HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boone..."About last night"

Old
11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
johnnyboo

vCash: 500
Boone..."About last night"

http://habsinsideout.com/boone/11197

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:11 PM
TroyM

Good stuff. I think he echoes most of our sentiments, except he does it with a lot more dignity than HFBoards! "****ed if I know", sounds about right. I have faith we'll come out strong tomorrow, but I always have blind faith in Les Habitants.

TroyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Natural Habs Fan

That was a good read.

I think this is why guys like Sundin & Shanahan would be great for our team (if our goal is winning this year) while Gaborik probably wouldn't help much unless Gainey was looking to retool the offense and ship some other guys out.

Either way, I'll be cheering for these bums tomorrow night as I always do.

Go Habs Go!

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:05 PM
shealy04

Love the Boone. His "About Last Nights" are always great reads.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Habitants

brilliant!

GO HABS GO!!!

ppl must realise that the season is long and it is early, yes there seem to be many problems right now, but it is better to see them now then later so that they can be corrected and the team will lern to play well for when it counts the most.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Pascal

Boone is awesome. RDS should get a clue from him..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
TCIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Boone is awesome. RDS should get a clue from him..
Agreed. I always read Boone's section after a game. Comes especially handy after losses when I'm trying to get as far away from HFboards as possible.

TCIH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Shred

I just bookmarked his site, his articles are pretty awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Pascal

" What a team. Four of six points on the road ... sucking all the way! "

lol.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 08:00 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
I would have to agree with Lyle. Living in Saskabush is tough. I was in hospital once as a child and I wrote to Gordie howe and Colleen sent me back an autographed picture with a caption "Gordie wants you to never give up" or something to that effect. When I learned to walk again I remember looking up from the parallel bars at a picture of Gordie. As a child it was very inpirational. Im not sure they make em like Lyle and Gordie anymore. Its hard to imagine how cold it is here in the winter.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
slocheauska

"Send Sergei Kostitsyn to Hamilton? He might take another plane and end up in Omsk."

And nobody reacts to this? The RDS guy, Therrien, said the same thing and everybody pooped on him...

EDIT: Fixed. Thanks jpchabby.

Last edited by slocheauska: 11-21-2008 at 10:45 AM.
slocheauska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 09:31 AM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocheauska View Post
"Send Sergei Kostitsyn to Hamilton? He might take another plane and end up in Omsk."

And nobody reacts to this? The RDS guy, Chantelois, said the same thing and everybody pooped on him...
actually it was Gaston Therrien... but it doesn't change anything lol

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocheauska View Post

And nobody reacts to this? The RDS guy, Therrien, said the same thing and everybody pooped on him...

EDIT: Fixed. Thanks jpchabby.
Yes, but he's from the Gazette. So he's not really being racist.

I agree with you that sometimes, people over react. Calling someone a Frenchy, or making a comment like "those visor wearing french guys" is not well taken and I can see why. But if it's common knowledge that Sergei may take a plane back to Russia if he goes back to the AHL just like Grabovsky threaten to do, then it's not racist. It's repeating what they said..

Now I don't always agree with the comments thrown at European players, but in this case, I don't see much harm in what Therrien and Boone said..

To get back to the Article, I agree with Boone that the Habs do not have enough grit. There's a difference with "strength" and "grit". That's not always a bad thing. The Habs are nice guys. There are exceptions like Komi, but even he only plays gritty after the other team starts.

I made a mention before on how BGL should start throwing his weight around and shove and instigate like Begin does becuase he says no one wants to fight him. People will start to want to fight him if he did. What did he do against Philly in the first few minutes of the game? Give a big body check and then bang, he gets into a fight! The Habs need to play with intensity and grit the whole game.. Not just a shift here or there..

And Boone is dead on when it comes to Kovalev. I said the same thing before reading this article to my friends.. Kovalev plays better when he's pissed. Only then does he really put in 110%. But sometimes he doesn't play better when he's pissed. He sulks too. You never know which Kovalev you get when you push his buttons... If only Guy knew how to get the "Good" pissed Kovalev to play every night...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
But if it's common knowledge that Sergei may take a plane back to Russia if he goes back to the AHL just like Grabovsky threaten to do, then it's not racist. It's repeating what they said..
Sergei Kostitsyn and Mikhail Grabovski currently have this bitter, probably going to end up bloody feud with each other right now, which we can only figure out to have occurred after the airplane incident Grabovski had, but somehow, its common knowledge that Sergei would do the same thing he likely got pissed off that Mikhail did!?

What the hell kind of logic is that!?

Sergei actually played in London to hone his game. He has not once shown interest in jumping, and the fact he is in a rivalry with a guy who said he would prefer to play in the AHL to get minutes than sit in the NHL, how the hell does that mean this is an honest scare?

Ken Dryden sat out an entire year because his contract negotiatons were not going right with the Canadiens. Should we fear Carey Price might do the same because he is "one of those young Canadian goalies"? Jesus...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Joe Cole

Practice what you preach, or stay home.

pffff.....

I did not agree with this article one bit. Talk about a panic buton article.

For all those who look for "solutions" with understanding of the action on the ice level.... when you rpedict a 100 point season from a team, that means that they leave 64 oints on the table.

Thinking that a team will win every night is just hipocracy, or plain ol' stupidty.

p.s. the Red Wings lost 7 games in a row at the tail end of last season, how did that work out for them?

and yes.... if someone with a French name wrote that blog, he would be crucuifed by people on this forum.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn and Mikhail Grabovski currently have this bitter, probably going to end up bloody feud with each other right now, which we can only figure out to have occurred after the airplane incident Grabovski had, but somehow, its common knowledge that Sergei would do the same thing he likely got pissed off that Mikhail did!?

What the hell kind of logic is that!?

Sergei actually played in London to hone his game. He has not once shown interest in jumping, and the fact he is in a rivalry with a guy who said he would prefer to play in the AHL to get minutes than sit in the NHL, how the hell does that mean this is an honest scare?

Ken Dryden sat out an entire year because his contract negotiatons were not going right with the Canadiens. Should we fear Carey Price might do the same because he is "one of those young Canadian goalies"? Jesus...
I'm not saying that he said that. I don't know what reporters know or talk to each others about. I gave one example of a threat which we did hear about. I just said it may be common knowledge that he may have also made some sort of threat.

Now for all those who think that it's stupid for some of us to worry about players going to Russia are in denial.. It's always an option to players who speak Russian. And I don't think it's wrong either..

Was Perezhogin wrong for signing in the RSL? What about Emelin? I don't think so. They had a better option. It's close to home, they get more ice time, play on a larger surface and get more $$$. A few weeks ago Valentenko packed up and left to back to Russia. It's not fiction.. It's fact that there is another option.. So why is it hard to believe he may have made a threat of some sort..

Ok so you may want to argue that there's no record of this. Fine. I'll admit that every reporter who mentions the word "Threat" may be wrong and Sergei may 100% want to play in NA and may Never want to play in the KHL even though I would not blame him if he did. But I maintain that there is a new fear in the Habs organization that if a player who has a good offer from the KHL may go over and play there after the last few incidents and I can't blame them either.. And I can't blame reporters for starting to generalize about the intention of younger Russian speaking players because the KHL is very competitive and players who are not happy here have started opting to play there.

Old
11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Now for all those who think that it's stupid for some of us to worry about players going to Russia are in denial.. It's always an option to players who speak Russian. And I don't think it's wrong either..
It's also a threat for any player to want to make more money somewhere else in the world and leave to attempt it.

I have zero issue with anyone who has jumped. Hockey is a business, and if you can do better business somewhere else, you watch your bottom line.

Quote:
So why is it hard to believe he may have made a threat of some sort..
Because he didn't. It's pure made up speculation based on the fear that any Russian (or Belorussian, as the Kostitsyns are) in hockey will go back home if they don't get what they want. A few do not make the whole.

Quote:
Ok so you may want to argue that there's no record of this.
Because there is not.

Quote:
And I can't blame reporters for starting to generalize about the intention of younger Russian speaking players because the KHL is very competitive and players who are not happy here have started opting to play there.
I blame them. It's xenophobic and terrible journalism. There are numerous examples of greed in the NHL among players from every country. Hell, I consider the greediest player to play in the NHL was Mario Lemieux. "I make more money than Gretzky or I don't play for the Penguins" was pretty much what he told Pittsburgh. He gets a free pass on that, but Yashin sits out on a contract demand and suddenly all Russians are greedy. Again, I use the Dryden example to show that Canadians were doing it way before the Russians. Bobby Hull jumped to the WHA for a million bucks. Doesn't mean anything? Perezhogin jumps for 3 Million. THE RUSSIANS ARE LEAVING! DON'T TRUST THEM RUSKIES!

It's ridiculous. Again, the Kostitsyns are not even Russian. What, are they gonna jump to play in HC Dinamo Minsk? Give me a break.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
... the Kostitsyns are not even Russian. What, are they gonna jump to play in HC Dinamo Minsk? Give me a break.
Now, you are splitting hairs. A Belorussian going back to Russia to play would be like a Quebecer/Canadian who played in Europe deciding to come back to play for an AHL team in Rochester, but for a lot more money.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Belso

Quote:
It's also a threat for any player to want to make more money somewhere else in the world and leave to attempt it.

I have zero issue with anyone who has jumped. Hockey is a business, and if you can do better business somewhere else, you watch your bottom line.

Yes, that's what I said..

Because he didn't. It's pure made up speculation based on the fear that any Russian (or Belorussian, as the Kostitsyns are) in hockey will go back home if they don't get what they want. A few do not make the whole.

A few? How many Russian speaking Russians did the Habs draft in the last 10 years?
Markov (NHL),
Bashkirov (tried NA now in KHL)
Tarasov (said he would go back to Russia and did),
Buturlin (played in OHL went back to Russia),
Perezhogin (Wasn't Happy in NHL, went back to Russia),
Korneyev (Stayed in Russia),
Andrei Kostitsyn (played in Russia, now here.),
Grabovski (threatened to go back to Russia),
Yemelin (Stayed in Russia),
Sergei Kostitsyn (never played in Russia and is here now), Valentenko (tried NA, but apparently was tricked by dad and is now in KHL),
Trunev (playing in KHL, but too early to tell long term).

Ok let's make a count... That's 12 players. How many are here? 3. And one of them makes over 6M a year. I know it's to early to tell for Trunev. So sure, I'll take him out.. 8 out of 11 is not a few but most. Again I DO NOT BLAME THEM. If it is a better offer, good for them..

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=219

I know they are talking about Andrei but look at what Savard said, "He’ll probably go back [to Russia],” he said. “That was the understanding when he first came over, but there’s no [NHL league-wide] agreement with the European leagues, now, so we’d have to negotiate with his team before signing him. There are a few hurdles in place, but we’ll see.”

Because there is not.

So unless Savard was lying, Andrei did consider continuing his career in Russia...

I blame them. It's xenophobic and terrible journalism. There are numerous examples of greed in the NHL among players from every country. Hell, I consider the greediest player to play in the NHL was Mario Lemieux. "I make more money than Gretzky or I don't play for the Penguins" was pretty much what he told Pittsburgh. He gets a free pass on that, but Yashin sits out on a contract demand and suddenly all Russians are greedy. Again, I use the Dryden example to show that Canadians were doing it way before the Russians. Bobby Hull jumped to the WHA for a million bucks. Doesn't mean anything? Perezhogin jumps for 3 Million. THE RUSSIANS ARE LEAVING! DON'T TRUST THEM RUSKIES!

It's ridiculous. Again, the Kostitsyns are not even Russian. What, are they gonna jump to play in HC Dinamo Minsk? Give me a break.
Ok some reporters are xenophobic. But that doesn't mean that every NA reporter is when they make a comment based on past experience. I honestly believe, are you ready for this, I believe that Sergei does not want to go to Russia to play. I have read in interviews that he thinks the NHL is the best league in the world and he want's to play here and he looks like he is honestly giving this team a chance.. And I think that Andrei wants to stay here too, but we don't know everything and there isn't anything wrong with looking at the past.

Now I don't remember them making any comments about Kovalev or Markov going back to Russia and that's probably because they never made any mention of it. They didn't even say that about Samsonov when he was mad about his ice time. So why now?

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=219

So people should start to be less sensitive about comments reporters make. Yes if I read, "those stupid Russian cost us the game last night" I would agree with you.

Who cares if they are not Russian. The reporters never said they were. Again, people get confused. The reporters aren't saying they are stupid Russians. They said "If they want to threated to go back and play there, fine. Let them go if they don't want to play here."

As far as I know, everyone but Sergei has played in Russia. And if Plekanec or Latendresse would have made such a threat, they would have said something similar. It would have sounded like this, "If they want to go play along side Emery in Siberia, so be it!" So what's wrong with that? Nothing. But if the player Speaks Russian it's xenophobic?

I have NEVER read anything bad about Hamrlik. Why don't they Bash him? He's not American? Neither is Halak, All good things come out of this guy. They never mentioned him threatening to go play in the KHL, but they did mention he did want to play some real minutes this season. Why didn't they act xenophobic towards him? Why didn't they just say, "If Halak doesn't like his ice time, why doesn't he go play in Russia?" Because these 2 players didn't make any such treats and there are way less European players who go play in Russia. And most importantly, they work 100% every game.

So to end, you said, "A few do not make the whole." The same could be said about reporters. It doesn't mean that there are a few xenophobic reporters that every time a reporter mention's countries that they are xenophobic.

Old
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post
Great read. Thanks jonnyboo.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Yes, but he's from the Gazette. So he's not really being racist.

I agree with you that sometimes, people over react. Calling someone a Frenchy, or making a comment like "those visor wearing french guys" is not well taken and I can see why. But if it's common knowledge that Sergei may take a plane back to Russia if he goes back to the AHL just like Grabovsky threaten to do, then it's not racist. It's repeating what they said..

Now I don't always agree with the comments thrown at European players, but in this case, I don't see much harm in what Therrien and Boone said..

To get back to the Article, I agree with Boone that the Habs do not have enough grit. There's a difference with "strength" and "grit". That's not always a bad thing. The Habs are nice guys. There are exceptions like Komi, but even he only plays gritty after the other team starts.

I made a mention before on how BGL should start throwing his weight around and shove and instigate like Begin does becuase he says no one wants to fight him. People will start to want to fight him if he did. What did he do against Philly in the first few minutes of the game? Give a big body check and then bang, he gets into a fight! The Habs need to play with intensity and grit the whole game.. Not just a shift here or there..

And Boone is dead on when it comes to Kovalev. I said the same thing before reading this article to my friends.. Kovalev plays better when he's pissed. Only then does he really put in 110%. But sometimes he doesn't play better when he's pissed. He sulks too. You never know which Kovalev you get when you push his buttons... If only Guy knew how to get the "Good" pissed Kovalev to play every night...
I would be interested in hearing who Kovy would like as his linemates. And why.

I think that would be most revealing to hear.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosti46 View Post
I would be interested in hearing who Kovy would like as his linemates. And why.

I think that would be most revealing to hear.

My wish was to see Ovechkin in Montreal. I was so disappointed to hear that he had signed such a long contract with Washington. But I don't think It's a question of line mates with Kovalev. He's no different then then any other talented player in the NHL IMO when it comes to who you get to play with. He's aware that he is one of the most talented players on the team and has to expect to play with whomever clicks with him most. The real issue is his mentality. I've heard and seen this for years:

Kovalev at the beginning of the season < end of season < Play-offs

If he had a point or two a night, no one would argue. But then you see him playing "so so" and loose when you know that he could play with more intensity, it's hard to swallow.

He seems to respond well to getting a dirty hit or a cheap shot.. Maybe we'll pay Kirk a few bucks to hit him in the groin at random during games and see if that helps!

But from what I know, He really wants to win a cup. He just sees the road to it differently than most.. But he chose to play here and is talented. so It's Carbo's job to use him the best he can..