HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ossi Vaananen

Old
11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
watching him do that to crosby was priceless.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:39 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
and of course he laid there on the ice like a ***** like he always does.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:06 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'd like to see Ossi do this to players like Cry-baby Crosby
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
watching him do that to crosby was priceless.
As crazy as Hatch made me from time to time, I really do miss him.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
As crazy as Hatch made me from time to time, I really do miss him.
Words cannot describe how much I miss Hatch I went out and bought his jersey. He was a great player at times. Sad to see his career end this way (potentially).

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:22 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Words cannot describe how much I miss Hatch I went out and bought his jersey. He was a great player at times. Sad to see his career end this way (potentially).

I hear ya. I'm still holding out hope that we'll see him in the playoffs, though.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 01:10 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
i hear all ya guys on those points. id probably not like to play against hatcher and his twitch in his face lol.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Finnpin

Great season so far from Ozzy!

And a lot of people here (and in nhl.com message boards) undervalued him a lot before the season but pretty damn good stuff for just a 1mil/year.

Resigning soon?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

2.2 for 3 years i rekon.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:49 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I hear ya. I'm still holding out hope that we'll see him in the playoffs, though.
if its at all possible to fit him under the cap he plays come march. he may not have had a season long grind in him but i think hes got enough left in the tank to give it one more run when it counts.

call me a conspiracy theorist but i think he and the team worked something out where hed go play some golf and rest those kneas up while they resolved the cap issue.

hes actually the exact type player the flyers need right now. big stay at home defensman, can lay the big hit, play solid minutes and kill penalties if needed. hes also a veteran presence on the blueline that will get on guys if they arent backchecking.

when your looking to add a character player for the playoffs big hatch is gonna be there giving every drop of blood sweat and cortizone hes got for one last chance at the cup.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:55 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
Great season so far from Ozzy!

And a lot of people here (and in nhl.com message boards) undervalued him a lot before the season but pretty damn good stuff for just a 1mil/year.

Resigning soon?
ozzy has about as bland a game as you can get. hes consistent reliable doesnt make mistakes but hes not a real big hitter and he doesnt show you much on offense. hes good but not the kind of player fans can really get behind. which is why hes underrated.

that being said if he contunes to play cheap ill keep him but he doesnt play a style that makes me wanna offer him a sexxy contract.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:41 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
ozzy has about as bland a game as you can get. hes consistent reliable doesnt make mistakes but hes not a real big hitter and he doesnt show you much on offense. hes good but not the kind of player fans can really get behind. which is why hes underrated.

that being said if he contunes to play cheap ill keep him but he doesnt play a style that makes me wanna offer him a sexxy contract.
oh, of course. he's never going to be a big earner. but he's been solid and a consistently good player this season. if he's resigned to a reasonable rate, i'd say he's more than earned it.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:16 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Id re-sign him cheap, but not if we have to sacrifice playing time for Parent.

Ideal Next season:

Timonen-Coburn
Parent/Vaananen-Carle
Vaananen/Parent-Sbisa

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
if its at all possible to fit him under the cap he plays come march. he may not have had a season long grind in him but i think hes got enough left in the tank to give it one more run when it counts.

call me a conspiracy theorist but i think he and the team worked something out where hed go play some golf and rest those kneas up while they resolved the cap issue.

hes actually the exact type player the flyers need right now. big stay at home defensman, can lay the big hit, play solid minutes and kill penalties if needed. hes also a veteran presence on the blueline that will get on guys if they arent backchecking.

when your looking to add a character player for the playoffs big hatch is gonna be there giving every drop of blood sweat and cortizone hes got for one last chance at the cup.
Hatcher is done. There's no way he can come back after sitting all year, and be effective in the playoffs. He's knees will not allow him to play. They're not going to get better. His knee condition is degenerative.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:44 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
2.2 for 3 years i rekon.
I'd take it.

Ossi has been nothing short of solid

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:34 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
2.2 for 3 years i rekon.
Is that enough for him? Didn't Jones get a larger contract? You'd think that Ossi would get a better contract than Jones as it stands.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:39 PM
mm6492

Resign him but i want to see Parent full time next year, as Hovercraft said

Timmonen-Coburn
Carle-vannanen
Sbisa-Parent

That 3rd pairing would have alot of potential. Or you can switch parent and vananen

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Is that enough for him? Didn't Jones get a larger contract? You'd think that Ossi would get a better contract than Jones as it stands.
Around two million sounds reasonable. Thats what similar players around the league earn, Hejda for example earns $2.0 MM in Columbus or Wallin makes $1.7 MM in Carolina.

Jones got paid for the 30 point season he had last year.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Ossi is a second pairing one way defenseman. Same contract Smith got, 2.2 mil, no more, no less

Old
12-14-2008, 04:14 PM
thunderhorse

Send a message via AIM to thunderhorse Send a message via MSN to thunderhorse Send a message via Skype™ to thunderhorse
Quote:
Ossi is a second pairing one way defenseman. Same contract Smith got, 2.2 mil, no more, no less
I don't know Ossi'd garner even that much. He's very solid in the kind of way that goes unnoticed, and I'm wondering if most other teams or GMs don't really notice him. If that's the case, he wouldn't be generating a ton of interest on the open-market, which would keep his price down. I'm guessing, honestly, somewhere in the lower level like 1.5 or 1.7 .

thunderhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah he doesnt have the reputation Smith has.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 04:37 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhorse View Post
I don't know Ossi'd garner even that much. He's very solid in the kind of way that goes unnoticed, and I'm wondering if most other teams or GMs don't really notice him. If that's the case, he wouldn't be generating a ton of interest on the open-market, which would keep his price down. I'm guessing, honestly, somewhere in the lower level like 1.5 or 1.7 .
The problem is the free agent frenzy at the start. Teams will be looking for defenseman to fill holes, and free agents will keep their prices rising.

Old
12-15-2008, 05:53 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
The problem is the free agent frenzy at the start. Teams will be looking for defenseman to fill holes, and free agents will keep their prices rising.
You know something, I don't think Vaananen will bolt. I think he realizes this franchise gave him a chance to come back and I think he's going to reward them. Remember, this is a franchise that is extremely loyal to players that are loyal to the franchise. Vaananen will be looked after and I think you'll see him take a little less than what he'd get on the open market to stay in Philadelphia.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I hope your right because i love having the guy on the blueline

Old
12-15-2008, 09:14 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You know something, I don't think Vaananen will bolt. I think he realizes this franchise gave him a chance to come back and I think he's going to reward them. Remember, this is a franchise that is extremely loyal to players that are loyal to the franchise. Vaananen will be looked after and I think you'll see him take a little less than what he'd get on the open market to stay in Philadelphia.
i hope so. i wanted to get him back when he was in colorado and now that we have him, it's awesome. i love having him; he's steady, dependable and a bargain in cap space.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Honestly, I think Vaananen is going to sign for term. I can see him taking less in order to get something in the four to five year range. I could see a 4 year/8.7 million or a 5 year/10.2 million deal. And Vaananen would only be 35 at the oldest when the deal expires. You could probably get another contract out of him. I'd have no problems with four or five more years of Vaananen.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote