HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Winnipeg misses the Jets........

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2004, 09:51 PM
  #76
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
What do you know about the city beyond the population number? Because, as has been stated numerous times throughout the thread, population isn't the reason the Jets left. And Phoenix's gaudy population certain hasn't helped the team sell-out either.
People want a winner, not a perennial first round wash out. But next season, all 4 major league teams are going to suck so perhaps the Yotes will sell more?

I think you have unfair expectations to ask an expansion team to sellout every night. Granted Minnesota is, but they have had a team before and its a hockey state. I believe Colombus is going strong as well, but again, hockey isnt as foreign as it is here. But people are catching on, and once the team makes the playoffs some more im sure it will be a permanent fixture in Phoenix.

XX is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:58 PM
  #77
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
I answered it unlike you who instead of providing a rebuttal to my statements just brings up worthless strawman arguments.
I told you to explain how your theory relates if only one buyer is interested. I specifically asked you not to talk about how that isn't possible and just anwser the question. So you proceed to chase your tail for four paragraphs about how it's not possible instead of answering the question.

As one ingnorant and arrogant poster previously said in this thread: Can you read? If so apply that skill to the previous posts.

Le Golie is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:15 PM
  #78
YellHockey*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
I told you to explain how your theory relates if only one buyer is interested. I specifically asked you not to talk about how that isn't possible and just anwser the question. So you proceed to chase your tail for four paragraphs about how it's not possible instead of answering the question.
But it is an idiotic question. Why don't you ask me if Winnipeg suddenly became the center of the universe and had 10M residents? Or what if the big one hit California and everything west of the San Andreas fault fell into the ocean? What if.... what if.... What if Winnipeggers started dealing with reality?

If there is only one buyer interested then Winnipeg must be one of the top 30 NHL markets because there is no way that cities have the potential to be a top 30 market would pass up the opportunity to get a team. Why would ownership groups in Houston or Oklahoma City or Kansas City or Portland or wherever pass up the opportunity to get a franchise below market value?

YellHockey* is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 02:38 AM
  #79
Jets4Life
Registered User
 
Jets4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Where in thell did you get those numbers? 1995? The 5th largest city in the US only has 3.4 million people? WHATS GOING ON!? Phoenix is so sprawled out, there are easily 5 million within reach of the Arena (~25 min ride) Bottomline: Winnipeg needs more people.

The US Census Bureau. Maybe try a search engine. That is metro Phoenix with all suburbs for 1993.

Jets4Life is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 10:52 AM
  #80
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Where in thell did you get those numbers? 1995? The 5th largest city in the US only has 3.4 million people? WHATS GOING ON!? Phoenix is so sprawled out, there are easily 5 million within reach of the Arena (~25 min ride) Bottomline: Winnipeg needs more people.
5 million within 25 mins? i don't know where any of these numbers are coming from.

Phoenix population was 1.321.000 as of july 02 and the whole state of Arizona was 5.4 million,thats some big growth in the last 2 years

Anyway the Jets would never make it in todays NHL because of ticket prices not because of lack of hockey fans but lack of fans that are willing buy the $100+ seats and the $50,000 luxury boxes. Teams such as Edmonton,Ottawa and Calgary need the new CBA or they'll all be gone.The Oilers are just hanging on now,Ottawa's new owner will tire of losing big bucks very soon and if it wasn't for the huge economic growth in Calgary over the last 5 years they would have been gone.

Iggy-4-50 is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 12:01 PM
  #81
YellHockey*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Teams such as Edmonton,Ottawa and Calgary need the new CBA or they'll all be gone.The Oilers are just hanging on now,Ottawa's new owner will tire of losing big bucks very soon and if it wasn't for the huge economic growth in Calgary over the last 5 years they would have been gone.
I don't know everything about the situations in Alberta but Ottawa doesn't need a new CBA. If anything a new CBA will hurt Ottawa. Cost certainty will mean that Ottawa will not be able to fit all their talented players under a cap, lost them to earlier unrestricted free agency or both.

As well, Ottawa's owner is not losing big bucks. If anything, he's probably making a great return on his investment. The operations of the Corel Centre and the team were profitable in the Rod Bryden days (but because they were separate entities, the immensely profitable building could not bail out the insolvent team). Considering the debt get removed when Melnyk took over, he's probably making plenty of money even with the increased payroll.

If Melnyk wasn't making tons of money from the market, he wouldn't have increased the payroll nor would he make proposals about increasing the capacity of the Corel Centre.

YellHockey* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.