HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers may be in a lot of cap trouble soon - Cap Going Down to 55M

Old
11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Rangers may be in a lot of cap trouble soon - Cap Going Down to 55M

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2566...headlines_main

Gomez,Captain and Hank will equal 1/2 the cap lol

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:29 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

uh oh spaghetti o's

not to mention that we have rozsival and redden locked up to huge deals as well.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Rosy will get das boot.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

There's a salary cap???

somebody better phone and tell Sather

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:34 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Rozsival will be enjoying his stay in Hartford, I guess!

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:43 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Why are we going to be in cap trouble? The cap will be about 55 million next season. We have about that in salary right now.

Its only going down 1.5 million.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
With 24 teams over the hypothetical $48m cap

Are you reading the article? The cap will not drop anymore than a million or two, if at all. The players will be losing money, but there will be little effect on the team, and who they can retain.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Are you reading the article? The cap will not drop anymore than a million or two, if at all. The players will be losing money, but there will be little effect on the team, and who they can retain.
Heh, oops. I was going by the same exact topic on the main forum. I'm an idiot.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I bet all my v-cash says the Cap goes up this off-season. I do have a feeling the NHL will end up disassembling from the CBA, if it does indeed go down, which will hurt 24 of 30 teams.

Old
11-20-2008, 10:28 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I bet all my v-cash says the Cap goes up this off-season. I do have a feeling the NHL will end up disassembling from the CBA, if it does indeed go down, which will hurt 24 of 30 teams.
OMG NOT THE VCASH!!!!!!!

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
OMG NOT THE VCASH!!!!!!!
what else am I supposed to bet, may I ask you?

Old
11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
drewcon40

How many years are left on the current CBA? I thought it was a 6 year agreement and we are in year 4 of it. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:16 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
The Looney hit 79 cents on the dollar yesterday. If it goes much lower, it will singlehandidly drag the cap down. The only solace for the Rangers is that 10-12 teams will be in the same boatr.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:48 PM
The Thomas J.*

No new Free agents in the near future for the Rangers.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:36 AM
SaveByLundqvist

I was actually talking about this to my buddy today ... not to add on to the Rozsival bashing but he has to be the odd man out ... we got 11 million wrapped up in Redden and Rozy when we got so many good young d coming up(Dizzy and Bobbysangs) plus Girardi and Staal have been more reliable in my opinion and when the times comes we're gonna need to resign them. I would love to see something along the lines of Rozsival, Prucha, ? and Future Considerations(if J-Bo resigns) for J-Bo I know that trade doesn't sound like much but Sather has pulled off some good deals before and Florida has been fleeced before... If J-Bo doesn't resign well have cleared up Rozy's terrible contract and if he does well give up some picks and have replaced Rozy with J-Bo ... win win situation

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:42 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
No new Free agents in the near future for the Rangers.

That could be a good thing, meaning no more vastly overpaid players for a while

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Only because we already have so many.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:19 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
But sometimes there are players out there who are worth the dollar.

I think this is much ado about nothing and would be surprised if the cap went down.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:25 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
No way it's going up. Canadian revenue is getting killed by exchange and there's only a couple of teams in the US that are outperforming. They won't even come close to making up for it.

Still, as long as it's not more than escrow, it doesn't have an effect. The players just get their salary reduced. NEXT YEAR, though, if things don't get better, will be ugly. Look at your sponsors on the boards, half of them are financial companies. Those Fords parked in The Rock will probably be repo'd soon... etc. STH's have already paid, they might not next year, box sales, things like that.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:32 AM
eco's bones

FWIW it brings reality back into the equation. It's been discussed before that things don't always go on an upward projection. It's simple the Rangers need to be smarter about the free agents they sign. As well teams need to be constantly developing their prospect base with the idea of 2-3 new guys with their entry level contracts every year. There may well be no extra money to give Dubinsky or Zherdev. These guys and Staal and Girardi are more important to the future of the team than Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:31 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Why are we going to be in cap trouble? The cap will be about 55 million next season. We have about that in salary right now.

Its only going down 1.5 million.
Because we will have to re-sign a couple of players, that will demand a raise? Zherdev and Dubinsky quickly comes to mind, especially Dubi that in no way will re-sign for a measly $600k. But more than half the team has a contract expiring as well. Then Staal and Girardi will be re-signed the summer after this one.
Quote:
Too late to bring us to a toilet now, we have already crapped in our pants.

And with the worst economic world crisis in a very long time, things can get even worse. This TSN article writes about... err... wth does that article say? Escrow money? Wth is that? *checks dictionary* What? Real estates and security money? What does that have to do with anything in the NHL salary cap? Does it say it will look like the franchise pay out $56.7 million in salaries, but in reality they only have to pay out $48 million?

Last edited by Chimp: 11-21-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 05:41 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
I was actually talking about this to my buddy today ... not to add on to the Rozsival bashing but he has to be the odd man out ... we got 11 million wrapped up in Redden and Rozy when we got so many good young d coming up(Dizzy and Bobbysangs) plus Girardi and Staal have been more reliable in my opinion and when the times comes we're gonna need to resign them. I would love to see something along the lines of Rozsival, Prucha, ? and Future Considerations(if J-Bo resigns) for J-Bo I know that trade doesn't sound like much but Sather has pulled off some good deals before and Florida has been fleeced before... If J-Bo doesn't resign well have cleared up Rozy's terrible contract and if he does well give up some picks and have replaced Rozy with J-Bo ... win win situation
umm how incredibly contradictory. You make the point that we cant keep roszival because of his salary. So we trade him for J-bo who is expected to make a similar salary when he re-signs? Im more intent that by next year we trade roszival preferably for a pick, prospect, or a vermette type player (talented cheap salary). And we re-sign mara, and bring potter and Sangs into the mix. Eventually Del zotto will be ready. Honestly I wouldnt mind getting rid of both redden and roszival at some point. They are not worth their contracts, and our young guys are doing just as well as they do.

Staal-Girardi
Mara-Sanguinetti
Del Zotto-Potter

Im fine with that defensive line up 2 years down the road. If someone is not ready i dont mind keeping Kalinin around until we sort things out. Just imagine what we could do with our cap if we got rid of roszival and redden. In 2 years if redden roszival naslund prucha are all off the team. That frees up more than 16 million. WIth some of the raises players will get, I think we should still have room to sign kovlachuck.

it would be fun to see
kovalchuck-Gomez-Zherdev
Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Callahan
Sjo-Betts-Orr/Fritsche

Staal-Girardi
Mara-Sanguinetti
Del Zotto-Potter

Lundqvist

I really do think that would be a cup contending line-up 2 years down the road.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 06:12 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
FWIW it brings reality back into the equation. It's been discussed before that things don't always go on an upward projection. It's simple the Rangers need to be smarter about the free agents they sign. As well teams need to be constantly developing their prospect base with the idea of 2-3 new guys with their entry level contracts every year. There may well be no extra money to give Dubinsky or Zherdev. These guys and Staal and Girardi are more important to the future of the team than Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival.
The money is there for both Zherdev and Dubinsky, not to mention Staal the following year. People are worried that Zherdev is going to want 5 million...HE ALREADY MAKES $2.3 million. Prucha comes off at season's end, and Rissmiller could end up in Hartford - voila!...$2.6 million right there. Plus, there's $750,000 in dead cap space due to the Jagr buyout. And, one the D-men, most likely Kalinin, won't be here, adding another $2.1 million in cap space. And, in two years, you've got Naslund's $4 million coming off. I'm not worried about anyone of Zherdev, Staal or Dubinsky getting signed. What the current situation means is that, unless contracts like the ones given to Rozsival and Gomez are moved, there's no flexibility to add premier free agents, so the Rangers will have to count on developing the likes of Anisimov, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto and Grachev, along with continuing to develop Zherdev, Staal, Dubinsky, Korpikoski Girardi and Callahan, to comprise the core. In addition, the Rangers are going to have to find deals like the Zherdev deal, young skilled players, who haven't quite found their game, and have fallen out of favor with their current clubs, to add more skill.

Last edited by jas: 11-21-2008 at 06:21 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 06:31 AM
SML

Sooner or later we are going to have to wake up to the reality that most NHL teams live in, one where you are forced to let a good, young, popular player in his prime walk away not because of anything he does on the ice, but because it's the right decision business wise. The endless Xmas is over. Shrewd cap managers will be the ones with successful teams in this era.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 07:24 AM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2566...headlines_main

Gomez,Captain and Hank will equal 1/2 the cap lol
You need to look at the contracts that are coming off at the end of this year and then the following year. I think we will actually be positioned very well. The salary structure of NHL teams will look very much like the NFL, minus the felons, where the star players make big bucks and the rest of the roster is filled with young players making the minimum or close to it and vets who have no leverage. That is why it was so important for Sather to structure the organization the way he has. The key, as it always has been, will be to keep the prospect pipeline open. It will actually be more important than it was before the cap era.

Look around at teams that have had barren prospect pools and have been required to spend on FAs to really create a roster and those are the teams that will be in trouble. To a certain extent we did that as well, but it was because we had prospects but they weren't ready vs not having them at all.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote