HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why this team should be a contender...

Old
11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Fixed

EHHH ok that make you feel better.

Was i wrong with what i wrote?? no

I was only stating that if in fact what Ola wrote is true and we arent underperforming then we have some very overpaid players.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Fixed
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standings

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellOnIce View Post
The Rangers look a lot like the Devils from a few years back, probably more 2007 version whered they win games, a lot of shootouts, by one goal margin, often comeback, and just get by. The problem is once the playoffs start, everyone plays good defense and real weakenesses come through. Teams don't magically start scoring in the playoffs.
Yea but the NY Rangers have a better goaltender.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Whats your point 'shake & bake' ?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Ok i am really not wanting to get into one big back and forward thing here but if what Ola says is right and the team isnt underperforming then we may have the team with the most overpaid players in the league when you consider what the bring.

Gomez $7.35m = not even a PPG player,
Drury $7.05m = never has broke 70 pts, but thats ok he has intangibles
Naslund $4m = a sniper who's production is on the decline
Redden $6.5m = we needed a PPQB but paid Wade who Ottawa couldnt wait to get rid off
Rozsival $5m = doesnt hit, seems to buckle under pressure and can take lazy penalties
Kalinin $2.1m = seemed like he was always in Lindy Ruffs doghouse, needed fresh start.

What i mean is Sather has dished all these big contracts out to players who really didnt deserve them and its going to handcuff us for many years. i love our record as it is but i think it is misleading.
You definitly make a good point.

What can be discussed though is how many options we have had. Like its better to pay someone then nobody else.

My point is, its not like Slats signed Redden and passed on Pronger for the same buck. Its not like we signed Gomez and passed on Zetterberg. Or that we signed Drury and passed on Mike Richards...

At the same time -- I think the final verdict on thoose signings only can come when we see what happends with the cap in the future. Like if the cap had kept gooing up 7-8% per year, in 3 years we would have had a cap of 73m per. One year ago I think that was a very reasonable expectation. And in a 73m cap world, paying Rozi 5m per would be like paying him 3.9m per today.

Though if the cap pretty much stands still for a couple of years or even goes back some -- then thoose contracts will look allot worse.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You definitly make a good point.

What can be discussed though is how many options we have had. Like its better to pay someone then nobody else.

My point is, its not like Slats signed Redden and passed on Pronger for the same buck. Its not like we signed Gomez and passed on Zetterberg. Or that we signed Drury and passed on Mike Richards...

At the same time -- I think the final verdict on thoose signings only can come when we see what happends with the cap in the future. Like if the cap had kept gooing up 7-8% per year, in 3 years we would have had a cap of 73m per. One year ago I think that was a very reasonable expectation. And in a 73m cap world, paying Rozi 5m per would be like paying him 3.9m per today.

Though if the cap pretty much stands still for a couple of years or even goes back some -- then thoose contracts will look allot worse.

I agree about the cap.

I think that we wont fully know just how good/bad those contracts are until maybe 3 yrs down the line. Of course if we win a cup in the next few years then nobody can argue that it was worth it.

I just hope the cap continues to go up.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:23 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I think the Rangers have a good enough defensive system and goaltender to be a good regular season team. The playoffs seem to be a goal this team will achieve. But I don't believe that the Rangers have enough top-level offensive talent to go far in the playoffs. They're not getting past a team with the offensive firepower of Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

Whether that missing offense comes through the development of current youth, trades or free agency (don't think the Rangers have enough cap room to splurge since free agency is expensive), I'm not sure. I had high hopes for Cherepanov, not immediately, but eventually I thought he could be a 30 goal scorer.

And I don't blame any of the current shortcomings on the signings of Drury and Gomez. I still believe those are players you win with. People need to remember they weren't the offensive leaders on their respective teams when they played for champions. That doesn't make them bad investments. You don't measure a player's entire contribution by looking at the stat sheet. Maybe the Rangers could have spent money differently and brought in more offensively gifted players, but at what additional price and how would they fit in to Renney's defensive system? More goals doesn't mean much if the player is lazy in his backchecking and the team is losing 4-3 instead of winning 2-1.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:49 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
we r the worst first place team....

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I think the Rangers have a good enough defensive system and goaltender to be a good regular season team. The playoffs seem to be a goal this team will achieve. But I don't believe that the Rangers have enough top-level offensive talent to go far in the playoffs. They're not getting past a team with the offensive firepower of Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

Whether that missing offense comes through the development of current youth, trades or free agency (don't think the Rangers have enough cap room to splurge since free agency is expensive), I'm not sure. I had high hopes for Cherepanov, not immediately, but eventually I thought he could be a 30 goal scorer.

And I don't blame any of the current shortcomings on the signings of Drury and Gomez. I still believe those are players you win with. People need to remember they weren't the offensive leaders on their respective teams when they played for champions. That doesn't make them bad investments. You don't measure a player's entire contribution by looking at the stat sheet. Maybe the Rangers could have spent money differently and brought in more offensively gifted players, but at what additional price and how would they fit in to Renney's defensive system? More goals doesn't mean much if the player is lazy in his backchecking and the team is losing 4-3 instead of winning 2-1.
I don't dissagree.

The only thing I got a major problem with is the heat this team is facing right now.

We sure as hades aren't loaded with either offensive firepower, while we have some depth defensivly, we definitly don't have a top 4 blueline -- and we have a great goaltender.

There is 30 teams in this league. 4-5 of thoose IMO are real conteders. 4-5 of thoose teams, maybe less -- will play at a constant high level more or less all season. Then there is maybe 10 teams that will have allot of ups and downs.

I think its total BS by some fans and some in media to tear this team apart because we aren't playing like a real stanley cup contender in november. Its the same guys too who wanted all the major changes we made this summer, who wanted Jagr gone. Well now we got a team where half the roster have been here less then 2 month almost. 3 guys basically who have been here longer then 2 seasons. Wow, what a major suprise it is that we are facing some adversity...

Now -- because we aren't a perfect team after 6 weeks -- the coach should be fired. Half the roster should be booed out of town.

I hate to say it, but thats really the biggest downside with beeing a rangerfan. Its nothing but spoiled, egoistic, A-hole attitude from so many people around this team.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote