HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Jagr eligable to return after the KHL season is over?

Old
11-21-2008, 12:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Is Jagr eligable to return after the KHL season is over?

There's been lots of talk about this fellowship between the two teams. Is it possible for Jagr to sign an NHL contract in the spring when Omsk is eliminated from their playoffs?

Could Omsk "loan" him to the Rangers?

Sather sign Jagr for whatever $$ for the playoff run and than Jagr goes back to Omsk in the Fall?

Rental'd

11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
There's been lots of talk about this fellowship between the two teams. Is it possible for Jagr to sign an NHL contract in the spring when Omsk is eliminated from their playoffs?

Could Omsk "loan" him to the Rangers?

Sather sign Jagr for whatever $$ for the playoff run and than Jagr goes back to Omsk in the Fall?

Rental'd
I don't want Jagr back.

But to answer your question. He would still be subject to the cap. And there's a deadline for when players can sign and still be eligible for the playoffs (like Strudwick two years ago).

11-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
This isn't going to happen.

Also I'm pretty sure he would have to clear waivers.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Could the two sides work something out? Sure. But I don't think either would be interested in it.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't want Jagr back.
why?

he'd also have to clear waivers

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
why?

he'd also have to clear waivers
Because the team has turned the page. And if Jagr wanted to come back he would have.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Waivers? Hes a free agent stateside no?

Ok so I'm not saying they will or should do it, but "could" they do it?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I wanted Jagr back in the offseason because it was so damn obvious that this team lacked scoring wingers, but the second it was announced he wasnt coming back signified that he would never play in the NHL again.

With that said, at this point I wouldnt want him back. It wouldnt be fair to him or the team to throw him back into NHL action in the middle of the season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
squishy

Quote:
Because the team has turned the page. And if Jagr wanted to come back he would have.
...if Slats had given him the security of a 2-year deal he would have...

Regardless, Jagr's not coming back. He's moved on, and the team's moved on.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

I've just never been a Jagr fan.

Old
11-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

Well there's a difference between wanting to come back, and wanting to come back under a certain set of conditions.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Because the team has turned the page.
so no real reason? or is there some specific reason you think it would hurt the team to turn the page back?

I know there's zero chance of it happening, but if there were I would be all over it. I've noticed that Ryan Callahan is playing RW on the top line.

Old
11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Well there's a difference between wanting to come back, and wanting to come back under a certain set of conditions.
there's also a difference between wanting to come back and wanting to come back under any conditions.

Old
11-21-2008, 01:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
so no real reason? or is there some specific reason you think it would hurt the team to turn the page back?

I know there's zero chance of it happening, but if there were I would be all over it. I've noticed that Ryan Callahan is playing RW on the top line.

Because the entire team was based around whatever would get Jagr going. Because Jagr's production has decreased every year since he had his record season here. Because I believe that this team is going to get better as the year progresses and adding Jagr would be a step back. Because he's going to be 37. Because I've never seen an elite player who could only play as such under certain condition.

Old
11-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Because the entire team was based around whatever would get Jagr going. Because Jagr's production has decreased every year since he had his record season here. Because I believe that this team is going to get better as the year progresses and adding Jagr would be a step back. Because he's going to be 37.
I think a lot of people were obsessed with blaming the PP's woes on Jagr while he was here. Now, you can see that it had very little to do with Jagr. In fact, at least we had a BONAFIDE goalscorer on our PP then, as opposed to what we have now.

Jagr won't ever be a Ranger again, but hypothetically speaking I can't say that adding him to the current roster would be a step back, no way. Jagr and Dubi reunited? Sign me up. As for Jagr's production decreasing, yeah, but he is still capable of putting up 70-80 points. I'd take that ANY DAY. And maybe he'd make this team a little more exciting to watch.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
I think a lot of people were obsessed with blaming the PP's woes on Jagr while he was here. Now, you can see that it had very little to do with Jagr. In fact, at least we had a BONAFIDE goalscorer on our PP then, as opposed to what we have now.

Jagr won't ever be a Ranger again, but hypothetically speaking I can't say that adding him to the current roster would be a step back, no way. Jagr and Dubi reunited? Sign me up. As for Jagr's production decreasing, yeah, but he is still capable of putting up 70-80 points. I'd take that ANY DAY. And maybe he'd make this team a little more exciting to watch.
I never mentioned the power play.

Old
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
I don't want Jagr back.

But to answer your question. He would still be subject to the cap. And there's a deadline for when players can sign and still be eligible for the playoffs (like Strudwick two years ago).

Exactly. Why would we want him back? It's a step backwards aka in the WRONG direction.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Because the entire team was based around whatever would get Jagr going. Because Jagr's production has decreased every year since he had his record season here. Because I believe that this team is going to get better as the year progresses and adding Jagr would be a step back. Because he's going to be 37. Because I've never seen an elite player who could only play as such under certain condition.
That's what I was referring to, and also, my entire post wasn't directly in response to only you.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Well they could do nothing at the deadline or they could trade assets for a playoff upgrade.

Jagr was great in the playoffs, and he'd cost nothing but cap.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
and now the team is based around getting Drury and gomez going. I'd rather take my chances with Jagr than Drury or Gomez.

Drury and Gomez (especially Gomez) needs to have very certain conditions, and players (the same way Jagr does) to succeed as well. In fact I think the Gomez needs more to succeed than Jagr does. Same w/ Drury. Each of those players you need a bonafide star on their line to carry them. Jagr all you need is competent, players who can play a puck possesion game, and stay out of his way.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
and now the team is based around getting Drury and gomez going. I'd rather take my chances with Jagr than Drury or Gomez.

Drury and Gomez (especially Gomez) needs to have very certain conditions, and players (the same way Jagr does) to succeed as well. In fact I think the Gomez needs more to succeed than Jagr does. Same w/ Drury. Each of those players you need a bonafide star on their line to carry them. Jagr all you need is competent, players who can play a puck possesion game, and stay out of his way.
You're comparing what you call a second line center to an elite player. Don't see a problem there?

Old
11-21-2008, 01:55 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
You're comparing what you call a second line center to an elite player. Don't see a problem there?
the only problem I see is people saying we would be worse off w/ Jagr for half a season? It's the same as saying we would be worse off signing Sundin for half a season?

I don't understand how we would be worse off. We would have a legitmate player on the team. One who is hungry to win. One who can score. One who can CARRY a team.

People on these boards think WAY to highly of Drury and Gomez. They are good players, but not the players to build a team around. They need better talent around them to succeed, and shine. Also to take pressure off of them. Unfortunately we have 0 cap space for these players b/c of their and our 2 dmens salaries. So if we want to be serious about a cup run, and can find a way to get Jagr to play (almost impossible) y in the world wouldn't we take.

and how in the world is that a step backward if it is a deal that ends at the end of the season? signing Jagr to a 6 year $7mil per season deal would be a step backward. Signing Jagr to a 1 yr whatever the amount deal, would be a step forward short term, and have very little effect long term. Maybe we have to waive a player or two to get extra space say Prucha, Rissmiller. big deal.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
eph1413*

Not sure of the deadline, might even be January 1st or December 15th (not sure), but anybody NOT under K with an NHL team by then must clear waivers to play in the NHL if coming from a European league. IF you have been loaned to a European team and have an NHL K, waivers aren't necessary.
Example, Carl Soderberg could join the Bruins after the Swedish season without waivers (but I don't think he's ever coming over), while Jagr would have to clear unless he has a huge change of heart in the next month that Omsk is cool with.
On the topic, I can't understand comments from this board saying they were never fans of Jagr. I think I remember him almost singlehandely bringing your team back to the playoffs for the 1st time in 9-10 years then getting screwed out of the MVP award. I understand not wanting him this year, but NEVER a fan? Not a rangers fan but I thought he was good for the Rangers and the NHL in 05-06 after the lockout. I like characters in this league and my favorite city and I like Jags in NY.

Last edited by eph1413*: 11-21-2008 at 02:24 PM.
eph1413* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:22 PM
JamesG1221

Jagr on this team changes the entire dynamic. More importantly it changes this team which while flawed shows some very positive signs back to a Jagr style team which proved to be unsuccessful for 3 years.

Jagr showed that he couldn't play with Drury or Gomez and he was the anchor and public enemy #1 on the PP which may still be struggling because he left his mark.
Don't get me wrong he's still JAGR but he just doesn't fit with the team they've build here. It's a step backwards. This is Drury and Gomer's team now. bringing Jagr back only throws a monkey wrench into the situation. And since he's not a good fit with our two star centers, there's no way he helps improve the chemistry on the ice. Which means not much more offense- thus he doesn't fix one of the current problems with this team.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
Jagr on this team changes the entire dynamic. More importantly it changes this team which while flawed shows some very positive signs back to a Jagr style team which proved to be unsuccessful for 3 years.

Jagr showed that he couldn't play with Drury or Gomez and he was the anchor and public enemy #1 on the PP which may still be struggling because he left his mark.
Don't get me wrong he's still JAGR but he just doesn't fit with the team they've build here. It's a step backwards. This is Drury and Gomer's team now. bringing Jagr back only throws a monkey wrench into the situation. And since he's not a good fit with our two star centers, there's no way he helps improve the chemistry on the ice. Which means not much more offense- thus he doesn't fix one of the current problems with this team.
I agree. He's not the missing piece. He's his own entirely different piece all together, and if you think Jagr coming back wouldnt be baggage on and off the ice you just dont know the situation very well.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote