HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Byrne

Old
11-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Haddock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I didn't particularly liked him in the preseason, but how about Henry? Though he would be my #6. Or you live and die with Weber (though he's not ready defensively...) and use him on the PP....
Mathias Brunet had an article in today's edition pf La Presse discussing the Bulldogs' players with their gm, Julien Brisebois. They talked about every high profile prospects and when they discussed defense, Brisebois mentionned Alex Henry's and the fact that his one-hundred-thirty-something games experience in the NHL might see him go up to Montréal before Weber or Carle. If someone has Gainey's ear, it's him.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Not easy for a rookie to play with a team that plays as badly as this one.

If players feeds on the confidence of others.. I can't even begin to imagine how a rookie feels when everyone around him as about.. well, none.

Give the kid a break, you just can't judge a player considering the way this team play right now, we'll see at the end of the season.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Donkeyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio View Post

If players feeds on the confidence of others.. I can't even begin to imagine how a rookie feels when everyone around him as about.. well, none.

Give the kid a break, you just can't judge a player considering the way this team play right now, we'll see at the end of the season.
I agree. Give the guy, and the entire team, some time and some faith. The Habs haven't suddenly & magically lost their skills since last year; they just need to find their groove.

O'Byrne still is a work in progress; in his 1st year, I remember Komisarek's play, and it wasn't always pretty. The entire team seems to lack confidence, nobody seems to want the puck. Tonight, even Hamrlik, who's usually a rock on D, was running around like a chicken with no head.

I'm happy that Carbo is giving O'Byrne ice time to get used to the NHL level of play; he needs that time to improve and the Canadiens need to see him play to evaluate his value appropriately. You can't judge a young D while he hasn't completed an entire season.

And, even though tonight's game was ugly (to say the least), Habs still got 2 points !

Last edited by Donkeyz: 11-21-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio View Post

That doesnt excuse his numerous icing,turnovers, penalties and delay of game penalties. Gorges is way ahead of him and both has the same age playing in the same struggling team.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
That doesnt excuse his numerous icing,turnovers, penalties and delay of game penalties. Gorges is way ahead of him and both has the same age playing in the same struggling team.
It doesn't give any excuses, it only explain how a players come from bad to worse. Remember however that Gorges has 183 games played in the NHL while O'byrne has only 48.

I'm not saying O'byrne has been great or anything like that, I'm only saying that people need to stop being so hard on him and need to wait a bit more before judging him as a "piece of garbage that should not be playing in the NHL".

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:33 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Gorges has experience, he's starting his 4th year... O'byrne has none, starting his 1st year...

Let's not forget when Gorges was traded and started to play for us... and he did have experience at that time...

If Gorges is way ahead of him at the same age (and he is) it may be cause some coach was ready to live with his rookie mistakes on a daily basis... you know...

not his fault we have no better than a rookie to play 4th D right now...

Just hope when Komisarek's back that he and Gorges are switched so he can keep gaining experience on the 3rd pair playing 5 to 10 minutes a game... without costing us too much.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Stradale

I dont think he gets that much heat. Maybe from here but not all that much on the media. The Kostitsyn brothers bashing from the media is way worse compared to Obyrne.

Old
11-21-2008, 01:52 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I dont think he gets that much heat. Maybe from here but not all that much on the media. The Kostitsyn brothers bashing from the media is way worse compared to Obyrne.
true, it's mostly here.

Old
11-21-2008, 01:55 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Gorges has experience, he's starting his 4th year... O'byrne has none, starting his 1st year...
Let's also not forget how horrible was Gorges when we first acquired him. I think he was -2 on his first 2 shifts in Montreal. He was all lost on the ice, which is why some people called him "Curious Gorges". He was as bad as O'Byrne right now, but he slowly gained confidence midway last season. As for O'B, I've not seen ANY improvement and he doesn't have any upside.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:19 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Let's also not forget how horrible was Gorges when we first acquired him. I think he was -2 on his first 2 shifts in Montreal. He was all lost on the ice, which is why some people called him "Curious Gorges". He was as bad as O'Byrne right now, but he slowly gained confidence midway last season. As for O'B, I've not seen ANY improvement and he doesn't have any upside.
took over a year to see something interesting from Gorges, think we can wait another 10/20 games to see if O'Byrne can improve (even a little)

Old
11-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
took over a year to see something interesting from Gorges, think we can wait another 10/20 games to see if O'Byrne can improve (even a little)
But the thing is... he was doing a decent job last season. He is actually more on a downhill than showing any improvements over last year.

Old
11-21-2008, 02:54 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
But the thing is... he was doing a decent job last season. He is actually more on a downhill than showing any improvements over last year.
Ups and Downs, that's how it goes with rookies usually... and he's on a down right now.

If anything though, Carbonneau could really help him (and the team) by playing him on the 3rd pair, seeing how Gorges is the one used on the 1st pair when Komisarek's injured (like last year) it's obvious O'Byrne is not the 4th D, so let's use him like a 6th D, that what he is right now anyway... IF he improves then you put him back with Hamrlik. If he doesnt improve, well at least he doesnt cost you as much

Old
11-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Joe Cole

He sux because RDS tells me so.

The guy is developing into a good, large, mobile defenceman. He makes less mistakes with every pasing game.

There is not one D in Hamilton which could step into the role that he is playing right now.

Unglue your hands from the panic button.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
A 6'5" mobile D-man who used to have a very solid first pass has no upside? None?? Are you out of your freaking mind?

But, yes god does he ever suck right now.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:32 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
He sux because RDS tells me so.

The guy is developing into a good, large, mobile defenceman. He makes less mistakes with every pasing game.

There is not one D in Hamilton which could step into the role that he is playing right now.

Unglue your hands from the panic button.
No he doesn't...

Gorges wasn't good nor did Komi at their Beginning, but they weren't taking stupid penalities at the worst possible time nor were they on the ice for most of the winning goals against.

I've been very patient with O'Byrne... I still think he can be a good defensive d-man, but right now, he's absolutely useless and a danger each time he's on the ice. He needs to go to the Press box and possibly in Hamilton, if he doesn't have to go threw waivers... Komisarek injurie, in that matter, couldn't come at a worst time.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Joe Cole

We'll agree to disagree.

I think you may have forgotten Komi's first year.... and Gorges first year was with the Sharks.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
O'Byrne is a big Teddy Bear who has zero toughness. This guy doesn't have a mean streak and never will. At best, if he learns how to play defense, he'll become the second coming of Peter Popovic.
There's a blast from the miserable past. If only he had been as good at defending the front of the net as he was at defending his soft play to critics -- he said once that playing mean just wasn't his game, and that, basically, the team should just accept it. Yikes. Thanks Pete.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

nice goal man.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I hope he makes it out of the Bell Centre alive.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:08 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins 21 View Post
I hope he makes it out of the Bell Centre alive.
I don't

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

at the fans chanting O'Byrne.

Old
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Is this the thread where we say who should be in Hamilton?

Because if it is, Sergei Kostitsyn...
What?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:18 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hey I feel sorry for the kid. He hadn't played bad tonight at all. That was just a total fluke. Now everybody wants to ship him to Hamilton. Good grief get a grip.

We totally outplayed those guys and failed to finish. And once again failed to score in the shootout. lots of missed opportunities. That should have been a fluke 3rd goal with us winning 6 to 3

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

he's useless imo. But I do feel bad for him.

Old
11-24-2008, 10:21 PM
LeMAD

The guy will be a good player. Just zero confidence right now.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote