HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Camp articles on Locke, Danis from rds.ca

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Camp articles on Locke, Danis from rds.ca

Hey guys,
Some interesting reads over on rds.ca.
Yann Danis: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N40F4510E.html
Since, the article is in french, I'll offer an english translation for you all:
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004 - The Canadiens rookie development camp is continuing at the Pierrefonds arena. Amongst the 25 invitees are four goaltenders. And of those 4 goalies, the one most likely to one day graduate to the NHL is Quebecer Yann Danis.

Danis made people talk about him this year. A candidate for the title of best American College hockey player, he made enough of a name for himself for the Canadiens to offer him a contract last March. At 23 years of age, the young man originating from St-Jerome is beginning his professional career a little late, but it's not something that should impede his development. "In my 2nd year of university, I began thinking about a career," noted Danis. "I knew teams were gaining interest in me. By my third year, I really started to believe it would happen."

"We hire goalies to play in the NHL," explained trainer Roland Melanson. "For a goalie, 23 is not too old. Most only reach maturity at 25 or 26 years old."

Last year, Danis got the opportunity to start 2 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs and he didn't disapoint, with a win on each occasion. This year, his goal is to play more often, and to post as good statistics in the AHL as he did playing for Brown University. "I want to stay at this camp as long as possible and make their decision a difficult one. If I go to Hamilton, I'll work extremely hard."

"He's an extremely intelligent goaltender," added Melanson. "Even if he isn't overly big, he covers his angles well and adapts well to the system."

Despite all that he's accomplished, Yann Danis still has a major task ahead of him, especially when you consider that very few goaltenders from American University hockey ever make it to the NHL.

Corey Locke: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N40F2F946.html

Monday, July 12th, 2004 - The Canadiens' young hopefuls continue their development camp this week in Pierrefonds. At just 5 feet, 9 inches, forward Corey Locke is the smallest of the group, but he's also one of the most talented.

Last year, at the draft in Nashville, Locke was only selected 113th overall. But, if he was just a little bit bigger, he would have heard his name called much sooner. This passed year, his last in juniors, Locke was again an impact player, totalling 51 goals and 67 assists in 65 games with Ottawa. Now that he has nothing left to prove in juniors, he should be continuning his learning in the American Hockey League next fall.

"My height has always been a factor. I've always been the smallest player in my league. I'm used to battling against guys bigger, stronger, and tougher than me," commented Locke.

"I think he's the hardest working player I've ever seen. His effort is constant and that's why he has success. Even though he's small, he's had really good statistics. He was the OHL's leading scorer last year. Even though he's small, there's chances he'll one day make it to the National League," claims former GM André Savard.

At 5-foot-9, Locke isn't smaller than Martin St. Louis. And with the kind of season the Lightning star had, it's easy to find common points between the two... but one shouldn't get carried away with that so quickly.

"St. Louis has more natural talent. We can't get too far ahead of ourselves. St. Louis is a better skater. Locke has alot of work ahead of him, and he hasn't gotten there yet. He doesn't have Martin's physical strength either," clarified Savard.

Now it's up to Locke to make a liar out of André.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:41 PM
db23

vCash: 500
Thanks for the translation.

Closed Thread