HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

More Disrespect from Local Media

Old
11-20-2008, 12:34 PM
flankerbill13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What would you like me to do?

what me and TonyTheGr8 have been trying to say is that it could be possible to bring hockey up in the public view, and all you're doing is saying how impossible it would be.
how about a positive outlook? I'm not saying tomorrow we wake up and hockey is #1. But it could become more popular if the fans actually attempt to do something instead of just sitting back and taking it.

flankerbill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Clearly it's up to us to get everyone to care about hockey so that we don't feel so lonely in the sports world.

Seriously people, what's with the need for acceptance? Americans don't like hockey very much. So what? It shouldn't hamper your enjoyment for the sport in the least. If anything you should be happy. If hockey was as popular as basketball then Rangers ticket prices might look more like those of the Knicks.
I don't understand why people are taking the lack of coverage as a personal affront.

I would like more coverage. But I understand why there isn't. Is that doom and gloom, being negative or rolling over and taking it?

11-20-2008, 12:43 PM
flankerbill13

Quote:
I don't understand why people are taking the lack of coverage as a personal affront.

I would like more coverage. But I understand why there isn't. Is that doom and gloom, being negative or rolling over and taking it?
who's taking it personally? I'll watch hockey regardless of who covers it, whats the point of a debate if there is no antagonist?

Old
11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

No, you're the only one in this discussion who's using common sense. I work for a bigtime media company, and I agree that the papers give the people what they want, its not about playing favorites, its maximizing your readership. When enough people demand hockey stories that will happen. Of course, that has NEVER been the case, just a fact in my 30 years of following pro hockey in the US. Hockey is in the minority in papers, internet sites, news programs, etc - theres a reason things have not changed although the technologies certainly have.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Clearly it's up to us to get everyone to care about hockey so that we don't feel so lonely in the sports world.

Seriously people, what's with the need for acceptance? Americans don't like hockey very much. So what? It shouldn't hamper your enjoyment for the sport in the least. If anything you should be happy. If hockey was as popular as basketball then Rangers ticket prices might look more like those of the Knicks.
Dude, what are you talking about? This has got nothing to do with being lonely and being accepted. This has to do with me believing that hockey is being suffocated by lack of media coverage when it clearly deserves more!

A back page headline when they win a big game, more then 5 second blurb on the evening news and little talk about it on the radio, I'm not asking for a lot here!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:48 PM
flankerbill13

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No, you're the only one in this discussion who's using common sense. I work for a bigtime media company, and I agree that the papers give the people what they want, its not about playing favorites, its maximizing your readership. When enough people demand hockey stories that will happen. Of course, that has NEVER been the case, just a fact in my 30 years of following pro hockey in the US. Hockey is in the minority in papers, internet sites, news programs, etc - theres a reason things have not changed although the technologies certainly have.
only one using common sense huh? I think my "what if" scenarios said the same thing that you just said. They don't cover it because there isn't the demand. If fans demand it then there will be more coverage. The doom and gloom comes in when people say, it will never happen.

Old
11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Dude, what are you talking about? This has got nothing to do with being lonely and being accepted. This has to do with me believing that hockey is being suffocated by lack of media coverage when it clearly deserves more!

A back page headline when they win a big game, more then 5 second blurb on the evening news and little talk about it on the radio, I'm not asking for a lot here!
Why does it deserve more? Clearly most of the public doesn't agree with you.

And Bluenote, I think I've been using some common sense as well!

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flankerbill13 View Post
what me and TonyTheGr8 have been trying to say is that it could be possible to bring hockey up in the public view, and all you're doing is saying how impossible it would be.
how about a positive outlook? I'm not saying tomorrow we wake up and hockey is #1. But it could become more popular if the fans actually attempt to do something instead of just sitting back and taking it.
Quote:
who's taking it personally? I'll watch hockey regardless of who covers it, whats the point of a debate if there is no antagonist?
When you're talking about sitting back and taking it, it becomes a personal. Like the media is doing something to deliberately harm you.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Quote:

You're gonna tell me the Rangers playing really good hockey the last 3 years when they were so awful for 7, and the emergence of a superstar goalie, doesn't deserve more coverage then the Knicks losing game in game out. Embarassing themselves both on the court and in the media with their 3 ringed circus of Jim Dolan, Larry Brown and Isaiah Thomas? Isn't sports supposed to be at least partially about good stories? Doesn't it bother you that the Rangers incredible season in 05-06 when they were predicted to finish last was basically ignored?? If it was the Knicks, the media would be all over that.

Look, I clearly am not gonna get thru to you or to singtheblues here, so fine. You don't think hockey deserves some sort of acknowledgement by the media, then I'm not gonna change your mind.

Old
11-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Sorry guys, I shouldve said everyone who is agreeing with the sentiments presented by SBOB, cause he's 100% right.

I find it hilarious that you have how many years of pro hockey in the US as prime EXAMPLE why hockey will rarely(there I didnt say never) get prime attention from the press, but people think its somehow gonna change if hockey gets a backpage of a NY rag

Old
11-20-2008, 01:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You don't think hockey deserves some sort of acknowledgement by the media, then I'm not gonna change your mind.
Don't put words in my mouth. I have never said that hockey does not deserve acknowledgment in the media.

What I have said is there are reasons why it is what it is. And then I tried to convey what those reasons are.

Old
11-20-2008, 01:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
This has to do with me believing that hockey is being suffocated by lack of media coverage when it clearly deserves more!
You and I want more and think it deserves more. Of course we are discussing this on a hockey message board.

If the media felt hockey deserved more attention, they would give it. They're not going to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Old
11-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
You're gonna tell me the Rangers playing really good hockey the last 3 years when they were so awful for 7, and the emergence of a superstar goalie, doesn't deserve more coverage then the Knicks losing game in game out. Embarassing themselves both on the court and in the media with their 3 ringed circus of Jim Dolan, Larry Brown and Isaiah Thomas? Isn't sports supposed to be at least partially about good stories? Doesn't it bother you that the Rangers incredible season in 05-06 when they were predicted to finish last was basically ignored?? If it was the Knicks, the media would be all over that.

Look, I clearly am not gonna get thru to you or to singtheblues here, so fine. You don't think hockey deserves some sort of acknowledgement by the media, then I'm not gonna change your mind.
I think they deserve it, but then again I think I deserve Angelina Jolie on my lap...but i'm not counting the seconds until that happens

Old
11-20-2008, 01:08 PM
flankerbill13

Quote:
When you're talking about sitting back and taking it, it becomes a personal. Like the media is doing something to deliberately harm you.
i never said hockey fans are being deliberately harmed. This thread is about disrespect in the media, but if the thread starter is using this as his only forum to speak his mind on the issue then he is sitting back and taking it.

I have called radio shows a few times to ask why it isn't being covered. Did it help? no, because it's one voice. If enough people did then there would probably be a change. I am not asking for a call to arms, but the benefit to having media coverage would be seen in increased merch and ticket sales especially with the struggling franchises and help by creating a healthier league.

Quote:
You and I want more and think it deserves more. Of course we are discussing this on a hockey message board.

If the media felt hockey deserved more attention, they would give it. They're not going to cut off their nose to spite their face.
so...have you been reading any of my posts contradiciting that statement?

Last edited by flankerbill13: 11-20-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old
11-20-2008, 01:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I think they deserve it, but then again I think I deserve Angelina Jolie on my lap...but i'm not counting the seconds until that happens
And like hockey, most American's don't agree with you.

Old
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth. I have never said that hockey does not deserve acknowledgment in the media.

What I have said is there are reasons why it is what it is. And then I tried to convey what those reasons are.
Ok, well I disagree with your reasons. So again, let's agree to disagree.

And I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, sorry if it came off like that.

Old
11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
And like hockey, most American's don't agree with you.
But what if they put my picture on page 6...thats more coverage, which mean maybe I'll attract more hot actresses

Old
11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Hahaha...I prefer Elisha Cuthbert myself!

Old
11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
But what if they put my picture on page 6...thats more coverage, which mean maybe I'll attract more hot actresses
Only if you were wearing a Ranger jersey.

Old
11-20-2008, 01:23 PM
flankerbill13

Quote:
Ok, well I disagree with your reasons. So again, let's agree to disagree.

And I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, sorry if it came off like that.
I'm on your side tony

Old
11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
I'm on your side tony
lol...well at least someone is!

Old
11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
I'm running a pool here in NY, trying to guess how many consecutive days it will be before Beningo and Roberts on WFAN even mention the NHL on the air.
They mention the NHL every day. Granted, they usually only give it a few minutes this time of year, but last year in the playoffs they actually spent quite a bit talking about it.

And at least they will acknowledge it's existence, unlike Mike and Mike and Mike'd up and the like.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote