HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Steve Sullivan

Old
11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
KingSundin

vCash: 500
Steve Sullivan

Does anyone knows what's happening with this guy? Is he coming back this year or if at all? I know he had back surgery and is out but does anyone know for how long?

KingSundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
Does anyone knows what's happening with this guy? Is he coming back this year or if at all? I know he had back surgery and is out but does anyone know for how long?
he's probably done for good

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

December seems to be the special month for him. He didn't come back last December, so they are hoping he returns this December!

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:51 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag gggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He is finished. From all reports, his surgeries were not the cure-all they had hoped for, and he has not regained the physical abilities he needs to continue to play.

11-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Pachyderm I

How sad. I love Sully.

Pachyderm I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

This is the lastest news I've heard about Sullivan. It doesn't sound great, but it's better than no improvement at all.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...811300407/1028

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:57 AM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
This is the lastest news I've heard about Sullivan. It doesn't sound great, but it's better than no improvement at all.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...811300407/1028

They have been saying he is getting better for the last 2 years. There are always reports he is almost ready to go - then we read another that says he can't even play with his kids in the back yard b/c back pain.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:40 AM
AVE MAN

http://tennessean.com/article/200812...19/1002/SPORTS

Looks like Sullivan is getting ready to practice with the team. There has been no set backs.
That's Great News!!!

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:39 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
http://tennessean.com/article/200812...19/1002/SPORTS

Looks like Sullivan is getting ready to practice with the team. There has been no set backs.
That's Great News!!!
I love showing that article to unknowing Bj's fans to get them to go emo and start cutting themselves. In all honesty, I think he gets back into a game, is not effective, and is out as soon as he came in. I can't question his determination though.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'll believe it when I see it.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:13 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.
DITTO

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 03:51 PM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
still wish the guy all the luck in getting back on the ice.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Predators forward Steve Sullivan is participating in a full team practice today, his first since suffering a back injury in February of 2007.

Sullivan had participated in a morning skate with a handful of teammates a couple of weeks ago, but the full practice appears to be another step in his recovery process. Sullivan has collected 158 points in 150 games as a Predator.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...17/1002/SPORTS

And I almost went to practice this morning and decided against it at the last minute...

Will be interesting to see if he is at practice tomorrow or whether or not he either takes the day off to rest or experiences any setbacks.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It looks like this may happen, but I refuse to get my hopes up. Regardless of whether or not he makes it on the ice or not, he could go down again at any time (and probably will unfortunately).

Old
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Im not getting my hopes up. If he takes the ice for a regular shift I will start to dream a little.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:49 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
his returning is about like hampton's return to the braves last season...it'd be niced if it happened, probably won't, and anything we get out of him is a bonus.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
his returning is about like hampton's return to the braves last season...it'd be niced if it happened, probably won't, and anything we get out of him is a bonus.
Great comparison

Old
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Seth Lake

Sully was the first person on the ice this morning at practice and stayed throughout the entire workout. A great sign to see that he was back on the ice again this morning after going through the practice yesterday.

Participated in about 40% of the drills overall. Wearing a red jersey (meaning no contact), didn't partake in drills involving battle along the boards or in the corners. Rotated through on defense actually throughout the first half of practice (only 7 d - Ville still the odd man out) and looked to be moving pretty well. Made good outlet passes, however his shot was on the weakside and he couldn't hit the net from the point with great accuracy, but those things hopefully will come with more practice. Actually didn't look bad on defense, obviously wasn't playing the body (Arnott and he were having quite the laugh about it in front of the net daring each other), but made several nice plays using his smarts and skating ability to block passing lanes and breakup several plays.

Sully kept ramping up his strength behind his point shots as the drills progressed, but I noticed that he still wasn't really leaning into his slap shots (ie: keeping his body weight down throughout the windup and release, hitting the stick about an inch behind the puck) and I can only assume that is due to the torque that is generated on your back/spine when shooting a full bore slapper.

Pretty much had to sit out the second half of practice as it involved all battle drills that he is not ready for, however towards the end of practice Sully rotated in on the PK against PP2 and really showed me at least that he isn't out of practice moving around in the box. Sully used full stops and starts to manuever and showed a good first step in what I think was his favorite segment of being back on the ice.

PP2 got quite the workout from Trotz who even huddled them up at one point and was very animated in demonstrating that he wants shots, shots, and more shots out of the unit. Immediately after the huddle, Trotz pulled Legwand off the PP and put him on the kill after Leggy passed up a shot opportunity, then the same thing happened to Peverley, and then Pihlstrom. When these guys rotated back into the PP they were launching shots from all angles and actually put a couple past Rinne!

The interesting part about the PP/PK segment of practice was that when he wasn't killing (which he asked Trotz to do - Barry asked him "are you sure" and Sully simply nodded, winked, and told Pihlstrom to get out of there) Sully was talking with the players waiting in the neutral zone and at the points about different options in certain situations. He also grabbed Peterson's ear for the whole time Trotz was huddling with PP2 and was very active talking about different options with Trotz and Horachek throughout. It was good to see his excitement about simply being back on the ice with the guys and hopefully that'll turn into more production on the PP as he continues to grab their ears.

Overall, an encouraging sign to see him out there again today on back to back days. Still, the status quo remains that anything he is able to provide would be a bonus and it is quite clear that until we see him in a color other than red, he is still a ways away.

Old
12-17-2008, 02:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
PP2 got quite the workout from Trotz who even huddled them up at one point and was very animated in demonstrating that he wants shots, shots, and more shots out of the unit. Immediately after the huddle, Trotz pulled Legwand off the PP and put him on the kill after Leggy passed up a shot opportunity, then the same thing happened to Peverley, and then Pihlstrom. When these guys rotated back into the PP they were launching shots from all angles and actually put a couple past Rinne!
This, for me, was the best news out of this practice.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
'bout ****ing time ... maybe, just maybe it's starting to get in there head ... and why did it take so long for Trotz to get in their **** ? ... or maybe they watched too much of that highlight goal from Semin to Ovechkin (behind the back pass) last night in the Islander game

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
'bout ****ing time ... maybe, just maybe it's starting to get in there head ... and why did it take so long for Trotz to get in their **** ? ... or maybe they watched too much of that highlight goal from Semin to Ovechkin (behind the back pass) last night in the Islander game
What draws you to the conclusion that this is the first time Trotz has done this? I've seen Trotzy become animated with the PP units as a whole and individually at different points in the past. I've seen Horachek blow his top at the PP multiple times, and Peterson too.

I think it is always a progression. The coaches see something, they point it out to the players, the players do it again, it is corrected again, but eventually the cycle repeats itself to the point where the coaches obviously aren't getting the desired result with quiet communication methods and need to ramp up the volume to see if they can't solve the issue that way.

Old
12-19-2008, 02:40 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
It's great to hear that Sully practiced 2 days in a row with the team before they left. Congrats to him for finally seeing all that hard work pay off and just get to practice with his teammates again. I don't think any of us can really understand how good that made him feel, especially for his confidence. Good luck to him!

I hope that he can come back someday and continue to play for us. I'm not expecting anything this season since the earliest he would be back (assuming everything went right for him) would be about March.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Boyesfan

You know even as a Blues fan I have always liked Sullivan, So I hope him the best and that he can continue to play someday.. Just hope it is the blues

Boyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:19 AM
DManPreds11

Good news but until the "contact" drills are attempted, he's still a long way off from skating through the Pred's Head. I wonder if he doesn't make it this season in a game if we'll resign him to make the cap floor, then let the insurance pay his salary for the team, just a thought. Having a 50-75% Sully is better than a healthy Ward IMO.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote