HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Would You Let MacTavish Coach Your Team?

View Poll Results: Would you let MacTavish coach your team?
Yes 40 31.75%
No 86 68.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
What are you? His son?

You've said nothing worthwhile to actually debate why MacTavish is a good coach.
He develops young players well, see Jarret Stoll, Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky, etc, etc.

He's a very good playoff coach and can game plan very well.

He's a good coach, the reason for this poll, though, was to ridicule him, which is ****ing Ridiculous.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He develops young players well, see Jarret Stoll, Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky, etc, etc.

He's a good coach, the reason for this poll, though, was to ridicule him, which is ****ing Ridiculous.
Im sorry, but I don't think you can give MacTavish all the praise for 'developing' those players. First of all, None of those players have yet to live up to there true potential. Second, you throw "etc... etc.." to help your argument, but there really is no etc etc. Third, just because a player makes the team and plays decent, doesn't mean the coach is to be praised for that. Should Denis Savard get all the praise for Kane, Toews, Byfuglien, "etc etc..." on there first year success...

With your argument, any coach in the league should be given credit for developing his player if they play on the roster

So i guess following your logic, a coach should be given blame for players that weren't so good, and could be considered busts by many, or players who are never going to live up to expectations...

So for MacTavish.... Shremp, Penner, Smid, Torres, Lupul, MA Bergeron, Pitkanen...(While they were in Edmonton) ETC ETC...

Your 2nd reason, He took his team to the finals once, and only once has he got past the first round and that was the year... i don't think you can give him the praise for that... it was really key impact players and chemistry among the players that caused Edmonton to go far... (Roloson, Pronger, Smyth, etc)... He has only taken them to the playoffs 3 times in like 7 or 8 seasons... in order to be a good playoff coach, you need to be a good coach that can take there team to the playoffs.

Your 3rd reason as to why he is a good coach, is not even a reason... "He is a good coach... this poll is to ridicule him"...

Epic Fail

Last edited by Michael Scott*: 11-20-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave Sidney Alone View Post
Im sorry, but I don't think you can give MacTavish all the praise for 'developing' those players. First of all, None of those players have yet to live up to there true potential. Second, you throw "etc... etc.." to help your argument, but there really is no etc etc. Third, just because a player makes the team and plays decent, doesn't mean the coach is to be praised for that. Should Denis Savard get all the praise for Kane, Toews, Byfuglien, "etc etc..." on there first year success...

With your argument, any coach in the league should be given credit for developing his player if they play on the roster

So i guess following your logic, a coach should be given blame for players that weren't so good, and could be considered busts by many, or players who are never going to live up to expectations...

So for MacTavish.... Shremp, Penner, Smid, Torres, Lupul, MA Bergeron, Pitkanen... ETC ETC...

Ok then, as long as you're sure about that. I mean don't actually look at think, just react because of mistake preconceived notion about MacTavish and his coaching. He's good with Young Players who listen and earn their spot.

And by develop I mean turn into complete NHLers.

Old
11-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
Ok then, as long as you're sure about that. I mean don't actually look at think, just react because of mistake preconceived notion about MacTavish and his coaching. He's good with Young Players who listen and earn their spot.
And by develop I mean turn into complete NHLers.
Isn't it a coaches job to try and get the best out of every player? and when they are acting like d-bags, the coach needs to do something.

EX. Phil Kessel, kid was acting up near the end of last year, and Julien even scratched him for playoff games, and Kessel got his act together because Julien straighted him out.

The fact that MacTavish can't get anything out of a player(s) who "won't listen to him"... shows that he is not a very good coach.

Try Again.

Old
11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
And Oilers fans hate of Craig MacTavish has reach a ridiculously retarded level, wow. Stop being stupid about this. If you don't like him as a coach, that's ok, but don't be stupid about the way you go about it.
And looks like your love for MacTavish has reached a ridiculously asinine level... wow.

Just because your in love with him, doesn't mean you have to give preposterous reasons to why he is a good coach...

Old
11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
I'd rather have Nick Kypreos coach my team.
Please, there's no need to be vulgar.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
And looks like your love for MacTavish has reached a ridiculously asinine level... wow.

Just because your in love with him, doesn't mean you have to give preposterous reasons to why he is a good coach...
What Love, because I say things that are true and don't just **** all over him? He is a good coach, there's no question about that. Good coaches can be fired though, that's not unrealistic.

He is a good coach beyond the reason I listed, but hey don't let me stop your delusion.

Old
11-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Declassified

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
What are you? His son?

You've said nothing worthwhile to actually debate why MacTavish is a good coach.
neither have you.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Isn't it a coaches job to try and get the best out of every player? and when they are acting like d-bags, the coach needs to do something.

EX. Phil Kessel, kid was acting up near the end of last year, and Julien even scratched him for playoff games, and Kessel got his act together because Julien straighted him out.

The fact that MacTavish can't get anything out of a player(s) who "won't listen to him"... shows that he is not a very good coach.

Try Again.
You mean like MacTavish did with Robert Nilsson last season? Or like he seemed to have done with Dustin Penner. How he brought Shawn Horcoff along to be a the #1 center on the team and a very effective player. Or how he did with Ales Hemsky turning him into a complete player who's defensive play is strong and even helped to enstill some leadership in him.

Stop being ridiculous. If Rob Schremp earned a spot on the team, he would be on the team, he hasn't so he's not. Stop treating him like a tragic hero.

Old
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I like him and think he's a good coach, but it's time for a change in direction in Edmonton.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
And Oilers fans hate of Craig MacTavish has reach a ridiculously retarded level, wow. Stop being stupid about this. If you don't like him as a coach, that's ok, but don't be stupid about the way you go about it.
Wow, that sounds like great advice, Jimmi. So you've learned a lot since last year when you were bashing the coach that guided Team Canada to a gold at the world juniors. And what did you bash him about? His choice to put Steve Mason in net. Yep, the same guy who was named goalie and won MVP honours.

Seriously, it is nice to see that you learned from that experience.

Although you were wrong about Mason, you might have had a point about Hartsburg if Ottawa's woes this year are any indication. Sorry, Sens fans.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Wow, that sounds like great advice, Jimmi. So you've learned a lot since last year when you were bashing the coach that guided Team Canada to a gold at the world juniors. And what did you bash him about? His choice to put Steve Mason in net. Yep, the same guy who was named goalie and won MVP honours.

Seriously, it is nice to see that you learned from that experience.

Although you were wrong about Mason, you might have had a point about Hartsburg if Ottawa's woes this year are any indication. Sorry, Sens fans.
Because Ottawa is tearing it up, right?

Hey good for him they won. I think they won inspite of his presense, but hey that's just me. They won, so I guess I do sort of have to give him a mild amount of credit though.

Yes, the guy who was named MVP, because there were no other choices, because no one else stood out and he was in net for wins, good for him.

I didn't like what Hartsburg did at the WJHC and it's clear he's not doing a good job with the Sens. But hey, you just keep on keepin' on.

Old
11-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Michael Scott*

Craig Macavish is a good coach because Jimmi Jenkins says so.

/thread closed

Old
11-20-2008, 01:21 PM
ca phe sua da
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 1087
Quote:

Do you know what's **** Ridiculous? I'm one of the biggest MacTavish supporters and the reason I started this thread was to prove that around the NHL he isn't considered a bad coach... only in Oiler land is he considered stupid.

Too bad the other bitter Oiler fans raided this thread. I'd rather have seen the results if other Oiler fans were not able to vote

ca phe sua da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
He does coach my team right now. I think he is alright just been with Edmonton too long!

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
neither have you.
I wasn't taking a side.

I just stumbled upon this thread and saw somebody using the lame "anyone who disagrees with me is stupid" method of conversing.

I do however think many Oilers fans are in love with him for the sole reason of that improbable run to the finals and have thus overrated him based on one season behind the bench instead of 7-8. The truth is that other than that season he really hasn't accomplished anything and if it weren't for Lowe he'd probably be canned by now.

Additionally, I really didn't like what he did to Penner in the media, as well. Say these brutally harsh things in a one-on-one conversation, face-to-face. Don't go out there and throw him under the bus for the entire Canadian media to pick up and report on.

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Jag68Sid87

My Saturday afternoon ball hockey league team? Sure. But we pretty much coach ourselves.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I say no but only because I think Carbo is a better coach. I don't think mactavish is a bad coach by any means. He is really good at developing players. The problem with Edmonton is not their coach, it is the guy calling the shots upstairs.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Matador

He isn't that bad, but he does have his faults.
-His PP is static and uninspiring
-Plays players out of position often
-Slow starts (is that the coaches fault or the players?)

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Wheatking

Quote:

So for MacTavish.... Shremp, Penner, Smid, Torres, Lupul, MA Bergeron, Pitkanen...(While they were in Edmonton) ETC ETC...

Your 2nd reason, He took his team to the finals once, and only once has he got past the first round and that was the year... i don't think you can give him the praise for that... it was really key impact players and chemistry among the players that caused Edmonton to go far... (Roloson, Pronger, Smyth, etc)... He has only taken them to the playoffs 3 times in like 7 or 8 seasons... in order to be a good playoff coach, you need to be a good coach that can take there team to the playoffs.

Your 3rd reason as to why he is a good coach, is not even a reason... "He is a good coach... this poll is to ridicule him"...

Epic Fail
You're right. When Horcoff was taken in the 4th round in 1999 he was slated to be a 90 point player. Unfortunately the guy that wasn't even a point per game player in his college career has become one of the better 2-way centermen in the NHL. What were your expectations?

Stoll had to enter the draft twice. He had the rep of a cocky kid with some leadership skills. MacT turned him into another very good 2-way centerman, an elite faceoff man and I don't know if you remember this but he had 68 points as a 23 year old. Again, what were your expectations?

As for Hemsky, the guy might end up hitting 90 points this season. He got of to a slow start but now has 14 points in his last 11 games. You must have been one of the guys that thought Hemsky was a 110+ point player.

I love your point about the year we went to the finals. When the players suck, it's the coach. When the team is good, it's everything but the coach. I love the logic there. Maybe the team that MacT took to the finals was really the only good team he's ever been given? Lets also not forget that he completely out coached Babock, Wilson and Carlyle in 2006...but Pronger and Roloson get all the credit because that's what works for your argument. Even the most anti-MacT Oilers fan will give him credit for our run to the finals. This may be his 9th season as coach but look at the pre-salary cap teams he had to coach. He has always done a decent job with the team he's been given.

BTW...
Schremp: Gagner, Nilsson and Cogliano
Penner: I guess it was MacT that force fed him donuts in the offseason
Smid: He's 22 years old and has been pretty good. I don't know what you're talking about.
Torres: Is it MacT's fault that he's has 0 goals and 2 points under Hitchcock.
Lupul: Couldn't play in front of his home crowd. MacT played him with everyone and he never got going.
MA Bergeron: He wasn't even drafted. It's amazing he did as well as he did.
Pitkanen: He played basically the whole season hurt and had been on a steady decline before coming to Edmonton.

If you really knew anything about MacT you would be criticizing his system, not his development of players.

Last edited by Wheatking: 11-20-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Guy Carbonneau coaches my team.

Guy Carbonneau.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Not that I hate on MacT that badly, but we have a far superior coach in Vancouver - have no interest in replacing Vigneault.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Heist

Yes, but I wish I could trade some of the fans of my team.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Nope.
I hate what he's done to Garon.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins