HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Sunday's game redux, Habs comeback late and win in SO

Old
11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
I thought Brisebois played one of his better games of the season.. he made some good outlet passes, took a few shots, had a hit, took a hit to make a play.. but that scares me for Saturday night.

Bouillon had a fantastic game.

Kovalev sucks.

Plekanec needs to get going after getting dragged down by Kovy all year.

Koivu is a beast.

Kostopoulos is also a beast.

Sergei looked better tonight, though he still needs to be grittier.

Price was shaky, but incredible in the shootout.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJen View Post
It drives me crazy that people have so much negative stuff to say after a win. Yes it clearly wasn't the best game, or even close to it, but they fought back twice to tie it up and killed off a huge PK in OT. The shootout was great to watch as well. I'll take the 2 points and I'll be very happy about it. All I can hope for is this gives the guys some confidence. I'll take an ugly win over an amazing game that ends in a loss any day.
So you'd rather have a gutless team with no work ethic that barely flukes out a win over a hard working team with less talent that gets beaten?

One has a future and one does not.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:07 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Kovalev sucks.
And you blow!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJen View Post
It drives me crazy that people have so much negative stuff to say after a win. Yes it clearly wasn't the best game, or even close to it, but they fought back twice to tie it up and killed off a huge PK in OT. The shootout was great to watch as well. I'll take the 2 points and I'll be very happy about it. All I can hope for is this gives the guys some confidence. I'll take an ugly win over an amazing game that ends in a loss any day.
if this was a once in awhile occurrence, i'd agree.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post

Latendresse needs more ice time, please!
It ain't more ice time that he needs. He needs more talent.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:21 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
So you'd rather have a gutless team with no work ethic that barely flukes out a win over a hard working team with less talent that gets beaten?

One has a future and one does not.
True... but it's not the one you think.

Excessive hyperbole aside, lack of work ethic is actually something that can be fixed. Lack of talent, I'm afraid, requires roster changes to correct.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
The talent is there, he needs to drive to the net and use his body more.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Well he has been the best fit with Tanguay and Koivu this year so in that sense, he does deserve more ice time.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopreneur View Post
This is what I'd like to see:

Tanguay-koivu-AK46
Lats-Pleks-Kovy
Higgins-Lang-SK74
4th line shuffle

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
True... but it's not the one you think.

Excessive hyperbole aside, lack of work ethic is actually something that can be fixed. Lack of talent, I'm afraid, requires roster changes to correct.
If you know how to fix a lack of work ethic you should send a fax to Gainey because that is exactly what has been plaguing this team for the last 10 years. Lack of talent probably does require a roster change but it's alot easier to make a trade than it is to motivate 23 guys for a whole season.

And when it comes down to playoffs you win with desire not skill.

Old
11-20-2008, 11:31 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
Well he has been the best fit with Tanguay and Koivu this year so in that sense, he does deserve more ice time.
I never do this but I'll make an exception this one time. I predict that by the end of next season Lats will be gone. Traded, waived or just plain told to go to Siberia and see if the Russians will give him a job driving their Zamboni or Zambonovitch or whatever they call it.

He's a floater and will always be a floater. I wanna say a fifth wheel but I'm insulting fifth wheels. I say this after he played his best game against Caroline. That was his best game. God help him

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
I never do this but I'll make an exception this one time. I predict that by the end of next season Lats will be gone. Traded, waived or just plain told to go to Siberia and see if the Russians will give him a job driving their Zamboni or Zambonovitch or whatever they call it.

He's a floater and will always be a floater. I wanna say a fifth wheel but I'm insulting fifth wheels. I say this after he played his best game against Caroline. That was his best game. God help him
If you really believe Lats played his best game against Carolina, God needs to help YOU my friend. Watch hockey.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:49 PM
m00ks

Lifeless game the first two periods. It looked like both teams were content with the 1-1 game, no one wanted to budge, get caught or make mistakes. After Ottawa's 2nd goal, urgency settled in and you see how good this team can be with momentum and a relentless work rate.

With all that said 4 points our of 6 is pretty good but they were against bottom feeder teams riddled with injuries. The schedule picks up in terms of quality of opposition and unless this team gets it together in focus and workrate, they'll get eaten alive.

Saturday vs Boston should be a revelation.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Next time you watch him count the number of seconds he posseses the puck for. You'll be lucky to get to 3.

Like I said before he does alot of things ok but he does nothing well. He really doesnt have a role and I think there are players on the farm that could take his spot.

Old
11-21-2008, 12:02 AM
David

Quote:
I think that like the scarecrow or was it the cowardly lion, he needs a heart...

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:07 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think that like the scarecrow or was it the cowardly lion, he needs a heart...
Actually it was the robot.

Old
11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Next time you watch him count the number of seconds he posseses the puck for. You'll be lucky to get to 3.

Like I said before he does alot of things ok but he does nothing well. He really doesnt have a role and I think there are players on the farm that could take his spot.
You are right, Latendresse doesn't have a role, and that's exactly the freaking problem. Lats need a role, he needs to be given one permanently. Either we make him a top line player, where he'll learn over time what is expected of him ( and you can actually tell him what to improve, since he'll be doing it every night ) or we keep moving him around like we are doing right now.

The way he's been managed, he'll never turn into anything good ( at least with us ) because he's having to adapt to something different every night ( or close to it )

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:40 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio View Post
You are right, Latendresse doesn't have a role, and that's exactly the freaking problem. Lats need a role, he needs to be given one permanently. Either we make him a top line player, where he'll learn over time what is expected of him ( and you can actually tell him what to improve, since he'll be doing it every night ) or we keep moving him around like we are doing right now.

The way he's been managed, he'll never turn into anything good ( at least with us ) because he's having to adapt to something different every night ( or close to it )
That's what happens when you try to make a roster spot for him when he doesn't deserve one on the team and this has been going on game after game for more than two years!

He's sorry ass should have been in AHL long time ago...now it's too late even to do that because he has to pass through waivers...

He was drafted as a power forward and he needs to play that...but he's gutless so he can't even mustard enough balls to go stand in front of the opposing goalie...so he's basically just taking up a roster spot where a more deserving guy should be.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:45 AM
lamp9post

Quote:

Uhh, next time you count the time anyone on this team possesses the puck, it will be for less than three seconds (unless it is Kovalev dipsy doodling in his own zone). Honestly, there isn't a player on this team that can possess the puck in the offensive zone for more than three seconds, and there are only a few in the entire league that can...so what is your point about Latendresse?

lamp9post is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
I suggets no one go read the Price thread on the main board if you don't want your IQ to drop to -5. What a bunch of idiots.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
The talent is there, he needs to drive to the net and use his body more.
Exactly!

Latendresse needs to use his body to get in front of the net. He has talent but not the speed to outskate a defenseman and put himself in a position to score. So let Koivu and Tanguay do the work, just get your nose dirty and drive to the net, that where he score 90% of his goals. I still dont understand why he keep insisting to dump the puck and chase it, instead he shoud give the puck to his linemates and drive to the net and wait for a rebound or a tip.

I know Latendresse has potential but he play a style that he doesnt belong too. If Latendresse wants to make himself a good reputation in this league, he needs to play more physical and drive the net anytime he has the chance. Guys like Tkachuk, Homlstrom, LUCIC doesnt have much talent but still manage to score because they use their body to place themself on the right spot. Gui is trying to be to cute with the puck. I said it and will say it again, he'll be more succesful playing with his body(physical) than his hands (skills).

Last edited by Stradale: 11-21-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Habs

Looked like the Habs of old the last 5-7 minutes, they really took it to the Sens. Great cycling down low, awesome puck support.

When the D plays with confidence the forwards are way more creative.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's what happens when you try to make a roster spot for him when he doesn't deserve one on the team and this has been going on game after game for more than two years!

He's sorry ass should have been in AHL long time ago...now it's too late even to do that because he has to pass through waivers...

He was drafted as a power forward and he needs to play that...but he's gutless so he can't even mustard enough balls to go stand in front of the opposing goalie...so he's basically just taking up a roster spot where a more deserving guy should be.
Some of you guys are way too hard on a 21 years old guy with only ( or already, depends how you see it ) two seasons in the nhl. 32 goals in two season at that age is quite impressive for a player, especially considering the little time he's played on the power play.

Power forward always takes more time to develop, he's only just now finished growing up.

If he wasn't trying to improve during the off season, I would agree he's stealing someone's place, but he did work out, he did improve his skating. He's better along the board, his foot speed has increased, he is better defensively, all he need now is to drive the net more often.

Just give him time.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:07 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Uhh, next time you count the time anyone on this team possesses the puck, it will be for less than three seconds (unless it is Kovalev dipsy doodling in his own zone). Honestly, there isn't a player on this team that can possess the puck in the offensive zone for more than three seconds, and there are only a few in the entire league that can...so what is your point about Latendresse?
The point is Lats is 230lbs 6'2 and is supposedly a playmaker. He isn't a dipsy doodler so he should be incredibly strong on the puck but he isn't. With that size he should be throwing his weight around in the corners or tipping shots in front of the net but he doesnt do either. When Lats goes into the corner to get the puck he usually ends up sitting on the ice without the puck.

You can't have a guy this big and slow afraid to hold onto the puck, that makes him almost useless. He doesn't even have a accurate enough shot to be a sniper so what is Lats role on this team?

How long before the baby sitting ends?

Old
11-21-2008, 01:32 AM
madbox

Rarely is a game perfect but man do I miss feeling satisfied after one. This team still leaves so much to be desired and I just don't get it. Sixty minutes. Hard work. Forecheck. Connecting on passes. Team speed. Oh heh scoring, HELLO?? I'd say clearing the zone but hell that's always been a problem.
Nonstopoulos was a freak out there, I can't hold it against him for Carbo putting him on offensive lines relied upon for scoring. Which btw, he really needs to stop doing. Didn't work with Saku either. It's not TK's role.

The obstruction tonight was ridiculous, started with Gorges right off the bat on a Canadiens three on two and never stopped. Sens can complain all they want, they still got their PP's, they still got their lead at which point even I thought the game was over. It's been easy shutting us down.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote