HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Snap shot curve

Old
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Snap shot curve

So I have been playing hockey for 2 years now. No ice yet, but I just got a pair of CCM's from my friend. I dont consider myself a good player at all but definitely not the worst. The shot I use most frequent is the snap shot. I do slapshot occasionally and wrist shots a little bit, but snap shots are my forte. My question to you is, what is the best curve for ice hockey snap shots. I know Sakic was a master of snap shots, would it be best to go with his curve for ice hockey snapshots?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Blueshirt24

I think it all comes down to you personally and how you take your snapshot. Depending on your technique, you'll like a different curve. Personally, I won't use anything but Bauer's Naslund curve anymore. I got used to it a few years ago and when I try to switch now I usually have trouble keeping my shot down or putting it where I want it.

11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
iceman_88888888

grab a curve with a mid curve and a slightly open face (sakic in easton, naslund in nbh, frolov in tps, recchi in ccm, draper in warrior, etc). it'll give the puck a nice whip coming around the curve from a snap or slap shot and the open face helps you get it up a little easier than using a closed face... unless you're a really good shooter and can control your shots.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
unless you're a really good shooter and can control your shots.
It's called rolling your wrists over. Open faces aren't necessary to get shots up quick. In fact, they can potentially cause your shots to flutter more and become less accurate, and make poor shooting technique look worse. If you're learning to shoot properly, stick more closely to neutrals.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For snap shots, I like a flatter blade, just because curved blades tend to cause flutter for me. I like a bit of loft and a kink really helps put a ton of spin on the puck in a hurry. Depending on your shooting style, a Drury or a Sakic type blade would be great for snap shots. I like the Weight because it's like a flatter, milder version of the Sakic (mid kink) with a little bit of twist at the heel.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
has nothing to do with the curve really.
its all about you and if your comftorble.

Personally, I use a Lidstrom curve and my snap shot is always where i want it to be...right under the bar or right inside the post on the low blocker side.
Once your comftorble with a blade, you can do any shot.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
So I have been playing hockey for 2 years now. No ice yet, but I just got a pair of CCM's from my friend. I dont consider myself a good player at all but definitely not the worst. The shot I use most frequent is the snap shot. I do slapshot occasionally and wrist shots a little bit, but snap shots are my forte. My question to you is, what is the best curve for ice hockey snap shots. I know Sakic was a master of snap shots, would it be best to go with his curve for ice hockey snapshots?
Ok, so you have been skating for 2 years, but not ice. Which mean you roller blade or you play street. This also means that when you step on the ice with your stick for the first time, that forte shot of your is gone!

Ice hockey is 80% skating and the majority of that 80% is balance. The min. you try to do that forte shot without proper balance you will be looking at the ceiling.

Right about now you are say...SO!

Well, I don't care what you are playing...ice, roller or street. The best shot you can practice on right now is your wrist shot. Why? Because it accurate! Accuracy is going to get you goals and a hell of a lot more then that forte shot of your ever will.

Yes, I know, I don't know anything about you. But, after doing this for 30 years I would recommend staying with a wrist shot. Once you have this down and you can pick the corner with every shot, then come back and ask about your curve for slap shots.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, so you have been skating for 2 years, but not ice. Which mean you roller blade or you play street. This also means that when you step on the ice with your stick for the first time, that forte shot of your is gone!

Ice hockey is 80% skating and the majority of that 80% is balance. The min. you try to do that forte shot without proper balance you will be looking at the ceiling.

Right about now you are say...SO!

Well, I don't care what you are playing...ice, roller or street. The best shot you can practice on right now is your wrist shot. Why? Because it accurate! Accuracy is going to get you goals and a hell of a lot more then that forte shot of your ever will.

Yes, I know, I don't know anything about you. But, after doing this for 30 years I would recommend staying with a wrist shot. Once you have this down and you can pick the corner with every shot, then come back and ask about your curve for slap shots.

Head coach
Good God is that ever true. I solely used the Sakic curve growing up for about 10-12 years easy (Or something very similar, mid curve, open, moderate curve). It was great, but I was a horrible passer, and worse backhander. But lucky for me, I played with an awesome set up center so all I had to do was shoot, which I did damn good with.

Then I stepped on the ice at the ripe old age of 20 for the first time in about the same amount of time as mentioned before (10-12 yrs). The Sakic curve was horrid, and I would fall all over the place trying to correct my shot. By complete chance I ran across a One90 with a PM9/Malkin/St. Louis blade and used that. I felt much more comfortable, but I'm still getting used to the balance/ice aspect.

Speaking of which, Headcoach, you got any ideas to help my on ice shooting balance?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote