HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

juris stals

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
little a from da bx

vCash: 500
juris stals

is juris stals ( think thats how u spell it)ready for nhl action he is a center and i think with decent size... so he could fith the bill everyone is so big on moore . what about stals? i would like to see him up for somereason i think he would be a great center addition for us . have a feeling in he would be a 15 or so goal scorer at first to become more of a 20-25 goal man , dont know hy i feel that i just do.

Old
07-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by little a from da bx
is juris stals ( think thats how u spell it)ready for nhl action he is a center and i think with decent size... so he could fith the bill everyone is so big on moore . what about stals? i would like to see him up for somereason i think he would be a great center addition for us . have a feeling in he would be a 15 or so goal scorer at first to become more of a 20-25 goal man , dont know hy i feel that i just do.
He's slow, doesn't have the Pro speed, he's a liability at this point.

Old
07-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Fletch

4 goals, 18 points...

in 68 games and 22...not sure if I'd be predicting a 15 goal NHL scorer at this point...

Old
07-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Garden_Variety

Stals was the last forward cut last season. Again...as I have written in previous posts. He would have made the team if Messier wasn't there.

Don't get me wrong...I like Messier. He's a first ballot hall of famer...(duh) I'm not a big fan of players sticking around too long though.

Granted he has scored 18 goals the past two years and has had over 40 points which may be fantastic for some players but when your average season is about 80 points. I think its time to hang it up. What more does he have to prove. He's hurting the team more than he's helping. The sad part about it is I don't think he realizes that he is hurting the organization.

If he does then he is a real dick.....sorry but that's how I feel about it.

Old
07-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Edge

Making the team or not, Stals wasn't exactly a scorer in the AHL last season so I seriously doubt even 15goals is a fair projection.

Perhaps the truly funny part is how much Messier scored last season.

18 goals and 40 points is better than most guys half his age, but what is truly scary is that it was still enough to pace guys like Kovalev and Lindros.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:49 PM
NYR469

stals surprised people with his great play in training camp and basically turn himself from a former 9th round afterthought into a prospect...but then he didn't do much in hartford...

there are other guys who are much more ready...stals should be left in hartford where he'll get more ice time this year (if there isn't a lockout) and he can continue developing

Old
07-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Making the team or not, Stals wasn't exactly a scorer in the AHL last season so I seriously doubt even 15goals is a fair projection.

Perhaps the truly funny part is how much Messier scored last season.

18 goals and 40 points is better than most guys half his age, but what is truly scary is that it was still enough to pace guys like Kovalev and Lindros.
Yep, I agree Edge, for a good majority of the season, Old Man Messier (who all of a sudden gets no respect from Ranger fans on this board...interesting...) he was their best player. He and his line mates (simon and Barnaby) were the only guys who showed up half the time.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:44 PM
NYFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Yep, I agree Edge, for a good majority of the season, Old Man Messier (who all of a sudden gets no respect from Ranger fans on this board...interesting...) he was their best player. He and his line mates (simon and Barnaby) were the only guys who showed up half the time.
If gliding through the neutral zone is showing up,then I guess he did! He was a huge liability defensively last season and logged way too much ice time for a 40 something!

Old
07-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
If gliding through the neutral zone is showing up,then I guess he did! He was a huge liability defensively last season and logged way too much ice time for a 40 something!
he was also one of the few guys that showed effort after the rangers purged the roster. I don't want messier back but he was not a problem last season. He could still play hockey and showed loyalty to the rangers at the end. The guy brought this team the cup and i'm sure on the night of june 14th 1994 everybody would have said let this guy play however long he wants. Messier could be the greatest rangers forward we will ever see.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
When he was the only guy scoring, i think he earned the time.

I don't understand this Messier bashing...he brought us a cup and he's been our most consistant scoring in the past 3 years.

Now saying that, if he comes back and takes ice time away from the kids, i'll be pretty pissed off. Last year, who was he taking ice time away from??

Old
07-13-2004, 10:40 PM
kc13

Stals wouldn't have made the team last year, they just kept him around because they wanted to get him signed to a contract. He never played a regular shift in Hartford, hardly borderline NHL material.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Garden_Variety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
When he was the only guy scoring, i think he earned the time.

I don't understand this Messier bashing...he brought us a cup and he's been our most consistant scoring in the past 3 years.

Now saying that, if he comes back and takes ice time away from the kids, i'll be pretty pissed off. Last year, who was he taking ice time away from??
Of course he was the most consistet. He was getting more ice than Holik and Lindros the past couple years on average. He brought the Rangers the cup and I will always be grateful for that. But this shouldn't be his team anymore. The organization cannot be dependent on a 43 year old. All the bs he talks about in the pre-season about taking a secondary role goes out the window when the season starts. He still dominates the locker room. It can't be his team anymore. He has to step back for the organization to step forward. If that means retiring to be behind the bench as a coach then so be it.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden_Variety
Of course he was the most consistet. He was getting more ice than Holik and Lindros the past couple years on average. He brought the Rangers the cup and I will always be grateful for that. But this shouldn't be his team anymore. The organization cannot be dependent on a 43 year old. All the bs he talks about in the pre-season about taking a secondary role goes out the window when the season starts. He still dominates the locker room. It can't be his team anymore. He has to step back for the organization to step forward. If that means retiring to be behind the bench as a coach then so be it.
Sure I agree, this team is going in a new direction...personally, i felt it was wrong to bring him back a 2nd time...but it didnt seem to matter much. Im not blaming him for one thing though, over these past 7 years, it was not his fault. but now, it's time to go, and he should be honored properly.

As for him going behind the bench, i don't believe thats such a good idea. It's time to go in a new direction, this is not a country club. Lets get real coaches back there and move forward, instead of live in the past.

Old
07-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Edge

Come on, aside from Holik, Messier, Simon and Barnaby no one did anything else.

Lindros didn't get enough icetime? I dont buy, the guy has been "off" for the past two seasons now. Everytime he got it going he got knocked out of a game.

The guys who were supposed to score got their chance, bottom line is they failed. The team failed and the fact that a 40 could warrant the icetime and respond with 18 goals and 40 points speaks more to the shortcomings of this club and it's makeup than of him.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Fletch

Glad Mess kept that spot from Stals...

as a year in the NHL would not have done Stals any good as he did do too well, offensively, in Hartford.

And Mess was one of the team's better and more consistent forwards. His defense has been bashed, but Mess, in my opinion, played pretty well defensively. He did backcheck. He did cover the front of the net more than the defensemen did. He did play with whoever he was given and played many roles. Shame the players around him couldn't elevate their game too to get the guy into the playoffs.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Larry Melnyk

Love the way this thread turned into a Mess fest...Doesn't take much does it?...My take, he was more then adequate on ice and performed better then many others....Probably still can..Still, re-signing for his 2nd tour was an assinine move as was bringing him back last year and this year (if it happens)..The Rangers need (and have needed) to move on from his smothering presence and aura that is everywhere, especcially in Sather and Renney's head, as well as the double standards (Practice? We don't need no stinkin practice!) and favoritisms that have helped cripple the franchise (and no, these are not directly Messier's fault)..

As for Stalls, just God Awful...Not sure there is a lower skater on the planet...

Old
07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
As for Stalls, just God Awful...Not sure there is a lower skater on the planet...
Not big on that 'center of gravity' concept, are you?

Old
07-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Not big on that 'center of gravity' concept, are you?
Smart ass...

Old
07-14-2004, 11:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Smart ass...
You know it!

Old
07-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Fish

Joining the thread a bit late...so I'll be on topic

When I saw Stals last year in camp I liked his size and speed, but thought he had some of the worst hands. A real soft shot and difficulty getting accuracy with it made me wonder whether I was seeing the same player the Rangers were raving about.

Stals perhaps got a longer stay in the pre-season because he was trying out for a pro-contract moreso than him being the best forward prospect, and if I recall correctly actually got sent down at or around the same time that the likes of Larose, Moore and Ortmeyer did (too lazy to check right now).

In the future I see Stals as unlikely to make the NHL, but will be interested to see how he does this year in Hartford...I certainly don't think he's ready for the Rangers roster yet and that other forwards, namely Wiseman and Moore and for that matter Ulmer (not that I foresee him to be an NHLer) deserve consideration ahead of him

Closed Thread