HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Sunday's game redux, Habs comeback late and win in SO

Old
11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Michel Bergeron on the antichambre went amok over the goal refused to the sens ..... pathetic.

You can't take the Nordiques out of him.

and he's right about it . The goal was good .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
I Agreed that it was a goal though IMO... Very controversial call... Gorges barely touched the puck.

He didn't call it 'cause of Gorges....he called it 'cause of Bouillon in front of the net who deflected the pass with his skate....I guess VanMess thought he had touched it with his stick as well....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
from the replays they showed it looked like he had it under his blocker, the play could easily have been stopped, not sure why they let it continue.
I didn't see it from the blocker-side angle He looked pretty clueless on the play. He also was scary in the 1st period, not in a good way.

He sure kicked major ass late in the game!

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Habs8517

wow we won while playing like a bunch of morons
guess the sens sucks more than us

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
I am surprised that yet no one mention how great Koivu was tonight . And let say that comming from me , that means a lot
It's because for everyone else we see that night after night

Old
11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
la25ecoupe

Next 5 games should be good: Boston (3), Detroit (4), Capitals (7), Buffalo (13)

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Well 1 game is not gonna mean a turning point, if it did we would have been great after the last time we beat the sens. But a wins a win and this is as good a game as any to build off of, ya gotta start somewhere.
No, one game doesn't solve everything.. but I want to see some building blocks along the way. I cant say I saw those blocks tonight... but its early.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:14 PM
hendextall

Let's look on the bright side, we were 100% on the powerplay!!!

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Kirk Muller

Still a troubling effort and lack of cohesion and chemistry.

Defensive zone coverage and breakouts are horrible. There is no forecheck and the team is sitting back trapping all night. Its weird watching last years skating, high tempo team revert back to this type of play.

Koivu and Tanguay are money. Much better without the dead weight that is Kovalev. I thought Lang and Kostitsyn boys were starting to develop chemistry the last few games only to be dismantled again and then finally reunited.

Price was stellar. Gorges and Markov were both good. Hammer was decent, Bouillon and Brisebois average and OB downright awful.

and really you can't forget Kovalev and Pleks. Pleks absolutely useless and Kovalev being Kovalev. Lazy penalty and turnovers combined with uninspired play.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
TheCH*

LOL seems like a lot of you really hate this "moral loss' tonight. But hey a moral loss still = 2 points. Thats 2 more then a moral victory!!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:22 PM
totalrecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
LOL seems like a lot of you really hate this "moral loss' tonight. But hey a moral loss still = 2 points. Thats 2 more then a moral victory!!
exactly,
Despite everything negative, it could have been worse.

Chin up everybody

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:25 PM
HotPie

Honestly, I think people are overreacting a bit about the lack of effort. The effort was there (from most of our players), it's just the execution isn't quite there yet (lack of confidence right now) and credit to the Sens, they were playing a pretty tight defensive game. Not like either team had copious quality scoring chances tonight.

We fought back for a win. It wasn't pretty, but maybe we can build on this.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendextall View Post
Let's look on the bright side, we were 100% on the powerplay!!!

We got all of one pp. What does that tell us?

To me it says we were not skating with the puck enough and making them take penalties by trying to stop us.

If you look at when our players got penalties. It was when they were trying to take the puck away from the Sens.

Seemed to me like the Sens had control of the puck more than 70 % of the game. How are we going to score more than 1 goal in the first 3/4ths of the game if they have the puck 70 % of the game or more?

How many games in the last two weeks have we played the first 3/4th of the game to have a grand total of ...1....goal? Alot.

Last edited by Kosti46: 11-20-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Maximus Taylor

Just came back from the game. Lot of habs fan there, but not much in the lower bowl.

Anyway. O'Byrne was just atrocious. Latendresse and Lang really go to stop with the "I didn't do nothing" arms in the air move. It just draws attention.

Something seemed wrong with the ice, the puck was jumping all night long.

Higgins didn't seem to at ease with Kovy.

But you know what, as bad as the Habs seem to be, the Sens are worse. Holy crap, there's nothing there. Just nothing. It's not pretty at all.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
I really don't know why goalies don't study previous shootouts a bit more, I could tell you exactly what Kovalev, Koviu, Markov and Ruutu were gonna do before they did it.
Koivu has a really good forehand deke also. If a goalie tried to cheat on Kovalev's backhand move he would eat him alive you're not gonna get away with that against Alex.

I'm sure the shooters all have plan Bs they can shift to instinctively if they see a goalie cheating on their main move.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:41 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Well I for one was pretty happy with this game. I liked how the center played closer to the D on the breakout, providing another option than the bomb pass (which has failed so much this year). Obviously that also means less odd man rushes, but we get less turn overs, which probably benefits us more at this point and time. Once the boys get their confidences back, I'm guessing we'll see more odd man rushes.

Also, I was actually happy with Kovalev tonight. Unlike most of the games so far this season, he did not seem to try to do everything on his own. That being said, Higgins really hurt that line, as often he dumped and chased the puck when either Plek or Kovalev was open for a good pass to get into the zone. Seeing that, I'd love to have Latendresse on that line. Speed might be an issue, but Guy seems to do a lot of back checking and a lot of nice (short) passes to his linesmate, which could work well with Plek and Kovalev.

Sergei played a good game. Andrei was stuck on the left again. Everytime he waas dangerous he was coming in on the right side (come on Carbo, you have to see that by now).

I loved how Price came back after his bad goal. That has been a major knock on him so far, seems to have a hard time getting his focus after giving up a softie, but tonight he was stellar.

My hero of the night though is Georges. That kid is gold. GOLD! I'd love to see him paired up with Hamrlik when Komo comes back. Let Bouillion and O'Byrne play very few minutes as the last pairing.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Well I for one was pretty happy with this game. I liked how the center played closer to the D on the breakout, providing another option than the bomb pass (which has failed so much this year). Obviously that also means less odd man rushes, but we get less turn overs, which probably benefits us more at this point and time. Once the boys get their confidences back, I'm guessing we'll see more odd man rushes.

Also, I was actually happy with Kovalev tonight. Unlike most of the games so far this season, he did not seem to try to do everything on his own. That being said, Higgins really hurt that line, as often he dumped and chased the puck when either Plek or Kovalev was open for a good pass to get into the zone. Seeing that, I'd love to have Latendresse on that line. Speed might be an issue, but Guy seems to do a lot of back checking and a lot of nice (short) passes to his linesmate, which could work well with Plek and Kovalev.

Sergei played a good game. Andrei was stuck on the left again. Everytime he waas dangerous he was coming in on the right side (come on Carbo, you have to see that by now).

I loved how Price came back after his bad goal. That has been a major knock on him so far, seems to have a hard time getting his focus after giving up a softie, but tonight he was stellar.

My hero of the night though is Georges. That kid is gold. GOLD! I'd love to see him paired up with Hamrlik when Komo comes back. Let Bouillion and O'Byrne play very few minutes as the last pairing.
Bouillon played very well tonight also. He played with Hammer at the end of the game and was pretty effective. The problem is really O'B because Bouillon and Gorges are very effective together.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:53 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

The Latendresse experiment is so over.

Would he have to go through waivers?

ILUVTHISGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:53 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Didn't see the game live, watched the highlights on NHL network's "NHL On The Fly". Price's glove hand work is much better. Very encouraging.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

Man the Habs stole 2 points, they were certainly not earned. That was some lazy uninspired hockey and the only reason they won was because the Sens are more snakebitten than the Habs.

Koivu carrying the play for the entire team, bad penalties from the weakest Habs players, Kovalev reverting to his 06-07 play. They had better get their heads on straight for Saturday or else it will be a steam rolling like we havnt seen yet. You think 6-1 was bad? That will be nothing if this team plays like that against a hot team.

Price played really well, if he can stay hot against the bruins we might actually be close at the end.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTHISGAME View Post
The Latendresse experiment is so over.

Would he have to go through waivers?
You are so wrong, so completely wrong I won't even bother to answer your question. He hauled ass all night, made hits, cleared space..... just silly to read your post.

Old
11-20-2008, 10:59 PM
neopreneur

This is what I'd like to see:

Tanguay-koivu-AK46
Lats-Pleks-Kovy
Higgins-Lang-SK74
4th line shuffle

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Gaston Therrien will say Kosty is trying to look good for russian teams scouts.
Or that he played on a line with two Quebec players.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:02 PM
JustJen

It drives me crazy that people have so much negative stuff to say after a win. Yes it clearly wasn't the best game, or even close to it, but they fought back twice to tie it up and killed off a huge PK in OT. The shootout was great to watch as well. I'll take the 2 points and I'll be very happy about it. All I can hope for is this gives the guys some confidence. I'll take an ugly win over an amazing game that ends in a loss any day.

JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Magic33

Thank god we got a win, it'll be good for the guys. Markov actually showed some emotion after his tying goal, and the guys seemed back to their old self after tanguays goal in the shootout. Confidence and chemistry are key on the road to victory. One negative though = O'Byrne. I kind of feel bad for the guy, but hes just not ready right now.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote