HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Jones and Antti Pihlstrom

Old
11-01-2008, 11:28 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
+/- is a horrible stat, it doesn't mean he's a bad defensive player.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 04:24 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
I hope he get's traded if not called up in the next month. He's an NHL-player and if Nashville doesn't need him, trade him.
Agreed. He should be playing full time in the NHL by now.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
lstcyr

Sure. Let's trade him and hope no one gets hurt on the NHL team. The Predators do what's best to protect the team not necessarily the player. If it takes another three months in Milwaukee before he gets called up, that's fine with the team.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 06:22 AM
mattihp

Is the team really doing so well that Pillu isn't needed? Still not called up...

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:33 AM
jstreet

Cal Oreilly has 16 points in 14 games, if he had any size on him at all he'd be called up, alas it is not to be.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:09 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Cal Oreilly has 16 points in 14 games, if he had any size on him at all he'd be called up, alas it is not to be.
I think being bigger would help, but he's got some speed and skating issues (like his little brother) that are also keeping him out of the NHL, IMO. I could see Spaling, Thuresson, and possibly Mike Santorelli all called up before O'Reilly.

If a forward goes down for more than a week, Pilhström is on the next plane to Nashville. Otherwise, I really don't see him being called up. I would sure as hell take him over Fiddler, Smithson or Peverley, but we just don't have the room with all those waiver-eligible contracts, and the org seems content with Hörnqvist and Jones on the roster. Poile hates to lose assets and we don't have the additional depth in Milwaukee to risk putting Peverley or Ward on waivers just to call up Pilhström.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If a forward goes down for more than a week, Pilhström is on the next plane to Nashville. Otherwise, I really don't see him being called up. I would sure as hell take him over Fiddler, Smithson or Peverley, but we just don't have the room with all those waiver-eligible contracts, and the org seems content with Hörnqvist and Jones on the roster. Poile hates to lose assets and we don't have the additional depth in Milwaukee to risk putting Peverley or Ward on waivers just to call up Pilhström.
Hmm...what time did that press release come out today?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Hmm...what time did that press release come out today?
So you're trying to convince us that Jed Ortmeyer is a better option at this point than Ryan Jones ? ... okay

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
DManPreds11

I really liked the way Jones was playing for us, I can see why they would send him down though. If it's for Ortmeyer then I'd say it was more for the grit that he plays with. I really would like to see Philstrom up here, I was wonder if they're thinkin about a some sort of rotation between Jones and Philstrom. What do you guys think?

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
So you're trying to convince us that Jed Ortmeyer is a better option at this point than Ryan Jones ? ... okay
Wow, over reaction...

Ortmeyer has still not yet been cleared to practice. He will not be activated for quite a while still and not until he is ready to play in games.

This move was to allow the team to get some flexibility. It is no secret that the team has been wanting to recall Sulzer from Milwaukee and also has been struggling to get Tarnasky (sadly, our enforcer) and Peverley into the lineup. This move allows both to get into the lineup and puts the pressure on everyone remaining on the NHL roster to shape up or get shipped out.

We now have flexibility with our roster. Jones and Hornqvist will get top minutes in Milwaukee to show if they are ready to take bigger roles in Nashville and gain confidence in their play. Sulzer will probably be recalled with one of those spots and we will see a trade in the next week for at least one of our defensemen and a roster forward if Hornqvist and Jones prove that they have no business playing in Milwaukee.

It is a confusing, head-scratching move...but ultimately one that allows us to keep all of our assets and finally gives Poile some flexibility to tweak the roster.

Old
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Wow, over reaction...

Ortmeyer has still not yet been cleared to practice. He will not be activated for quite a while still and not until he is ready to play in games.

This move was to allow the team to get some flexibility. It is no secret that the team has been wanting to recall Sulzer from Milwaukee and also has been struggling to get Tarnasky (sadly, our enforcer) and Peverley into the lineup. This move allows both to get into the lineup and puts the pressure on everyone remaining on the NHL roster to shape up or get shipped out.

We now have flexibility with our roster. Jones and Hornqvist will get top minutes in Milwaukee to show if they are ready to take bigger roles in Nashville and gain confidence in their play. Sulzer will probably be recalled with one of those spots and we will see a trade in the next week for at least one of our defensemen and a roster forward if Hornqvist and Jones prove that they have no business playing in Milwaukee.

It is a confusing, head-scratching move...but ultimately one that allows us to keep all of our assets and finally gives Poile some flexibility to tweak the roster.
that's about as analytical as you can get without calling me a dumbass or moron ... bravo, I just thought that Jones deserved more time, but I guess Sulzer IS ready, god I sure hope so, because that anchor (Greg the Pylon) on the backend is making us struggle right now

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
.....Trying not to......don't do it.......ahhh......MORON!!!!......somebody had to

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:01 PM
ElRey

Just a thought...

I agree. DeVries is making way too much money to be having the start that he is this year. With only 2 points in 18 games and a -11 rating I just dont think he has anything to offer this team anymore. As a defensive defenseman at the end of his career he has to be able keep the other team off the board on even strength and play some pk. He's obviously struggling with his game right now and I think we give this team a better chance to win with Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Koistinen, Klein, and Zanon on the blueline. Let Greg be a healthy scratch for a few games and see if he responds at practice. If not, he's got to go...As for Sulzer being called up, I think it would serve him better to allow him to continue the strong season he's having as a top pairing d-man in the AHL. Split the extra ice time between Koistinen and Klein and go with the more offensive blueline while our team is struggling to match the transition game and shot totals we're seeing against us.

ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Seth Lake

FYI, not to get WAY off-topic here...but,

DeVries has a broken nose, his eyes were nearly swollen shut Wednesday, is sporting classic raccoon eyes, and is now wearing one of the longest half-shields I've ever seen.

Still doesn't excuse his -11 on the season before the nose though...

Old
11-21-2008, 08:16 AM
lugnut76

Just to continue the off-topic line of discussion, one has to think that DeVries dropping the gloves is a sign of him fighting to keep a roster spot. I imagine he sees the need to be contributing in every way possible, even if that means being a punching bag.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We desperately need someone who can somewhat play with Hamhuis. None of the defenseman have shown the ability to do so thus far, and Klein will not get the chance. Sulzer seems like he could fit the bill.

11-21-2008, 05:34 PM
ElRey

Ugh...

It just pains me to see DeVries log over 19 mins a game while Klein ( 10 mins ) and Koistinen ( 14 mins ) get the shaft. I would like to see these guys at least be given a chance to prove they still have a place on this team. Because I honestly believe that right now they do. Now as for when Blum comes along well...don't even get me started on Blum.

ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 04:52 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
Just to continue the off-topic line of discussion, one has to think that DeVries dropping the gloves is a sign of him fighting to keep a roster spot. I imagine he sees the need to be contributing in every way possible, even if that means being a punching bag.
Great point but that last note was just wrong . When they fought in the second I thought... ya know, maybe it was just one of those rare times. In the 3rd though I was like when did we get Cote back, go down DeVires............ no not just your head your whole BODY, didn't you watch how Nichol just did it?

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote