HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, the Bad, and the Miller

Old
11-22-2008, 09:15 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Didn't think we played horribly..
I'm going to have to agree with this. A loss always sucks, but I feel like the reaction to this loss is more of a reaction to the losing streak.

I thought that the team put in a good effort, was consistently physical, and played a hungry game. I think that the effort that we saw would win most games.

So here's my GBU:

Good:
-CMac - Had some great shifts. Used his speed well, and played strong along the boards. Didn't stand out much after the 2nd period.
-Goose - Most physical player of the night? Really asserting himself.
-Lydman - 2nd most physical player? I remember him just dropping someone on the PK (Richards?).
-Spaceks save early in the game.
-Mancari had some good shifts, and I was sure that we were going to see a goal from him.
-Marty - When he wasn't good... he was lucky. Hate his colors... but love to see him play well.
-Peters. Nice fight against Gratton. Gratton thought he would get the jump on him... whupps.

Bad
-Losing streak extended 1 more game.
-Rivet. I wasn't real impressed by his game. He seemed off.
-Sbisa. He played alright, but if there were 30 hits in this game... I think he received 29 of them . It seemed like he was on the business end of just about every hit that the team threw.

Ugly
-People blaming Miller for a loss in which the team is missing empty nets and blowing 2 5 on 3's.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
I can't find anything to fault about the Sabres performance last night without nitpicking. It was probably their best effort of the season. They played well enough to win. Biron played well enough to see that didn't happen. They may have turned the corner even though they lost. If they play this well against the Islanders, they'll win. If they revert to giving an inconsistent effort, Ruff's head will explode.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:12 AM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Finally a good game from Goose. I didn't even think Biron played that well, he was flopping around and got himself out of position on several occasions. We just couldn't finish

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 12:18 PM
goSabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
This.

Miller certainly wasn't good, but I never expect a goaltender to get a shutout. I do expect my offense to score 2-3 goals minimum each game, and I don't think that's unrealistic. While this wasn't like Miller standing on his head, getting an unfortunate break, and losing, it wasn't him that blew this game. The Sabres had plenty of chances to win this one for him, and the offense blew it.

It's not Miller's fault the team didn't score 5-on-3. Or the second time they had a 5-on-3. Or any of the PP chances

It's not Miller's fault that Vanek blew his breakaway. Or that Stafford missed the net not once, not twice, but three times. The number of blown chances the offense had was way more than the number of goals Miller let in. If they score on 25% of those quality chances, this game is at minimum tied.

"but I never expect a goaltender to get a shutout" ==> Biron won the game for Flyers. Miller lost the game for Sabres.

"It's not Miller's fault the team didn't score 5-on-3. Or the second time they had a 5-on-3. Or any of the PP chances. It's not Miller's fault that Vanek blew his breakaway." ==> Biron was fantastic on both 5-on-3's. Miller made sure the key chances worked for them. I compare goalie for goalie. Biron stopped key chances for Flyers. Miller didn't.

goSabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goSabres View Post
"but I never expect a goaltender to get a shutout" ==> Biron won the game for Flyers. Miller lost the game for Sabres.

"It's not Miller's fault the team didn't score 5-on-3. Or the second time they had a 5-on-3. Or any of the PP chances. It's not Miller's fault that Vanek blew his breakaway." ==> Biron was fantastic on both 5-on-3's. Miller made sure the key chances worked for them. I compare goalie for goalie. Biron stopped key chances for Flyers. Miller didn't.
Why not compare offenses to offenses? Philly converted on their chances. Buffalo didn't.

Yet Miller is the convenient scapegoat.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote