HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Niedermayer

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2004, 12:11 AM
bhj

vCash: 500
Scott Niedermayer

Why are there all this hype that he is coming to Vancouver?

I mean even if he comes...does the Canuckz really have a better chance at winning the cup? I think so...but is it worth spending 4-7 million signing a defenceman rather than a top 6 forward?

fire away

Old
06-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Norris. That is all I will say on the matter.

Old
06-20-2004, 12:31 AM
bhj

Jovo and Ohlund?

Both of them can be the franhise defenceman on another team...

look at detroit if you want to compare... Hatcher, Lidstorm, Schiender, Chelios
they exited in the second round

Old
06-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj
Jovo and Ohlund?

Both of them can be the franhise defenceman on another team...

look at detroit if you want to compare... Hatcher, Lidstorm, Schiender, Chelios
they exited in the second round
While that may be true, you can never go wrong adding a Norris winning d-man to your lineup.

Edit: well you can, but if they won it 2 weeks ago, it is pretty hard.

Old
06-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Broda

Your telling me that you wouldn't do anything and everything in your power to help your team win the cup... if it is an extra 4-7 mill a year... hell... id fri kin doit if it meant that we would get the cup....
don't know about you but i personally want to see the Canucks win a Cup sooooo badly.... it honestly hurts year in and year out to see our team fall in the playoffs... a guy like Niedermayer would be priceless i feel personally... you have him with Ohlund... or Jovo ... what a defense pair that would be defensivly... let alone offensively.... It would be amazing... and i feel it would be worth it

Old
06-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Knucklez

You don't pass up a chance to get a guy like Scott.

Old
06-20-2004, 07:02 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Also, if we add Niedermeyer here, that means, we have the luxuary of trading one of our current D. (Sopel or Malik).. Sopel most likely due to his young age, offensive upside, cheap.. which can fetch us MORE in terms of trades... BUT if we just want to dump some salary to make room for Niedermeyer.. then look for Malik.. whose value shouldnt be too low after leading the league in +/- just this past season!

Ohlund/Salo
Jovo/Niedermeyer
Allen/Malik or Sopel
7th D (cheap or callup)

Then all we need is 1 tough forward (cheap making less than 800k) and 1 decent scoring top 6 (Recci type)

then we would have something like this..

WCE
Sedins + 1 decent top 6 (recchi)
Ruutu/tough F (brown?)/ Linden
May/Chub/Keane or sub Kesler in there.

I'd love to start season with this.. and some tweakin at trade deadline so we can evaluate what would have worked and what would not.

Last edited by PhillyNucksFan: 06-20-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old
06-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNucksFan
Also, if we add Niedermeyer here, that means, we have the luxuary of trading one of our current D. (Sopel or Malik).. Sopel most likely due to his young age, offensive upside, cheap.. which can fetch us MORE in terms of trades... BUT if we just want to dump some salary to make room for Niedermeyer.. then look for Malik.. whose value shouldnt be too low after leading the league in +/- just this past season!

Ohlund/Salo
Jovo/Niedermeyer
Allen/Malik or Sopel
7th D (cheap or callup)

Then all we need is 1 tough forward (cheap making less than 800k) and 1 decent scoring top 6 (Recci type)

then we would have something like this..

WCE
Sedins + 1 decent top 6 (recchi)
Ruutu/tough F (brown?)/ Linden
May/Chub/Keane or sub Kesler in there.

I'd love to start season with this.. and some tweakin at trade deadline so we can evaluate what would have worked and what would not.

Well, first off, Niedermayer is not a UFA this off-season, so if the Canucks want him for next season, they'll have to trade for him. Secondly, do you honestly feel the Canucks have the money to sign both Niedermayer and Recchi? I don't think its very reasonable to believe that the Canucks can just add, lets say, at least $8 mil to their budget(Niedermayer at $5 mil, Recchi at $3 mil), especially heading into a new CBA. I think there is a slight chance that Recchi could sign with the Canucks this off season, and there's always the chance that Niedermayer comes to Van next year, but unless the Canucks shed some salary somewhere else, I don't think both would be coming here.

Old
06-20-2004, 09:19 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Well, first off, Niedermayer is not a UFA this off-season, so if the Canucks want him for next season, they'll have to trade for him. Secondly, do you honestly feel the Canucks have the money to sign both Niedermayer and Recchi? I don't think its very reasonable to believe that the Canucks can just add, lets say, at least $8 mil to their budget(Niedermayer at $5 mil, Recchi at $3 mil), especially heading into a new CBA. I think there is a slight chance that Recchi could sign with the Canucks this off season, and there's always the chance that Niedermayer comes to Van next year, but unless the Canucks shed some salary somewhere else, I don't think both would be coming here.

the very first post was being asked hypothetically, and as result, I replied in the same manner.

Now, first of all, if you want to talk about realistically-speaking. No, Canucks will not have both or even either one by the start of the next season, whenever that is.

2nd of all, recchi was the "type" of the player that I was suggesting to fetch, not the player himself, though that would be nice.

lastly, there you go. realistically speaking, no, we wil not get both of them. But hypothetically speaking and to "answer" the very post, the above reasons are exactly the ones why we are having "hypes" to even dream about Niedermeyer's coming here.

Old
06-20-2004, 09:56 PM
TheCrock

K I think you answered yer own question...

mean even if he comes...does the Canuckz really have a better chance at winning the cup? I think so...but is it worth spending 4-7 million signing a defenceman rather than a top 6 forward?

The Answer is yes, but sorry the Canucks have too many other holes to worry about. Like getting a real goaltender, not a hothead undisciplined hack like Cloutier.

His career playoff GAA and stats are laughable, regular season means ****, playoffs are when it counts.

Bottom line, get rid of the smugh puke Crawford, better goaltending.

I know Canuck fans every year think they are gonna win the Stanley Cup after the first month of the season, but there are just too many holes for them to be able to come anywhere near that.

Old
06-21-2004, 03:54 AM
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrock

I know Canuck fans every year think they are gonna win the Stanley Cup after the first month of the season, but there are just too many holes for them to be able to come anywhere near that.

Well excellent! Thanks for coming by and setting us straight. Now back to your normal job putting the ends on shoelaces.

Old
06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Why trade for him? It makes no sense.

a) He's a UFA in a year. If he wants $ as a UFA he'll leave Van if we trade for him. If he wants to play here for less he'll come here as a UFA anyway.

b) Next year might be a lockout season. There might be no play, at the end of which he's a UFA.

c) We could trade away Ohlund/jovo, have a lockout, watch Scott resign with the Devils and get nothing.

Wait the year out until he's a UFA and he'll do what he was going to do anyway and we save our own players and picks.

Last edited by me2: 06-21-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old
06-21-2004, 10:31 PM
deathbear

we're not going to get him this year, people need to have a bit of a reality check.

Old
07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
C'nuckleHead

Anyone catch the sports report on CBC radio one this morning? They quoted one of the brothers as saying they have discussed finishing their careers playing together at home in Vancouver.

That's the first I've heard from the mainstream media on the subject.

Old
07-13-2004, 12:23 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'nuckleHead
Anyone catch the sports report on CBC radio one this morning? They quoted one of the brothers as saying they have discussed finishing their careers playing together at home in Vancouver.

That's the first I've heard from the mainstream media on the subject.
There is certainly some substance to this rumour, although them "wanting" to come play for Vancouver and both sides actually working something out is a totally different story. Still, I think there is reason for at least some hope.

This was in Spector's today:

Quote:
NIEDERMAYER BROTHERS HOPE TO REUNITE.

VANCOUVER SUN: Kevin Woodley reports Scott and Rob Niedermayer enjoyed the experience of playing together at this year's World Hockey championships and are keen to do so again in the NHL, possibly with the Vancouver Canucks. The brothers are natives of British Columbia and would love to return there to finish their NHL careers. Scott is eligible for UFA status next season if the Devils fail to re-sign him this year to a long-term contract, while Rob might also be eligible if the age limit for UFAs is lowered in the next CBA.

NEW YORK POST: Mark Everson reports New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is trying to obtain Rob in hopes reuniting the brothers will convince Scott to re-sign a long-term deal with the Devils.

Spector's Note: Woodley noted Scott's salary demands next season could make him a tough signing for the Canucks, but I think if the opportunity is there to bring both Niedermayer boys home at an affordable price next year, the Canucks will look into it. If Lamoriello should bring Rob to New Jersey, however, that could change things.

Old
07-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
I agree that it is a pipe dream that we would get Scott, but if we could, I'd be a very happy fan.

To the person who suggested that our money would be better spent on a top six forward: Don't be short-sighted. If we signed Scott, we could possibly move another one of our defensemen for a top six forward. Even if we don't, we'd have one of the best offensive defense corps in the NHL, and history has shown that you need a pretty solid defense to win the Cup. Upgrading one's defense is always a good move, and I can't think of many defensemen better than Scott.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:06 PM
deathbear

if we get nieds, it would make jovanovski expendable, and i certainly think he'd get us something good up front. dont you?

Old
07-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Eddie Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
if we get nieds, it would make jovanovski expendable, and i certainly think he'd get us something good up front. dont you?

I definatly wouldnt pick jovanovksi to trade from the defence core..
I mean yes, nieds and jovo are cut from the same mold.. but is that really a bad thing? i wouldnt be crying if we had them both. Hell, put jovo up front with the sedins even.

Old
07-13-2004, 07:30 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBrew
I definatly wouldnt pick jovanovksi to trade from the defence core..
I mean yes, nieds and jovo are cut from the same mold.. but is that really a bad thing? i wouldnt be crying if we had them both. Hell, put jovo up front with the sedins even.
i think it's more of the fact that Jovanovski will be making over $5 million, Nieds over $6 million, and Ohlund in likelyhood will get a huge raise in the $4 million range.

Closed Thread