HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Development Camp Notes

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2004, 12:04 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Development Camp Notes

I'm back home from the development camp, here are some notes.

I had a long talk with Christopher Heino-Lindberg's father, it was fun to talk about Swedish hockey with Mr. Lindberg. We talked about how Christopher handled being on such a poor poor hockey team (Vallentuna, who have been regulated to the tier-3 leauge) some games he would fave 60-70 shots, but it seems to have been a good experience for him, as he looks to take over the starting job for Hammerby who are one of the top teams in the tier-2. We also talked about Johan Eneqvist and other non Hab Swedish prospects as well. Halak's goalie coach was next to me, but I didn't want to bother him (plus I didn't know if he spoke English)

Other notes,

Halak looked much better as he seems to have more confidence, but on the other hand, Lacasse seemed to have a tough day although he's doing well for it being his first camp.

Lindberg was solid again, and Danis as well.

On defense Archer, Cote, O'Byrne, Korpikari have stuck out, all seem to be very strong guys. I was standing next to Archer after camp and it's funny how much he looks like a skinner Komisarek. He has been one of the most impressive at camp imo, he looks ready for Hamilton.

Cote I hope they pick him up, cause he seems to get along well with the players, is strong, works hard, and was the only player I saw help the trainers carry the pucks across the rink.

O'Byrne is showing good speed and strength got hit hard by Bonneau along the boards though. I think he was the one who broke the glass with his slapp shot when they were just shooting around yesterday. (I was at the other end and heard it break) When he fills out some more, look out, I only hope he doesn't lose much speed, cause at his current level he will be able to crush a lot of players. I look forward to seeing him at Cornell next year.

Korpikari you can see he's been playing in a mens league, as he looks very mature and professional out there. Just gets it done, has done well all camp, imo solid but not great.

As for the forwards, Lambert had a few nice shots, Lapierre continues to look good, seems to work on his slap shot a lot.

Urquhart has looked good, he'll need a strong showing at the rookie camp though, as I would hate to see him back at PEI, but his lack of physical game/strength will be a tough decision for Gainey.

Locke has looked good, I would expect him to be in Hamilton next year, he's had some flashy stick work that's been fun to watch. He's very short though, I don't think his height is a problem, but his lack of lower body strength may give him trouble along the boards and in the crease. Still great vision and passing abilities with a good shot.

Ferland is having a solid camp as well, seems to have worked on the skating a bit, and has been working hard all camp from what I've seen. Look forward to seeing him in Hamilton next season.

Chipchura I got to see a lot of today, his skating is fine, even slightly above average. His foot speed will need some work, along with his shot power. He seems to get along with everyone at camp, and looks like a very hard worker. He's got a solid frame on him, so I'd say he'll add a few more pounds for sure, although he'll have to be careful, as he can't afford to slow down any. Hopefully someone works with him on his shot. He had some nice ones in close, but not a lot on it.

Kostitsyn as it is now spelled, hasn't been setting the camp on fire. Sometimes he will score a sweet goal but other times he looks like he's taking it easy. His shot is impressive though. His wrist shot missed the net, and the next shot was a slap shot from Archer that missed the net, and the thud from Kostitsyn's wrist shot was louder then Archer's slap shot. He gets his shot off quickly but they have been all over the place. He scored one wicked goal on Halak, I don't know how he got it in, there was very little room to squeeze it in. Still I have to say I have been slightly disappointed, as he seems to be struggling a bit out there in some of the drills. I hope he's signed though, it would be great to see him in Hamilton.

I'll have a little something on every player when the article is done.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:11 AM
db23

Wasn't Locke one of the strongest guys in the rope pull exercises? That would seem to indicate good lower body strength.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:24 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Wasn't Locke one of the strongest guys in the rope pull exercises? That would seem to indicate good lower body strength.

not from what I saw, look at his lower body he doesn't have much leg muscle. His upper body seems to have gotten bigger/stonger, but not the lower body.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Arel

good to know that...when are the simulate matchs (Kostitsyn will be on fire )

Old
07-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Aarex

Hrm everyone has been commenting on how strong locke's skating has been, was hoping you'd be able to confirm that for us. but i guess thats not the case

Old
07-14-2004, 12:42 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
Hrm everyone has been commenting on how strong locke's skating has been, was hoping you'd be able to confirm that for us. but i guess thats not the case

His skating has improved along with his foot speed, but to me he's lacking lower body strength.

Old
07-14-2004, 01:03 AM
Habs

Thanks for the report amigo, it's always appreciated.

Old
07-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Traitor8

Do you know when they are going to start the friendly exhibitions matches?

I hope they put this Locke and Kostitsyn on the same line vs a Chipchura line while O'Bryne is on D.

I'm gonna go a few times this week ..Hopefully..what will you be wearing? will you be there alone?

Old
07-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Raider917

vCash: 179
why is it still so up in the air whether kostitsyn will play in hamilton this season or not? what is the difficulty in signing him to play in the ahl?

Old
07-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Halak looked much better as he seems to have more confidence, but on the other hand, Lacasse seemed to have a tough day although he's doing well for it being his first camp.

Lindberg was solid again, and Danis as well.
With the few you saw, how would you rate Halak vs Danis now ?

Old
07-14-2004, 10:06 AM
TomasPlekanec

Quote:
His wrist shot missed the net, and the next shot was a slap shot from Archer that missed the net, and the thud from Kostitsyn's wrist shot was louder then Archer's slap shot.
Now That's Impressive

Old
07-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
why is it still so up in the air whether kostitsyn will play in hamilton this season or not? what is the difficulty in signing him to play in the ahl?
Signing him, and moreso working out a deal with his Russian club to get him out of his contract there, won't be particularly easy and might not be cheap.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
With the few you saw, how would you rate Halak vs Danis now ?

No way. Danis imo was clearly the top goalie of the 3 days. He's very sound positionally, and has quick moves. I was impressed with the way he reads the shooters, although he did let in a few, there was hardly any defense, most drills were 2-0, 3-0's, 1-0 in close with someone behind the net passing. But Danis is also much older then the others, so he's had more development time. His skill level imo puts him at the top of the goalies.

Actually I would put Lindberg closer to Halak now. Lindberg was very impressive. He's very quick and positionally sound. He'll be at the U-20 tournament next month in the USA (Team Sweden vs Team Finland and Team USA)

Halak seemed to struggle a bit, and he's got a unorthadox system. In day 3 he looked a lot more aggressive and confident which was great to see but we'll see how he does in the Q.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
No way. Danis imo was clearly the top goalie of the 3 days. He's very sound positionally, and has quick moves. I was impressed with the way he reads the shooters, although he did let in a few, there was hardly any defense, most drills were 2-0, 3-0's, 1-0 in close with someone behind the net passing. But Danis is also much older then the others, so he's had more development time. His skill level imo puts him at the top of the goalies.

Actually I would put Lindberg closer to Halak now. Lindberg was very impressive. He's very quick and positionally sound. He'll be at the U-20 tournament next month in the USA (Team Sweden vs Team Finland and Team USA)

Halak seemed to struggle a bit, and he's got a unorthadox system. In day 3 he looked a lot more aggressive and confident which was great to see but we'll see how he does in the Q.
Yeah I understand that his unorthodox style could cause him some problems, meaning that his progression will take a longer time to be a good NHLer (see Martin Prusek).

Old
07-14-2004, 10:38 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I am don't worried about Kost because I am sure he was tired this day off will help him a lot to take some rest as for teh drills I am 14 and I am good in a game but I am very very not good in the drills I am just not giving my 100% but when it comes the time of a game I am giving always my 110% so maybe it's the same for Kost I just want to see him in Hamilton it will be great for him and us.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:40 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917

Kostitsyn is signed to play for CSKA for 2 years. He can not play anywhere else until CSKA is given compensation for him. After that he needs to be given a contract. Once signed, management will decide where he will play. Either Medcine Hat, Hamilton or Habs. I have no idea what they will do with him, but if he's over here, I would guess or hope it's Hamilton as Doug Jarvis would be able to work on his defensive game.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:49 AM
penopekoo

Quote:

Whoa... I must have missed this. Halak's coming over to play in the QMJHL?

If so, that's great news...

Old
07-14-2004, 10:54 AM
penopekoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo

Actually, I found the article:

http://www.lewistonhockey.com/popupNews.php?id=98

I like this a lot. Lewiston isn't all that good, though... new team. And MAINEiacs is easily the funniest team name in the Q.

Anyway, some players are drafted to Q teams but don't come over - is it guaranteed he'll be here? I get the impression Halak really wants to play in the NHL eventually.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

I'm not aware of it being "official" yet that he is or is not coming over, but I have to say I'd love to see him do it. Sure, he is playing at a higher level in a men's league in Slovakia, and sure, he's making more money, etc, by doing so. And his numbers speak for themselves. But at the same time, he is just such a fundamentally shaky guy, I wish he could be closer to some North American goalie coaching so that he can get his technique straightened out. He is overflowing with natural ability and talent, and if he doesn't soon get the kinks worked out, he'll be in big trouble, career-wise.

I'm all for Gainey taking a hardline and conservative approach with respect to existing NHLers and free agents, but I wish he would bend over backwards to accomodate prospect development, like urging Halak and Kostitsyn to get over here, and fighting for Perezhogin.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Actually, I found the article:

http://www.lewistonhockey.com/popupNews.php?id=98

I like this a lot. Lewiston isn't all that good, though... new team. And MAINEiacs is easily the funniest team name in the Q.

Anyway, some players are drafted to Q teams but don't come over - is it guaranteed he'll be here? I get the impression Halak really wants to play in the NHL eventually.

I had heard before the import draft that he might be coming to the CHL cause he wouldn't get a spot in the mens league, and didn't want to return to the Slovakian juniors. So with him being drafted by Lewiston makes sense, although we'll have to wait and see if he comes over or not. I wanted to ask his goalie coach but I didn't see him after camp was over.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:10 PM
TomasPlekanec

Quote:
I had heard before the import draft that he might be coming to the CHL cause he wouldn't get a spot in the mens league, and didn't want to return to the Slovakian juniors. So with him being drafted by Lewiston makes sense, although we'll have to wait and see if he comes over or not. I wanted to ask his goalie coach but I didn't see him after camp was over.
Will he have the starting job if he does come over? I don't follow the Q very much and I'm wondering if Lewiston has some better goalies then Halak? I think it would be great for him to play a long schedule as the starter in NorthAmerica, would be great for his developpement...

Old
07-14-2004, 12:22 PM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasPlekanec
Will he have the starting job if he does come over? I don't follow the Q very much and I'm wondering if Lewiston has some better goalies then Halak? I think it would be great for him to play a long schedule as the starter in NorthAmerica, would be great for his developpement...
they drafted john Bernier in the 1st round, but i doubt he will start right away

Old
07-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I'm not aware of it being "official" yet that he is or is not coming over, but I have to say I'd love to see him do it. Sure, he is playing at a higher level in a men's league in Slovakia, and sure, he's making more money, etc, by doing so. And his numbers speak for themselves. But at the same time, he is just such a fundamentally shaky guy, I wish he could be closer to some North American goalie coaching so that he can get his technique straightened out. He is overflowing with natural ability and talent, and if he doesn't soon get the kinks worked out, he'll be in big trouble, career-wise.

I'm all for Gainey taking a hardline and conservative approach with respect to existing NHLers and free agents, but I wish he would bend over backwards to accomodate prospect development, like urging Halak and Kostitsyn to get over here, and fighting for Perezhogin.
It's hard to say what Gainey is doing in this regard really. He keeps things pretty close to the vest. For all we know, he may be working with Halak's and/or Kostitsyn's agent right now. I think you'll agree that there are many intangibles involved when it comes to 19 or 20 year old kids moving to another continent and society, let alone the hockey development angle. Professionalism, calm and patience go a long way. Personally, I agree with your opinion and I'd like to see Halak work with Melanson ASAP.

I suspect Perezhogin is very much a priority. The kid may be a little shell shocked right now from the media blitz so the delicate touch may be called for here.

Old
07-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Subban Fan

[Kostitsyn as it is now spelled, hasn't been setting the camp on fire. Sometimes he will score a sweet goal but other times he looks like he's taking it easy. His shot is impressive though. His wrist shot missed the net, and the next shot was a slap shot from Archer that missed the net, and the thud from Kostitsyn's wrist shot was louder then Archer's slap shot. He gets his shot off quickly but they have been all over the place. He scored one wicked goal on Halak, I don't know how he got it in, there was very little room to squeeze it in. Still I have to say I have been slightly disappointed, as he seems to be struggling a bit out there in some of the drills. I hope he's signed though, it would be great to see him in Hamilton.

Did it changes your opinion on him???

Old
07-14-2004, 05:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1
[Kostitsyn as it is now spelled, hasn't been setting the camp on fire. Sometimes he will score a sweet goal but other times he looks like he's taking it easy. His shot is impressive though. His wrist shot missed the net, and the next shot was a slap shot from Archer that missed the net, and the thud from Kostitsyn's wrist shot was louder then Archer's slap shot. He gets his shot off quickly but they have been all over the place. He scored one wicked goal on Halak, I don't know how he got it in, there was very little room to squeeze it in. Still I have to say I have been slightly disappointed, as he seems to be struggling a bit out there in some of the drills. I hope he's signed though, it would be great to see him in Hamilton.

Did it changes your opinion on him???

no.

As for Halak if he's in Lewiston, he should be the starter.

Closed Thread