HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#18 -- Flyers at Sabres -- November 21, 2008 -- 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
11-22-2008, 01:55 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Bow down to Marty.
**** yeah!

My two favourite Flyers steal the show and I miss the game. Maybe I should banish myself from watching for a while.

Back to Philly for a very inconsistent Phoenix team. I'm guessing Nitty'll get the start, especially after Marty faced so much rubber tonight; hopefully Nitty puts up the same effort Biron did.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 01:59 AM
curtisinpa

vCash: 500
Great Game.

curtisinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Ri hards

Wow! Saw the highlights at the bar. Looks like I missed a great game. All hail Marty with the 40 save shutout!

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Miss Mess

Good game, Marty wasn't effing around.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:37 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Good game.

The broadcast was absolutely horrible though. It was tough to watch.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:46 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
yay for carter moving into 2nd in league goal scoring.

on a more sobering note, what is going on with lupul? he was frustrated all night and took a bad slashing penalty. i hope he gets his act together because we're going to need him to contribute if we're going to win this season.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:01 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
yay for carter moving into 2nd in league goal scoring.

on a more sobering note, what is going on with lupul? he was frustrated all night and took a bad slashing penalty. i hope he gets his act together because we're going to need him to contribute if we're going to win this season.
I didnt even notice him until he took that penalty. He definately needs to do something, or he'll be back on that 4th line.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:13 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'm annoyed at Lupul, but the guy just should not be playing with Metro while Knuble plays with the first line.

I dunno, we played a straight-up bad game. Our offense just has not consistently created chances. Look at our goals last night, we basically scored a shortie (guy breaking out of the box), then Buffalo made a pretty pathetic turnover and we were lucky the puck squirted to Carter, and then we scored the EN.

I mean, what other chances did we even create? We had a 2 on 1 shorthanded, some screened point shots, and I think Metro had a good point blank chance.

This team should be creating a lot more than 5-6 goalscoring chances per game.

Of course, we don't need Briere or anything and give me a break about defensive performance. The MTL game was a defensive performance, this game was Buffalo hitting 3-4 posts, Stafford with the miss of the season, and Marty standing on his head. It wasn't "defensive effort."

Bright spots for me would be Upshall, Carle, Alberts, and Biron although Alberts did have 1 or 2 really bad d-zone turnovers. Carle was great although I wouldn't mind seeing him keep it simpler in the d-zone, he's going to get burned one of these days.

EDIT: I also don't know how long we can keep getting away with only playing 4 d-men on the PK.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:40 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm annoyed at Lupul, but the guy just should not be playing with Metro while Knuble plays with the first line.

I dunno, we played a straight-up bad game. Our offense just has not consistently created chances. Look at our goals last night, we basically scored a shortie (guy breaking out of the box), then Buffalo made a pretty pathetic turnover and we were lucky the puck squirted to Carter, and then we scored the EN.

I mean, what other chances did we even create? We had a 2 on 1 shorthanded, some screened point shots, and I think Metro had a good point blank chance.

This team should be creating a lot more than 5-6 goalscoring chances per game.

Of course, we don't need Briere or anything and give me a break about defensive performance. The MTL game was a defensive performance, this game was Buffalo hitting 3-4 posts, Stafford with the miss of the season, and Marty standing on his head. It wasn't "defensive effort."

Bright spots for me would be Upshall, Carle, Alberts, and Biron although Alberts did have 1 or 2 really bad d-zone turnovers. Carle was great although I wouldn't mind seeing him keep it simpler in the d-zone, he's going to get burned one of these days.

EDIT: I also don't know how long we can keep getting away with only playing 4 d-men on the PK.
you're right that the result was deceptively tilted in our favor. biron stood on his head. we were probably a couple centimeters away from losing 4-2. still, results matter and we got the win.

i'm kind of frustrated with our power play too. lots of waiting, not enough chances. carle shows promise as a point-man.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:50 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Team plays .900 hockey over a 5 game stretch, yet people are still acting like it's 05-06 again.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Was this from the game last night? (caption says so on DelcoTimes' website):

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:14 AM
BerubeBox*

Hard to believe we're ahead of the wings now in goals against average, after that godawful start.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=444

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Hard to believe we're ahead of the wings now in goals against average, after that godawful start.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=444
Not that shocking, check out the Red Wings SVPCT. That's not going to get it done.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:28 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
you're right that the result was deceptively tilted in our favor. biron stood on his head. we were probably a couple centimeters away from losing 4-2. still, results matter and we got the win.

i'm kind of frustrated with our power play too. lots of waiting, not enough chances. carle shows promise as a point-man.
What, our PP misses Briere? Why would you even dare to insinuate such a thing?

In all seriousness, let's look up and down our roster.

Richards - Good playmaker for sure, I wouldn't call him an elite offensive player though.
Gagne - Elite sniper, not a playmaker.
Carter - Elite sniper, potential to be a good playmaker but not there yet.
Knuble - Not a passer.
Lupul - Sniper
Upshall - energy type guy
Nodl - rookie
Metro - 3rd liner
Hartnell - Power forward

We don't have many guys that are great with the puck , it's just a fact of life unfortunately and when Briere is out, that gets even worse. You look at a night like last night when Carter didn't play that great, Knuble dragged down the Richie-Gagne line, and Metro's line wasn't outstanding and you wonder why ppl think this can be an elite offensive team without Briere.

In 2 years time with Giroux and JVR, I can see that argument. Right now, it has no merit, a lot of these guys just aren't consistent yet.

I also think we still need a big scoring line.

Old
11-22-2008, 09:31 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:

In all seriousness, let's look up and down our roster.

Richards - Good playmaker for sure, I wouldn't call him an elite offensive player though.
Gagne - Elite sniper, not a playmaker.
Carter - Elite sniper, potential to be a good playmaker but not there yet.
Knuble - Not a passer.
Lupul - Sniper
Upshall - energy type guy
Nodl - rookie
Metro - 3rd liner
Hartnell - Power forward

We don't have many guys that are great with the puck , it's just a fact of life unfortunately and when Briere is out, that gets even worse. You look at a night like last night when Carter didn't play that great, Knuble dragged down the Richie-Gagne line, and Metro's line wasn't outstanding and you wonder why ppl think this can be an elite offensive team without Briere.

In 2 years time with Giroux and JVR, I can see that argument. Right now, it has no merit, a lot of these guys just aren't consistent yet.

I also think we still need a big scoring line.
If you are right, Holmgren should be fired immediately.

Fortunately for Homer, you are pretty much completely wrong, so it's all good.

Old
11-22-2008, 09:39 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If you are right, Holmgren should be fired immediately.

Fortunately for Homer, you are pretty much completely wrong, so it's all good.
Meh, what do you disagree with in that statement?

Old
11-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
do they miss him? sure...has it had much of an effect? no. we're 4th in the league in PP efficiency, and Briere has only contributed to 4 of our 17 PP goals...add in that he's played in less than half the games to this point in the season.

PP remains the last thing to be concerned about with this team.

And, for the record, since Briere got here...Richards has been the better offensive player of the two.

Old
11-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Was this from the game last night? (caption says so on DelcoTimes' website):

I dont think so, I dont remember that many flyer jerseys in the stands right behind the goalie. That looks more like a home game, I could easily be wrong though. Happens all the time.

Mkoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
I dont think so, I dont remember that many flyer jerseys in the stands right behind the goalie. That looks more like a home game, I could easily be wrong though. Happens all the time.
well, you're definitely wrong about the home game part...look at the jerseys the team is wearing.

Old
11-22-2008, 09:54 AM
flyersfan97

Marty with the second star on nhl.com.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:57 AM
MountainHawk

Richards is an elite offensive player.

Gagne is pretty good with the puck.

So is Carter.

Lupul is average with it, definitely more of a sniper, but he not useless as a setup guy.

We also have plenty of guys on the backline that can move the puck as well.

The Flyers are an elite offensive team. Get the team more healthy, and they might be THE elite offensive team in the East.

Old
11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
do they miss him? sure...has it had much of an effect? no. we're 4th in the league in PP efficiency, and Briere has only contributed to 4 of our 17 PP goals...add in that he's played in less than half the games to this point in the season.

PP remains the last thing to be concerned about with this team.

And, for the record, since Briere got here...Richards has been the better offensive player of the two.

Yeah, and our most dangerous offense for the past 5 games has been shorthanded for the most part. The PP misses Briere, last night made that abundantly obvious, total lack of ideas, ended up being a succession of shots from the half wall.

I don't think I'd say Richards has been the better offensive player, obviously he's been the better overall player. But half of Richie's points last year were PP points and you yourself said at times last year that there were plenty of secondary assists and whatnot in there, Briere is more important to the PP than Richie, no question.

The fact remains that without Briere, we do not have an elite playmaker and if you look at most teams to win the Cup, they all have elite playmakers.

Old
11-22-2008, 10:04 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Richards is an elite offensive player.

Gagne is pretty good with the puck.

So is Carter.

Lupul is average with it, definitely more of a sniper, but he not useless as a setup guy.

We also have plenty of guys on the backline that can move the puck as well.

The Flyers are an elite offensive team. Get the team more healthy, and they might be THE elite offensive team in the East.
Richards is not an elite offensive player. To be an elite offensive player, you need to have the brains and the tools. Richie has the brains, but not the tools. What tools does Richie have? He's not fast, he's not particularly elusive, he doesn't have a particularly great shot (wrister or slapper). The guy lives off his brains and heart and doing that is going to make him one of the top 30 players in the NHL if he's not there already.

But that doesn't make him elite offensively.

On the other hand, you have Carter who has all the tools to be an elite offensive player, speed, size, fantastic shot, and playmaking ability. But until he starts being less selfish and making the people around him better (something Richie does, but Carter doesn't), he's not going to be elite either.

Gagne plays defense, has burners, and has an incredible release. He's not an above average passer.

And you are seriously throwing Lupul into the conversation? The guy with 1 assist this season?

Old
11-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, and our most dangerous offense for the past 5 games has been shorthanded for the most part. The PP misses Briere, last night made that abundantly obvious, total lack of ideas, ended up being a succession of shots from the half wall.
4th in the league...Briere has played less than HALF of the games to this point. If Briere's absence was killing our PP, we'd be in the middle of the league, not one of the most dangerous PPs out there.

I mean, are you serious with this? Pittsburgh would trade PPs with us right now, and you're complaining about what they're doing out there?

And you think my critique of Carle is a joke.

Quote:
I don't think I'd say Richards has been the better offensive player, obviously he's been the better overall player. But half of Richie's points last year were PP points and you yourself said at times last year that there were plenty of secondary assists and whatnot in there, Briere is more important to the PP than Richie, no question.
Richards has been the better offensive player of the two and it isn't even close. He's been a better even strength player, and a dangerous point player on the PP. More than half of Briere's points come off of the PP--something he excels at--but that doesn't equate to him being a "better offensive player" than Richards.

As far as the secondary assist comment...you say this as if Briere doesn't pick up those points, too?

Is Briere more important? I'd agree with that...but our production on the PP has been more than fine without him on the PP. Elite in the league, in fact.

Quote:
The fact remains that without Briere, we do not have an elite playmaker and if you look at most teams to win the Cup, they all have elite playmakers.
Well, Richards had more assists than Briere last year (in less games)...and is on pace to blow that number out of the water this year. So if you think Briere is "an elite playmaker," then you're going to have to concede that Richards is too.

Old
11-22-2008, 10:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

EDIT: Happened already...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote