effort, but if there's one thing us Flames fans should be able to do by now it is to spot a team playing way below their ability. We've been doing it a lot and last night the Avs were doing it.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersEriksson View Post
It doesn't tell you that the Avs played their worst game in years? Not to take anything away from the Flames and their effort, but if there's one thing us Flames fans should be able to do by now it is to spot a team playing way below their ability. We've been doing it a lot and last night the Avs were doing it.
While the Avs certainly did not play a good game, they did have some bright spots. I don't think that going 7/8 on the PK (including a 1:30 3v5), blocking 25 shots, and getting a few good scoring chances and a goal constitutes their worst game in years. Granted, I don't watch Avalanche games so I don't have a worse game to point to.

And I'm not even convinced that the Avs were playing way below their ability. In the past 10 games, the Avalanche have scored 15 goals. This team appears to be significantly worse than last season, so their offense last night appears to be on par with their recent games.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
^ This the "Flames MVP" not best Player of the Game. I guess I could have made Budaj a selection though.....BUT if I really think about it nope...no Avs no Nucks no Wild no Oil will ever grace our POLL! Never, never, EVER!
I mean the literal first star of the game, not the MVP in this thread. I meant it as more of a Post-Game Comment.

Old
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I mean the literal first star of the game, not the MVP in this thread. I meant it as more of a Post-Game Comment.
Ah, well then I will move along.

Old
11-19-2008, 06:01 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Joe Sakic will not play tomorrow either. Good news for us.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Joe Sakic will not play tomorrow either. Good news for us.
Hooray! He is a Flames killer.

Old
11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post

Couldn't agree more. Bertuzzi continues to amaze me every game with the skill he has. Unfortunate he seems to be snake bitten right now as it just hasn't gone in for him. Even showed some great speed in going wide around an avs defenceman and getting a good shot on net.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote